New to Master Pages, unsure about what to set as Start Page

This is my first experience with Master Pages and I must say that I really like the concept of it.  I have run into one small problem though, and I'm not sure if I am just going about it all wrong conceptually, or just missing something.

 So far, I have a .Master page, it has a few <div> tags and 2 contentPlaceHolders.  One is a header cph and the other is a body cph.  I have two Web Content Forms that are associated with the Master page, one is a header form and the other is a body form.  The cph tags are matched correctly between the master and children forms.

 My problem is that I'm not sure what to do about a Start Page.  There is no "Set as Start Page" option from the context menu on the .Master form.  I can set either my header or my body form as the start page.  When I set my header as the start page and run the project, the master page loads up fine but only the content that I have placed in the header child form shows up.  When I set my body form as the start page, the master form shows up fine but only the content that I have placed in the body form to show up.

 How do I set a start page to where all of the child forms will show up that are attached to the Master page?

Thanks for any help that can be provided!

0
msufreeman

to see you header and your content you don't need to have two content pages. Just use both contentplaceholders in one content page and set this to default.

If you want to have the same header for all content pages just define it in the masterpage.

Hope this helps

0
Jetro223
7/2/2008 2:42:33 PM

Thanks for the information, everything shows up now.

So basically, you have a master page and a content page and on your content page you have your different content tags that appear wherever their corresponding contentPlaceHolders are set up on the Master Page?

0
msufreeman
7/2/2008 6:28:59 PM

 Correct. You can also set master pages as the master page of another master page if you need to = http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/x2b3ktt7.aspx

0
Jetro223

with a theme set in a child page, setting attributes of a control in the master page don't work
I have noticed that if I dont't use a theme in a child page, the attributes such as bold, font-size, color of a control flow through from the Master Page. For example, if I have a label in a master page that has attributes set, it will show correctly when linking with the child pages if I don't have a theme for the child page, if I do have a them set, it shows standard black text with a default font.  Any help would be very much appreicated.  well, in your theme you might be overwrinting styles, more specially, the stylesheet. And if you're using skind, same is...

Programmatically set a content pages Master page to another Master page which is nested in the original
Hello, I have a set up where I have a main masterpage that I use most of the time but occasionally I need to swtch to another masterpage which is actually nested to the main masterpage. The switch needs to happen between postbacks from one content page to another. The problem I'm having, is that it is giving me an exception that it cannot find the content place holders in in the main master page. I have overriden the OnPreInit event of the content page where I check a session variable to see if I need to load the nested page or the main page. When I try to load the page I am presented ...

HELP..... Master Page Error (The page has controls that require a Master Page, but none is specified.)
Hi, I had almost finished creting my master page to use as a template for all future internal applications.  I had created a template to use in creatign new applications and had sucessfully created a new project based upon the MasterPage template... All was working well when I noticed a small graphic inconsistancy on the MasterPage... I reopened the MasterPage and I got teh above error message... I have looked at the HTML and everything seems to be okay and there including the header lines... <%@ Master Language="VB" CodeFile="MasterPage.master.vb" Inherits=&qu...

Problem Accessing Page Controls in a page that has a master page.
Hi,  I have a problem with accessing the controls of a page that has a masterpage. I am trying to access the Page.Controls from the code behind in the class file but no controls are returned.I can access single controls (ex. txtAddress.Text) but not the whole array of controls (ex. Page.Controls).  The controls structure is..                                 MasterPage  >  PlaceHolder > MyPage.aspx &n...

Value of the control at Master page is not being set from the content page
I am trying to set the value of the control at Master Page from the child page(content page) but the value of the control at master page is not changing.."Hope its your Solution so Mark it as Answer"Ahmad SheikhMicrosoft Valuable Geekhttp://sharpcontents.blogspot.com Here is a good tutorial on doing this from scott. http://www.odetocode.com/Articles/450.aspx here is the part you are looking for I think. Protected Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As Object, _                     &...

Master Page
I am using a master page for a website (Vs 2008) . I am facing two problems - 1. In the Login page, I am hiding the logout hyperlink. After the user logs in successfully , I'm setting the visibility of the logout hyperlink to true. But then, when I navigate to another page, the logout button disappears -  forcing me to redo setting the visibility in every page. 2. I have a similar problem with an Image in the page too. When I change the image in the content page after login, it reverts back to the existing image in the master page ( this I guess is because the master page loads...

Master Page as Start up page
I am unable to set up master page as a start up page. Thanks   A master page is mostly layout information, not a resource for a user to request directly.Scotthttp://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/ thanks...

Paging Paging Paging
I am trying to do paging with my search results and it isnt working very well. Here is what I've tried and I feel I've tried everything, lol, please help me out. Sub DataGrid1_SortCommand(Sender as object, e as DataGridSortCOmmandEventArgs) DataGrid1.DataBind() End Sub Sub Datagrid1_PageIndexChanged(Sender as object, e as DataGridPageChangedEventArgs) Dim ds as dataSet DataGrid1.CurrentPageIndex = e.NewPageIndex if Session("Search") is nothing then 'Session probably has expired, get the datasource from database Datagrid1.DataSource = ...

Using controls from pages, master pages, and user controls
How would I structure my site in this scenario: I'd like to use a dropdownlist all over my site, sometimes in a regular page, sometimes in a master page, and sometimes in a user control.  I wish to bind its events programmatically, so normally I would just put that in the codebehind.  However, I notice a lot of code duplication because I have to declare the control in everywhere, in my base page (which all my pages inherit from), in my base master page (which all my master pages inherit from) and in my base user control (which all my user controls inherit from).How should I be...

Referencing a user control property in a master page to set the current pages title
How can I Reference a user control's property in a master page to set the current pages title?Jeff Wasilauski, MCAD .NET, MCPC# WEB DEVELOPMENT-SQL SERVER DBA"If I have answered your question please mark as answer" You can drag and drop a user control named userControl1 to master page and refer to its property through userControl1.Title to set master page title in Page_Load event handler. Thanks for your reply Jason but perhaps I wasn't completely clear about the functionality I need. I need to set the content page's title in the user control which is...

cannot view controls in mastre page and other pages with master page vwd 2008
I have written web application in visual web developer 2005. when I open this application in V W D 2008 I cannot view controls in master page. when open Masterpage and click on desgin it display images , tree, lables  and etc. then disappeared   same thing happend for pages with master page. why this is happening. in source code some cssclass are underlined says class or css value not defined. Does this the origin of the problem   It is difficult to say without seeing page markup. Can you post page HTML here?Thanks--------------------------------------------------...

Web resources about - New to Master Pages, unsure about what to set as Start Page - asp.net.navigation-controls

Master craftsman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A master craftsman or master tradesman (sometimes called only master or grandmaster , German : Meister ) was a member of a guild . In the European ...

Surfer Mick Fanning loses world title race in emotional battle at Pipe Masters
Australian surfer Mick Fanning has lost his bid for a fourth world title after a courageous and bittersweet battle at the Pipe Masters in Hawaii, ...

Quiet assassin Dale Steyn ready for the duel of the master swingers
South Africa's spearhead is a gentleman off the field, but with a ball in his hand it is very different.

Master the levels to be a word king in Wordy Pop Word Search
... Katy Perry is out with her own celebrity game or Control chaos while Devouring Stars in this strategy game . Wordy Pop Word Search Master ...

Price Drop: VPN Master Pro
VPN Master Pro 1.1 Device: iOS iPhone Category: Productivity Price: Free, Version: 1.1 ( iTunes ) Description: More faster, More smooth, More ...

A top Apple exec explains the genius master plan behind its quiet smash hit
... Fireball's John Gruber , Apple Senior VP of Software Engineering Craig Federighi discusses Apple's grand ambitions for Swift, and the master ...

Carnegie Hall 2016: Opera Singer Joyce DiDonato Master Classes; Mitsuko Uchida Piano Workshop
... instruction? Look no further than the Carnegie Hall 2016 schedule, which offers a rare opportunity to see opera singer Joyce DiDonato's master ...

Secret Tesla Master Plan Coming To Life
... me that the majority of the population, and probably even the majority of EV drivers and enthusiasts, have never heard of Tesla’s “Secret Master ...

Ted Cruz, Debate King: What You Need to Know About This Master Orator
GOP presidential hopeful Ted Cruz has an exemplary professional resume. He started out as a lawyer in the Lone Star State before becoming policy ...

That's a good Minnesota Master Chief
Master Chief traded his signature green for some purple pride at the Minnesota Vikings game this afternoon. There's always the off-chance that ...