PL/SQL String Functions vs VB String Functions - Your Opinion, Please

The app I have in mind will need to take user entered strings - some as long as 3 or 4 sentences - and parse the string for key words. The key words being looked for would be stored in a table. After the key words are located in the user entered string, a URL will be built to display on a web page linking a user to a ecommerce site.

I don't know too much about how Oracle stored procedures and functions can be used to manipulate strings of numbers and text. From what little I've seen, I'm guessing that I should probably rely on VB string functions and asp.net to get the job done quickly and efficiently.

What has your experience taught you?

0
John

If you are asking which area should a developer choose given their background, I'd say there are two schools of thought:

1) Do the work in the area you are most comfortable working in.  If you are stronger in VB, do the parsing there and pass it to the DB when you are done.  If Oracle is your background do it there, etc.  This is generally the most efficient.

2) If you know you can do it in one area, but are unsure about another - try the second area.  First you can increase you experience there, second, after going back and doing it in your 'comfort' area, you can test the two methods to see which is faster.  Going this route takes a lot longer, but you gain a lot more from the experience.

If you're asking which area will given you better results - it's going to vary based on who is doing the work.  I can write some pretty @#$%y VB code that will get the job done (but you probably won't want to maintain that code).  But given enough time, could probably clean it up.  I could also create a pretty slick SP, and could probably tune it - but that's more due to experience and current use.  hth.

- Corwin
(My Blog - www.ballhead.com/corwin)
0
Corwin
1/24/2008 6:10:31 PM

Corwin, thanks for your response.

I should clarify what I am hoping to find out ....

If my tasks are 1) to manipulate strings of numbers and text, and store some of the results of that manipulation in one or more Oracle db tables and 2) to use string data already stored in a table to affect the appearance of a web page or to compare with user-entered text,  which code ... the VB Script on my asp.net web page or the PL/SQL working within a stored procedure or function would be 'better' at handling the string manipulation and then the db selects, inserts and updates.

I guess I am assuming that I would take the time to write the chosen code in the best possible fashion and I'm looking for the best language to choose. Is it normally better to hand such tasks to the Oracle db engine or the asp.net/.net framework engine?

0
John
1/25/2008 12:48:19 AM

I think I understand what you are asking.  And that was how I was trying to answer.Big Smile  Both methods will work.  Depending on how well either is written can dictate whether one method is better than the other.  I was trying to make the case that both Oracle procs/functions AND application/code can do the job, and do it well, depending on how well someone knows that side.

In my opinion, I try to do as much on the db side as I can.  For two reasons,
1) I understand it better, so I can code it faster and it's more likely to be more efficient.
2) Often, having functions on the db is a good way to allow processing on a different server (assuming the app is not hosted on that server), and so, the overall processing time is reduced.

But I will still throw in this caveat.  If the developer is not well experienced in db-side development, they might create a function that works, but is so inefficient as to make the process perform poorly.  And then the DB is cast as the culprit rather than how it was implemented.

(I really don't mean to make your decision more difficult.  hope this helps)

- Corwin
(My Blog - www.ballhead.com/corwin)
0
Corwin

stack trace while creatting function strings and function string with keywords..
Hii..I are using a user defined function string. and I am facing problems on creating functions ..like select and select with lock functions for the tables which has column names same as keywords. table:create table newclient(SOURCE varchar(20),SOURCE_ID int).. SOURCE is the primarykey.. For select function.. the function string looks like .... create function string repdef_newclient.rs_select for my_fun_class scan 'select * from newclient where SOURCE = ?SOURCE!user?' output language 'select * from newclient where SOURCE= ?SOURCE!user?' go while creati...

String functions in VB.NET
Hi, I am looking for a string function (incase it exists) in VB.NET that will let me strip all but the first character from a string. for example if there is a string called "turtle", then after passing this string to the function, I should get a string that has the single letter "t". Thanks,Kulin Parikh -- The more I learn about the Internet, the more amazed I am that it works at all. The Left() function will do this. example: Dim aString as string = "This is a test string" Dim aFirstChar as string = Left(aString, 1) ' aFirstChar will cont...

Re: String functions in VB.NET
Hello, How can I write a code in VB.Net if I want to find all unique chars in a string:  Ex: "Hello" Should output H E L O Thanks in advance...   Dim i As Integer        Dim j As Integer        Dim s As String        Dim s1 As Char        s = "ads00050000000"        i = s.Length - 1        While i >= 0       &nb...

converting string functions from vb.net to C#
Hi, I have a class written in vb.net and I am trying to convert it in C#. The function in the class makes use of string functions such Mid,Left, Instr. Private Function ManageUploadDirectory(ByVal strHTML As String, ByVal strUploadDirectory As String) As String Dim P As Integer P = InStr(1, strHTML.ToLower, "src=""") While P <> 0 ManageUploadDirectory = ManageUploadDirectory & Left(strHTML, P + 4) strHTML = Mid(strHTML, P + 5) ' add uploaddirectory if we ...

Is there any function to convert string to integer in VB.net?
Is there any function to convert string to integer in VB.net? thank you very much.As Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Hi There, You can do this Dim Val as String = "50" Dim i As Integer = Convert.ToInt32(Val)DC517Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved. thank you very much dennisAs Heinlein said "specialization is for insects" explore beyond the universe. Hi There, No problem, always welcome...

is there a function in vb.net that will allow me to take a string and...
Im looking for a function that can take a string that is comma seperated (ex. mike,lisa,bart) and make an arraylist from that. like in flash action script you can say array1=the_string.split(); something that can do that, Thanks, Cedric String [] array1 = the_string.Split ( new Char [] { ',' } );Obviously this is C# but the method is the same for VB.NET Steven BeyRecursion: see Recursion // same code as above just shorter String [] array1 = the_string.Split (','); // note must use ' for char and " for strings split must take a char ...

Any function that replaces all occurences of one string in a given string with another third string?
Is there any function that replaces all occurences of one string in a given string with another third string?(Something that works similar to REPLACE() in MS-SQL Server) If not, can anything similar can be worked out somehow using T-SQL? Thanks in advance Replacing single instances can be done with the stuff function. So multiple occurrences can be done with a while loop: declare @CR char (1) select @CR = char (13) -- Carriage Return ... while (exists (select * from #rules where ch...

PLS-00221: is not a procedure or is undefined FUNCTIONS VS. STORED PROCEDURES
PLS-00221: is not a procedure or is undefined FUNCTIONS VS. STORED PROCEDURES - ADO.NET TO ORACLE FUNCTION   I have a very simple oracle function I'm trying to call from ado.net. The code works fine for a stored procedure but I get the error  PLS-00221: is not a procedure or is undefined  when I try to call the function. here's my code:  I've manually tested both the function and stored procedure and they are both working as expected.  here's my  vb.net code Protected Overrides Sub OnLoad(ByVal e As EventArgs) Dim cnn As OracleConnection Dim sConnSt...

VB String functions
Hello, I'm looking for a string function to take a url and pull out the word that is between the dots on each end, for example the url http://www.example.com would grab the word example only..the only criteria is I search between the dots because I'm not sure how many characters there will be in each url. Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks I would suggest looking into regular expressions. dim str as String = system.Text.RegularExpressions.Match(swork, "[.\w*.]") I'm not 100% that this will work, but I think it might be close to what you'll need.The views...

VB string function
What's the VB equivalent for the following T-SQL string validation clause:WHERE StrValue IN ("String1,"String2","String3")Thanks.Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" hi,you can use thisstratt.IndexOf("searchstring") //stratt is source string.hope it helps,regards,satishKind Attn: If a reply to your post helped you, kindly mark it as Answered.__________________________________________________Please save Animals Help World Society For Protection Of Animals, Protect these speechless creatures of GOD Dim myArray As String()...

dynamic mask-string for string function
Hello Group, I'm still using PB6.5. This is my question: Can I dynamically define a mask-string and give it as an argument to the PB-string-function? string(mystring,"#,##0.00") vs. string ls_mask ls_mask = "#,##0.00" string(mystring, ls_mask) My purpose is: I want to convert the content of a datawindow into text (saveas is not an option). Therefor I'm checking the coltype of the column I'm working at. Unfortunately the coltype will be 'decimal(x)' for all numeric-fields in the db. I found a way to determine the number of the dec...

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

ORACLE TRANSLATE function VS ASA ?????? function
I need the equivalent function for ASA : ORACLE : translate function ASA : ??????????? what is the equivalent function. I need to translate accent caracters. In article <4432e0ea.513.1681692777@sybase.com>, Timrek says... > I need the equivalent function for ASA : > > ORACLE : translate function > ASA : ??????????? what is the equivalent function. > I need to translate accent caracters. We might be able to help more if we knew the translate function does? -- Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible). t...

Function strings and Net-Gateway
We replicate from Sybase to IBM's DB2 by means of Net-Gateway and OmniSQL Access Module. For some replication definitions we don't want to replicate a certain type of SQL statement, say inserts. Then, we defined the corresponding function string as null: create function string my_rep_def.rs_insert for my_function_class output language '' We have seen that, for these, an empty SQL statement is sent to DB2, which reported an error due to improper sintax of a prepared statement. Does anyone have a good approach for these function strings ? We have successfully trie...

Web resources about - PL/SQL String Functions vs VB String Functions - Your Opinion, Please - asp.net.oracle

Talk:Trigonometric functions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is within the scope of WikiProject Mathematics , a collaborative effort to improve the coverage of Mathematics on Wikipedia. If ...

Four arrested after wedding brawl outside Westella Renaissance function centre
A crowd of people watched on as a violent brawl erupted between two groups outside a wedding reception venue in Sydney's west.

iPhone best tricks and functions - Business Insider
Your iPhone can do a lot more than you think.

Facebook Updates Search Function; Now Is A Great Time To Run And Check All Your Privacy Settings
Facebook search is… well, kind of a joke. It can tell you which 400 people in your area have similar names to that one person you want to connect ...

Review: HP Spectre 360 A Perfect Mix Of Style, Form, Function
HP Inc. delivers a brushed-aluminum laptop with a new 6th Generation Intel i7 processor, making it one of the best-looking, best-priced and best-performing ...

Add ‘laser beam’ to your iPhone’s long list of functions
Whether for presentations or driving your cat up the wall, laser pointers are as fun as they are useful. Given everything else an iPhone can ...

Why Global Corporations Need To Redesign Their Strategic Planning Function
Corporate strategy teams play an important role in guiding business leaders to make smarter, better and more informed decisions, especially in ...

Sponsored post: Garmin’s fenix 3 Pairs Form and Function with GPS Watch
... timepiece to polish off a professional look, or strap on a rugged stopwatch for our workouts. But when it comes to everyday use, the functional ...

Code Craft – Embedding C++: Timing Virtual Functions
... compiler just like the standard language types. A subtype inherits the characteristics of its parent type and can use, or not, the member functions ...

Madras HC asks police to allow Tipu’s birth anniversary function
... Station on a petition filed by Ismail, General Secretary of Thamizhaga Makkal Jananayaga Katchi, seeking grant of permission to hold the function. ...