populating a column in one table with data in a column from another table?

Hi,

I have one main table and multiple smaller tables, the main table consists of all the information gathered from the smaller tables, plus some other data. I've set primary keys for all the smaller tables and created a relationship where the primary key id matches an id field inside the main table eg. there's a smalltableid column in both the smaller table and the main table.

some misc info:
i'm using a dataset (should the key in the dataset be pointing to the main table, or the smaller one?)
both relation and foreign key constraints are created (with no rules set)

my problem is, the data from the smaller tables isn't being placed into the main table, what am i missing and how can i get it to work?

thanks in advance!

0
FrankBollard

anyone?
0
FrankBollard

Problem in retrieving data from two table when one column entry in each table are same but no column in these table match with each other
Hello there!,       First of all i have two tables . one acts as a master table and other one acts as a details table. Currently the ptoblem with my procedure is, i have entered two entries for one project in the Master table. and to briefly discribe those two entries in the master table , i have entered two entries in the Details table corresponding to the entries in the master table. Now i need to combine the master table entries and the details table entries for the same project which should give only two entreies. but my procedure gives four entries. Could yo...

insert multiple values from one table into one column from another table?
Hi, I'm attempting to create an insert statement that gets the values from multiple columns and insert them into one column from another table, is there a simple solution to do this?Here is something similar to what i'm wanting done, just it's not the correct way to do it, i want value1, value2 and value3 from one table to be combined and put into the value1 column of another table, what am i doing wrong? INSERT INTO tablename2 (value1 + value2 + value3)SELECT value1FROM tablename1 thanks in advance! INSERT INTO tablename2 (SELECT val1 + val2 + val3 FROM tabl...

copy column from one table to another table
Hi, I have 2 tables. Table1 has column1 and column2. I wish to copy column1 into Table2 by using sql statement. How do i do that? Thank you. In general you'd do it like this: Insert statement: INSERT INTO Table2 ( Column1 ) SELECT Column1 FROM Table1 Update statement: UPDATE Table2 SET Column1 = T1.Column1 FROM Table2 T2 INNER JOIN Table1 T1 ON T2.someID = T1.someID TerriTerri MortonEngagement Manager, NeudesicHow to ask a question...

how to display data (rows from table / columns from another table)
Hi guys, I am trying to find a suitable way of displaying my data from an Access Database (in asp.net VB) I have 4 Tables in my Database - the first one is my "central" table that should be used to display the data - the other three are only here to feed the "central" table with names - here are Access screenshots of these four tables:   ... and this is what it should result in in the end: Thanks for any help in advance, Robert Since you are using Access you can easily achieve this layout using Crosstab query based on inner join queryBug [MCSD] Thanks for the tip! The cros...

creating a table column that only takes data from another table.
I am trying to create a table that holds info about a user; with the usual columns for firstName, lastName, etc....  no problem creating the table or it's columns, but how can I "restrict" the values of my State column in the 'users' table so that it only accepts values from the 'states' table?ScottSEADont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you!This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers. You could create a trigger on the table or a rule?***********************Dinakar NethiLife is short. En...

No table index exists or at least one table index column is not included in data source. Data can be displayed but not updated.
No table index exists or at least one table index column is not included in data source. Data can be displayed but not updated. I get this error when trying to build a form, i'm connected to a remote database, the DBA states I have permissions on the tables i'm working with. There is no index on these table, all columns in table are being included in form i get this error. Been unable to find any info on this error in user documentation. Thanks in advance. Melissa Johnson Forms require that there is a unique index / primary key on a table. If neither of those exis...

to Calculated Columns, then to update another column in same table in ADO.NET
to get several Columns, then pass those Columns into  one function which will return  a result,then using the result to update another column in same table in ADO.NET, How can I do this? thanks. Hi   what ever information you given is not clear. so please give me  detail info.Ganesan  Clarity is required. Plz explain clearly wts u r requirement.Thank uBaba Thank uBabaPlease remember to click "Mark as Answer" on this post if it helped you. ...

Summing a Column in one Table and writing that vaule to another Table
Hello Everyone,   I have a column I want to sum and then write that value to the other table.  Here are the columns:   1st Table: pcsoems_master.docket_num & pcsoems_master.amt_paid 2nd Table: psoems_trans.tdocket & pcsoems_trans.amt_pd I am summing the pcsoems_trans.amt_pd and wanting to write the value to pcsoems_master.amt_pd column.  THey are linked by pcsoems_master.docket_num to pcsoems_trans.tdocket.  Any suggestions would be great.  I do want the column to keep adding when I add a amount to the paid part from pcsoems_trans.amt_pd.  I h...

Exporting in Excel without cells or excel columns merging for one column of data table(need sorting, data filters perfectly)
 Hi,   I have an issue with the excel exporting of the report using ssrs.  I am using only the body section for exporting to excel.  Here in the body i have an Image, Textbox(for Title), textbox2(for dates from,to) and below it i have a table having the columns used for showing the data.  The report gets generated but when i exported to excel, All the columns and rows in the excels sheets come close and its like there is no uniformity.  Few columsn of excel are covered under a single columsn of the data table.  So its making users feel uncomfortab...

Data copy from one column to another in same table
Hi Everyone, I have a table defined as the following... CREATE TABLE dbo.TLETTERS_RTF_BASE ( LETTERS_RTF_NBR int NOT NULL, LETTER_TYPE_NBR int NOT NULL, LETTER_NAME varchar(100) NULL, UNIT_CD char(2) NULL, HEADER_TEXT image NULL, BODY_TEXT image NULL, FOOTER_TEXT image NULL, LETTER_DW_NAME varchar(75) NULL, FOREIGN KEY (LETTER_TYPE_NBR) REFERENCES dbo.TLETTER_TYPE (LETTER_TYPE_NBR) ) Certain rows have null values in the BODY_TEXT column. I want to take another valu...

Copying Columns from one Data Table into another
Does anyone have any code examples or can point me in the direction of a good tutorial or ten on this subject.  I have an existing database that I want to import data from at certain times.  I have both tables in my data set and they are in two different database files.  What are the best practices?  Also any advice on any ado.net 2.0 books, can't seem to find any reviews on any of them.   Cheers, BCRemember to mark any post that is helpful as an answer and change posts status to Resolved to help others in the future. cheers,BChttp://voidimpossible.com Hi BC, ...

ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN LastUpdated failed because one or more objects access this column.
Hi I’m trying to alter a table and delete a column I get the following error. The object 'DF__Morningst__LastU__19EB91BA' is dependent on column 'LastUpdated'. ALTER TABLE DROP COLUMN LastUpdated failed because one or more objects access this column. I tried deleting the concerned constraint. But the next time I get the same error with a different constraint name. I want to find out if I can dynamically check the constraint name and delete it and then drop the column. Can anyone help.IF EXISTS(SELECT 1FROM sysobjects,syscolumnsWHERE sysobjects....

Create new table
Hi,I am creating a new table called 'tableA'TableA has 2 columns - columna and columnb..I would like the values of tableA's columna to be the same as tableBs' (a current table) columna...Does that make sense?Can I use a computed column? Will it still work if table b's columna has new data added all the time (will tablea keep up to date?) Thanks,Jon  In the sense you want to and fro values to be same from both the tables.I think its a one way possibility but not the two way here is the query take the wizard and follow the steps in the sense 1)in ur BLL def...

Populating drop down list with data from more than one column in an SQL database table
It goes like this. I have a "technician" table in my database. It has Fname, MI, Lname, and trade fields. I woul like to populate a drop down list called assigned tech with Lname comma Fname in the list. I can get any one column in the list but I would like to have "lastname, firstname" format in my drop down list. Can I do it with the fields in the database table, or do I need to make another field in the table called something like "fullname" with the info I want to show up in my drop down list? I am using C#. Thanks Jeremy This should help: ...