"Action Stored Procedure" vs "Stored Procedure"

How would you explain an "Action Stored Procedure" as opposed to just "Stored Procedure"
Regards

Andre Colbiornsen
---------------------------------
Seventh Day
Råbygatan 1A,
SE-223 61 Lund
Sweden
Mob.: +46-(0)708-97 78 79
Mail: info@seventhday.se
--------------------------------
0
adec

I would say that an "action stored procedure" is one which returns data records back to the calling program.  A regular "stored procedure" is one which only returns OUTPUT parameters or a RETURN value to the calling program.

I personally do not distinguish between the two and call them all "stored procedures". Because any stored procedure could potentally return all 3 (records, OUTPUT parameters, and a RETURN value).
Terri
Terri Morton
Engagement Manager, Neudesic

How to ask a question

0
tmorton

TableAdapter returns "object" instead of "int?" for a "GetCount" stored procedure
I am using a table adapter to generate a typed dataset. I used the wizard to create a method named "GetAllUsersCount" in dal which calls a stored procedure which has the following code ---- SET NOCOUNT ON; SELECT COUNT(*) AS Expr1 FROM tenderdigest.UserInfo using this code in the procedure the wizard creates a method named "GetAllUsersCount" which returns "int?" , which is i expect.  But later , i created another procedure with code --- SET NOCOUNT ON; SELECT COUNT(*) AS Expr1 FROM tenderdigest.UserInfo where email = @email which the adpater generates as "GetCountByEma...

Calling a stored procedure inside another stored procedure (or "nested stored procedures")
Hi all - I'm trying to optimized my stored procedures to be a bit easier to maintain, and am sure this is possible, not am very unclear on the syntax to doing this correctly.  For example, I have a simple stored procedure that takes a string as a parameter, and returns its resolved index that corresponds to a record in my database. ie exec dbo.DeriveStatusID 'Created' returns an int value as 1 (performed by "SELECT statusID FROM statusList WHERE statusName= 'Created')  but I also have a second stored procedure that needs to make reference to&n...

"reference to" and "procedure of"
Hi, What is the difference between these two definitions: TThreadMethod = procedure of object; TThreadProcedure = reference to procedure; Please can you try to explain simply :) Thank you, BP. "Mehmet Fide" <off@b.net> wrote in message news:426398@forums.embarcadero.com... > > What is the difference between these two definitions: > > TThreadMethod = procedure of object; Defines a procedure or function signature that must be a member of a class, do for example: type TMyClass = class private MyMethod: ThreadMetho...

Server Explorer
Since my web host only supports Access...well, that's why I'm using Access. When an Access database connection is opened in Server Explorer, there're 4 folders that correspond to what you'll find in SQL Sever. Tables - which displays Access tables. Views - which display Access SELECT queries that don't take parameters. Stored Procedures - which displays Access "action" queries. Functions - which displays Access SELECT queries that do take parameters. I can use an AccessDataProvider to select data from a table or query (view) when doing "...

Deleting from table "aspnet_Users" by calling the stored procedure "aspnet_Users_DeleteUser"
I want to delete a user from the table named aspnet_Users as we are using the SQL server provider model. From what I have read, I will need to use the C# method "Membership.DeleteUser(username[,])" to perform the deletion.Furthermore from what I understand, the method I just mentioned ultimately calls a stored procedure named "aspnet_Users_DeleteUser" The second parameter in the method call expects an integer value. The problem is that I don't know what integer value I need to pass in? Can anyone helpme out with this? As I mentioned, I only need to delete from the t...

.ALLCOL("%COLUMN%", " ", ", ", ", ")

quotes, quotes, quotes...

"PopupExtender" vs "PopupControl" vs "PopupExtenderControl"
I am looking through the Toolkit source code and trying to understand it wrt the PopupExtenderControl.  In the project I see two folders: "PopupExtender" and "PopupControl".  These contains classes "PopupControlExtender" and "PopupExtender" and these both eventually derived from "AnimationExtenderControlBase".Do these two classes work in conjunction to implement the PopupExtender?  Or are they separate, autonomous extenders wth different purposes?  If so, which one corresponds to the PopupExtender on the sample page? ...

How to adopt: Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""}?
Hi guys! I'm trying to adopt the code from the Editable Data Grid template. My underlying table has 3 columns: 1st: int(4), identity, autoincrement; 2nd:datetime(8); 3rd:varchar. What do I need to specify in Dim rowValues As Object() = {"","",""} instead of the first and second "" to get rid of the System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format… Thanks ...

replace the "." with a ","

Replacing "\\" with "\"

"Using" or "With"

double quote

Web resources about - "Action Stored Procedure" vs "Stored Procedure" - asp.net.object-datasource