System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Hi all,

Currenlty i am using asp .net 2.0 and oracle 10g.

My current arhitechture look like this

Server A - Oracle database 10g

Server B - Web application and Oracle 10 g client

 I am using System.Data.OracleClient for database connection. It work fine when i doing development. But after i published and deployed in IIS. i get System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. I also try to search from the internet through that error message but the solution that i get seems like not work. I am stucks, Please help

Thanks a million Help

0
yewmeng

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

it requires Oracle10g Release 2 ODAC 10.2.0.2.20  to be installed on the Application server. Try it out .

Mahboob

0
MAHBOOB123
12/5/2006 4:26:15 AM

There is known bug with Oracle installer which does not setup rights on folders as expected, so IUSR_ or ASPNET machine user can't access appropriate Oracle Client DLL's.

Try to add Everyone / Read for Oracle home and all subfolders and restart IIS - this should solve problem.

Regards,
Dejan Vesić

MCAD for .Net technologies | http://www.vesic.org/english/ | Blog: http://www.vesic.org/english/blog/
0
Dejan
12/5/2006 6:03:47 AM

System.Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.
at System.Data.OracleClient.OCI.DetermineClientVersio n()
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection. OpenOnLocalTransaction(String userName, String password, String serverName, Boolean integratedSecurity, Boolean unicode, Boolean omitOracleConnectionName)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleInternalConnection. .ctor(OracleConnectionString connectionOptions)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnectionFactory.C reateConnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection)
at System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory)
at System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection.Open()
at QuoteService.connStr() in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FirstApplBasu\App_Code\QuoteSer vice.cs:line 109
at QuoteService.InsertRec() in c:\Inetpub\wwwroot\FirstApplBasu\App_Code\QuoteSer vice.cs:line 118

To fix the above problem i have tried the Authenticated Users group privilege to the Oracle Home directory.

* Log on to Windwos as a user with Administrator privileges.
* Start Window Explorer and navigate to the ORACLE_HOME folder.
* Choose properties on the ORACLE_HOME folder.
* Click the “Security” tab of the “Properties” window.
* Click on “Authenticated Users” item in the “Name” list.
* Uncheck the “Read and Execute” box in the “Permissions” list under the “Allow” column.
* Re-check the “Read and Execute” box under the “Allow” column
* Click the “Advanced” button and in the “Permission Entries” verify that “Authenticated Users” are listed with permission = “Read & Execute”, and Apply To = “This folder, subfolders and files”. If not, edit that line and make sure that “Apply To” drop-down box is set to “This folder, subfolders and files”. This should already be set properly but it is important that you verify it.
* Click the “Ok” button until you close out all of the security properties windows. The cursor may present the hour glass for a few seconds as it applies the permissions you just changed to all subfolders and files.
* Reboot, to assure that the changes have taken effect.

after trying them also no use im getting same error could any one help me regarding this

in advance thanks,
Basaveswari
0
Basaveswari
4/18/2007 12:12:20 PM

To either of you still having the issue, are you using mixed clients (eg: 9i / 10g), or are you purely 10g?

....and what IIS versions are you working with?

....Have you installed any Oracle-specific items that deal with data access recently?

... .Oh and do you have multiple Oracle Homes defined?

Daniel Pennington
(Insert Significant Credentials and Witty Comment Here)
-1
dcpennington2
5/2/2007 9:29:03 PM
I was having the same issue. My problem was that the permissions were not propagating down to the bin directory. I had to explicity grant read and execute privilages to the ASPNet user on the bin directory, not just the oracle home directory.
0
hughy
5/8/2007 4:07:37 PM

I was having the same problem with a few projects and no matter how many permissions I changed I still got the error. I had to eventually recreate my VS websites/projects from scratch.

Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.
0
jfmccarthy
6/1/2007 9:23:22 PM
restart iis
0
oursky
6/19/2007 9:42:12 AM

try ODPdotNet as db driver instead of other db drivers

0
tata32
10/18/2007 2:10:48 AM

Hi Yewmeng,

I am facing the similar problem as you mentioned in the above. I am using System.Data.OracleClient for database connection. I have installed Oracle 10.1.0 client software and application is working fine on my development machine. After deployed, I am getting error message System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. I gave Internet guest account (IUSR_) and Everyone read and execute permissions on Oracle folder. Still the same error. Appreciate if you can tell me how did you solve this issue.

 Thanks a lot, Shailaja

0
sgunturu
5/20/2008 11:05:48 PM

hello every body, just i need to know how i will go to this path "* Start Window Explorer and navigate to the ORACLE_HOME folder. " cause on my Machine there is no Oracle_home can any one give me the path.

that means i opened window explorer then what i will type ....

thanks

0
bagera
9/24/2008 9:35:45 AM

thanks guys i found it its from "folder option" the problem with simple file sharing it must be unchecked

thanks alot

0
bagera
9/24/2008 9:45:22 AM

Hi, I had the same problem and solved it by changing the security setting as described but with one further step. On the Advanced tab check Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects. Then reset iis. YAY it worked at last.

Madre

0
madre
10/31/2008 3:07:54 AM

Hello

I am facing great problem with Oracle and ASP.Net tried a lot but could not sort out the problem

anyways just want to know that On my Pc I haev installed Oracle10g and Asp.Net 2.0  and Windows Xp

I am able to connect to Oracle Server and have sysDba rights.

Should I have to give permission on my PC or on server.

I tried a lot on giving permission to OraNT Folder, but there is no Security as its only on server.

So Do i have to give Permissions on Oracle Server.

and also Do I have to Install IIS on Oracle Server.

Please Reply as soon as possible

Thanks in Advance.

0
vsurana
4/10/2009 10:29:18 AM

Hi All,

 For furthere reference which would help others

 http://forums.asp.net/t/1197847.aspx

Thanks

Suresh Kumar Goudampally

0
suresh_g_v2002
4/10/2009 11:09:51 AM

Does ASP.net 2.0 support connectivity to Oracle 8.0 version ?

PLz Reply

0
vsurana
4/11/2009 11:12:05 AM

It supports ,

Use System.Data.OracleClient  to connect to oracle 8.0

Thanks

Suresh Kumar Goudampally

0
suresh_g_v2002
4/13/2009 5:09:00 AM

Hi

thanks for the reply

I already tried giving Read&Execute permission to Authenticated Users
Group and Internet Users on the Oracle Server  and reboot the server .

Uninstall and Installed the Oracle on my PC. still problem exists

But that did't work either.

Please its urgent.

I have just hanged up with this problem.

Please please what to do ?

0
vsurana
4/14/2009 3:45:48 AM

Do I have to Install any Component or dll on the server for Oracle to work with Asp.net

Is IIS necessary to present on server .

1
vsurana
4/14/2009 4:12:21 AM

 In order to work with Oracle in ASP.NET, you need to:

1. Install Oracle on machine which will be database server

That is it - nothing more on this server

On machine which will run your application (if this is not same as machine (1)) you need to install:

2.1 IIS (if it is not installed already)

2.2 .Net Framework of appropriate version (2.0, 3.0, 3.5 or all) - version depends on which Framework you develop application

2.3 Appropriate Oracle client with Oracle OLEDB layer (usualy called Oracle Data Access Components - ODAC)

You also need to install (2.3) on your development machine where you installed Visual Studio.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Dejan Vesić

MCAD for .Net technologies | http://www.vesic.org/english/ | Blog: http://www.vesic.org/english/blog/
0
Dejan
4/14/2009 6:14:42 AM

Vsurana,
Are you able to connect to your Oracle DB using your Orale client. Try to use 10g client instead.

Many Thanks & Best Regards,
HuaMin Chen

(Mark it as answer if it does help you!)
0
wmec
4/14/2009 7:01:14 AM

Thank you Dejan.

This fixed the issue for me.

I am using Oracle 10g, with WCF service.

0
djuj

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client Software version 8.1.7 or greater
I am getting folowing error running Windows 2003 Server, Oracle 9i (9.2.0) and .NET 1.1 "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client Software version 8.1.7 or greater". Does anyone have any ideas on resolving this issue? I do in fact have the client tools installed and what I am really confused about is my dev box running the exact same instalation of Oracle 9i and running XP Pro everthing works just fine so I beleieve it is an OS issue. The application I am testing is MS PetShop 3.0Steven M. Swaffordhttp://aspalliance.com/author.aspx?uId=1158Dont forget to click "Ma...

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. #2
Hellow All Forum Member, i have big problem in IIS Setting.i use Asp.Net 2.0 and Oracle 10g. in Visual studio Editer  it work fine . but if i deploy it in IIS then following error coming System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. pls help me Thanking You Salman Do you have the Oracle client installed on the web servicer?  Oracle.DataAccess.dll is not enough. I am also facing the same issue when i deploy my code into IIS. If anybody has a solution then can you please let me know at prashanthgajra@gmail.com. Hi prashanth...

system.data.oracleclient requires oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. #4
Hi I am in development server and accessing the oracle database which is ther in linux server through ip address but its giving me the following error when iam connecting to server just to retrive the records with simple select query system.data.oracleclient requires oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. Any one has the knowledge that why iam getting this error - Thanks Thanks Shaik Mujahid Ullah   Pls go to setup 8i/9i clientsMany Thanks & Best Regards,HuaMin Chen(Mark it as answer if it does help you!)Mail it to me at HuaMin_Chen@Ymail.com for the client-server...

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater #2
Hi I have a problem. In my Website I want to access to an Oracle database with a gridview. When I run my website In Visual studio 2005 the page display Data vey well. But I have publishing my website with IIS on my local Machine, and when I execute The site I have this error: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater My database is done in Oracle 8i. What can I do ta solve this Problem Thank you. PS: Sorry for my bad expression In english I am a francophone.  This problem because Security permissions were not properl...

system.data.oracleclient requires oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater #4
Greetings, I have Installed oracle 8i and using ASP.Net 2.0 I am getting the above mentioned error and when I searched there were suggestions i.e. check the Oracle Home folder rights, change the user name in the machine config file and restart the computer. I did all these but still I am getting the same error. I need you help Best regards, Pervaiz Hi,   8i didnt have the permissions problem that you see so many posts regarding this error message.   So, quite simply, system.data.oracleclient cant find the Oracle client dlls, most likely oci.dll.   Is OracleHo...

Help on System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater?
I have problem with  System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.At first  I installed 10g oracle developer on my machine and it had all the services and TNS name. With this I used to connect to oracle database using asp.net user.Meaning when I run web application in asp.net it used to connect to Oracle database and get the the information I want. Now the problem started on machine when I installed oracle 6i because  I wanted to access the data using the old data.Now when I installed 6i I would access both 10 g database and 6i applaication...

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater #3
Hi,    I am using Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 and Oracle 10g as a database.When I am using .Net framework Data provider for OLEDB ,it is running(getting the data from the table).Using .Net framework Data provider for Oracle ,it is not running.  I am getting the error:  System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater I was given the full access in the Oracle Home folder,still it is not running. Please advise me.   To connect to VS 2005 to Oracle 10g Server you need Oracle client to be installed in your deve...

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. #3
We have a ASP.NET appln which connects to Oracle database for data. We have installed  Oracle 11g client software in the application server to connec to DB server. It works fine in Windows XP environement in production we have Windows server 2003 (workgroup) its not working there it gives error message  "System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater."   Note: On installing Oracle 11g in Windows 2003 Oracle MTS service gave some error we ignored it.   Thanks, ~ Raj  - You need to grant the permissions to...

Error : System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.
Hi, I am using System.Data.OracleClient to connect to the oracle database from .NET 2.0 application. But it gives me error saying : Error : System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. I checked my system I am using oracle version 9.2.0. So should i need to do anything to solve this problem. Thank you.  Have you tried this?http://theniceweb.com/LizisBlog/2006/09/oracle-client-tools-and-net.html http://forums.asp.net/t/327841.aspx Regards,PrashantDont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. Prashan...

help needed :: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater
 Hi all,I have problem accessing oracle database and I have tried the solutions from all over the web and still got no luck. here is my error:System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. I have oracle_home directory in my PATH and I also have ORACLE_HOME defined. I tried to give permission to oracle_home directory to "read and execute" and reboot and still not luck. I am using asp .net 2.0 and oracle 10g client. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot. Cheers!   Restart your server after chan...

"System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater." error message?
This error often occurs with our team, this seemed a .NET (or Oracle bug) because we can fix it (not always) with some security tricks. Does it has happened with your applications, and how to fix? Thanks, p.s: .NET 1.0, SP2, Oracle 9i 9.0.2 (both client/server). Hi, Version 9.0.2? Are you running iAS as well? "Normal" oracle versions are 901, and 920 (although 902 is some sort of "special" version that comes with iAS). If using 920, its not "security tricks" you're doing. Its the real fix. The default 920 install permissions were botched, ...

System.Data.OracleClient requires OracleClient software version 8.1.7 or Higher"
Hello all. I have copied a project from machine A to machine B 1)when i open this  as project/solution  and run the prject and login then i get error System.Data.OracleClient requires OracleClient software version 8.1.7 or Higher" 2)if i open it as website i dnt get intellisense in code  and changes  in code are not reflected   but when i run i am able to login   but project on Machine A runs successfuly  even i open it as project/soln  and not website I tried deleting dll and building it again still i get the same error as above Please gu...

"System.Data.OracleClient requires OracleClient software version 8.1.7 or Higher"
Hi,  I am using Visual Studio 2005 ,Oracle 10g and ASP 2.0  When I create a web page using DataGridview Data Provider  When using .Net framework Data provider for OLEDB, I am getting Data. But when using .Net framework Data provider for Oracle,I am getting the error called "System.Data.OracleClient requires OracleClient software version 8.1.7 or Higher" Please help to resolve it . Hi If you are having the oracle in the different server you must install the oracle client on the webserver  machine.So install the client and try again. to down...

Where can I get native PB drivers for ( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3
( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3 with SQL *Net version 2.x , 32 bit implementation. All versions of PB Enterprise (5,6,7) have the native O73 driver. If you have PB Professional, you can only use ODBC to connect to Oracle. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Check out Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn Veena Madhavi <bveenamadhavi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:38A8FD91.6218D227@hotmail.com... > ( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3 with SQL > *Net version 2...

Web resources about - System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater. - asp.net.oracle

Newest 'migration' Questions - Stack Overflow
... some database servers all works fine, but on the other for some unknown reason errors occur.I'm use the following code:using System.Data.OracleClient;... ...

Grand Unification Theory
We recently switched to VS.NET 2003 (.NET 1.1) at work, yet we're still using third party assemblies compiled under .NET 1.0. Now, ideally, you'd ...

A Map for the Microsoft Application Development Platform
... Data.Mapping Data.Metadata.Edm Data.Objects Data.Objects.DataClasses Data.Objects.SqlClient Data.Odbc Data.OleDb Data.OracleClient ...

What's worse than a Bad Error Message?
But as bad as those are, they pale in comparsion to what is, hands down, the worst kind of error message: a beautiful, well-formatted, informative, ...