Secure Ajax Client Web Service Calls??

Does anyone know if it is possible to write secure ajax web service calls from JavaScript?  I have an application that in the main uses UpdatePanels to present pay check data for multiple employees.  However i want to use JavaScript to get additional text from the database only when they hover over specific links on the page.  I could preload the text with the rest of the data via the update panels but I'd prefer to get it only of the intentionally hover over the link.

I have the code working but I can not work out how to secure the call to the webb service to get the text.  it needs to be as the text has sensative data in it.

Thanks

Nick

0
nprudhoe
3/8/2007 9:09:07 AM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

found the solution.  My web service was secured by forms authentication which although not the normal way to secure a web service works in this context.
0
nprudhoe

Call a SECURED (with glassfish) Java EE Web Service from a .Net Client
Hi, Im trying to call a java web service in visual studio 2008 using a simple forms application. The problem that I'm running into is with the security. Can someone point me in the right direction as far as calling a secured java EE web service using .Net? Thanks. Adam Im unfamiliar with glassfish, however if the web service's security is WS-Security compliant, then you'll have to use WSE 3.0 (addon by Microsoft to make web services more useful) or Windows Communication Foundation. Thanks for the reply. Can you point me in the direction of using WSE to call a java...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click...

WS-Security with VS.NET 2005 Web Service and .NET 1.1 Client
We ship a webservices client piece into the field which is required to run on the .NET 1.1 version of the framework, this is defined by our business people and cannot change. We would like to work with .NET 2.0 in VS.NET 2005 for the backend Web Service piece. We are able to get the 2 to communicate fine and it is not a problem. The issue now is that we need to introduce security through WS-Security. I have not been able to find much information about interop between the 2 environments and WS-Security and cannot get the security elements to be invoked in VS.NET 2005. Currently we are trying ...

Cannot call a web service from java script using ajax in .net 3.5 web applications
As like 2005 .net websites i tried to consume a web service from client side java script  using Ajax script manager in  .net 3.5 (2008) version web application it was not working, Event it works with 3.5 web sites, What i have to do to solve the issue. Thanks in advance Hi, can you create the least amount of code to reproduce it and post it? This gives us the ability to check out your code and better guide you. Also please check out this article: Create a Simple WCF Web Service and Use In JavaScript With Visual Studio 2008 and .Net 3.5.  Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Fire...

Can i setup endpoints in my web config so i can call my wfc ajax web service from both the client and the server?
I am having trouble setting up a webHTTPbinding endpoint and a wsHTTPbinding endpoint on the same site so i can call my web services from the client or server.  Seems to work fine i chose one or the other, has anyone else tried to do this?  Thanks for any help. Wayne...

Query on webservices :-- client calling a web service
Hello there I am not sure, this is the right forum. I am trying to post a question and this forum represented quite closed to what i need. Basically, i wrote a webservice ( a very simple one), it returns a string when i call the webservice directly from the browser and click the invoke button. Now i created a proxy of this webservice and i wrote a web page and tried calling my webmethod. Now i get an error with the message Client found response content type of 'text/html', but expected 'text/xml'. The request failed with the error message: -- ...

Security issues about calling web services from client code
Hi, In the site i'm developing i created a dynamic form that when user clicks on it it grows an moves to the center of the screen. i've done that with prototype and scriptacoulus. i'm processing this forms data using a page method, but when i try to  use it on a master page it doesn't work. i learned that only way to do this with masterpage is creating  a web service with required attribute. My question is; is it safe to pass user data using a web service to process it and send to database. Because page methods declared in a webform's codebehind i thin...

How To: Call a Java EE Web Service from a .Net Client
Hi, I have to call a Java Web Service from a .Net Client .I'm using VS2008 (.net 3.5) Did you face the same situation ? The web service offers some methods. Each method returns a xml file and a xml attachment. I found this article.http://blogs.msdn.com/bursteg/archive/2008/07/19/how-to-call-a-java-ee-web-service-from-a-net-client.aspx . Do you think that this is a good resource ?  I watched something about WCF. Have I to use WCF ? How can I manage xml attachment ? thank you for your attention .     It's a good resource and there are also other way...

'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service
Hi there, I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the hovermenu's panel). When accessing the web service I created (directly through the browser) everything works fine.. here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>' DynamicServiceMethod="GetS...

web service call failed: 500 using ajax hovermenu and web service with ascx file
I am using a hovermenu extender on an image button. The hovemenu extender calls a web service and returns back information that I write to the panel that displays. A portion of the code is below. This works when the Page is an aspx page but when I move it to an ascx page I get web service call failed. I do have the ascx page in a folder called controls/pages off of the root but both the default.aspx page and the bedinfo.asmx page are on the root. I don't think I have a path problem. I can include more complete code, there are actually 50 images with 50 hovermenu extenders and one p...

A question about Web Service security / secured web service Testing
Hi, I created a web service and secure it using SoapExtention. I implemented code from this link. http://www.developer.com/net/net/article.php/11087_2192901_2 Now if I create proxy class from my other webapplication and call any webmethod of my webservice, I must provide username password to access any of its webmethod, otherwise it is throwing SOAP Exception which works fine. But now when I open this webservice locally using its URL, in Internet Explorer, like http://localhost/MyWebService/poservice.asmx, it shows me all webmethods and I can invoke any webmethod from here without using ...

Ajax calls web service. Web service returns string nodes and 1 node of binary data...How?
I've been all over the place looking for some helpful clues with ASP.Net 3.5 and handling binary data returned to a client.  Initially it was a standard PDF v1.3...at this point, I'd be happy to see that Ajax ASP.Net sending back an image or sound file embedded as binary data within the XML/SOAP data sent back to the user.  Below is one of several variations that I've tried.  Any suggestions? 1.  User clicks a button on the web page.  The button calls a JScript which calls the web service. 2.  The web service sends back an XML/SOAP respon...

Ajax call web services failed after convert web site into web project
Hi Guys I have one web site application and use ajax call web services. it is working very well. 1. Master page set up scriptmanager with webservices path. 2. Web service inside web site application under app_code named ajaxwebservice.cs 3. Javascript call ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); But after I convert web site into web application project, the ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); failed, the ajaxwebservice in undifined error. I use the same web.config, master page, I put my ajaxwebservice.asmx and ajaxwebservic...

Web resources about - Secure Ajax Client Web Service Calls?? - asp.net.networking-webservices

Public Broadcasting Service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
... such as PBS NewsHour , Masterpiece , and Frontline . Since the mid-2000s, Roper polls commissioned by PBS have consistently placed the service ...

Pinery Fire: Country Fire Service declares fire is contained as residents confront widespread devastation ...
THE deadly Pinery fire — which has been fully contained — destroyed or severely damaged 87 homes that are now considered uninhabitable, Premier ...

State shuts down Aboriginal children's ear screening service
The state government has cut off funding for a Perth Aboriginal children's ear clinic, despite its rating of 'outstanding' in an independent ...

The capex data has a services blind spot
The latest investment figures overstate the importance of the mining industry and exclude several services sectors that account for half of all ...

Soaring consultant costs cancel out public service salary savings
EXCLUSIVE: The money federal government departments are saving through job cuts is being cancelled out by a massive increase in expenditure on ...

Survivors of Paris terror attacks attend memorial service
PARIS ended a period of mourning for the victims of last fortnight’s terror attacks with a solemn memorial service attended by 1000 survivors ...

Malcolm Turnbull calls a ceasefire in the war on the public service
Malcolm Turnbull is already taking a very different approach than Tony Abbott to the public service.

Amazon shows off prototype drone for future delivery service in new video
... was released on Sunday (and features Top Gear ’s Jeremy Clarkson). The video offers an updated look at what the company’s drone delivery service ...

Volvo launches in-car package delivery service in Gothenburg
Filed under: Volvo , Europe , Technology This Christmas, Santa's reindeer will deliver presents to Volvo owners in Gothenburg, Sweden, as part ...

One-day sale: Get an extra 15% off all VPN services
If you want your private information to stay private and away from the prying eyes of snoops and hackers, getting online with a VPN service is ...