Error using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 ASP.NET 3.5 to connect to SQL Server Express 2005 AdventureWorks.

I am following the lerning ASP.NET 3.5 by O'REILLY to write some ASP.NET 3.5 code using Visual Studio 2008 SP1. I have gotten to the point to where I need to Configure a Data Source using the SqlDataSource control. I chose Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) even though I have SQL Server Express 2005 - This seems like the only logical choice.

I get to the Add Connection window and successfully add a Server name and I use the Select or enter a database name of AdventureWorks. When I click on Test Connection I get the Test Connection Succeeded message box.

Unfortunately, when I click OK I get an error message of the following:

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral,
PublicKey Token=89845dcd8080cc91'
or one of its dependecies.  The system cannot find
the file specified
.
At his point I am at a lose and everywhere I look and find something similar to my issue it involves other versions of either Visual Studio or SQL Server.  I'd really appreciate any help on this!

Thanks,
Chomaukers
0
chomaukers

Hi chomaukers,

Please install the following features from Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Feature Pack RC0.

  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Native Client
  • Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Management Objects

You can download them from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C6C3E9EF-BA29-4A43-8D69-A2BED18FE73C&displaylang=en#filelist

Thanks.

David Qian
Microsoft Online Community Support

Wencui
11/12/2008 4:16:21 AM

Thanks for the reply.

  • Microsoft SQL Server System CLR Types - Errored even though I also installed the Updater.  However, I installed the other two choices and it appears to have worked.

Thanks,
Chomaukers
0
chomaukers

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1 Error connection string to SQL Server Express 2005
I am following the learning ASP.NET 3.5 by O'REILLY to write some ASP.NET 3.5 code using Visual Studio 2008 SP1. I have gotten to the point to where I need to Configure a Data Source using the SqlDataSource control. I chose Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient) even though I have SQL Server Express 2005 - This seems like the only logical choice. I get to the Add Connection window and successfully add a Server name and I use the Select or enter a database name of AdventureWorks. When I click on Test Connection I get the Test Connection Succeeded message box. Unfortunately, when I click OK I...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

NET 3.5 SP1 Breaks SQL Server Management Studio Express
I stupidly upgraded to ASP.NET 3.5 SP1 and now SQL Server Management Studio Express doesn't work, I can't connect, I get: This version of Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express can only be used to connect to SQL Server 2000 and SQL Server 2005 servers. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Express.ConnectionDlg) Has anybody else seen this? No, I did not install SQL Server 2008. I may be wrong but it sounds like now you have to re-install the latest MS SQL Server Management Studio Express.Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. (Donald Knut...

Connect to ASE 12.5.3 using ADO.Net from Visual Studio 2005?
Hello all, Is there a driver available that will enable me to connect from a VS 2005 application to a Sybase ASE 12.5.3 database located on a unix server on our network? Up until now, I have been trying to do so using OLEDB, but I would imagine that ADO.Net should be faster. Any advice would be much appreciated --- I am hoping that the driver is free and is available directly from Sybase. Regards, Kevin Software Developer Kit (http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do? client=support) Hi, I have exactly the same question. But it seems no one provides any answer yet. Something...

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 Beta breaks SQL Server 2008 (CTP5) Management Studio
I installed .NET 3.5 SP1 and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 beta just to find out that my SQL Server 2008 (CTP5 Management Studio SQL) doesn't work any more. Whenever I try to connect to a SQL Server it displays "The Tabular Data Stream (TDS) version 0x730b0003 of the client library used to open the connection is unsupported or unknown. The connection has been closed." error message. Searching on Google didn't help much. Any suggestions?Vladimir Kelmanhttp://pro-thoughts.blogspot.com/ I am pretty sure VS 2008 SP1 is set up for sql 2008 RC0. You might have to upgrade to RC0S...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Installing .NET Framework, Sql Server 2005 Express, and Visual Studio 2005 Professional
Will someone please offer some advice, a walkthrough, or something to help me through this?  I installed all three of these pieces (.NET, SQL Server 2005 Express, and VS 2005 Professional) onto a WinXP box.  I was unable to get it to work.  It kept throwing SQL errors when I tried to run the security setup for the Personal Website Starter Kit.  So, I uninstalled everything except .NET and reinstalled.  At this point I was able to get to the setup, but unable to add users.  It doesn't throw errors or anything, it just doesn't do anything.  I really re...

Using a REST API using "Astoria" (with .NET Framework 3.5 and VS.NET 2008 SP1)
Hello! I'm really interested in learning how to work with the new .NET Framework 3.5 and VS.NET 2008 SP1 (still beta). Here is my question: I would like to use a REST API that is not made by me. I'm talking about the REST API of Community Server 2008 (www.communityserver.org). I've got the full specification of the API. They have it well documented and ready to go. It appears to be very easy to use, but... HOW? How to connect the web services with the new .NET 3.5 properly? The full specification can be read here: http://api.communityserver.org. I've successully used...

can't connect to sql server database with same connection used in visual studio .net 2003
I have the following code that works fine in visual studio .net 2003 but not with VWD.  I have sql server 2000 developer edition installed locally and this connection works fine with visual studio.  With VWD it fails with the exception "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Login failed for user 'DARRELL\ASPNET'".  It fails on the conn.Open line.   any ideas on what the issue is?Dim conn As SqlConnectionDim connstr As Stringconnstr = "Data Source=DARRELL;Initial Catalog=Event;Integrated Security=SSPI;"Dim daEvents As New SqlDataAdapter("select * from events", connstr...

Using .NET 3.5 in Visual Studio 2005
We are having a major project release that will require extensive testing. Since entire project will be tested we want to recompile the entire solution with .NET 3.5  (from existing .NET 2.0) Can we do this in Visual Studio 2005 without upgrading to VS2008? If yes, how can I target specific .NET version? Hi, dkonyayev:Can we do this in Visual Studio 2005 without upgrading to VS2008? No. VS 2005 was specifically targeted towards the .NET 2.0 framework but could be enhanced by some upgrades to .NET 3.0. For 3.5 however you need VS2008 in which you have the possibility of multitarget...

How to connect SQL Server 2000 in visual studio.net 2005
How can i connect my ASP.NET web application with my sql server 2000. i used visual studio 2003, and there we drag and drop the data adapter and  then a sql connection and then use them in our application. but here we have only sqldatasource or something. so please tell me to make the connection and data retrieval procedure. Kumud Tripathi You can drag a SQL Data Source object onto you web form and select configure data source. This will give you a wizard to connect to a database, and also allows you to set up insert, delete, update statements. You can then use this datasource to...

Is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express?
Hi, I am new to this. I have Visual Studio 2003 Developers Edition, but I do not have SQL server 2000, so I downloaded SQL Server 2005 Express(which is free). My question is, is Visual Studio.Net 2003 Compatible with SQL Server 2005 Express? That is, do I need 2.0 framework to work with SQL server 2005, or version 1.1 framework will work fine? Thank you As far as calling the db, it should be fine. You just dont have the integrated functionality (managed SPROCs, etc) that you would get with VS2005(but even then you need the big versions)....

Web resources about - Error using Visual Studio 2008 SP1 ASP.NET 3.5 to connect to SQL Server Express 2005 AdventureWorks. - asp.net.object-datasource

Introducing the Model Comparer for Entity Framework v4
The Entity Framework designer in Visual Studio 2010 has a lot of improvements over earlier versions. Like its' predecessor in VS2008 it has the ...

"Astoria" Enables RESTful Data Services
Accessing Data Services in the Cloud Speaker: Pablo Castro - Microsoft Audiences: Designer, Developer Come learn about new Microsoft technologies ...

Filtered Indexes and Dynamic SQL
I’ve been told that an attendee at the PASS Summit pre-conference event asked about using dynamic SQL to get around some of the problems with ...

David's Blog
Indexed-views are useful for more than just performance improvement, they can also be used to implement constraints. In particular, constraints ...

CodePlex - Project Directory
Project hosting for open source software.

Microsoft SQL Server Product Samples: Database - Download: SQL Server 2014 RTM In-Memory OLTP Sample
This project contains Database samples released with Microsoft SQL Server product.

Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site - Women's Soccer
The Vanderbilt Official Athletic Site, partner of CBSSports.com College Network. The most comprehensive coverage of Vanderbilt Athletics on the ...

Documentation Articles
Quickly find Azure tutorials, whitepapers, and how-to articles

Considerations for Designing Distributed Systems
We’re at an exciting crossroads for distributed computing.Historically considered something of a black art, distributed computing is nowbeing ...

Msdn forums
Developer Network MSDN subscriptions Get tools Sign in Technologies Cloud Mobile Web Business Data Gaming Downloads Visual Studio MSDN subscriptions ...