Checking Username\ password against SQL Server database to validate users at login

I have login page (login.aspx) with a username and pasword textbox. I want to check if the username or the password exists in the database (let the table be named as "users"). If the username and the password exists in the table then I allow the user to the default.aspx page otherwise I generate the error message that "Either the username\password is invalid".

Please advise how do I do check against the database in asp.net???

thanks in advance
0
Amitava

Thanks for the materials..these will really help me to understand Froms based authentication..but for now I would just like to know how the code for checking username and password against those existing in tables in the database can be written in ASP.Net

Hope I am clear in my explanations...

Thanks a lot
0
Amitava

Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'Server\Username'... again
I have been working for a few month on a project, when suddenly I can not access the local database I use for testing. Here are some details:Microsoft Visual Studio, C# application, The database is in the folder "App_Data," gets attached automatically, and is accessed using Windows authentication, and hence, no user accounts were created explicitely. Connection string:<add name="ASPNETDBConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|\ASPNETDB.MDF;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True" providerName="Sy...

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login 'WinFM SQL PFS'. Login fails.
HiASP pages were properly connecting to SQL DB until I restored from a backup DB.  As soon as I finished restoring from the backup DB, I am getting the following error message.   I did not make any changes on ASP side.  IIS Server and SQL 2K Server is running on a WIN2K Server Box.Please help.Thank you.HTTP 500.100 - Internal Server Error - ASP errorInternet Information ServicesTechnical Information (for support personnel)Error Type:Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database requested in login...

How to authenticate users using user login and password stored in SQL database?
Hi. I have a DetailsView with Bound Fields "Login" and "Password". This informations are stored in SQL database. How to solve such authorization? How to compare password stored in database against passowrd typed by user? Is this a good idea to use CustomValidator control to write some checking procedure?. Regards. Pawel. A custom validator control probably isn’t the best choice to validate the user password.  Typically websites avoid acknowledging that the username is in the system if the password is incorrect.  I’d take a look at the ASP.Net Membership Provider.  You can cr...

How to authenticate users using user login and password stored in SQL database?
Hi. I have a DetailsView with Bound Fields "Login" and "Password". This informations are stored in SQL database. How to solve such authorization? How to compare password stored in database against passowrd typed by user? Is this a good idea to use CustomValidator control to write some checking procedure?. Regards. Pawel. When you click the login button. Perform a select query to your database that gets the password for the given loginname. Then compare the two passwords. Good luck!Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful rep...

checking a username and password to a database & storing a shopping cart in a sql database
I have a registration form workin, the username and password is being store to a database called user_info, the login page needs to check to see whether the vakues are correct if they are then redirect to welcome.aspx for example and if incorrect then redirct to login.aspx with a error message for example. I need a simple SQL statement which will run a query when the login button is clicked, can someone please help me with this ive been stuck on this for absolute ages. Just a simple SQL query eg; SELECT username, password FROM user_info WHERE username = ? and password = ? is this alo...

saw that some coders insert encrypted fields which are users passwords in the SQL database. How do we do that. Is that a feature of SQL server or do we do that in the code. also , how do we manage to
 saw that some coders insert encrypted fields which are users passwords in the SQL database. How do we do that. Is that a feature of SQL server or do we do that in the code. also , how do we manage to read the password value from the database when it s all encrypted and looks like weird characters in the password users table. What .Net feature allows that and is there any way to do that in SQL server itself. ThanksThanks a lot, I appreciate your taking the time to help me. If you're talking about saving passwords in aspnet_db, this Encryption is done by MembershipProvider automati...

Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
please tellme how to resolve this error, i m using server studio management tool. and trying to connect using sql server authentication. my pc is over a domain.   Login failed for user 'Bachelorplace'. The user is not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)  check whether that sql server is allowing sqlauthentication or not.select that server -> right click it-> select  properties  -> in the window, select security -> check what is the server authentication. it should be  sqlserver and windows authentica...

Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)
Hi when i try and open a database in sql server management studio i get the error "Cannot open user default database. Login failed. Login failed for user 'DOMAIN\User'. (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)", what can i do to rectify this, i have googled around and still havent found no answers. Which authentication mode is your Sql Server configured - MixedMode, Windows Authentication or Sql Server Authentication? Please refer to http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms366351.aspx and http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2006/02/21/536201.aspx    Ple...

How to check for the existing user in database and using custom validator how to check check box is checked or not?
Hi Friends, For Registration page i want to check if that user already exist in database or not? and i also have to check if user have check the checkbox for i agree then only he will be able to complete registration. here i am sending my design. and all validation i have done all validation except these two.<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" > <head id="Head1" runat="server"> <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /> <title>PRIZE MLS</title><link href="css/style.c...

how to check login user permission in sql server 2000
Is it possible for me to see if a user executing the stored procedure has select rights on the table and exit if not?Can i see the all permission of a user in sqlserver 2000.ThanksRemember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you.Thanks. hi,  You can simply give a look at the sysprotects table: it contains the table id, the user id and the permission type. If you want to retrieve the user name you have to join the sysusers table and if you want to retrieve the table name you have to join the sysobjects table. check this query, select sysusers.name as username, sy...

Login the redirecting to user info from SQL server database
hello everyone.. i want to use the login control , but not using User Name/pass, but using UserID/Pass, to redirect the user to his personal information page which is in another database, i am using the default login database ASPNETDB.mdf  for the authentication. possible right?i just want to know what more to be done? thanks  another small question.. in the ASPNETDB.mdf there is UserID <-- is it the user name in the login control? beacuse as i mentioned above, i want user to login using their ID number not user name, is it by default UserID? so i dont have to change a...

SQL Server Express 2005: Can't change the login password for my sql login
I recently changed the database for the Web Site Administration Tool that comes with ASP.Net 2.0.  When I clicked the security tab, I kept getting an error on the page saying: There is problem with your selected data store.  This can be caused by an invalid server name or credentials, or by insufficient permission.  It can also be caused by the role manager feature not being enabled.  Click the button below to be redirected to a page where you can choose a new data store. The following message may help in diagnosing the problem:  Login failed for user '<myloginu...

Web resources about - Checking Username\ password against SQL Server database to validate users at login - asp.net.object-datasource

Checking whether a coin is fair - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In statistics , the question of checking whether a coin is fair is one whose importance lies, firstly, in providing a simple problem on which ...

Facebook As A Means Of Credit Checking
How you socialize online, who with, and how often can make or break your loan application : True or false? It is true, surprisingly. And it is ...

Checking in at the World Cup and Leaving with Friends
... to the 2014 World Cup and we wanted to take a closer look at those who used Facebook to stay connected while they were in Brazil, checking into ...

State of Journalism: The Lost Art of Fact Checking
... Read all the posts here.It wasn’t exactly Bright Lights, Big City. Jay McInerney’s well State of Journalism: The Lost Art of Fact Checking March ...

Diver Checking Underwater Protection of Cable - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Diver checking underwater protection of cable at hydroacoustic station HA08 at the British Indian Ocean Territory (BIOT), U.K. Copyright CTBTO ...

ESPN's Ray Lewis caught checking his phone on live TV for 20 seconds - YouTube
The Indianapolis Colts are gearing up for a Monday night AFC East clash against the New York Jets. The Colts are looking for their first win ...

Q&A: Checking rego date
Hugo is wondering what is the best way to check vehicle registration date now that cars no longer have rego labels in NSW.

Q&A: Checking rego date
Hugo is wondering what is the best way to check vehicle registration date now that cars no longer have rego labels in NSW.

Australian police checking MH17 site
Independent monitors are helping Canberra negotiate with armed rebels over access to the MH17 crash site.