How to control the text-size effects on the Master page presentation

I have built a web site using ASP,net 2.0 with a master page and many content pages.
Recently a manager told me that when he changed to a big text size, the Title and subtitle
lines mixed up.   I know we probably can not design a web site to fit all kind of text sizes.

Are there some guidelines to effectively use the % and px on a master page, so that the content
pages, or the navigation bars, or subtitle label will not mix with the Title label?   Below is a
summary of the layout design for my master page. Will appreciate your help in improving the
layout coding.  Basically, there are three tables.  The first tables is the header with 2 labels.
The second table is the navigation bar.  The third table is a side-bar links menu and the content page.

<form>
&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;<br />
            <asp:Image     style="z-index: 100...">
           <asp: Label Font-Size="X-Large" Text="TITLE" width="500px"></asp:Label>
           <asp:Label  width:242px">subtitle</asp:Label>

        <asp:Menu height="175px' width="180px"
                <Items>
           Side Bar links
              </Items>
       <asp:Menu>

     Content Place Holder

0
wonjartran

If you avoid using tables for page layout, you can prevent this kind of problem.  Use CSS positioning and divs instead.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting
9/29/2007 9:01:20 AM

Thanks.

In fact, I have coded inline style sheets inside the tables.  I started with labels and inline styles first.
But found the headline codes of master page mixed with content pages, then I added tables,hope to
confine the headline codes.

Am I missing something with the CSS?   Thanks.

- Jeffrey

0
wonjartran
9/29/2007 5:20:50 PM

Well, tables are for displaying tabular data, not for constraining bits of a page.  Also, table cells don't behave in the same way as block level lements, in that they often expand beyond the width you set them to accommodate their contents.

You have a mixture of dimensions.  For example, you have given a table a width of 100%, then applied fixed widths to the two columns.  If you want a table to fill the width of its container, then you can't constrain the columns, otherwise it behaves unpredictably. The other thing you should bear in mind is that you should avoid applying inline styles.  Use one external style sheet.  That way you don't inadvertently override styles set in the style sheet and spend hours trying to work out what went wrong.

Google CSS layout for loads more information.  It will probably take you to sites such as www.alistapart.com, www.456bereastreet.com, glish.com etc.

Regards Mike
[MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]
My site
0
Mikesdotnetting

Master Control
I find Master Page idea brilliante. But wouldn't it be nice to have an ability to assign master layout for user controls? Does anyone know of something like that? Look into Themes and Skins. Skins are user to set a template for a contol.Themes and SkinsThemes and Skins 2 www.hopeasp.net Hmm Sean, themes and skins will only help with STYLING the components not layout. What I need is something to set the LAYOUT of the user control and use that master layout to place components in. Like in master page but in user controls.Simple example: Master Control fileUsercontrol layout st...

Using controls from pages, master pages, and user controls
How would I structure my site in this scenario: I'd like to use a dropdownlist all over my site, sometimes in a regular page, sometimes in a master page, and sometimes in a user control.  I wish to bind its events programmatically, so normally I would just put that in the codebehind.  However, I notice a lot of code duplication because I have to declare the control in everywhere, in my base page (which all my pages inherit from), in my base master page (which all my master pages inherit from) and in my base user control (which all my user controls inherit from).How should I be...

How to do post back in a dynamically created user control [provided that update panel is in the master page of the page where user control is added] {B/C of FileUpload Control}
I have a register my scriptmanager and place the update panel around contenttempalte for my pages int the master page. Now in one of my pages i am adding some user controls dynamically. In two of my user user controls I have FileUpload control which will not work under partial post back. So I want's full postback for them How could I do that {Provided that i am on the user control,which is inside the page ,and page have the contenttemplat...

Control of the page and the controls on a page
I am building a web app that has some pages that are public and some that are only available based on subscription. Could someone explain the best way (infrastructure wise) how to control whether a server control is visible or enabledand how to control whether a page is viewable or not based on the user and whether or not the user is logged in (or not). If a user is not logged in I would like some controls to be visible but disabled. I also have to control the URL's in case a person learnsthe URL and tries to type it in. My question is more towards how to do this database wise. I am u...

How to reference a master page control in a controller.
 Is it possible to reference a master page control, for example a button, in a controller. I would like to avoid referencing such a control in a view which uses a master page.Thanks in advance, Marko No, it violates the whole concept of the separation of Controller and View. The Controller must request a View to display itself. The View then sorts itself out.  Agree. Its kind of violates the whole point :( Let the controller give the data to the View and let the View sort out its display issues..blog.budigelli.com  If i think better, you're both right,... I wanted to...

Finding a control in the master page from within a control on the "child" page....
I've seen several examples of finding controls, but I'm struggling with this.  I want to turn a panel to visible and set a label's text field from within a control... All the examples that I've seen, including the really good one at MSDN2 shows Master.FindControl.  When I use that, it says Master is not declared.  Is there an easy way to set the panel and the label from within the control? Am I close? '---------- My Master page...abbreviated... <%@ Master Language="VB" CodeFile="Secure_Master.master.vb" Inherits="MasterPage" %><%@ Register TagPrefix="cc" TagName="men...

Need to access a Label Control on the Master Page from a user control attached to a content page
Hello all, I have a master page (say  site.master)  with a status Label in it. I have a content page ( say content.aspx)  that has a user control (say usercontrol.ascx). One of the Button Click Events in the usercontrol.ascx needs to pass on some text onto the status label on the masterpage(LabelStatusMsg) and display it. I have been able to do this directly off a content page (content.aspx) by using the following code (VB)  on the master page <%@ MasterType virtualpath="~/site.master" %> and Dim mpLabel As Label = CType(Master.FindControl("LabelStatusMsg"),...

i have 3 pages student information , i filled two pages ,then go to 3rd page . First Two pages iam having 100 controls.how to store that controls and how to send these controls into 3rd page in ?
i have 3 pages student information , i filled two pages ,then go to 3rd page . First Two pages iam having 100 controls.how to store that controls and how to send these controls into 3rd page in ?  There are a number of ways storing values. Check out: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75x4ha6s.aspxhttp://www.csharphelp.com/archives/archive207.html Thanks,Karan~ Remember To Mark The Post(s) That Helped You As The ANSWER ~ Hi, Welcome to asp.net forums. Now as far as your requirements goes, the first thing that strikes me is that 100 controls are way too many to kee...

How to access master page controls from .ascx controls?
I have a site where a master page is defined with a placeholder control in it. In the content page I have am accessing various ascx controls from within webpanels (each panel loads an associated ascx file). In one of the ascx files, I want to programmatically change the content of the placeholder that I put on the master page. How do you access this? E.g. Master page :- .... <asp:placeholder id="BreadCrumbs" runat="server" /> ..... In my default.aspx page I have :- ..... <asp:contentwebpart id...

How to access a master page control in a user control.
Hi All, I need to access a scriptmanager control placed in a Master page. The scriptmanager is used to RegisterClientScript in the Custom User Control.  The UserControl is placed in a child web page of the Master page. How do I do this? Thanks in advance, Rohan.      There's a ScriptManagerProxy control you can use for this; just drop it onto the user control and you can use that instead....

access controls in user control on a master page
Have a simple question.. I have a dropdown list in a user control within a master page.When I change selection in ddl, I want to access value on the content page.For that, right now I need to refresh the page.. don't know why.. one way around this cud be to declare a public property for UserControl and access it, but I can ONLY see this UserControl in MasterPage... not in a content pageWhile rendering, first content page loads, then MasterPage.. so I can not access changed/current value in the dropdown.. Can someone help?-------------------------------------------------Click on &...

Web resources about - How to control the text-size effects on the Master page presentation - asp.net.navigation-controls

Glamour (presentation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Today, glamour is the impression of attraction or fascination that a particularly luxurious or elegant appearance creates, an impression which ...

authorSTREAM App Brings PowerPoint Presentations To Facebook
PowerPoint presentations aren’t just for conference rooms anymore, as Facebook application authorSTREAM allows users to upload presentations ...

Facebook careers: ecosystem measurement manager, security program manager, presentation designer, more ...
... Other noteworthy jobs include a vertical client partner focused on fast-moving consumer goods, a manager of ecosystem measurement and a presentation ...

Lessonator: Create music slideshow presentations
Lessonator is a tool for creating beautiful music slideshow presentations on your Mac. It works like a mashup between Apple’s Keynote and Garageband, ...

Scripting News: Create a presentation in Fargo.
... move my whole act over there, but in the meantime, here's a pointer to my latest piece. http://dave.smallpict.com/2013/06/28/howToCreateAPresentationInFargo ...

How to Make a Powerful Sales Presentation
... about it? Using the simple C.F.B.I. model will help you do just that.After going through the B-CHUBS Needs How to Make a Powerful Sales Presentation ...

Presentation Skills - Körpersprache for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get Presentation Skills - Körpersprache on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Byron Bay Falls Festival crowds well-behaved, say organisers, with paramedic presentations down 50pc
Organisers of the Falls Festival in Byron Bay joke that the crowd of 16,000 each day is being disappointingly well-behaved.

Chrome Beta v48 adds custom notification buttons, Presentation API support and more
... it some notable changes that will make developers' jobs much easier. New in the Chrome Beta version 48 update is support for the handy Presentation ...

Football Manager 2016 review: Presentation makes perfect
At one point it was all going smoothly. Inspired by Jurgen Klopp, my Liverpool team was playing a high-pressure, high-tempo game that even the ...