Getting started with mySQL Connector/Net 5.1

i have a vs2005 project which someone else built.

I need to connect to mySQL in this project.

it is currently using the OleDbConnection to mySQL and I cannot make the connection, so I was told by the developer to try the

the mySQL Connector/Net 5.1.  I have read the very encouraging documentation.

 I am in a file called SqlDataProvider.vb

I want to replace Dim objConnection As OleDbConnection
with
Dim objConnection As MySqlConnection

I get the blue squiggly  "MySqlConncection is undefined."

I added this import to the top.

Imports MySql.Data.MySqlClient

this line shows up with a green squiggly stating:  does't contain any public member and cannot be found.  Make sure the namespace or the type is defined and contains at least one public member.  Make sure the imported element doesn't use any alias'

if found this old post
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=134303&SiteID=1
that told me to

"First of all, make sure that you have the connector file MySql.Data.dll in:
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\
Then, MySql.Data.dll must be added as a reference in your project:
(website -> Add Reference -> .NET -> locate the file MySql.Data.dll -> ok)

I did this but it did not help and the .dll are not in my websites bin directory.

I have built the project.

I down to the wire on this project, so your help is greatly appreciated!

this is on my localhost, once I get it working here I will need to get it working on the live server.

Will my ISP need to install the conncetor/Net5.1 on the web server?

thanks

hittem in the head ed.
0
Webmonkeymon

All what you have to do after installing mysql connector is to add the reference for the DLL file found here

C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector Net 1.x.x\bin

You will be able to use the whole assembly after that

Regards

ASP.NET Hosting (HostingFest)
0
smiling4ever
5/3/2008 10:32:20 PM

thanks for your weekend reply!  wow.

I did not mention this is in the DotNetNuke source developement version.

 I am trying to customize a module.  I do not think that should matter   ?

  I tried right clicking on the solution, the website and the bin folder to add the mysql.data.dll as a reference and it never put it in the bin folder.  the screen just blips.  I build and rebuild the solution with no errors and still I do not see a the dll

I did notice it writes a reference to it in the web.config file.

<add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=5.1.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=C5687FC88969C44D"/>
<
add assembly="MySql.Web, Version=5.1.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=C5687FC88969C44D"/>

I added the mysql.web but I think i should delete it.

so I physically copied the dll from the path you gave (except my path said binaries/dotnet2.0)

rebuilt the site and I am still getting the blue squiggly like I mentioned in the beginning post.

under

Dim objConnection As MySqlConnection

the shift alt + f10 lists four other options to connect to  like odbc, sqlclient, sql and idb.

I did manage to add the mySQL server to the Server Explorer sucessfully. That functionality comes with the Net connector.

?

hittem in the head ed.
0
Webmonkeymon

.Net Connector 5.0 Encryption vs .Net Connector 5.1 Encryption
Is there any different between the AES Encryption in .Net Connector 5.0 and .Net Connector 5.1 ?? previously i using .Net Connector 5.0 to build my system. the encryption and descryption work fine. but after i upgrade to .Net Connector 5.1 ( uninstall the .Net 5.0 Connector, Install 5.1, delete the "<add assembly="MySql.Data, Version=5.0.7.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=C5687FC88969C44D"/>" in webconfig, then add the 5.1 MySQL reference to the system) i cant encrypt the data that i previously decrypt when using .Net Connector 5.0. What is the problem that ca...

MySql Connector.NET 5.1 question
some question about MySql Connector.NET 5.1. i currently using MySql Connector.NET 5.0.7. and i doing a project using that connector. i think of install MySql Connector.NET 5.1,coz wan to hav a try on the Membership & Profiles which support by MySql Connector.NET 5.1 if i install MySql Connector.NET 5.1,will it effec my current MySql Connector.NET 5.0.7? or wil it effec my current project? can i change back to MySql Connector.NET 5.0.7 after i install MySql Connector.NET 5.1???C####################################### IMHO, no... i used to have the two connectors in my machine ...

MySQL Connector/NET 5.1.4 VS 2008
I cannot for the life of me get Visual Studio 2008 to play nice with the 5.1.4 MySQL connector. I have checked machine.config and it shows there. I can add a project reference and it shows there. But when I go to Server Explorer and click to add a data connection MySQL is simply not an option. Anyone experience this before?!So far no answers over at the MySQL forum and so I thought maybe folks here would have more knowledge.Any help greatly appreciated.   I have also added the .dll to the BIN folder for the project - still nothing. I am at wits end and considering a reinstall of ...

Can't get MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.2 to work (with Membership)
Hello,Im having problems with using the MySql Connector/Net version 5.2.2 downloaded from http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/net/5.2.htmlAfter installation I have followed the instructions from this blogpost; http://blog.nolanbailey.com/2008/03/08/mysql-aspnet-membership-and-role-provider/194But when I'm done with the last bullet in that list of instructions I turn to the security tab of the Asp.Net Configuration tool, and the following error message appears (text and screenshot below). I also have tried to go on with selecting the MySql Role Provider as well as going on with enter...

Web hosts that support MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5.
Anyone know any?  Check SoftsysHosting.com. They have full level of support of ASP.NET, MySQL w/ MySQL .NET Connector. I have been using them for many of my clients and they have been perfect.HTH,-KilkoRecommended Hosts: Softsys Hosting & DiscountASP Hello, This is very specific requirement for the MySQL Windows Hosting Providers, so maybe it's much better to find affordable VPS ASP.NET Hosting and install MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5 - 6. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException with MySQL Connector.NET
Hi. I already tried many things and spent already 2 days without any success. Please help or I'll hang myself.I am using MySql.Data.dll  ver. 5.2.5.0 (runtime v2.0.50727) from my project (library). It works great if i use it from WindowsApplication but once i use it same way in WebApplication, it keeps throwing: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referencedException Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced .. AsyncResult ias = socket.BeginConnect(endPoint, null, null);.. (or w...

.Net 1.1 to .Net 3.5 XSLT Issue
Hi,I've recently upgraded my 1.1 app to 3.5.The following xslt works fine running against the 1.1 compiled code, but does not work when running against the 3.5 version: <xsl:if test="position() &gt; $recordsPerPage * number($pageNumber) and position() &lt;= number($recordsPerPage * number($pageNumber)+ $recordsPerPage)"> There no exceptions being thrown, but the results are not the same particular around resultsets with 1 or 2 items.Has anyone else had problems with xslt upgrading? Well I haven't worked in XSLT in a bit, but I'm pretty sure that sp...

Connector/NET 5.2.0 MySQL
I have asked in the MySQL forum here and also at the MySQL site itself without answer so I thought I might pitch the same question to this forum:I have installed the Connector/NET 5.2.0 but when I try to add a data connection I get the following error: Package Load Failure Package 'MySQL Connecter Net 5.2.0' has failed to load properly ( GUID = {79A115C9-B133-4891-9E7B-242509DAD272}). Please contact package vendor for assistance. Application restart is recommended, due to possible environment corruption. Would you like to disable loading this package in the future? You may ...

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

Migrating .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0/3.5
We have many of our application running in .NET 1.1, and plannig to migrate all one-by-one, i know there will be a big challenge for this activity, What we are planning is not to migrate all in one shot, After migrating one application we will give for some selective users testing once we feel it is OK, do the next. What is best way of doing this thing? Any links, thrid party tools, since opening this in VWD 2005, it is converting the application but many errors are popuping up. Any reference would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance. Hi, Please follow the steps mentioned in this l...

MySQL
Currently have a site coded in PHP but the customer wants to go to .NET. Can I use the existing MySQL DB or am I required to use MSSQL? Thanks, Ken Check out this forum which is specialized for this kind of questions: ASP.NET MySQL forumBart De Smet [MVP] Visit www.msdn.be, www.bartdesmet.net...

Web resources about - Getting started with mySQL Connector/Net 5.1 - asp.net.mysql

Connector - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Logitech unveils CREATE Keyboard for iPad Pro, available in November w/ Smart Connector support
... that CREATE works seamlessly with all of the unique features of the iPad Pro. For one, CREATE is powered by the iPad Pro via its Smart Connector, ...

iPad Pro contains USB 3.0 controller, hints at ultra-fast Lightning connector
A day after iPad Pro launched on Wednesday, teardowns and reviews of the gigantic tablet reveal Apple quietly included USB controller hardware ...

Beats Pill+ is an elegant Bluetooth speaker with Apple Lightning connector
... mind it, but many accessories, such as mobile keyboards and speakers, charge with micro USB. it would be nice if more things used Apple's connector. ...

Barclays wants to be the 'connector' for bitcoin and is doing a load of experiments with the technology ...
... they’re protecting UK citizens are putting the right regulation around it." Ultimately, White says, Barclays is "seeking to become the connector ...

Orlando-To-Miami Train Moves Forward As Potential Connector Between Central & South Florida
An Orlando-to-Miami train, the potential passenger rail connector between Central Florida and South Florida, has just passed another crucial ...

Fund This: Znaps adds MagSafe-style connector to your phone for $9
... answer to many a MagSafe-lover's prayer. One thing I've long admired about MacBooks: Apple's super-cool, super-logical MagSafe, the power connector ...

Connector maker Sinbon reports mild revenue gains for September
Electronics component supplier Sinbon Electronics has reported revenues of NT$1.085 billion (US$33.43 million) for September, edging up 0.1% ...

A Day In Harlem With TV Personality And People Connector Bevy Smith
Harlem's biggest advocate schools us on the neighborhood's historic greatness. While most who know her would describe Bevy Smith as a woman ...

In India's Disorganized Agricultural Sector, A Connector Of Crops To Markets
With as many seasons and climates as can be found anywhere around the world, India’s soil has the ability to grow just about anything. Yet farmers ...