Multiple "AND" and "OR" Statements in an SQL Query

Hello,

 I've got a table called "plants" which, up-until-recently, was being searched by category using the following SQL (and using the CategoryID field):

SELECT plants.Latin_Name, Size.ekm_ID, plants.Common_Name, plants.Short_Description, plants.Thumb_URL, plants.CategoryID, plants.ProductID, Size.Size, Size.Price, Size.MostPopular FROM plants INNER JOIN Size ON plants.CategoryID = Size.CategoryID AND plants.ProductID = Size.ProductID WHERE (plants.CategoryID = @CategoryID) AND (Size.MostPopular = 'True') AND (Size.Availability = 'True') ORDER BY plants.Latin_Name

 I now want to offer users two ways of searching for the plant they want - I need to add another set of categories which plants can be searched by. This is what I mean...

 Category Set One (Traditional Categories) - Aquatics, Acers, Climbers, Conifers, Exotics, Fruit, Grasses/Bamboo, Heathers, Hedging, Herbs, Perennials, Rhododendrons, Roses, Shrubs, Topiary

 Category Set Two (More Recent Way of Grouping Plants) - Roses that grow on you, hedge your bets, sun & shady characters, social climbers, shady characters, sun shine boys, the fruitful good life, herbs 'what you got cooking, sensory sensations, silent whispoers, architectural plants, wildlife lovers, rockery rockers, trees for rockery & patio, trees for gardens, trees for smallholdings & farms, perennial penchant, groundcover groundhogs

Every plant we sell appears in 1 category from category set one and one or two categories from category set 2.

The relevant fields in the plant table are: CategoryID (traditional categories), NewCategoryID1 (1st category from category set 2), NewCategoryID2 (2nd category from category set 2 if applicable)

I have a "categorysearch.aspx" page currently set up to deal with category set 1 and I'd like to use this same page to display the results of a category set 2 search - i.e. I'd like the SQL to search for

 WHERE CategoryID = @CategoryID OR NewCategoryID = @NewCategoryID OR NewCategoryID2 = @NewCategoryID2

where @CategoryID, @NewCategoryID, @NewCategoryID2 are appended as a querystring

I also need to keep the other parts of my SQL query after the "WHERE" - i.e. AND (Size.MostPopular = 'True') AND (Size.Availability = 'True') ORDER BY plants.Latin_Name

I think this might just be a case of putting brackets in the right places to make it work, however, I'm having a lot of trouble with it so any help you could offer me would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Luke

0
luke_jack61188

Try:

WHERE (CategoryID = @CategoryID OR NewCategoryID = @NewCategoryID OR NewCategoryID2 = @NewCategoryID2) AND (Size.MostPopular = 'True') AND (Size.Availability = 'True') ORDER BY plants.Latin_Name

0
James_2JS

Nice with the blossoming! If I were you, I'd stop doing it that way and instead writing it in code-behind - it's much simpler!

You can see how this is done, under the ******* below. Above it, I put some example code for getting the "snippets" in the right place. Note that there is a very fast full-text search method there too (using len instead of LIKE) - it seems like you have a lot of code, so it might come in handy.

Let me know if I'm not clear enough, but as I said, this is just example code.

Pettrer

If

ordet.Length > 1 Then '"ordet" simply means "the word" in Swedish, and in my code (not presented here) I loop it to parse several words, quotes etc

If ordet.StartsWith("-") Then

icke =

" NOT " 'becomes AND NOT (...)

ordet = ordet.Remove(0, 1)

'removes minus sign

End If

If ordet.Length > 1 Then

'the sql string is being built

If OnlynamesearchCheckBox.Checked = True Then 'search only the name

tillagg += "AND " & icke & " len(aname) > len(Replace(aname, '" & ordet & "', '')) " 'this is fast!

Else

tillagg +=

"AND " & icke & " len(aname+ber+kontaktnamn) > len(Replace(aname+ber+kontaktnamn, '" & ordet & "', '')) " 'search all text fields

End If

End If

'*******************************************

'The string itself, the "answer" to your question:

ResultDataSource.SelectCommand =

"SELECT * FROM Mytable " & _

"WHERE shown = 1  " &  tillagg & "ORDER BY sortering"

ResultGridView.DataBind()

Coding is a nine-to-five job: Nine PM to Five AM.
0
pettrer

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

regarding "in" and "=" in a SQL query
Hi, I am using a sybase database client . When i use "in" in a complex nested query say "select * from emp where emp_id in (select emp_id ..........)" then the execution time is really slow but in the same nested query when i use = as in "select * from emp where emp_id = (select emp_id ..........)", then the query is fast. Is there any particular reason for the same? Regards, Supreeth The obvious difference is that the "=" implies that the subquery can only return a single value as opposed to the "in" which implies that th...

How to give "And" and "OR" in my sql query?
      My layout (.aspx) have 3 TextBox and 2 Dropdownlist and 1 Button which just looks like Search KeyWord 【Texbox1】DorpDownList1 (have 2 items "And" and "Or")  【TextBox2】DorpDownList2 (have 2 items "And" and "Or") 【TextBox3】 Button ( this Button is for submit query)   1 "txtQuery" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 152px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 32px" runat="server" 2 Width="264px"> 3 "ddlBoolean" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 152px; ...

quotes, quotes, quotes...

How to adopt: Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""}?
Hi guys! I'm trying to adopt the code from the Editable Data Grid template. My underlying table has 3 columns: 1st: int(4), identity, autoincrement; 2nd:datetime(8); 3rd:varchar. What do I need to specify in Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""} instead of the first and second "" to get rid of the System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format… Thanks ...

"OUTPUT TO" Statement in "IF"
Hi All, I'm trying to execute the following statements: IF Condition THEN SELECT col FROM tbl; OUTPUT TO 'filename'; ELSE statements... END IF This gave me an error at 'SELECT' Can anyone tell me what is the correct approach? Thanks Stelios Stylianou > Hi All, > > I'm trying to execute the following statements: > IF Condition THEN > SELECT col FROM tbl; > OUTPUT TO 'filename'; > ELSE > statements... > END IF > > This gave me an error at 'SE...

replace the "." with a ","

" union " + " order by " sql statement?
hi, It has error message " column 'CAT' not found " , when i compiled in Interactive SQL ASA7. sorry, my english is poor. ======= what's wrong the sql statement as the below. SQL: select '' as CAT, 'ALL' as DES union select cat,des from category group by cat,des order by cat I want the result is : CAT DES ------- ------ ALL C Cat C B Cat B : : The component SELECT statements must each have the same number of items in the select list, and cannot con...

"Me" is better than "You"

"To" and "From" missing

Using "+" or "||"

"Using" or "With"

Web resources about - Multiple "AND" and "OR" Statements in an SQL Query - asp.net.object-datasource