Persisting Authentication using Webservices with Forms Authentication

Hi all!

I've written a webservice that accepts credentials from various webapplications and validates this against the Active Directory (LDAP). For this webservice, I've implemented Forms authentication using this article: http://www.dotnetbips.com/articles/dbd724e9-78f0-4a05-adfb-190d151103b2.aspx.
An user access the webapplication and fills out his username and password. These are sent to the Webservice which responds with true or false. Only when a user is authenticated, other webmethods can be used.

My question is: Can I persist the cookie on the client using this technique? So that when a visits the website next business day, he doesn't need to log in again (remember me function) and access webmethods with his saved authentication ticket?

Also I just discovered the AuthenticationService. Authentication using ASP.NET Ajax. Can I use this in combination with an external Webservice? Located on e.g.: https://services.contosso.org/myservices.asmx

Many thanks in advance!

0
Tweek82
7/25/2008 8:50:11 AM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

How to authenticate against the ADAM by using Forms authentication and Visual C# .NET
How to authenticate against the Active Directory by using Forms authentication and Visual C# .NET http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q316748 I followed this link for AD but did not work for ADAM. any help for the authenticate against the ADAM by using Forms authentication and Visual C# .NET would be appreciated.   Thanks in advance.    Hi dpatelPA, Please take a look at this tutorial: How To: Use Forms Authentication with Active Directory in ASP.NET 2.0:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998360.aspx   Thanks.Davi...

Authenticate against the Active Directory by Using Forms Authentication and Visual Basic .NET
I am using the code found on microsoft site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326340 And when i run it I get an error: Error authenticating. Error authenticating user. A referral was returned from the server I have changed the code to specify my domain DC=MyDomain,DC=local Has anyone run into this or knows what it means? Thanks Craig Hi Craig, Its giving me the same error. Can you please tell me how u specified ur DC,LDAP etc.. For example:- Dim domainAndUsername As String = domain & "\" & username Dim entry A...

to use a webservice or not to use a webservice?
hi folks, i have a web-based application that connects to a server for processing and then gets back the data from the server asynchonously to display to the user--specifically, the user identifies a product by answering coupla questions and then the program connects to a CAD server to generate models of the product to display to the user. creating the CAD files typically takes little over a minute or so...but i would like to know whether its a good idea to use a web-service to connect to the CAD server and then do the processing or whether remoting is a better way to do this. ...

Authenticate before using webservice?
I have created a webservice and a client web application which uses the webservice. How can i authentiocate users to using the webservice...?? DivyaS: I have created a webservice and a client web application which uses the webservice. How can i authentiocate users to using the webservice...?? You have several options to secure a web service. See this article for an overview... Securing XML Web Services Created Using ASP.NET  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/w67h0dw7.aspx ...and then consider using this method... SOAP headers – Custom - Useful for both se...

Webservices and Form Authentication
I’ve seen lots of questions regarding the security of webservices but haven’t find an answer, what I would like to do is to use form authentication to secure my webservice calls, is there away I can send the authentication cookie to the webmethod and then use the authentication api to check for a valid call(from a valid user)?If this post helped you please remember to set it as Answer so it can help others. You don't have to send anything in.  If the web service is part of your application, it will understand forms authentication just like any page would.Erik PorterChannel 9 Dev T...

Using forms authentication
HiI am writing an internet application that requires forms authentication to login remote usersI also want to connect to sql server using windows authenticationThe question is can Ido this?I thought if I allow IIS anonymous access, create an actual windows account to use for the anonymous access then in web.config, set impersonate = true and authentication mode = formsWill this work Many thanks Windows authentication is not delegatable unless you set up your configuration to use Kerberos.Setting up the anonymous account as a domain account with access to the database and impersonating this...

Using forms authentication but connect to sql server using windows authentication
HiI want to use forms authentication to login to my internet application, but I want to connect to sql server 2000 using windows authentication ( via impersonation of a single windows domain account ) ( Windows 2000 server )Both web server and sql server are running on different machinesCan you tell me the configurations I need to do to allow thisThanks timoth by default the ASP.Net will try to connect with your SQl Server using ASP.Net Services Account. If you are not using a Domain Account for ASp.Net service then you can use Mirrored account i.e. create a local account with same name an...

How to use both Windows Authentication and Forms Authentication
I've been reading for days on the net various articles that claim various ways to mix both windows and forms security; but none of them are totally concrete; or they do not work when I try them. I would like my app to use Windows Authentication; but if the user is not authenticated through Windows, then I would like my app to prompt for a logon and pwd and authenticate that logon and pwd against a custom database.  However, I believe that if I take any of the following approaches, they will all fail.  Am I correct?  1) If I use "Windows Authentication", then I can't make thi...

Using both Windows Authentication AND Forms Authentication, how?
I am able to use either Forms Authentication OR Windows Authentication but cannot manage to find a solution to using them both. Basically I want to figure out how to set Admin roles for specific users. I would still use windows authentication for them and everyone else in general. But the Admin users (after having passed Windows authentication) have the option of loging into the site via the form in order to Edit their pages. This prevents users from logging onto their system, getting passed Windows Authentication and editing content. This will also allow them to experience the visit a...

using Forms Authentication and Windows Authentication together
I want to authenticate users through a form, but assign rights etc using Windows Authentication. At the moment I am authenticating users through a form using advapi32.dll but once the user has entered their username and password(and verified by forms/windows authentication) I want to allow a user to access areas of a website that have been restricted by windows authentication, hence not prompting them for a username password with the standard pop-up box. Is it possible for ASP.NET to tell IIS6.0 that "Jo Bloggs" has already authenticated, and here is his username - Bloggsj ? ...

Forms authentication using sql server authentication
Hi,  I am working on forms authentication (for admins) who are having sql server 2000 authentication. It means admin enter sql server username and password, i need to check sql authentication, if it is valid i need to give form authentication. Sql server authentication is new for me. But I know how to do  form authentication.  Anybody can help on this?Komakulas  Hi,A good place to learn Forms authentication is 15seconds websitehttp://www.15seconds.com/issue/020220.htm Regards ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest) Hi tried but no use.Komakulas Hi ,  I nee...

Mixed Authentication using Forms and Windows Authentication
This sample shows one solution for allowing local LAN users access to a web application using Windows Authentication while allowing Remote users to authenticate using Forms Authentication. The determination of whether a user is local LAN or remote is based on the client's IP address. See it hereRyan DunnWeblog The BookLDAP Programming Help Do you happen to have this example in VB.NET?...

using forms authentication & windows authentication
I have a small problem and I cant seem to resolve it using the built in .net securiyt. I have a intranet application that I want to use forms authentication on. The issue is I want to use the windows login name to compare to a database table i created. If i use windows authentication I can then reposnse.write out the user.identity.name. This will be the nt login id. Then I want to take that login id and compare it to my sql db table to see if the user exists. I want to use forms authentication for this part since it would work perfectly in regards to protecting individual pages. ...

Active Directory Authentication using Forms Authentication
using System.DirectoryServices; using Microsoft.ApplicationBlocks.ExceptionManagement; .... // Active Directory Authetication // paths: LDAP://<yourcompany.com> or WinNT://<computername> public static bool AdAuthenticate(string username, string password,string path) { bool isAuthenticated = false; DirectoryEntry userEntry = new DirectoryEntry(path,username,password); try { DirectorySearcher dirSearcher = new DirectorySearcher(userEntry); dirSearcher.Filter = "(SAMAccount=" + username + &quo...

Web resources about - Persisting Authentication using Webservices with Forms Authentication - asp.net.networking-webservices

Authentication - Facebook-Entwickler
Please note: On October 3, 2012, the offline_access permission will be removed. If you are building...

Facebook Adds Two Factor Authentication for Login and Redesigns Family Safety Center
... announced the release of several new tools to help users stay safe while using the site. Soon, users will be able to enable two factor authentication ...

YouTube - How To Hack Twitter's New Two Factor Authentication
Veröffentlicht am 23.05.2013 Connect! http://toopher.com http://facebook.com/toopherinc http://twitter.com/toopher CEO Josh Alexander wants ...

Two-factor authentication - cyber security -
Two recent hacking cases highlight how personal emails can impact overall business security through tiny weaknesses.

Two-factor authentication: double or nothing
An extra layer of security keeps hackers at bay.