Oracle Database - .NET - Linux Connection

first of all hello and nice to see you all. this is my first post on this forum and it seems pretty useful..

okay just got a small question...

i have started to implement Compiere (http://www.compiere.org) in a factory

1. Installed Linux
2. Installed Oracle XE 10g

what i want to do is to connect on the oracle database from VS .NET 2005

i checked ConnectionStrings.com nothing worked .. anyone got a solution for this?

Did any one every connect from ASP .NET or a Windows Application on oracle running on a linux (CENTOS server)?

thanks

kimoo

0
kimoo

          Create a System DSN for your Oracle database in your windows machine by specifying the ODBC driver (from which machine you are trying to connect VS.Net 2005 to the Oracle Database) and use that System DSN  Name in your connection string.

          Hope this will help you little.

Thanks,

Sasi.k

Regards,
Sasi

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you.
0
sasi
4/23/2007 12:13:43 PM

Do you have an Oracle Client installed on your Windows machine... if you do, you will need to make sure your TNSNAMES.ORA file has an entry in it to Oracle on the Linux machine... should look like this:

MyConnection =

  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(Host = <linux host name>) (Port = 1521) )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = <oracle sid>))
  )

In your ConnectionStrings, you will need to having something like this:

<add name="ConnectionString"
connectionString="Data Source=MyConnection;User ID=user1;Password=admin1pass;Unicode=True"
providerName="System.Data.OracleClient" />
</connectionStrings>
Hope this works for you...

JoeB

use smaller fonts, save space!
0
joebednarz

Oracle 8i client connected to Oracle 9 database.
I have connected my Powerbuilder 9 application to a Oracle 9i database using Oracle 8i client. My Oracle home is set to 8. My Powerbuilder DB connection is using Oracle 8. Things seem to work. Why? In general, there will be compatibilty between client and server versions here; however, you'd have to check Oracle for their specific supported configurations. If you try to access anything new in Oracle 9 (like new datatypes, etc.), I expect you'll see problems that may be handled gracefully or not so gracefully. On 3 Dec 2004 13:03:31 -0800, Kurt Pager wrote: >I have co...

Problems connecting to Oracle 9i database with Oracle 10g Client and Win XP x64
Hardware/Software:Dell Precision 490 with Intel Xeon 64 bit processor running MS Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Service Pack 1.Visual Studio .NET 2005 Oracle 10g ClientI am trying to run my ASP.NET application from the above mentioned computer that connects to an Oracle 9i database on another machine on the network, but get the following error when using the OLEDB provider for Oracle:Oracle client and networking components were not found. These components are supplied by Oracle Corporation and are part of the Oracle Version 7.3.3 or later client software installation.Provid...

How to create a single Oracle Database connection method or function to be used on or by all classes and pages that want to connect to the database?
 How to create a single Oracle Database connection method or function  to be used on or by all classes and pages that want to connect to the database? How can I create one method or function in csharp to be used on all pages or classes when conenction to the database? Please give an example.I have database connections which I am using on each and very page or classes, but I can I put in one page then I just start  calling it?Database connection I am using:   OracleConnection dbconnection;    this.dbconnection = new System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnec...

Can't connect to Oracle database using Oracle 10g Client in Windows 2003 Enterprise
Hi, Our test environment is Windows 2003 enterprise with IIS and Oracle 10g client installed. I wrote a simple asp.net program to connect to a Oracle database and display the select result in a datagrid. But can't connect to Oracle. It seems .NET can't find the oracle client. Any idea is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joey...

Connect to Oracle using Oracle Names
--27197788-12003-985187237=:188 Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-Language: en-GBR Hi, I'm trying to connect to an Oracle database using Oracle Names but cannot get it to work. If I add the database to tnsnames.ora it works fine. Is Oracle Names not supported and if not will it ever be supported? Ben Schol (ben_schol@hotmail.com) --27197788-12003-985187237=:188 Content-Type: TEXT/x-cdsi-msrtf; CHARSET=US-ASCII Content-ID: 0 Content-Language: en-GBR {\rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl {\f0\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier New;}} \uc1\pard\lang1033\ulnone\f0\fs20 Hi...

Unable to connect the oracle database using connection cache
Hi I created a connection cache for oracle database with the following parameters in jag manager In Database connection properties tab: ------------------------------------------- Server Name = jdbc:odbc:xyz ( where xyz is the dsn name created in windows ODBC setup) User Name = bgb password = bgb In Driver properties tab: --------------------------- DLL or class name = sun.jdbc.odbc.JdbcOdbcDriver JDBC option is checked In Cache properties tab: --------------------------- Enable cache-by-name access is checked I am able to ping the connection cache successfully in con...

connect to oracle database
Hi, I made an asp.net 2 website.I will need to make a connection between this website and an oracle database on the customer side. I didn't connect to an oracle database before or make any code for it.I used to connect to SQL server databases.So what should I do to learn this quickly? Connecting to Oracle or Access from ASP.NET 2.0Accessing Oracle Database from Microsoft.NET 2.0 using Oracle Data Provider for .NET Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you   HosamKamel: Connecting to Oracle or Access from ASP.NET 2.0 Accessing Oracle Data...

connecting to oracle database
I have PB 6.0 which I would like to connect to the Oracle 7.1 , ODBC which I am planning to use is Oracle73 Ver 2.5 Now the information which I need is whether SQL*Net can be bought as a seperate product or you have to buy a oracle client as a whole product. I have my oracle database installed on the SCO Unix and I haven't recd. any SQL*Net utility for my cleint side which will be on the windows95 OS. Can anybody provide information on this ASAP thanks in advance. Arvind mapindia@hotmail.com sqlnet comes with Oracle. It can be freely installed, but you need to have...

Connecting to An Oracle Database
------=_NextPart_000_0002_01C0AAF9.03B7F520 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I have no problem connecting to an Oracle 8.1.5 database on Netware 5.1 and viewing the contents of the database, however, add or editing are causing me problems. Here is my test code: #!c:\perl\bin\perl.exe use CGI; use DBI qw(:sql_types); $query = CGI::new(); if (($query->request_method() eq "POST") && ($query->param("CourseID") ne '') && ($query->param("Title") ne '&#...

how to connect to a oracle database
can any one give me code for connecting to a oracle database from my asp .net website coded in VBRegardsHumayun Khan Hi humayunkhan,Please check the below URL, this may be helpful... http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/windows/odpnet/howto/connect/index.htmlRegards,Tahir....

How to connection to Oracle database
Hi, I have oracle server name, and userid and password, how can i conectionto the database server? i saw " con.ConnectionString = "User Id=**secret**;Password=**secret**;Data Source=oracle", dont know what should i put in the data source ?" thanks check out www.connectionstrings.com for sample connection string.***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. Enjoy it.***********************  Snowingnow wrote:Hi, I have oracle server name, and userid and password, how can i conectionto the database server? i saw " con.Connectio...

how to connect to Oracle database.
I have web matrix v0.6. I need to connect to an oracle database. The guided tour explains how to connect to the sql server. Could anyone explain how to connect to Oracle from the data window??. Thanks. vssp string oraConnectionString = "Data Source=*instance from tnsnames.ora file*;uid=*user*;password=*pwd*;"; OracleConnect oraConnection = new OracleConnection(oraConnectionString); oraConnection.Open(); OracleCommand oraCommand = new OracleCommand(sql statement, oraConnection); // execute your command and do what you need to (DataSet, Reader, etc) Chr...

Oracle Database connection
Are there updated dll's for connecting to oracle 8.1.7 through Powerbuilder? ...

Oracle database connectivity
Hi all, I am just starting to use pocket PB ver 1.0. I am trying to create a simple app with Oracle db. When I deploy the app onto my pda and try to retrieve data I get the following error: Cannot connect! SQLSTATE = IM003 [sybase][ODBC driver loader] Unable to load driver dbodbc8.dll Any ideas? Also could you point me to some links that have information and sample codes that can help me get started? Thanks in advance, Hooman In order to reach an Oracle database, you're either going to have to use Mobillink to replicate it to a local ASA database, or talk to a ne...

How to Connect to an Oracle database?
I am using SQLAny 7.0. I would like to connect to an Oracle 8i database and copy some data from Sybase to the Oracle database. I would prefer to use Sybase Central to connect and ISQLw to copy the data from one table to another. How can I link up to that Oracle Server from Sybase Central? Try using proxy tables in SQL Any that point to tables in Oracle... ASA Adaptive Server Anywhere User's Guide PART 5. Database Administration and Advanced Use CHAPTER 29. Accessing Remote Data Working with proxy tables Scott Kruer Senior Consultant Cer...

Web resources about - Oracle Database - .NET - Linux Connection - asp.net.oracle

Police tear open roof to arrest man in connection with stabbing murder
Police have torn open the roof of a Gold Coast home to arrest a man in connection with the stabbing death of 16-year-old Michael Brack.

Paris attacks: Belgium connection probed as terrorist past of Brussels district of Molenbeek under spotlight ...
Prosecutors reveal a growing Belgian connection to the deadly Paris attacks, focusing on a poor Brussels district.

Don’t Let Great Content Fall on Deaf Ears: Know your Connection Strategy
... via employee newsletter when it should have come through small-group manager meetings All of these and more are the result of a faulty connection ...

Brussels Connection Under Spotlight After Paris Killings
(EurActiv) — Prosecutors on Sunday disclosed a growing Belgian connection to the Paris attacks as Premier Charles Michel conceded that a Brussels ...