Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET

Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select.

To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.

 Do a right-mouse-click on the web service, in my case named AutoComplete.asmx, and open with Notepad if nothing else.

It showed:

<%@ WebService Language="vb" CodeBehind="AutoComplete.asmx.vb" Class="FORMERPROJECTNAME.AutoComplete" %>

I changed 'FORMERPROJECTNAME' to 'CURRENTPROJECTNAME', and it once again worked like a champ.

0
BobSullentrup
1/18/2008 3:40:33 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Thank you for your post!

As we all know, the namespace name for a project is the project name by default.so....

Thanks again for sharing your solution.

Best Regards,

Sincerely,
Jin-Yu Yin
Microsoft Online Community Support
0
Jin
1/24/2008 8:51:30 AM

Thanks so much!  I'm embarrassed to admit that I spent 3 hours trying (unsuccessfully) to debug this on my project.  You hit the nail on the head.  I had also copied a working AutoComplete from another project, and apparently messed up when I renamed it.  The error is never reported -- it just fails to work.  I changed the project name and it fired right up.

 Thanks again,
--Tony

0
tonyhecht

Consuming Web service from .net 3.5 web application using ajax
Hi , Before in .net 2005 ,I use to consume the  web service from client side via Ajax and java script. that's just adding web service inside the script manger services.But  it was not possible with .net 2008 version WEB APPLICATION   , Even it works well with .net 2008 web sites. Please help me to solve the issue. I have no idea what you mean. Please post the code that "does not work". NC...   I have the same problem.  I have a .NET 3.5 Web Application not Web Site.  I fully qualify the web service with the namespace i,e,  &n...

Cannot call a web service from java script using ajax in .net 3.5 web applications
As like 2005 .net websites i tried to consume a web service from client side java script  using Ajax script manager in  .net 3.5 (2008) version web application it was not working, Event it works with 3.5 web sites, What i have to do to solve the issue. Thanks in advance Hi, can you create the least amount of code to reproduce it and post it? This gives us the ability to check out your code and better guide you. Also please check out this article: Create a Simple WCF Web Service and Use In JavaScript With Visual Studio 2008 and .Net 3.5.  Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Fire...

.NET web services Vs Java Web Services

.Net Web Service with pure ajax
I am trying to get my .net web service on 1 of my live servers to work with pure javascript ajax (I do not like MS components so Atlas/ASP.NET ajax is not what I am trying to do).  It really doesnt matter I suppose because its not just gethttprequest that fails also whats interesting is that if I hit the web service interactively and click on invoke it renders properly, however, if I copy and paste that url that just worked into a new tab it fails with:  InvalidOperationException: Request format is unrecognized for URL unexpectedly ending in '/getName'.   I have bee...

web service call failed: 500 using ajax hovermenu and web service with ascx file
I am using a hovermenu extender on an image button. The hovemenu extender calls a web service and returns back information that I write to the panel that displays. A portion of the code is below. This works when the Page is an aspx page but when I move it to an ascx page I get web service call failed. I do have the ascx page in a folder called controls/pages off of the root but both the default.aspx page and the bedinfo.asmx page are on the root. I don't think I have a path problem. I can include more complete code, there are actually 50 images with 50 hovermenu extenders and one p...

'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service
Hi there, I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the hovermenu's panel). When accessing the web service I created (directly through the browser) everything works fine.. here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>' DynamicServiceMethod="GetS...

Ajax Autocomplete is not working with web service. Please help
This is the code I have written in web service  Imports System.Web Imports System.Web.Services Imports System.Web.Services.Protocols Imports System.Data.SqlClient ' To allow this Web Service to be called from script, using ASP.NET AJAX, uncomment the following line. <System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()> _ <WebService(Namespace:="http://tempuri.org/")> _ <WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo:=WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)> _ <Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _ Public Class TagSuggest Inherits Syste...

Ajax calls web service. Web service returns string nodes and 1 node of binary data...How?
I've been all over the place looking for some helpful clues with ASP.Net 3.5 and handling binary data returned to a client.  Initially it was a standard PDF v1.3...at this point, I'd be happy to see that Ajax ASP.Net sending back an image or sound file embedded as binary data within the XML/SOAP data sent back to the user.  Below is one of several variations that I've tried.  Any suggestions? 1.  User clicks a button on the web page.  The button calls a JScript which calls the web service. 2.  The web service sends back an XML/SOAP respon...

Converting Web Site to Web Application (AJAX web service goes missing)
I have just completed (almost) an exercise to convert a web site to a web app (acedemic reasons - just to see the differences).A few bumps on the road such as copying class files to the new solution and wondering for a while why the classes did not show up.  It was because the properties for the class file were "content" rather than "compile".  Also copied all my images to a newly created image folder outside the IDE.  There is no context menu item to refresh a folder in the Web App so it was out of the car and back in to fix that.One problem remains. ...

Ajax call web services failed after convert web site into web project
Hi Guys I have one web site application and use ajax call web services. it is working very well. 1. Master page set up scriptmanager with webservices path. 2. Web service inside web site application under app_code named ajaxwebservice.cs 3. Javascript call ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); But after I convert web site into web application project, the ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); failed, the ajaxwebservice in undifined error. I use the same web.config, master page, I put my ajaxwebservice.asmx and ajaxwebservic...

Web resources about - Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET - asp.net.networking-webservices

Measure, optimize, and troubleshoot your Facebook Platform integrations with Platform Insights.
Measure, optimize, and troubleshoot your Facebook Platform integrations with Platform Insights.

App Store - AT&T U-verse Troubleshoot & Resolve Mobile
Get AT&T U-verse Troubleshoot & Resolve Mobile on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Roger Penske makes flying visit to troubleshoot V8 problems
Even by the standard of his famously relentless schedule, American magnate Roger&nbsp;Penske's visit to Perth last weekend to review his racing ...

Troubleshoot - English Premier League - Fox Sports
Since 2004, Fox Sports staff have been invited to participate in our workplace giving program, On Air Care, raising valuable funds for the community. ...

How To Troubleshoot a Failing Home-based Business
... built your eCommerce business. Unfortunately, you only made a little money. You made more than enough to take the […] The post How To Troubleshoot ...

White House aide arrives to troubleshoot Phoenix VA
President Barack Obama's emissary went to the Carl T. Hayden Medical Center Thursday to review Phoenix VA operations.

Troubleshoot USB problems with USB Device Tree Viewer
... on the same hub was highlighted with an exclamation mark icon, indicating a "device general failure", perhaps very helpful if we were troubleshooting. ...

Troubleshoot your Wi-Fi connection with 86% off NetSpot Pro
... favorite show on Netflix, and about an hour before you need to submit something to your boss. Until now, that is. We're making it easy to troubleshoot ...

SpaceX launch up in the air as NASA troubleshoots glitch aboard space lab
Power knocked out to backup computer unit; NASA managers approve contingency spacewalk to replace "black box"

The BYOD Troubleshoot: Security and Cost-Savings
Bring-your-own-device, or BYOD, programs in the enterprise can liberate employees and trim the bottom line. But it also brings hidden costs and ...