Excel experts : Filling an complex Excel file and parsing a complex Excel file

I am stuck with below mentioned problem

The requirement is that, we have Excel file template(.xls) which has Macros and most of the Worksheets are either hidden OR locked. When the end user clicks on a button to download it, follows modifications has to be done to the Excel sheet.

  • Unlock the Excel worksheet, fill some data at certain cells and then lock it back
  • Write some data into a hidden worksheet

There are two options as far as I know

  1. Excel Interop/MICROSOFT Excel 11.0 Object Library
  2. OLEDB Driver

I cannot go with option 1 because I cannot install  MS Office on the web server

My Question is that:  Can I use OLEDB for the same (unlock the sheet, fill data and then lock it back) ??????

Any other better solution is also welcomed Big Smile

Please help !!!!

0
meetmammu

Some of the resources I list here might help:

http://rjdudley.com/blog/ResourcesForExportingToExcelInASPNETWithoutExcel.aspx

If my post is your answer, please mark it as the answer. It will bring good karma.

Crystal Alliance
My Blog
Florist Blogs
0
rjdudley

Excel Expert: need a good solution to fill some data into a complex excel sheet
I am stuck with a problem The Requirement is that, there a complex Excel file(XLS) that is used as template; it has Macros and all the worksheets are either locked or hidden. When the user clicks to download it, the follows operation occurs Unlock a particular worksheet, fill some data @ certain cells and then lock it back. Unhide a worksheet, fill some data @ certain cells and then hide it back. I think there are two options to resolve it (if there are more then please let me know) Interop libraries / Excel Object Library OLEDb Driver    I cannot ...

How to copy data from one excel file to other excel file
Hi I have two excel file (Ex1 and Ex2), both have same template (headers) and data will be populated from the dataset. Upto this step its works fine. My question : How to copy the data  form 6th row to last row of "Ex2" and paste it into the "Ex1" after the last row in Ex1.   Advance thanks Have a look here: For VB - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306022 For C# - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306023/ -Damien  Visoft, Inc - Home | Blogs Latest Blog Post: ASP.NET 4.0 AJAX Preview 4 - Client Templates...

Importing complex Excel file into .Net
Greetings, I have an Excel file that has calculations galore. I want to import and have the same functionality of this file in .Net and be able to download it to an Excel file from the browser. Has anyone done this? I can export to xml but have yet to figure how to bind it to the MS Office Spreadsheet Object found in the toolbox of VB.Net. Please help :) thx and Happy Coding Ed...

How to copy one existing excel file contents to a new excel file?
Hi All,    I need VB code to copy sheet contents of one exisiting excel file to another new excel file.   For example: I have abc.xls file with sheet name abcd.   I want to copy the contents to xyz sheet of new excel file xyz.xls. Pls help me regarding this. Regards Abdul      Pls help me.        Which version of Excel are you using? The latest uses an XML format which can be manipulated programatically. Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, ear...

How to convert the html content in Excel file to csv fomat in Excel file
How to convert the html content in Excel file to csv fomat in Excel file  Hello Tapan,Can you explain what are you trying to do? Do you want to export the html content in Excel or CSV File ?Thanks,Deepesh Verma Dont forget to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers....

Got error after open excel file from server..During Export Excel File
this error appears if you have tried to save a workbook on a drive and you do not have Modify and Delete permissions to the location where the file is being saved. It is also possible that another user has a read lock on the file.Excel saves a file using three steps (if the file already exists in the target location):Creates a temporary file with a randomly generated name, such as 4CCA4100.Deletes the original file.Renames the temporary file to the original file name.If Excel cannot delete the original file or cannot rename the temporary file, this error message appears.To temporarily work a...

ADO.Net for Excel files
I wrote a windows form application in C# that uses ADO.Net to read from an Excel file. I receive xls files but have to manually save them as xlsx files because I can't get the program to read xls files (I get "External table is not in the expected format"). As an aside, for broadest .net compatibility, I set each of the Projects (which create assemblies/dlls) for the application to .net framework 2.0. I have 2 questions: 1. How can I get my program to read xls files when Excel 2007 is installed? 2. How can I support environments where Excel 2002 and Excel 2003 are installe...

upload data from an excel file directly into db without saving the excel file
Hi, I want to give users the ability to upload an excel file and then take the data out of the first column in that excel file and insert that into my db.  NB The users will be told to only put data into the first column. I know how to put the input file on my webform and have them upload the file to the server - but i think there must be a better way as i dont want to keep the excel file - just take the info out of the column and discard the excel file. Does anyone have any ideas/tutorials on best way to do this. Thanks...   I have done similar thing, but you can not j...

Importing Complex Excel file into a DataGrid or MS Office Spread Object
Greetings Everyone, I have an Excel file that has calculations galore. I want to import and have the same functionality of this file in .Net and be able to download it to an Excel file from the browser. Has anyone done this? I can export to xml but have yet to figure how to bind it to the MS Office Spreadsheet Object found in the toolbox of VB.Net. Please help :) thx and Happy Coding Ed...

Excel files locked after Excel crash
After Excel crashed a file that is used by several people, stored on the shared volume of the department, it will only open in read-only. Trying to change or delete it gets Sharing Violation error. We can save to another name/location but now can not get rid of old file. In the past the only way to clear this was when the server was rebooted. How do we clear the sharing violation with out rebooting the server? We have NSS ona NW 6 server with latest updates. Bertram, Using NRM you can selectively unlock the file. Goto https://<server ip address>:8009, Volumes, dri...

Parsing a client file and returning an appended excel file...
Hey all. Is there a way to read a file son the web user clients machine, without having them upload the doceumrnt to the web server first. I would like to offer the user an upload box, where they can browse to a CVS file and then read the file using the path in the code behind. I do not want to have to upload the file to the server, then open and read it, then delete it. I simply want to open the file in memory, parse through it, and then disregard it. I have not done this in a few years and am having trouble finding the most efficient method. Thanks in advance. JJOJoe Olsen joe@jo...

dynamically create complex excel file
I know how to export a gridview or send a datatable to open an excel file. But right now I need to export a complext excel file. Which means it has complex structure (both rows and columns have different names, some rows/columns are collapsed, etc.) Anybody knows how to do that? Try:Excel Xml Writer (free)Softartisans OfficeWriter (costs money)Darrell Norton, MVPDarrell Norton's BlogPlease mark this post as answered if it helped you!...

How to Create .mdb file from Excel file using C#.net
Hi all I want to create .mdb file that i have created excel feel from MS jet Database... through code behind Help me in this..  Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. How to create an mdb file programmtically:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317881How to import Excel data into it: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=79 Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

Import Files to Excel File
Greetings, I have a directory full of invidual GEN000*.Result files. Each one of these files has some output which looks like this: PDI Number: GEN000240 Finding Category: CAT I Reference: UNIX STIG: 2.5.3.1 Description: A non-local/non-authoritative (Government) time-server is used. Status: Not Reviewed For example: GEN000240: Please perform a manual review of the domain.net network time server/client using Checklist Section 3, GEN000240, to check the configuration. SRR Script Version: UNIX_51-28Jan2011 UNIX SRR Checklist Page: 28 I want to parse over 300 of these...

Web resources about - Excel experts : Filling an complex Excel file and parsing a complex Excel file - asp.net.object-datasource

Expert - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... rightly, justly, or wisely is accorded authority and status by their peers or the public in a specific well-distinguished domain. An expert, ...

Logic Pro Expert coming Feb. 1
This is a new site from Russ Hughes, the man behind Pro Tools Expert. Russ has turned Pro Tools Expert into the must-go-to site for everything ...

6 Holiday Season Tips for Facebook Marketers from Social Media Expert Mari Smith
The holiday shopping season is about to heat up, and social media expert Mari Smith shared some tips for how marketers on Facebook can benefit ...

Chronik-Fotos - Miami Dolphins Draft Experts - Facebook
... the chance in a NFL uniform. Laurent Duvernay-Tardif is truly one of this year’s gems in the NFL draft today. Unless you’re a big draft expert ...

Expert says sharks getting a ‘bad rap’
SURFERS need to be “more accountable” about when and where they hit the waves to avoid shark attacks, a leading marine expert and conservationist ...

'Nonsense' attacks on Labor's climate plan ignore cost of doing nothing: expert
... deep emissions cuts would smash the economy while ignoring the economic cost of floods, heatwaves, and other climate change fallout, an expert ...

Security experts allege Hello Barbie can be hacked and used to spy on kids
Barbie has had a lot of jobs, but security experts allege her latest gig could be akin to a spy.

Management expert Michael Schrage tells why you should love your ex-employees
Talented people who leave your organisation are not traitors.

Mayim Bialik of 'The Big Bang Theory' to Keynote at #BlogHer16: Experts Among Us
Welcome to our very first keynote speaker announcement for #BlogHer16: Experts Among Us , this August 4-6 in Los Angeles: Actress, author, advocate, ...

Expect another 'flattish' year for S&P: Expert
Discussing oil and the dollar weighing on U.S. earnings, and whether Europe and Japan are the place to invest, with Edward Campbell, Quantitative ...