Oracle and .Net

I realize this is an open ended question.  I've written several applications that use Access databases as input.  All of my reading, writing, deleting and updating to these databases were always through Oledbconnections; then creating Sql parameter queries or just creating queries in code to manage data.  I may be getting involved with an application whose data is kept in an Oracle database.  How much different is it from obtaining data from Access databases?  Does the same theories apply:  Create a connection, open the connection, run a query and databind a datagrid (for instance)?     Can you show a basic example of reading a table?

StrangerMike

As long as you are using OleDb connection, changing the database should not matter. Keep in mind that there are minor differences between access and oracle in terms of the sql syntax, but these differences can be ignored for general queries.

Sambeet
0
sambeetpatra
12/15/2008 9:08:25 PM

THE BELOW LINK IS VERY GOOD FOR STARTER. IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM LET US KNOW.

http://www.aspfree.com/c/a/.NET/Using-Microsoft-dot-NET-and-C-sharp-with-Oracle-9i/

Shawpnendu Bikash Maloroy
http://shawpnendu.blogspot.com
0
shawpnendu
12/16/2008 5:30:06 AM

If u just want to do as u do for SQLServer and others

use the Oracle Data Provider for .Net. Its free to download and very easily u can coonect to all versions of oracle

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tech/windows/odpnet/index.html

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan

   The concept what you explained to access the MS Access database is completely holds good for Oracle, in that case applies for any database.

The only difference will be you have to use different driver called OracleClient instead of OLEDB (Off course you can use OLEDB but OracleClient is faster than OLEDB).

and also please note that you need either Oracle Client or Oracle Instant Client to connect to the Oracle from your .Net application.

Please let us know if you are looking for any additional info.

-Sri
ksridharbabuus
12/16/2008 8:09:56 AM

That is good news.  Thanks

StrangerMike
12/16/2008 2:46:09 PM

Thanks to all of you for the information.

Is the Oracle Client already packaged with vb.net?  Is it available through an Import System Name space?

And is it available in Visual Studio 2003 as well as 2005?

StrangerMike
12/16/2008 2:52:44 PM

Hi

Install Oracle Data Provider for .Net and it will integrate will ur VS 2005/08

And it supports all oracle version from oldest to newest which others donot support

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan

Not 2003?     Is the install a thrid party software?

StrangerMike
12/16/2008 3:43:49 PM

Hi

Its provide by Oracle freely. I think it works for 2003 also. U can read more on the link provided earlier

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan
12/16/2008 3:50:47 PM

Thanks mudassarkhan,

Just one more question for now.    The sample they show on the site they are building a windows application in .Net, does the same apply to  a Asp.net web app?

StrangerMike

It works for ASP.Net too. You will get PDF tuts on the same site how to use that. And I myself has used it. Since in database it does not matter whether ur fronend is Web App or Windows app Basically what u want to do is connect to the DB.

MVP ASP/ASP.Net
MVP ASP/ASP.Net
mudassarkhan

.NET Oracle Provider
Hi all,I am using .NET 2.0 Frameworks Oracle provider and it does not have a OracleDbTypes Type for me to use. I would like to create a parameter that is of the Oracle type NVARCHAR, but it seems I can only use DbTypes, which does not have this. If I used DbTypes.String, would this be ok, otherwise, how else can I be more specific about the Oracle Parameter data type?Thanks  can u explain which type of data u r going to storeThank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. What's your version of ODP? You have OracleD...

Oracle ODP.net mulitple Oracle Client
To connect to the oracle database using ODP.net, the applicate must add the dll file called Oracle.DataAccess. There are a lot of version of Oracle.DataAccess. As I know, if the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2. If the client use Oracle Client 10g Release 2, the application also have to use the Oracle.DataAccess the come from Oracle Client 10g Release 2.  My question is that there are any method to add more than one Oracle.DataAccess version in my product to support multiple OracleClient.   That should automatically happen for the most part.  Oracle's ODP.NET i...

Which .Net Provider for Oracle 9i Microsoft or Oracle
Can anyone provide me pros and cons of provider to access Oracle Database ? I am aware of Microsoft Provider and Oracle Provider. Microsoft http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dndotnet/html/manprooracperf.asp Oracle http://otn.oracle.com/software/tech/windows/odpnet/utilsoft.html I guess you can use either. But as some post suggests, if both installed, then MS ODP will not work. I've been using DataDirect Technologies Connect for .Net and Oracle. It's not free, so it depends on your budget. The speed improvements were great for us, and it's ni...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

vb.net function and Oracle procedure to get an Oracle Dataset??
I have similar code (a procedure and function) working perfectly with a sql server data source. I;'m trying to do the same things with Oracle, but have run into the problems.    I'm not an oracle expert, so I'm not sure if producing a cursor is my only and best  option. create or replace package body PK_RETAILER isPROCEDURE sp_Get_Order_History(v_ani IN number,output_cursor out PK_CURSORES.generic_cursor) ASBEGINopen output_cursor forselect o.account_number, p.phone, o.amount, o.name, o.init_datefrom orders ojoin users_phones p on p.account_number...

.Net with Oracle
Anybody has tried to develop mobile app. with .Net against an Oracle database? Any idea to synchronize the data record between the database server and the client (pda) data. It will be great if you could share your codes / experience. Thanks a lot. Regards, Elton ...

Choosing Oracle Client Version with Microsoft Managed Oracle Provider For .net
We need to change the Oracle Client that the System.Data.OracleClient uses to connect to our database on a server that has multiple versions of the Oracle Client. A different application on the server that we do not have control over is requiring the default ORACLE_HOME directory to remain an older Oracle 9i version of the client. Because of this, our applications using the Managed Oracle Provider for .net are using the 9i client to connect. We have a planned Oracle upgrade for our Database that will require us to use the new 10g version of the client that is also installed on the server, bu...

Passing boolean values to oracle function / procedure from C#.Net
Hi,  I dont know how to pass boolean values to oracle function / procedure arguments, could you please help me to know ?  Thank you, Sreedhar After spending lot of time on google, I understand C#.Net doest support PL/SQL boolean values. Thanks Sreedhar...

How call a Oracle Function using Microsoft .Net Oracle Client (System.Data.OracleClient)?
I try to call Oracle Function in .net C# by using System.Data.OracleClient. But i am not successful. Here is my code FUNCTION TTHAO_MONTT_EXISTS ( vten varchar2) RETURN boolean IS ret boolean; montt_id integer; BEGIN ret:=false; montt_id:= -1; select monthethao_id into montt_id from TTHAO_MONTHETHAO where ten = vten; if montt_id!=-1 then ret:=true; end if; return ret; Exception when others then return false; END; I do not know, when I call function TTHAO_MONTT_E...

Problem with Oracle Stored Procedures using ODP.NET in VB.NET (VS 2003)
This is the stored procedure,Procedure RetrieveReservations(pProperty In Varchar2,pResHeaderId In Varchar2,pEmail In Varchar2,pPasswd In Varchar2,ResultSet In Out ResCursor);This is the old .asp code (part of it)objConn.ConnectionString = Application("BackEndConnection_ConnectionString")objConn.Open objComm.ActiveConnection = objConn objComm.CommandText = "internet_package.RetrieveReservations"objComm.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.CreateParameter("pProperty", adVarChar , adParamInput, 8, Request.QueryString("propid"))objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.Crea...

Oracle store procedure problem using Powerbuilder and Oracle 8.0.4.0 Net
Powerbuilder version 6.0.00 / 6.5 Build 444 Oracle Net 8.0.4.0 I found there is problem with Oracle store procedure having more than 6 in parameters. I got GPF error on Window 95 and Dr. Watson error on NT. Also, I found it works find in Oracle Net 8.0.3.0. Is this a bug? Is there any new patch for this if it is a bug. Any recommendation about What version Oracle Net or SQL Net should I used for Oracle server version 8.0.4.0 (I don't think I am using any Oracle 8 new features)? Thanks in advance, Sharon Li If you use PB 6.5, you can try the new Oracle 8 driver: ftp...

Web resources about - Oracle and .Net - asp.net.oracle

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

Oracle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the classical medium. For the software company, see Oracle Corporation . For other uses, see Oracle (disambiguation) . ...

News Oracle
The News Oracle is an online news outlet. The Oracle covers the most relevant stories from around the globe.

Kenshoo, Oracle Social Cloud Announce Integration
... and provider of cloud-based digital marketing solutions and predictive media optimization technology, announced an integration with Oracle Social ...

Contract Analyst Programmer (SQL/Oracle/.Net) 160129/AP/vhs-b

Oracle deprecates the Java browser plugin, prepares for its demise
The much-maligned Java browser plugin, source of so many security flaws over the years, is to be killed off by Oracle. It will not be mourned. ...

Oracle Survives Bloodbath, But Morgan Stanley Still Skeptical on Cloud Payoff
Conspicuously less bad today are shares of Oracle ( ORCL ), which is down 85 cents, just 2%, at $35.60, amidst the complete meltdown of its cloud ...

Oracle issues an emergency patch to Java for Windows
Security problems are not new to Java, though it is, admittedly, not the only platform that suffers from these problems. Now Oracle has acknowledged ...

Salesforce has promoted Oracle's former top sales exec to be its new COO
... Marc Benioff, who is a huge angel investor). Meanwhile, Block has done extremely well at Salesforce since he left his old alma mater, Oracle, ...

Oracle raises questions on open-source license for Android with OpenJDK
Oracle has raised questions whether a version of Google's Android operating system running OpenJDK code will get an open-source license. Google ...