'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service

Hi there,

I'm using a hovermenuextender attached to a templatefield of a gridview, and everything seemed to work fine.. however I've moved on to add dynamic attributes to the hovermenu. Now I get the error "web service call failed: 500" in place of the output I want (on the hovermenu's panel).

When accessing the web service I created (directly through the browser) everything works fine..

here's my hovermenuextender dynamic attributes

DynamicContextKey='<%=eval("refnumber") %>'

DynamicServiceMethod="GetSearchDetails"

DynamicServicePath="Services.asmx"

DynamicControlID="lbdynamiccontent"

I've done a bit more fiddling.. so this extra info may be useful.. it may not (I've only just started playing with this).. using firebug, I can see the response to the post to the webservice fails with "Invalid web service call, missing value for parameter:".. I tried swapping my service for the helloworld one, and that works fine! Why is my parameter not being sent? I was thinking the parameter is the dynamiccontextkey - is that correct?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I also saw error 12030 instead of 500 crop up, but that seems to have gone (!!!)

cheers, Chris

0
roxie
6/5/2007 2:42:13 PM
asp.net.networking-webservices 2181 articles. 0 followers. Follow

I fail to reproduce the issue. Can you show me more of your codes?

Sincerely,
Jin-Yu Yin
Microsoft Online Community Support
0
Jin
6/11/2007 9:45:14 AM

i think you are using the DynamicPopulate instead of Hovermenu. In that case i think you should check its documentation http://ajax.asp.net/ajaxtoolkit/DynamicPopulate/DynamicPopulate.aspx. Basically i think you are having passing the contextKey in the WebService, can you pls check if the db field is not null or it contains some value.

Long Live .NET
Kazi Manzur Rashid (Amit)
_________________________
Web: http //dotnetshoutout.com
Blog: http://weblogs.asp.net/rashid
Twitter: http://twitter.com/manzurrashid
0
KaziManzurRashid

web service call failed: 500 using ajax hovermenu and web service with ascx file
I am using a hovermenu extender on an image button. The hovemenu extender calls a web service and returns back information that I write to the panel that displays. A portion of the code is below. This works when the Page is an aspx page but when I move it to an ascx page I get web service call failed. I do have the ascx page in a folder called controls/pages off of the root but both the default.aspx page and the bedinfo.asmx page are on the root. I don't think I have a path problem. I can include more complete code, there are actually 50 images with 50 hovermenu extenders and one p...

Problem calling Web Service using the DynamicPopulate Extender
Hi, I'm quite new to ASP.Net AJAX so please forgive my ignorance.  I have downloaded and installed the RC1 version and am following through some of the tutorial videos.  I am having a problem with the Dynamic Populate Extender example.  I have created some asp controls with onclick events calling a javascript function.  From there I am attempting to use a dynamic populate extender control to call a web service - it's a function declared on that ASPX page as the tutorial explains in necessary and decorated with the System.Web.Services.WebMEthod AND System.Web.Script.Serv...

Should I use 'using' for every web service call on my client app?
Is the following code of any benefit, when calling a web service OR can it actually add to the overhead: using (localhost.Service sv =  new localhost.Service()) {  //Call the web method  }sun21170...

DynamicPopulateExtender: Web Service call failed: 12152, Web Service call failed: 12031
Hi, I'm using a DynamicPopulateExtender to take the value of a SELECT dropdown and pass it to an onpage web service (defined with <System.Web.Services.WebMethod()> _ '<System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptMethod()>) and as PUBLIC SHARED FUNCTION myfunction(contextKey as string) as string. The function returns the html for a listbox. Everything seems to fire properly on the client but when the web service is called by the Javascript function, I get Web Service call failed: 12152 or Web Service call failed: 12031 Any pointers would be appreciated.  Do...

AJAX Web Services: The server method '....' failed.
 I have a Web Application that uses ASP.NET AJAX Web Services to asynchroniously call a Web Service to update a Database (amongst other things).  My Application will call the Web Service at various points while the user is at a specific page (for example, whenever they press a Button to save changes).  Every time it works perfectly fine.  However, if I visit the page with FireFox (Version 3) and press the "Next Page" Button which causes a Postback to direct the user to the next page the Web Service will always display the error message below.  The Web Service itself however is in fact working given that I can see the data being updated in the Database.  Nevertheless FireFox still calls the "Failed" function. Any idea why this might be the case?  The code below should help provide some insight as to whats going on. Thanks.Error Code:The server method 'setData' failed.Status Code: 0Timed Out: falseJavaScript Functions:function saveData(){// Note that "proxyObject" is specified earlier.  It is a JavaScript Array / .NET Collection of type "CustomData".        WebServiceObject.setData(proxyObject.lstData, successSet, failedSet);}function failedSet(error){    alert("Stack Trace: " + error.get_stackTrace() + "  -  Error: " + error.get_message() + "  -  Status Code: " + error.get_statusCode()...

'System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException' occurred in system.web.services.dll
HI, I am trying to call a webservice that is running at another server and the webservice accesses data from the database on the same server. I have checked the database permissions and stuff, but I am getting this error.. I am not sure why the user name is displayed as 'null' ???? An unhandled exception of type 'System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException' occurred in system.web.services.dll Additional information: Server was unable to process request. --> Login failed for user '(null)'. Reason: Not associated with a trusted SQL Server connection. You're accesing a SQL Server on a remote machine, and you configured the connection to use Integrated Security. In that case, you'll be connecting with the user your ASP.NET application runs under, which by default is a local machine account. Hence, it won't have network credentials to login to SQL Server.Tomas Restrepo [MVP]tomasr@mvps.org...

[Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()]
Hi I'm trying to use the [Microsoft.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()]  in my web service, but when I compile I receive the following error message: Error 1 The type or namespace name 'Web' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?) Any suggestions how to fix this problem? Thanks in advance! RegardsEdward Hi, the correct namespace is System.Web.Script.Services.Alessandro Gallo | Blog | My book: ASP.NET AJAX In Action If like me and you watched Joe Stagners terrific video "How Do I: Make Client-Side Network Callbac...

Ajax call web services failed after convert web site into web project
Hi Guys I have one web site application and use ajax call web services. it is working very well. 1. Master page set up scriptmanager with webservices path. 2. Web service inside web site application under app_code named ajaxwebservice.cs 3. Javascript call ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); But after I convert web site into web application project, the ret=ajaxwebservice.method(id, oncomplete(),ontimeout(),onerror()); failed, the ajaxwebservice in undifined error. I use the same web.config, master page, I put my ajaxwebservice.asmx and ajaxwebservice.asmx.cs at root level. The javascript call still can't find my web service, any one has idea? Thanks in advanceDon't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post(s) that helped you. Your first site was probably based on an Ajax-enabled Web Site Template, and your web application is probably not Ajax-enabled.  You'll have to make sure that the new web.config has all of the necessary entries to support AJAX.When you ask a question, remember to click "mark as answered" when you get a reply which answers your question.My latest ASP.NET AJAX blog entries....

Can't 'Add Web Reference' of Java AXIS Web Service!
Hi All, I'm trying to consume a web service written in AXIS, but am having serious issues. Namely, when I try to add it as web reference, I get to a web page that displays: "MyWebServiceName, Hi there, this is an AXIS service!, Perhaps there will be a form for invoking the service here... "  I do have wsdl file of the web service, however when I try to manually create the proxy I get several binding errors and the process fails. Also, the web service does not seem to accept POST as I always seem to be getting http 500 errors. At this point I have no idea what else to t...

Calling a web service by using a client certificate for authentication
Hi, I am trying to call a web service to send a 'Ping request' using x509 certificate installed in my local machine. I am adding security credentails like Username and Password  and also sending the x509 certificate to the soap request. This is done using WSE 2.0. I think I am doing it the right way as I dont see any problem in the code. But, I keep getting this response 'Authentication Failure'. I tried writing the contents of the soap request to a log file and looks like the soap header is not getting added to the soap message at all. Please see ...

pb9 client don't call AMAZON web service,keyword do'not use!
I develop a web client to visit amazon web service v3,but it is error report ,I find typens__authorrequest.ws_type is defined error.I change it to typens__authorrequest.type,but complie error.ow! type is a keyword,how i to do? ...

Calling a web service by using a client certificate for authentication
Hi, I am trying to call a web service to send a 'Ping request' using x509 certificate installed in my local machine. I am adding security credentails like Username and Password  and also sending the x509 certificate to the soap request. This is done using WSE 2.0. I think I am doing it the right way as I dont see any problem in the code. But, I keep getting this response 'Authentication Failure'. I tried writing the contents of the soap request to a log file and looks like the soap header is not getting added to the soap message at all. Please see the below code and let me know if I am doing anything wrong. Thanks a lot in advance for any help.public ActionResponse SubmitPingReq() {// Create an instance of web service proxyCBSVServicesWse serviceProxy = new CBSVServicesWse(); addCredentials(serviceProxy);   ActionResponse PingResp = serviceProxy.ping();return PingResp; }private void addCredentials(CBSVServicesWse serviceProxy) {UsernameToken userToken = null; //Add the security credentials to the soap message - create an instance of UsernameToken class.userToken = new UsernameToken(CBSV_UserID,CBSV_PASSWORD,PasswordOption.SendHashed);   // Add the SecurityToken to the WS-Security SOAP header serviceProxy.RequestSoapContext.Security.Tokens.Add(userToken);// Sign the SOAP message using the UsernameToken.serviceProxy.RequestSoapContext.Security.Elements.Add(new MessageSignature(userToken));   /...

Cannot call a web service from java script using ajax in .net 3.5 web applications
As like 2005 .net websites i tried to consume a web service from client side java script  using Ajax script manager in  .net 3.5 (2008) version web application it was not working, Event it works with 3.5 web sites, What i have to do to solve the issue. Thanks in advance Hi, can you create the least amount of code to reproduce it and post it? This gives us the ability to check out your code and better guide you. Also please check out this article: Create a Simple WCF Web Service and Use In JavaScript With Visual Studio 2008 and .Net 3.5.  Grz, Kris.Read my blog. Handy Fire...

How do I merge web services' app.config with web app's web.config? Help!!
I have a web application project that uses a separate class library containing web service references (service layer). I want to be able to configure the web reference URLs dynamically and I know you can set this up by setting the URL behavior to  'Dynamic', etc, etc. The problem is VS2005 puts the URLs in the project's app.config file. When the class library becomes a DLL component, I have no way of accessing the app.config file.Is there a way to make the web reference project to look for the URLs in the web.config instead of its app.config? Or is there a way to merge this app.config w...

Compiler Error Message: BC2017: could not find library 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll'
  Server Error in '/Bradford' Application. Compilation Error Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: BC2017: could not find library 'C:\WINDOWS\assembly\GAC_MSIL\System.Web.Services\2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a\System.Web.Services.dll'Source Error:[No relevant source lines]Source File: vbc : Command line    Line: 0 Show Detailed Compiler Output:c:\windows\system32\inetsrv> "C:\WI...

Web method call fails when authorization is required
Hello everybody, I try to call a web-service method before authorization (when latter is required) on my login page. But when I call it through a proxy, like this -  MyNamespace.WebService.Login("name", "passw", false, OnComplete, OnTimeOut, OnError); I get runtime error on this line - 'MyNamespace' is undefined. And when I call it using WebServiceProxy.invoke(), like this -   Sys.Net.WebServiceProxy.invoke("/WebService.asmx", "Login", false, {"userName":strUserName, &...

Troubleshoot Web Service; Ajax AutoComplete events do not appear to not fire; Ajax web service appears to not work. .NET
Folks, I had the situation that Ajax AutoComplete events in the web service did not fire after I copied a project out of a folder, renamed it and moved it to a server. The fix was hard to find but easy to solve. I had some web service modules in an ASMX file that provided AutoComplete entries -- i.e., after the user keys in 2 or 3 characters, the list of possible entries with those leading characters is displayed for the user to select. To solve the problem, look at the web service's directive, not the code-behind or the ASMX designer.  Do a right-mouse-click on the web service, in my case named AutoComplete.asmx, and open with Notepad if nothing else. It showed: <%@ WebService Language="vb" CodeBehind="AutoComplete.asmx.vb" Class="FORMERPROJECTNAME.AutoComplete" %> I changed 'FORMERPROJECTNAME' to 'CURRENTPROJECTNAME', and it once again worked like a champ. Hi, Thank you for your post! As we all know, the namespace name for a project is the project name by default.so.... Thanks again for sharing your solution.  Best Regards,Sincerely,Jin-Yu YinMicrosoft Online Community Support Thanks so much!  I'm embarrassed to admit that I spent 3 hours trying (unsuccessfully) to debug this on my project.  You hit the nail on the head.  I had also copied a working AutoComplete from another project, and apparently messed up when I renamed it.  The error is ...

It's all very fuzzy now...can make web request(?) but definately can't get web response from web service
Alas...trying to get a web service response from a web service that is part of the web site in Visual Studio.Net 3.5 appears to be impossible.  Infact, I've been ALL over the internet over the past couple of days looking at all types of fragmentory examples in all types of Microsoft languages to no avail. =========QUESTION:=========1.  How do I call a web service (the function to call is "WebService_BulkData") so that my aspx page will send it a SOAP request and print out the web service response data to the page?  The aspx page AND the web service are part of t...

I need to disable the browsers back button because I'm using WFC AJAX web services calls and my entire app is 1 aspx page.
I'm building a shopping cart site that basically has a login page that directs you to a single catalog page that makes client web services calls.  To the end user, it appears as multiple pages, but I'm only hidding and displaying 5 divs catalog, cart, checkout and so on.  If the users hit's the browsers back button, it takes them to the login page, but they may only be trying to navigate back to the div they where currently viewing. I feel like this is going to become more of a problem with the new AJAX stuff coming out, has anyone else run into this or have ...

'ScriptServiceAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.Script.Services'
I am using the AJAX Toolkit AutoCompleteExtender and it works great on my Dev machine but posted live I get the following error:  'ScriptServiceAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Web.Script.Services' - Line 11 is the culprit apparently.1 Line 9: <WebServiceBinding(ConformsTo:=WsiProfiles.BasicProfile1_1)> _ 2 Line 10: <Global.Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.DesignerGenerated()> _ 3 Line 11: <System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptService()> _ 4 Line 12: Public Class SearchSuggest 5 Line 13: Inherits System.Web.Se...

Using AJAX and web services? Doesn't this defeat the whole purpose of AJAX?
Is it a better architecture to call a web service that performs the AJAX functionality? In a way doesn't this kind of defeat the wholepurpose of AJAX, is to use web services for AJAX. If it should be used, then under what conditions should it be used? Fundamentally, calling a web service from the client side is exactly the purpose of most AJAX techniques.It can be very useful, when you have operations to perform that don't require data in or interaction with the ViewState of the page.Encosia - ASP.NET, AJAX, and more.Latest article: Using complex types to make calling services le...

Problem in web service's web method's parameters.
Hello All,I am tring to consume a Java web service in ASP.NET(c#) application.In the web service, the web method 'checklogin' accepts 2 string parameters only, with return type a boolean variable. But, when I use that method in my ASP.NET application it shows me 4 parameters in the definition namely 2 string parameters(which should be there) and extra 2  boolean type OUT parameters. Out of these 2 extra OUT parameters, in the 1st parameter I get the return variable of the web method which I called/used and in the 2nd parameter, its showing nothing (means its showing default...

Web resources about - 'web service call failed: 500' using ajax hovermenu and web service - asp.net.networking-webservices

top scoring links : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

DropDown Sample
Samples HOME Accordion AjaxFileUpload AlwaysVisibleControl Animation AreaChart AsyncFileUpload AutoComplete BalloonPopup BarChart BubbleChart ...

rising submissions : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

promoted links : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

Everything Android related. Anything at all!
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

newest submissions : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

most controversial links : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

gilded : AndroidAnything
... about getting in trouble for posting anything pirated/piracy related? Feel free to, like we said, post anything! More info at the bottom hovermenu. ...

Ajax Control Toolkit Tutorials - ASP.NET Ajax Library
ASP.NET Home Get Started Learn WEB APPLICATIONS Web Forms MVC Web Pages/Razor Mobile Single Page Apps Common ASP.NET Features WEB SERVICES / ...

AreaChart Sample