MySql Connector .NET and the DbProviderFactory

Hi there...

I have downloaded the MySql Connector .NET form www.mysql.com .

My connectionstring uses the MySql.Data.MySqlClient provider.

When i use the DbProviderFactiry to create connections, readers and so on, it comes up with and error, saying that the provider has not been installed proberly...

What is the proper way?

If i don't use the DbProviderFactiry, and use the MySql Connector .NET like this:

            MySqlDataReader reader = null;

            try
            {
                string strConn = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings[connectionStringName].ConnectionString;
                string strProvider = ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings[connectionStringName].ProviderName;
                MySqlConnection myConn = new MySqlConnection(strConn);

                MySqlCommand cmd = new MySqlCommand(selectStatement, myConn);

                myConn.Open();
                reader = cmd.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection);
            }
            catch (Exception Ex)
            {
                throw new Exception(Ex.Message, Ex);

            }

            return reader;

I get the following error:

Type 'MySql.Data.Types.MySqlConversionException' in assembly 'MySql.Data, Version=1.0.7.30072, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d' is not marked as serializable.

What could be the issue here?

--
MartinHN

dnknormark.net - with C#, AJAX and ASP.NET

↑ Grab this Headline Animator

0
martinhn

I use something like this in my webconfig :

<connectionStrings>
    <add name="conn_Name" connectionString="Your_Connection_String;"
         providerName="MySQL.Data.MySQLClient" />
</connectionStrings>

<system.data>
    <DbProviderFactories>
      <add name="MySQL Data Provider" invariant="MySQL.Data.MySQLClient" type="MySQL.Data.MySQLClient.MySqlClientFactory, ..."/>
    </DbProviderFactories>
</system.data>

---> and place the MySQL driver in the .bin directory.

I get no exception errors.
Hope that helps, if it does maybe, you can help me as I progess through
my understanding of .NET 2.0. I have a prob I'm still stuck on  see:
"Gridview MySQL and Parameters" @ http://forums.asp.net/1214631/ShowPost.aspx
,with no replies.

All Scots are engineers and all engineers are Scots.
David Brin ~ Startide Rising
0
elscotty

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException with MySQL Connector.NET
Hi. I already tried many things and spent already 2 days without any success. Please help or I'll hang myself.I am using MySql.Data.dll  ver. 5.2.5.0 (runtime v2.0.50727) from my project (library). It works great if i use it from WindowsApplication but once i use it same way in WebApplication, it keeps throwing: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referencedException Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced .. AsyncResult ias = socket.BeginConnect(endPoint, null, null);.. (or w...

MySql Connector .NET 2.0 DbProviderFactories
Hi, can anyone post a definitive article on how to set up a MySQL v5.x DbProviderFactory for ASP.NET 2.0? What machine.config/web.config sections are required? Does the MySQL dll need to be in the GAC etc etc? We want to associate it with a SqlDataSource that will provide data to a gridview. Once a factory is created does the VS2005 design view then let you define SqlDataSource settings using this new factory via the wizards? If this isn't possible, what are the alternative methods of talking to MySQL? Cheers. you just need to download mysql connector and reference in yo...

MySQL
Currently have a site coded in PHP but the customer wants to go to .NET. Can I use the existing MySQL DB or am I required to use MSSQL? Thanks, Ken Check out this forum which is specialized for this kind of questions: ASP.NET MySQL forumBart De Smet [MVP] Visit www.msdn.be, www.bartdesmet.net...

Which mySql connector for which .NET version
Hi all,I couldn't find out which connectors target which .net versions. I have tried http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/ but could not see which are meant to target which .NET versions.Thanks for your time.  http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.2.htmlI guess this connector is backward compatible too, like the Oracle's.. So you may not have any issues Kumar Reddi As I understand it, you have the following: 5.2 is intended for VS 2008/.NET 3.5 5.1 is intended for VS 2005/.NET 2.0 as well as the Compact Framework 2.0 5.0 is unclear though it is appare...

MySQL .Net Connector / PermissionState
HiI have written a WindowsControlLibrary that needs to connect to MySQL from an aspx page. I need a way to write the following code with the mysql-connector-net-5.1.3new System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission (PermissionState.Unrestricted).Assert();SqlConnection MSconn = new SqlConnection(MSSQLConn); MSconn.Open();//Do my insert. System.Data.SqlClient.SqlClientPermission.RevertAssert();  The MySql driver does not seem to have the Permissions........ It does have a MyClientFactory  Members which has a CreatePermission method I am just not sure how to work with it.  Any ...

ADO.NET MySql Connector
I am having an issue with parameterized queries. I am using the .NET connector. Dim connStr As String connStr = "server=localhost;user id=root; password=pwd; database=test; pooling=false" Dim conn As New MySqlConnection(connStr) Dim command As New MySqlCommand("INSERT INTO pictures(name,filename) VALUES (@name,@filename)", conn) command.Parameters.Add("@name", txtName.Text) command.Parameters.Add("@filename", txtFilename.Text) conn.Open() command.ExecuteNonQuery() ...

mysql and .net
Hi there, i am new to .net and i am trying to setup a simple form. I am an open source person and what i am asking can be done easily using php and mysql; but i need to know how to do this in .net project asap. i have three forms; form1 submit to the database and redirect to form2 and form2 submit to the database and redirect to form3. i want to grab mysql last inserted id from form1 to form2 while redirecting and pass it via the url. i am able to select from the database, but i don't know how to assign it to a variable; here is what i have so far: str2 = "select last_ins...

mysql connector .net terminate my database
hi recently i have started using mysql connector .net 5.0.5 for my application, when i testing the application at my localhost it's work fine. but when i upload to the server the system have terminate my database after i review my application.below is the error i get Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown.Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.Exception Details: System.Exception: Exception of type 'System.Exception' was thrown....

Net::MySQL
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C30A6E.486AE070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Anyone run into this problem=20 $mysql->query(q{ INSERT INTO dbname (table_name) VALUES ( $var ) }); The problem is, when I assign a value to a $var that value is ignored in = the SQL statement. Ive tried every operator I know to get it to look at = it and accept the value as input into the DB. Ive tried=20 ( '$var' ) ("$var") ("\$var") ([$var]) ({$var}) Any ideas ? Kind regards...

Error using mySQL connector/Net
hello, I had a project i was using Devart.Data.MySQL to connect to my mysql databases, however it was aparently a trial version and has expired.  I want to switch over to use connector/Net so i went to the site downloaded v6.0, installed it, and went to bin folder/add reference, went to the assembly, added mysql.data and i says when i run it: 'MySqlCommand' is not defined. if i click on the error it suggests "import data.mysql.mysqlclient" however if i do that, it then gives the error 'MySqlCommand' is ambiguous in the namespace 'MySql.Data.MySqlClient&...

MySql .NET Connector Parameter Problem
I am trying to insert data into a MySql Database on the local machine. I first recieved the error of "Column 'content_type' cannot be null." I changed the parameter in the SQL from "@content_type" to "?". Now I am getting the error message of "Parameter '?' is not defined." I am adding the parameter to the parameters collection of the MySqlCommand, but apparently it isn't getting added. Here is a portion of the code:strSql="insert into images(content_type) values(?);";sqlCmd=new MySqlCommand(strSql,sqlCnn);sqlCmd.Parameters.Add(new MySqlParameter("@content_type","jpeg"));I searched the forum...

MySql ado.net connector problem
My host doesn't offer SqlServer, so I'm taking a swing at MySql and so far I'm getting a FileNotFoundException in my asp.net app when I try to instantiate a MySqlConnection object. I have added a reference to the dll and including the namespace in my using directive. Here is the stack trace: [FileNotFoundException: The system cannot find the file specified.] [FileNotFoundException: File or assembly name 'MySql.Data, Version=1.0.4.20163, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=c5687fc88969c44d', or one of its dependencies, was not found.]    TheHudsonDrags.Back...

how "register" MySQL .net connector?
Hi there! I'm trying to use the MySQL .net connector to connect to a MySQL database, however, the line: <%@ Import Namespace="MySql.Data.MySqlClient" %> fails: The type or namespace name 'MySql' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) I guess I have to register the MySQL.net connector with the .NET environment in some way, but how do I do that? You dont need to register it simply place it in your application /bin/ directory and it will be automatically compiled at runtime. You can ftp it into your web domain etc th...

Application Trust Level for MySql Connector.net
Hi All I host a site on shared hosting, and the site uses the MySQL connector.net to access a MySQL database on another server.    The problem is the hosting company is telling me that they can't allow full trust on the server, so when an attempt to use the database is made, I get the following error message, so what can I do?  Can I tweak something in the site web.config?   Security Exception Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy.  To grant this application the required permission please co...

Web resources about - MySql Connector .NET and the DbProviderFactory - asp.net.mysql

Using MiniProfiler with SqlDataSource ASP.NET WebForms Control
public class ProfiledSqlDataSource : SqlDataSource{ protected override DbProviderFactory GetDbProviderFactory() { // get the "base" DbProviderFactory ...

Gratuitous Use of Linq
... built-in XML and database providers. These are good things. For flexibility, the database provider uses System.Data.Common and the DbProviderFactory ...