Segment Shrink

 Does anyone know if using the alter table SHRINK SPACE COMPACT will have any negative impact to the indexes? From what I have read, this will cause Oracle to re-assign the rowids to the table.

__________________________

Download Songs

0
alexbob45

shrink_clause

The shrink clause lets you manually shrink space in a table, index-organized table or its overflow segment, index, partition, subpartition, LOB segment, materialized view, or materialized view log. This clause is valid only for segments in tablespaces with automatic segment management. By default, Oracle Database compacts the segment, adjusts the high water mark, and releases the recuperated space immediately.

Compacting the segment requires row movement. Therefore, you must enable row movement for the object you want to shrink before specifying this clause. Further, if your application has any rowid-based triggers, you should disable them before issuing this clause.

COMPACT If you specify COMPACT, then Oracle Database only defragments the segment space and compacts the table rows for subsequent release. The database does not readjust the high water mark and does not release the space immediately. You must issue another ALTER TABLE ... SHRINK SPACE statement later to complete the operation. This clause is useful if you want to accomplish the shrink operation in two shorter steps rather than one longer step.

For an index or index-organized table, specifying ALTER [INDEX | TABLE] ... SHRINK SPACE COMPACT is equivalent to specifying ALTER [INDEX | TABLE ... COALESCE. The shrink_clause can be cascaded (please refer to the CASCADE clause, which follows) and compacts the segment more densely than does a coalesce operation, which can improve performance. However, if you do not want to release the unused space, then you can use the appropriate COALESCE clause.

Many Thanks & Best Regards,
HuaMin Chen

(Mark it as answer if it does help you!)
0
wmec

.NET Oracle Provider
Hi all,I am using .NET 2.0 Frameworks Oracle provider and it does not have a OracleDbTypes Type for me to use. I would like to create a parameter that is of the Oracle type NVARCHAR, but it seems I can only use DbTypes, which does not have this. If I used DbTypes.String, would this be ok, otherwise, how else can I be more specific about the Oracle Parameter data type?Thanks  can u explain which type of data u r going to storeThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. What's your version of ODP? You have OracleD...

Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle
Can anyone provide me pros and cons of provider to access Oracle Database ? I am aware of Microsoft Provider and Oracle Provider. Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manprooracperf.asp Oracle http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html I guess you can use either. But as some post suggests, if both installed, then MS ODP will not work. I've been using DataDirect Technologies Connect for .Net and Oracle. It's not free, so it depends on your budget. The speed improvements were great for us, and it's ni...

Oracle ODP.net mulitple Oracle Client
To connect to the oracle database using ODP.net, the applicate must add the dll file called Oracle.DataAccess. There are a lot of version of Oracle.DataAccess. As I know, if the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2. If the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2, the application also have to use the Oracle.DataAccess the come from Oracle Client 10g Release 2.  My question is that there are any method to add more than one Oracle.DataAccess version in my product to support multiple OracleClient.   That should automatically happen for the most part.  Oracle's ODP.NET i...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

Oracle and .Net
I realize this is an open ended question.  I've written several applications that use Access databases as input.  All of my reading, writing, deleting and updating to these databases were always through Oledbconnections; then creating Sql parameter queries or just creating queries in code to manage data.  I may be getting involved with an application whose data is kept in an Oracle database.  How much different is it from obtaining data from Access databases?  Does the same theories apply:  Create a connection, open the connection, r...

.Net with Oracle
Anybody has tried to develop mobile app. with .Net against an Oracle database? Any idea to synchronize the data record between the database server and the client (pda) data. It will be great if you could share your codes / experience. Thanks a lot. Regards, Elton ...

Choosing Oracle Client Version with Microsoft Managed Oracle Provider For .net
We need to change the Oracle Client that the System.Data.OracleClient uses to connect to our database on a server that has multiple versions of the Oracle Client. A different application on the server that we do not have control over is requiring the default ORACLE_HOME directory to remain an older Oracle 9i version of the client. Because of this, our applications using the Managed Oracle Provider for .net are using the 9i client to connect. We have a planned Oracle upgrade for our Database that will require us to use the new 10g version of the client that is also installed on the server, bu...

Passing boolean values to oracle function / procedure from C#.Net
Hi,  I dont know how to pass boolean values to oracle function / procedure arguments, could you please help me to know ?  Thank you, Sreedhar After spending lot of time on google, I understand C#.Net doest support PL/SQL boolean values. Thanks Sreedhar...

How call a Oracle Function using Microsoft .Net Oracle Client (System.Data.OracleClient)?
I try to call Oracle Function in .net C# by using System.Data.OracleClient. But i am not successful. Here is my code FUNCTION TTHAO_MONTT_EXISTS ( vten varchar2) RETURN boolean IS ret boolean; montt_id integer; BEGIN ret:=false; montt_id:= -1; select monthethao_id into montt_id from TTHAO_MONTHETHAO where ten = vten; if montt_id!=-1 then ret:=true; end if; return ret; Exception when others then return false; END; I do not know, when I call function TTHAO_MONTT_E...

Problem with Oracle Stored Procedures using ODP.NET in VB.NET (VS 2003)
This is the stored procedure,Procedure RetrieveReservations(pProperty In Varchar2,pResHeaderId In Varchar2,pEmail In Varchar2,pPasswd In Varchar2,ResultSet In Out ResCursor);This is the old .asp code (part of it)objConn.ConnectionString = Application("BackEndConnection_ConnectionString")objConn.Open objComm.ActiveConnection = objConn objComm.CommandText = "internet_package.RetrieveReservations"objComm.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.CreateParameter("pProperty", adVarChar , adParamInput, 8, Request.QueryString("propid"))objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.Crea...

Oracle store procedure problem using Powerbuilder and Oracle 8.0.4.0 Net
Powerbuilder version 6.0.00 / 6.5 Build 444 Oracle Net 8.0.4.0 I found there is problem with Oracle store procedure having more than 6 in parameters. I got GPF error on Window 95 and Dr. Watson error on NT. Also, I found it works find in Oracle Net 8.0.3.0. Is this a bug? Is there any new patch for this if it is a bug. Any recommendation about What version Oracle Net or SQL Net should I used for Oracle server version 8.0.4.0 (I don't think I am using any Oracle 8 new features)? Thanks in advance, Sharon Li If you use PB 6.5, you can try the new Oracle 8 driver: ftp...

Oracle Spatial support in Devart's ADO.NET Data Provider for Oracle [Edit]
dotConnect for oracle v. 7.3 http://www.devart.com/dotconnect/oracle/ , ADO.NET Provider from Devart, includes support for Oracle Spatial in the projects, using Entity Framework. Devart Team constantly implements all the available Entity Framework innovations, and shortly after the introduction of DbGeometry and DbGeography classes in Entity Framework 5 has implemented support for Oracle Spatial in the Entity Framework provider for Oracle. Oracle MDSYS.SDO_GEOMETRY object type can now be mapped to DbGeometry and DbGeography classes. Now dotConnect for Oracle includes new versions of Devar...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net
Help me pls. i wan't code for startup and shutdown oracle database with vb.net or c#.net In Windows, it would be easier to interact with Oracle by way of the service...  (I've not tried it myself, but this should work fine for a service installed on the same machine as the .net application:using System.ServiceProcess; ServiceController controller = new ServiceController(); controller.MachineName = "."; controller.ServiceName = "OracleServiceORCL"; string status = controller.Status.ToString(); // Stop the service controller.Stop(); // Start the ...

Support for dw.NET 2.5 in VS 2008, .NET framework 3.5 and Oracle 10.2g
Hi, I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend and later using Oracle 11g as backend. Can someone please let me know if the product is supported in the environments mentioned. All help will be highly appreciated and many thanks in advance. Regards Hasan Kasamali On Nov 24, 3:06=A0am, Hasan Kasamali wrote: > Hi, > > I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET > framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend > and later using Oracle 11g as backend. > > Can ...

Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB
Can anyone assist me on Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB ? Thank you very much in advance. -- John Fotiadis Direct +30 94-464225 Senior Systems Engineer Relational Technology S.A. In article <34979B76.67A813A8@sybase.com.gr>, johnf@sybase.com.gr says... > Can anyone assist me on Connecting PB 5.0.03 to Oracle 8 (NT) through > SQL Net v2 with driver for Oracle 7.3 of PB ? > > Thank you very much in advance. > > -- > John Fotiadis > Direct +30 94-464225 > Senior Systems Engineer > > Relational Technology S.A. > > > I've replyed to your email before I saw your post here. You should be able to connect to Oracle 8 using the PowerBuilder Oracle 7.3 driver. Let me know if you need further assistance. -- Regards, Don Roof [TeamPS] Spectrum Technology Group, Inc. droof@netmcr.com ...

Where can I get native PB drivers for ( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3
( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3 with SQL *Net version 2.x , 32 bit implementation. All versions of PB Enterprise (5,6,7) have the native O73 driver. If you have PB Professional, you can only use ODBC to connect to Oracle. -- Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase) Canadian Forest Oil Ltd. Check out Sybase Developer's Network: http://www.sybase.com/sdn Veena Madhavi <bveenamadhavi@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:38A8FD91.6218D227@hotmail.com... > ( Oracle Version 8.0.0.5) with Oracle Net Client Version 7.3.3 with SQL > *Net version 2...

Segmentation fault with Oracle
I'm using Oracle 9.0.1 with DBD-Oracle-1.12, and I get segmentation faults when doing queries. Apparently, that's because I used the timestamp type. As I was new to Oracle at the time, I didn't know that was "new to Oracle 9i" and therefore a no-no for Perl. My users are annoyed at having to surround every timestamp field in a query with "to_char". Are there any plans for making DBD-Oracle work with some of these new datatypes? If not, are there any directions for adding the types to the code? I've never written a single line of C cod...

oracle connectivity with .net
I just want to make the connectivity of .net with oracle database . i just want to know the steps for it and also the connection string. also one more thing, Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql? Please help me .  ThanksAnkur PanditM.Tech(cse)persuingIndia  If you are familier with conncting MySql with asp.net - you need no to do much.  ankurpandit:Is oracle connectivity with .net working smothly as with mssql?  Yes, its very smooth. Once you will start digging oracle - you will feel the immense power of this RDBMS.  =============...

How do I shrink the log segment?
Hi, We upgraded to 12.5 (Linux) from 11.9.2 and use text columns in a couple of tables. I knew there were some problems with the DBCC rebuildtext so I didn't try to do that until I applied the first ESD. Now that we're up to ESD1, I tried to upgrade our tables to the new text format. Unfortunately one of our larger tables (2 mil rows, 5.3GB) fills up our relatively small transaction log (600MB or so). So obviously it needs to grow about 6GB :) but since our transaction log size is very comfortable I would like to shrink it after this process is finished -- I've sea...

Web resources about - Segment Shrink - asp.net.oracle

Anterior segment of eyeball - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Diagram of anterior segment of a human eye ( horizontal section of the right eye) 1. Lens , 2. Zonule of Zinn or ciliary zonule , 3. Posterior ...

Facebook Concert Discovery App Bandsintown Divides Music Fans Into Five Segments
... enthusiasts and active users of the social network between the ages of 16 and 59, and it used its findings to divide the group into five segments: ...

For US Hispanic Marketers, New Language-Based Targeting Segments
Today we’re launching new language-based targeting segments designed to help advertisers with Hispanic marketing efforts in the US deliver more ...

segments - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
8 meter long tapeworm (!!!) at the Meguro Parasitological museum, in the Meguro neighborhood of Tokyo, Japan.

VIDEO GAMES LIVE Civilization IV segment from DVD, Blu-Ray & CD - YouTube
This is the Video Games Live Civilization IV segment written by Christopher Tin. We entitled this piece Civilization IV - Baba Yetu (Duet Version). ...

Watch Megyn Kelly address Donald Trump's debate boycott during a remarkable segment of her show
... Megyn Kelly covered Donald Trump’s sudden announcement that he won’t attend the Fox-hosted presidential debate during an unusual Tuesday segment ...

The Daily Show segment about Australians and Gun Control wins an Emmy
Former politicians John Howard, Tim Fischer and Rob Borbidge aren't the first names which spring to mind when you think of TV's annual Emmy Awards. ...

Pete Evans paleo: Chef blasted online after Sunday Night segment - HeraldSun Search Search
CELEBRITY chef Pete Evans’ paleo diet crusade has been compared to Hollywood actor Tom Cruise spruiking Scientology.

Chilean Deluge Disrupts a Fraction of Country’s Mining Segment
The torrential rain that hit the region forced most of the mining companies to shut down temporarily.