Couldn't connect to Oracle Database..

hi,

 i'm creating, database driven websites. I'm using, MS .NET 2003 Professional to create web pages and I use, Oracle 9i as my backend. I connect to the backend using data adapter. Connection is getting succeded. But when I add some data to the tables in my database, I'm getting the following error.

System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Exception Details: System.Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.

Source Error:

Line 96:         drw.Item(5) = brand_cbo.SelectedItem.Text
Line 97:         DataSet11.Tables(6).Rows.Add(drw)
Line 98:         OracleDataAdapter1.Update(DataSet11)
Line 99:         DataSet11.AcceptChanges()
Line 100:        'bindgrid()

Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\betaboy\exp\explosive_transaction_brand.aspx.vb    Line: 98

Stack Trace:

[Exception: System.Data.OracleClient requires Oracle client software version 8.1.7 or greater.]
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataRow[] dataRows, DataTableMapping tableMapping)
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable)
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Update(DataSet dataSet)
   exp.explosive_transaction_brand.add_cmd_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\betaboy\exp\explosive_transaction_brand.aspx.vb:98
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

please help me to sort out this problem..

karthik.

0
karthik_ceg

Your Oracle client software is outdated. Download ODP.net from Oracle site and install.
0
rushdib
2/14/2006 7:49:08 PM
i already downloaded the ODT and installed it. despite that i'm getting the error. could you give me the link please...
0
karthik_ceg
2/15/2006 7:01:08 AM
Check the security permissions of the BIN directory in your Oracle Home.
Make sure the Authenicated Users group or the ASPNET account have Read & Execute permissions on the BIN directory and all sub-direcotories.

--dweezil

SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue = 'yes';

Records found: 0
0
dweezil
2/15/2006 9:05:10 AM
Also make sure you have one Oracle home which should be the latest.
0
rushdib
2/15/2006 2:46:25 PM

i gave the permission for the in Oracle home. yet i'm getting the same error. Also i dont know how to check if, my Oracle home is latest.. I am a mewbie to programming. so please bare with me and help me...

karthik

0
karthik_ceg
2/17/2006 8:23:30 AM

Karthik,

If you don't have a Oracle database on your pc, then do this:

In your all programs list, you will find Oracle home and there will be a Universal Installer.

Run the installer and then click on deinstall products button. It will ask you which home to delete. You know which is the old home. Unistall it. If you don't know, then uninstall both and reinstall the odp.net client tools again.

Make sure tnsnames.ora file has the proper connection info. Try connection to your db from sql plus before you try in vs.net.

After installing, check your path variable (right-click on my computer, environment variables, system variables) and make sure the it's pointing to the correct home directory.

In my pc, I have it like this.

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\bin

If you have 2 Oracle homes, then the latest one should be first in the list

Reboot the pc and try again.

0
rushdib
2/17/2006 2:43:57 PM

thanks rushdib. i'll try that. but, before that, could you tell me that, if i uninstall ORA home, will my tables  gone?? also i've installed Oracle developer tool for .net and not ODP.net. are they both same or different?? if different, where can i get that ODP..

Karthik

0
karthik_ceg
2/18/2006 6:53:33 AM

Yes, if you have an Oracle db on your pc. Is this your test environment?

Oracle Dev. tool .net has the client as well. So you don't need ODP. ODP is simply a client for Oracle. ODT.net has the Oracle Explorer + Oracle client.

0
rushdib
2/18/2006 4:39:15 PM

thanks for your reply rushdib,

yes, mine is a test enivronment. and i dont have tables in my system. they are in my server. i'll do as you said tomorrow. and one more thing, when i downloaded ODT.Net, it said to install it in my temp folder. I installed in c:\winnt\Temp. is tat the right folder??

karthik

0
karthik_ceg