OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle

I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection.  Does it matter which one I use?  What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?

Would appreciate any input.
0
cjo30080

ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster.
0
venktesh
12/19/2003 5:49:53 AM
If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using the Microsoft Oracle Provider. There are some pains with it, but it works fine for my application (other devs have mentioned a problem with the drivers and Oracle 9i, but I have not experienced any -- I believe it is their coding knowledge of ADO.NET).

You also have the option of downloading the ODP from http://technet.oracle.com (also maps to otn.oracle.com). These drivers are built by Oracle and should not have any compatibility problems with Oracle.
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA
Author: ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the Edge

***************************
Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
***************************
0
Cowboy
12/22/2003 4:15:23 PM
One possible reason for using ODBC would be if you were trying to talk to an outdated/unsupported Oracle 7.x database.  I had this problem while trying to develop (last year) an app that would talk to 7.3 and 8i- neither the Oracle OLEDB provider or the Microsoft Provider for Oracle would talk correctly to 7.3- only Microsoft ODBC worked.

However, if your server has the 9i client installed, you won't be able to talk to Oracle 7.x anyway! (9i absolutely positively will NOT talk to 7.x by design.) You can have the 8i client installed, which will allow downward communcation with Oracle 7.x, and upward communcation with 9i, if your environment demands such.
Even further; if you have to interconnect with 9i and 7.x, you can set up a temporary "bridge" server. Load it with 8i (if you can still find it on the shelves), and create a database link in it to the 7.x database. Then your 9i "real" server talks to the 8i "bridge" server, and the 8i bridge server can talk to the 7.3 database. Obviously this is a headache all around, for speed, resources, stability, common sense, etc. :) But you really shouldn't be using 7.x or 8i anymore, they're both unsupported by Oracle- and that means further that you really shouldn't be using ODBC!
And I agree with venktesh & Cowboy- use the newest technology you can. It's the only way you and your application will get the most benefit.

-Thomas
0
Thomas1

vb.net vs c#.net vs j#.net

What are the diffrences between OLEDB.Net and ODBC.NET
 What are the diffrences between OLEDB.Net and ODBC.NET adilahmed  FYI, i am providing some links, which describes about the differences between OLEDB.Net and ODBC.Nethttp://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel/HA010346361033.aspxhttp://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7823http://www.dotnetmonster.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/dotnet-ado-net/3456/ODBC-net-Vs-OleDB-net-which-is-Better Thanks and RegardsNimesh PrabhakarMark this post as "ANSWER", if it helped you.. ODBC is Open Data Base Connectivity, which is a connection method to data sources and other things. It requires that...

Problem with Oracle Stored Procedures using ODP.NET in VB.NET (VS 2003)
This is the stored procedure,Procedure RetrieveReservations(pProperty In Varchar2,pResHeaderId In Varchar2,pEmail In Varchar2,pPasswd In Varchar2,ResultSet In Out ResCursor);This is the old .asp code (part of it)objConn.ConnectionString = Application("BackEndConnection_ConnectionString")objConn.Open objComm.ActiveConnection = objConn objComm.CommandText = "internet_package.RetrieveReservations"objComm.CommandType = adCmdStoredProc objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.CreateParameter("pProperty", adVarChar , adParamInput, 8, Request.QueryString("propid"))objComm.Parameters.Append objComm.Crea...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

Support for dw.NET 2.5 in VS 2008, .NET framework 3.5 and Oracle 10.2g
Hi, I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend and later using Oracle 11g as backend. Can someone please let me know if the product is supported in the environments mentioned. All help will be highly appreciated and many thanks in advance. Regards Hasan Kasamali On Nov 24, 3:06=A0am, Hasan Kasamali wrote: > Hi, > > I intend to use the datawindow.NET 2.5 in VS 2008 (.NET > framework 3.5) using a Oracle 10.2g database as a backend > and later using Oracle 11g as backend. > > Can ...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Oracle connection in VS.net giving error
Hi, I am trying to add a database connection from within VS.net for an Oracle OLEDB database. The host string is "DEV1" username is "scott/tiger" then i get a TNS error . If i try to connect to the same database with toad it works.. Any ideas why this is failing.. I do not have SQL server and so will have to use Oracle for all experiments. I wanted to actually create a TDS after i connect to this database.Any help is appreciated.  Thanks and RegardsNirumaThe difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!  Hi, Cracked this. Actually instead of selecting "Microsof...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

VS.NET Projects on the Net
If I'm done with a project/solution that I created with IIS(Localhost) and VS.NET, what files from the solution will I need to upload to the host? (Host in this case is Brinkster(Free Plan)) only the aspx and ascx files ... in the bin folder you will need the compiled dll files ... Also in the root you need: web.config and flobal.asax That's itVerhoeven Bart MCSD.NET Technical Project Leader There is only 2 files in the .bin folder. ..dll file and .pdb All the ACSX and ASPX files are in the project's folder. When ever I try building the project, I get nothing in the B...

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

Vs.Net 2002 and Vs.Net 2003
Hello: I've one question that keeps messing with my head, I want to know if you have: 1. VS.Net 2002 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? 2. VS.Net 2003 with Framework 1.0 and 1.1 in the same PC, which Framework it compiles apps for? Is it possible to have an app compiled for framework 1.0 that uses DLLs or assemblies compiled for framework 1.1???? and still work ok?? thanks a lot....

Web resources about - OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle - asp.net.oracle

The Direct Connection

Cross-cultural Connections and Exchange: international study is more important than ever
... And, as a minority of ill-intentioned individuals and groups do their best to create divides, we need citizens equipped to create connections ...

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...