Connecting to .MDF file without SQL Server?

I'm currently using an Access database for the ASP.NET 2.0 website I'm developing. My hosting provider runs Windows Server 2003 with the .NET 2.0 framework, but NOT SQL Server or SQL Server Express.

Is it still possible to use .MDF files (like .MDB files)?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but can't find a definitive answer in any books.

Thanks.

0
SquareEyes

Which SQL Server version you are using? 2000 or 2005? If using 2000, you can use MSDE, for 2005 you need to install Express Edition 2005 on the server. Check this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodinfo/previousversions/msde/prodinfo.mspx

Hope this helps,

Vivek

Social Networking Platform in ASP.NET || Join now: CodeASP.NET Community

vivek_iit
11/19/2006 2:31:46 PM
SquareEyes:

I'm currently using an Access database for the ASP.NET 2.0 website I'm developing. My hosting provider runs Windows Server 2003 with the .NET 2.0 framework, but NOT SQL Server or SQL Server Express.

Is it still possible to use .MDF files (like .MDB files)?

Maybe it's a stupid question, but can't find a definitive answer in any books.

Thanks.

It is not a stupid question and the answer is no because in SQL Server the engine is in the server the databases are just two or three files which needs the SQL Server engine to run.  Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/19/2006 5:36:36 PM

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I was hoping the engine for MDF files would be included in Windows Server 2003.

My hosting provider refuses to install SQL Server. Guess it's time to switch.

Thanks for you answers.

0
SquareEyes
11/20/2006 11:52:01 AM
SquareEyes:

Yeah, I was afraid of that. I was hoping the engine for MDF files would be included in Windows Server 2003.

That may never happen Windows is a file server and SQL Server is RDBMS(relational database management systems), both are not related and not similar. Windows cost a few dollars, while SQL Server  cost a lot of money per processor so SQL Server users actually can limit the memory used by Windows.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
11/20/2006 4:16:14 PM

Yes, that is the main thing that surprises me.

Many examples here, in books and in tutorials are based on using SQL Server or SQL Server Express (with SQL Server required when you deploy a site). For small business sites I think Access would do just as well, but the examples for Access in tools like VWD are very limited and support is sometimes awkward.

I'm currently developing a small business site with Access and run into all kinds of quirky problems that are difficult to find references for. Oh well...

0
SquareEyes
11/28/2006 10:02:21 AM

I am not the right person to answer this question for you because I don't use Access, here is what I know at some point someone in Microsoft decided not to implement the third part of the relational model DCL(data control language) in Access so it is a database but not RDBMS(relational database management systems).

In the market place moving Access is not feasible because not for profit MySQL not long ago hired one of the most brilliant ANSI SQL minds so there is going to be a free full featured MySQL soon so Access can hold local data but supporting it for the web is not practical for Microsoft as a business. Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly.
I dont have the SQL EXPRESS installed instead I have SQL Standard Edition.  I have two SQL Server instances installed.  1- UserLT (this is sql 2000)2- UserLT\SQL2005 (this is SQL 2005 named instance) But when i try to add a database to my VS website project I get the following error: Connection to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL server express 2005 to function properly. please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL: go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkId=4925 I went in Tools>Opetions>DataBase tools>Data Connection>Sql Server Instance Name (...

error creating mdf
Connection to SQL server files (*.mdf) require SQL express 2005 to function properly.  please verify the installation of the component or download from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=49251   I AM GOING TO RIP MY HAIR OUT WITH THIS PROBLEM.  I have reinstalled both sql server express 2005 and VWD about 5 times with the same problem.  please, please, please someone throw me a bone here  and help me resolve this problem.  When I create a new EMPTY website and I rightclick on my website in the solution explorer and choose add item, I chooe SQL Database, I...

Error: Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.
Hi guy'sI downloaded the Visual Web Developer 2005 Express, as well as SQL Server 2005 Express, and I am following the instructions given by sbwalker for the DotNetNuke 4.0.0 Starter Kit and Templates. I've gotten stuck trying to create the first Database.mdf file, I get an error that says:"Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly. Please verify the installation of the component or download from the URL http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=49251Any ideas what I should do? I installed SQL Server before Web Developer, and as far as I c...

connect to MDF file without having SQL Server 2005 Express installed
All -- Please help.  Is it possible to connect to MDF file without having SQL Server 2005 Express installed on the machine? That is-- can one connect directly to an MDF in the same way and Access MDB file can be used? If no, then is there any way around this? If yes, then are there any limitations? Please advise. Thank you. -- Mark Kamoski  http://www.NetBrainer.com No, it's not possible. However, you can try Sql Compact http://www.microsoft.com/sql/editions/compact/default.mspxPlese, do not forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you. Tha...

Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL
re error message>>> "Connections to sql server files" "require sql server express 2005 to function properly" Am trying to go through the MVC tutorial and when I try to add Item in app_data and make a new blank database I get the message in Subject above. I have Sql Developer 2005 installed, not sql serverexpress. My Instance name is DALEHP\SQLDEVELOPER  and I have put that into the Visual Studio 2008 Database options screen. Any ideas on how to make blank database file?   Hi, I assume that you take one of the first tutorials, the one with the...

Make Connection String with Direct connection to Sql Server Physical data file(*.MDF) !!!
Hi allplease excuse me for this silly question,following is a properconnection string for connecting to sql server database tahti use in my ASP.NET projects , Server=192.168.0.20;Database=MyDatabaseName;User ID=useris;Pwd=*** Now i want to know is it possible to make a connection string in a way that connects directly to (*.MDF) file of a Sql Server Database!!!???nothing just curiosity.! Thanks in advance.Kind Regards.  Nothing Is Quite Impossible !!!  Not unless you detach the .mdf file and put it in your app_data directory and your hosting provider would have to support tha...

"connections to SQL server files (*.mdf)" error message in Visual studio when adding a new SQL database
Hope you can help. Running Visual Studio 2005 and SQLServer2005.  I have created a new project and am attempting to add a new SQL database to it.  When I select the SQL database I get an "Connections to SQL server files (*.mdf) requires SQL Server Express to function properly" error message.  I also tried to add an existng database and it errors out as well "The file can not be opened as it is being used by another process.....".  However, I can create a new data source connection to existing SQL databases.  One caveat though.  I can ...

I created a website on my localhost with three .mdf files using SQL express but now I get an error when I try to host it on my web server without SQL express. need some help on how to change my connec
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred whil...

Is is possible to run a .SQL file on SQL Server without converting file contents to a string?
Is it possible to run a .SQL file without converting the contents of the file to a string and then executing the string? Is it possible to run or execute the file? Thanks You can use the .sql file as an input file to ISQL using the -i switch "Kevin Wiebe" <kevin.wiebe@riseinc.com> wrote in message news:BjSh5G7GCHA.196@forums.sybase.com... > Is it possible to run a .SQL file without converting the contents of the > file to a string and then executing the string? Is it possible to run or > execute the file? > Thanks > > ...

How many open connections does SQL server 2005 express allow to .mdf file
Hi Guys, how many connections does sql 2005 express allow to .mdf file. I stumpled on info on a microsoft site (actually a forum post on msdn) that sql server express allows only a single connection to an .mdf file. Iam intrested in this because i developed reporting services reports in BIS and iam having problems. If i run a report from report manager, i have to wait for close to 20 minutes before i can be able to run my asp.net application agian. Else if i insert data or retrieve data from my asp.net application, then i have to wait again for 20 minutes or more before i can be able t...

Sql 2005 mdf files uprage to Sql 2008 mdf files ?
hiwhat is different between SQL 2008 Server and SQL 2005 Server ?SQL 2008 Server is more fast for searching ?i created my *.mdf at Sql 2005. does it work at SQL 2008 ? does it work same performance with *.mdf that created with SQL 2008 ? can i uprage my *.mdf for sql 2008 ? what should i do ? ThanksMark as me if my question or my answer can be helpful for you :) I posted this link before http://www.angryhacker.com/blog/archive/2008/06/20/10-reasons-why-sql-server-2008-is-going-to-rock.aspx You can upgrade your MDF to SQL Server 2008, but you would not be able to downgrade.Beware of bu...

Web resources about - Connecting to .MDF file without SQL Server? - asp.net.object-datasource

List of Nebraska Connecting Link, Spur, and Recreation Highways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nebraska Connecting Link , Nebraska Spur , and Nebraska Recreation Road highways are a secondary part of the Nebraska highway system . They connect ...

Israeli Hotel U Coral Beach Club Eilat Has a Unique Way of Connecting Guests to Facebook
U Coral Beach Club Eilat, a hotel in Israel , is taking sharing vacation photos and checking in to the next level thanks to a collaboration between ...

Connecting 100 Million People in Africa
„Facebook for Business“ liefert dir aktuelle Nachrichten, Tipps und Best Practices für den Einsatz von Facebook zur Erreichung deiner Unternehmensziele: ...

Papa John’s Connecting with 200,000 Fans on Facebook
More brands are engaging with Facebook’s 150 million users through Facebook advertising solutions and the Facebook Platform, patterns of best ...

Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store on iTunes
Get Jewel Dots Puzzler - A Cool Connecting Dots Puzzle For Kids on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Connecting the community, my Twitter strategy, and American Airlines at DFW - Flickr - Photo Sharing ...
I thought, to commemorate this entry on connecting people, that I'd include a photo of an airplane from one of the busiest airports in the world ...

Connecting an Arduino to a DSC 1550 Alarm Panel - YouTube
Have an old DSC-1550 (PC 1550) Alarm Panel? This video shows how to connect an Arduino to the panel, simulate a keypad, and monitor the state ...