Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle.

Trying to connect to an Oracle 8i database via Oledb, must use ole-db for the time being and can't use the OracleClient managed provider just yet.

I have scoured the net and ensured that the oracle home var is in the env vars, and i've given necessary permissions to IUSR_ account for the ora92 directory. There were no other suggestions i could find, please help if you've come across this and the resolution.
I have Oracle client version 8.1.7, win 2k pro, .Net 1.1 framework, I can post my inventory Contents if it'll help diagnose the problem.
please help if you can.
thanks,
robert
0
goofsr

Hi Robert,

What line of code is executing when you get the error? Are you able to connect then something blows up further on? Or cant connect?
Are you able to connect with oledb outside of .net?
How is it that you have client version 817, but have a ora92 directory? Do you have multiple homes?
The "error message cant be retrieved..." often means its still a permissions issue. I'd try giving EVERYONE FULL CONTROL as a test.
Cheers,
Greg
0
greg
8/26/2003 7:55:19 PM
Hi Greg,

The error occurs as soon as I Open() the connection. I do have multiple homes, but the home selector is pointed to the correct one, the 817 version. But yes, the 817 version is installed in the ora92 dir, strange? I've tried the permissions test, and that still didn't work. And no, I can't even create an oledb connection when i try to add and test a Data Connection from Visual Studio. I appreciate your help.

Public Function GetConnection() As System.Data.IDbConnection
Dim objConnect As System.Data.IDbConnection
Select Case p_strDatabaseType
Case "SQLServer"
objConnect = New System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection(p_strDSN)
Case "Oracle"
objConnect = New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(p_strDSN)
Case "Netezza"
objConnect = New Microsoft.Data.Odbc.OdbcConnection(p_strDSN)
Case Else
Err.Raise(InvalidDatabaseType, Me, "An invalid database type of " & p_strDatabaseType & " was encountered. Please check your database settings.")
End Select
objConnect.Open()
Return objConnect
End Function
0
goofsr
8/26/2003 8:51:28 PM
Here's what's installed in my Oracle Home (ORAHM92)

Oracle8i Client 8.1.7.0.0
Oracle Provider for OLE DB 9.2.0.2.0
Oracle Data Provider for .NET 9.2.0.2.102
0
goofsr
8/26/2003 9:00:53 PM
Uninstalled all oracle clients, and just reinstalled

Oracle Data Provider for .NET 9.2.0.2.102
and the thing worked on the first time. Damn, a full day of nonsense, i'm not bitter, course not.
I really do appreciate the help though.
;-)
0
goofsr

Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle
I have a problem with oracle while accessing from VB program and ASP/ASP.net pages. Every day first time i access the pages or program it says "Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle". after refreshing around 10 to 15 times it works properly for the day.Again in the next day same error occurrs. what could be the reason? I have multiple version of MDAC loaded in my machine, latest is MDAC 2.8. Normally it happens when i try to open the connection ie, Con.openThe quality of our thinking will determine the quality of our future I have seen ...

Oracle Error Occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle. #2
  I Have been getting the below error while running my program, The same Program was running in another system and it is not working in my computer. Could anyone tell me why this is happening? What could be the reason for this error? I am very new to .Net and C#    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException was unhandled by user codeMessage="Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle."Source="Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Oracle"ErrorCode=-2147467259StackTrace:at System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionStrin...

Getting Error Message "Can't load 'C:/Perl64/lib/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.dll" While Connecting to Oracle
--755704646-1080936359-1390695547=:84331 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I am trying to configure an Oracle connection from Perl running on a Window= s 7 desktop to an Oracle 11g database running on Linux; however the databas= e connection step is failing.=0A=0AThe following line of perl code fails:= =0A=0A=A0 =A0use DBD::Oracle;=0A=0ABelow is the full error message:=0A=0ACa= n't load 'C:/Perl64/lib/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.dll' for module DBD::Oracle:= load_file:%1 is not a valid Win32 application at C:/Perl64/lib/D...

Unspecified error Oracle error occurred...
I dont understand this problem. I have copy pasted the error below. I'm hoping someone could help me resolve this. Thank you. The error: Unspecified error Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle. Data type is not supported. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Unspecified error Oracle error occurred, but error message could not...

Error: Can't load '/cygdrive/c/Oracle/Ora81/bin/Oracle' for module DBD::Oracle...
------_=_NextPart_001_01C4BD25.2E53B509 Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="----_=_NextPart_002_01C4BD25.2E53B509" ------_=_NextPart_002_01C4BD25.2E53B509 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi guys, =20 Here is what's going on:=20 =20 1. I am running the latest release of CygWin on a Windows XP machine. I am not running ActiveState Perl. 2. I installed DBI and tested it. Looks like it's working fine. I typed: =20 perl -MDBI -e 0 =20 at the ...

Oracle Error while trying to connect to oracle tables
------=_NextPart_000_0029_01C1EE17.39628160 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have this program that will work for me as I have my environment = variables set properly in my .profile. Problem is, this needs to be run = by lots of people and I'm trying to avoid having all these people have = to change their .profiles to add the Oracle environment variables. Let's = just say, some of these people are at level -1 on an AIX box and I don't = have root access to make the changes myself. Here is the part ...

DBD::ORACLE Dynamic Loading error for Oracle.so (libclntsh.so)
------_=_NextPart_000_01C216B5.8F45E790 Content-Type: text/plain Hi, I am having a problem installing the DBD::Oracle module on the following system: 8way Intel UnixWare 7.1.1 Oracle 8.1.7-3 Perl 5.6.1 (compiled on this system) DBI 1.28 (installed via CPAN) The error I am receiving occurs in the testing of the package: install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::Oracle: dynamic linker : /bin/perl : error opening libclntsh.so.8.0 at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-svr5/DynaLoader.pm line 206. As you can ...

RE: :ORACLE Dynamic Loading error for Oracle.so (libclntsh.so)
I think I might have got a step further! I set the LD_RUN_PATH environment variable to /home/oracle/lib which is where libclntsh.so resides. Now I get a different error, look and see: PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch -Iblib/lib -I/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1/i386-svr5 -I/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.6.1 -e 'use Test::Harness qw(&runtests $verbose); $verbose=0; runtests @ARGV;' t/*.t t/base.......Failed to load Oracle extension and/or shared libraries: install_driver(Oracle) failed: Can't load 'blib/arch/auto/DBD/Oracle/Oracle.so' for module DBD::...

no oracle error messages
Morning All, My environment: w2k, oracle 7.3.4, oracle client 8.0.6, PB9.0.1 My problem: I don't seem to be getting any oracle error messages when I know there are database errors ocurring. The following is my PB database profile and application transaction attributes are set the same: SQLCA.DBMS = "O73 ORACLE 7.3" SQLCA.LogPass = <***> SQLCA.ServerName = "@tns:emily" SQLCA.LogId = "peter rabbit" SQLCA.AutoCommit = False SQLCA.DBParm = "CommitOnDisconnect='No'" Has anyone got any clues as to why this is? TIA Phi...

DBD::Oracle cant find Oracle.mk build error
Hi all, I'm trying to install DBD::Oracle on a Mandrake 8.1, but getting a build error as follows. Found header files in rdbms/demo. Unable to locate an oracle.mk, proc.mk or other suitable *.mk file in your Oracle installation. Does this mean that Oracle was installed without support for DBD, and does it involve a re-install? (Ive inherited the database so I dont know how it was installed) Tx in advance. ...

Oracle error for Oracle client 9.2 and PB 8.0.3
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ---=_forums-1-dub3f33c388 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Anyone knows why we get a ORA-06401 error when trying to connect to Oracle 9.0 (see attachment) ? We use Oracle client 9.2.0.1.0 with PB 8.0.3 Our connection profile is like this : DBMS = "O90 Oracle9i (9.0.1)" LogPass = <******> ServerName = "server" LogId = "schema" AutoCommit = False DBParm = "PBCatalogOwner='schema'" When we try to connect using PB in the ...

OCIEnvNlsCreate error with DBD::Oracle 1.21 and Oracle 10g client in Cygwin
Hi I had posted a few days ago about facing problems installing DBD::Oracle with Oracle 10g client under Cygwin. Though those were circumvented successfully, when I try to run a simple script that calls DBI->Connect, I get DBI connect(....) failed: ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME env var, NLS settings, permissions, etc. at tmp.pl line 12 Error ERROR OCIEnvNlsCreate. Check ORACLE_HOME env var, NLS settings, permissions, etc. at tmp.pl line 12. ORACLE_HOME C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_2 ORACLE_SID DEVDB TWO_TASK DEVDB NLS_LANG WE8ISO8859P15 I saw some earlier threa...

Weird TNS error with DBI::Oracle 1.21 & oracle 11G
Perl 5.8, DBI 1.607, DBI::Oracle 1.21, Oracle 11g (11.1.0) Any script I try to run results in the error: Database connection not made: ORA-12505: TNS:listener does not currently know of SID given in connect descriptor (DBD ERROR: OCIServerAttach) at ./testdbi.pl line 9. This script works correctly on our old server running 8.1.6. tnsping works, so I'm at a loss: oracle@tonic2:/opt/lampp/logs> tnsping phmweb.pharmacy.arizona.edu TNS Ping Utility for Linux: Version 11.1.0.6.0 - Production on 29- JUL-2008 11:34:53 Copyright (c) 1997, 2007, Oracle. All rights r...

PB/Oracle Error - 03127 No New Operations Allowed
I just had a system dump out with an error that I have not seen before with PowerBuilder and Oracle 7.3.4.0.0 I have no idea what point in the operation the system was in but this is not a reproducible error. Has anyone received this error using PB 7.0? I only recently upgraded to 7.0 (from 6.5) so I am wondering if this OCI error has something to do with the new Oracle native drivers? Any ideas? Any and all help is appreciated. Cheers, Darrell O'Donnell ...

Web resources about - Oracle error occurred, but error message could not be retrieved from Oracle. - asp.net.oracle

Search for Aurelie Lhorme: body retrieved at base of cliff
... missing French tourist Aurelie Lhorme has been found at the base of a cliff on South Australia's far west coast, police say. Police have retrieved ...

AirAsia cockpit voice recorder retrieved (00:50)
Indonesian officials say search teams have recovered the cockpit voice recorder from the crashed AirAsia plane.

Body retrieved in Sydney cliff fall
THE body of a tourist has been recovered from Sydney's northern beaches after the man fell from a cliff and hit rocks 90 metres below.

Body believed to be Tweddle retrieved
... Sydney man Gary Tweddle has been recovered from the NSW Blue Mountains. Police abseiled down Sublime Point at Leura on Tuesday and retrieved ...

AirAsia flight QZ8501: Blackbox from plane retrieved
The flight data recorder from the doomed AirAsia flight QZ8501 was this morning retrieved from the seabed raising hopes that the cause of of ...

Debris retrieved from the Laos plane crash : Video
RAW VISION: bags, passports and a broken propeller are among the wreckage scattered along the Mekong riverbank.

Bodies retrieved from US chopper in Nepal
A US Marine helicopter that went missing in Nepal has now been recovered.

Fire truck retrieved from Bilgola sinkhole
A fire truck is trapped in a sink hole and at least five homes were damaged after a burst water main caused chaos on Sydney's northern beaches. ...

AirAsia flight QZ8501: Black box flight data recorder retrieved in brief period of calm seas, government ...
Divers retrieve one of the two black box flight recorders of the AirAsia flight QZ8501, a government agency says.

Lyubov Orlova owner still hopes ship can be retrieved
The owner of the Lyubov Orlova is still hoping the derelict vessel can be safely recovered.