"Using" or "With"

Hi all

Please can someone enlighten to me as regards the difference with the "Using" and "With" statement when accessing data - which is better, what are the limitations and/or any pointers. Many thanks.

Regards

Dave

David Winchester

Please mark as answer if this is the solution.
0
Dave_Winchester

 using gives you the ability to use the connection and it closes the connection directlly after you finish using it. and there is no need to try- cach - finaly. there is no limitation on using USING keyword

Muhanad YOUNIS
MCSD.NET
My Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn

0
mohi88
7/31/2008 10:45:41 AM

I have a dataobject the returns a sqldatareader using the "Using cn As New SqlConnection..." but I get and unhandled exception error --> Invalid Attempt to call FieldCount when reader is closed.

But this works when using the "With" statement - Any ideas why? Thanks again.

David Winchester

Please mark as answer if this is the solution.
0
Dave_Winchester
7/31/2008 11:14:56 AM

 hi, can you post your code here,

thanks

Bryian Tan
MCP, MCAD
0
BryianTan
7/31/2008 11:21:57 AM

are you using cn.close()???

when using  USING statement you just cn.open() an dleave the the USING to take care of the rest.

but if you post your code you can take more help

Muhanad YOUNIS
MCSD.NET
My Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn

0
mohi88
7/31/2008 11:38:05 AM

Here you go.

Using cn As New SqlConnection(AppConfiguration.ConnectionString)Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("proc_Folder_GetFoldersForUser", cn)

cmd.Parameters.Add(
"@UserName", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = userName

cn.Open()

Return cmd.ExecuteReader()

End Using

Next Example:

Dim conn As New SqlConnection(AppConfiguration.ConnectionString)

Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("proc_Folder_GetFoldersForUser", conn)

With cmd

.CommandType = CommandType.StoredProcedure

.Connection.Open()

.Parameters.Add(
"@UserName", SqlDbType.NVarChar).Value = userNameReturn cmd.ExecuteReader()

.Dispose()

.Connection.Close()

End With

David Winchester

Please mark as answer if this is the solution.
0
Dave_Winchester
7/31/2008 11:56:41 AM

i'm not VB coder; but on example one there is no problem as i can see. on example 2 you are disposing before closing the connection.

first close the connection after that dispose. and you may have a look at this article too

http://davidhayden.com/blog/dave/archive/2005/01/13/773.aspx

Muhanad YOUNIS
MCSD.NET
My Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn

0
mohi88
7/31/2008 12:04:19 PM

 Just can't seem to get the 1st one to work - Keep getting that error. Think I will just use the 2nd option with the .Dispose Method (as this closes the connection at the same time according MSDN) Pity I prefer the code from example 1.

I'm gonna leave the topic open for another hour or two and see if anyone has anyother advice for me.

Thanks for all the help mohi88

Dave

David Winchester

Please mark as answer if this is the solution.
0
Dave_Winchester
7/31/2008 12:53:53 PM

 try to use the first line like this

Using Dim cn As New SqlConnection(ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings("cn_name_inwebconfig").ConnectionString)
and  after that open the connetion and but what else code after open including Dim cmd as new sqlCommand(.....)
 and you may check here to in VB
http://www.pluralsight.com/community/blogs/fritz/archive/2005/04/28/7834.aspx
that might work!!
hope this helps

Muhanad YOUNIS
MCSD.NET
My Blog || My Photos || LinkedIn

0
mohi88

Using "+" or "||"

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

How to adopt: Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""}?
Hi guys! I'm trying to adopt the code from the Editable Data Grid template. My underlying table has 3 columns: 1st: int(4), identity, autoincrement; 2nd:datetime(8); 3rd:varchar. What do I need to specify in Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""} instead of the first and second "" to get rid of the System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format… Thanks ...

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"To" and "From" missing

double quote

"Me" is better than "You"

"JROC" / "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ"
I just started a new contract and the tech lead told me that he wanted me to become familiar with something called "JROC" (among some other tools). I've been searching the web and I haven't found any dev tool called "JROC." Based on the name of the tool, it sounds like it encapsulates some javascript functionality. I have tried searching for different spellings - "JROK" / "JROCK" / "JROQ" but I haven't found any matches. Have you ever heard of a dev tool by this name?...

"SSL" "Mail" and "Code"
Does anybody know of any discussions taking place within Mozilla regarding these 3 bits in the certificate manager? Perhaps I've missed something in the discussions here. In any case, I think a new mechanism for indicating trust w/in the Mozilla apps are needed. Take for example the "StartCom Certification Authority" root. The Certificate Manager (I'm using Firefox on Windows) says it can identify web sites, email users, and code yet the cert itself says it can only be used for signing other certs (essentially, that is). At a minimum this is confusing but I have...

Web resources about - "Using" or "With" - asp.net.object-datasource