Database default field values

Hi, how do I create  default values for the different fields within MySQL database when I first create the database? I've got an error message from VS2003 that basically said that the fields need deault values, when I run my code in the browser. Thank you in advance for your help.

0
ProgMaster

Hello my friend,

Try the following command if the table already exists: -

ALTER TABLE MyTable MODIFY MyColumn VARCHAR(250) NOT NULL DEFAULT 'Not specified'

NOT NULL means a value must be given for the field.  If you do not supply one, it will be assigned 'Not specified'.

Kind regards

Scotty

0
ask_Scotty

default values for database fields yes or no????
Building the database I have come across different databases some that add a default value for every field and some that don't. I feel it is a hassle to add a default value, keep track if it is added. I guess with a default value there would be no "NULL" values in the database but one could also make sure in the C# code that all the fields have a value when inputed and on the way out check for nulls. What is the right way???? Pros and cons.........   Newbie Like a table that holds car information.  If you have a field that holds the number of wheels, I would make that a def...

How do I set up a default value for a field in a SQL Server 2005 database.
I am working with a SQL server 2005 database. I have created several new tables. In one of the tables, I need to set up a data field so that it will default to a particular value. For exampe, I need to have a particular data field default to a value of '0'  How can I do this? I would prefer not to do this through Query analyzer. I have been using the interface to SQL server 2005 provided through the Visual Studio IDE. Thanks in advance, Bill   Do you have Management Studio? If not, you can download it from here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/sq...

Insert NULL value into datetime field of Oracle database
 Hi all,I have a form which has a textbox where a date is entered by the user - this field is not compulsory so if it is left blank I want to store it in the table as nothing. However, when I use the code below it enters 01/01/0001 instead of nothing. I have tried various other options Endate.MinValue and EndDate = System.DBNull.Value (this throws an error)Im stumped. Anyone have any ideas as to how I can enter a blank value into a date field in my oracle table? Would prefer to do it before I go near the sql Insert (so in my vb.net code) because thats done using a stored procedure and w...

How can mentain template field default values in a detailsview on clicking cancel button. my problem is that the cancel button clears even the default values in readonly textboxes.
Hi i have a detailsview whose defaultmode is set to insert. In this detailsview insertitem template, i have a textbox which is readonly and its default text is the current system date. Since a detailsview whose defaultmode is insert displays Insert command and cancel command in its command row, when i user makes a mistake and decides to click cancel, all my default values(current date) in the template field is cleared. The problem is that this date textbox is readonly and reqiured. so when my date value is cleared on concel, the user gets stuck becuase they cant type the date ...

Using a Session field as default field value
Hi all, I am brand new to ASP.NET, this is my first post here. I have build a form, with a Formview control, set to Insert item. That page will be used to add record to a database. I have a field called "Listing_Owner" which will store the Authentified user name. I know how to get the User name, but I just don't know how to set the Username as default value for that owner field, which will be hidden. I tried to write code in the Page_Load event, but it does not seems to find my field. Any idea? I hope it is clear, this is all new terms for me. Thanks alot.  New to ASP... loo...

Put a cookie value into the default value of a detailsview field
I've a DetailsView object and I would like to assign a cookie as a default value of one field. I've something like this:         <insertparameters>                <asp:parameter name="idOperator" type="Int32" defaultvalue="???" />                <asp:parameter name="GroupName" type="String" />                <asp:...

Database Default Value vs. Data Window Initial Value
Hi, PB 9. I have a column in the database with a Default value of 0. When I do an InsertRow to a DW, the column is set to NULL instead of the default value. I know that I can set the "Initial Value" in the DW. Is there any way to have PB use the default value from the database without having to do it in each DW where the column exists? Thanks, Chris No, not really. The default values are pretty fixed, and the datawindow painter doesn't query the database to get them when the datawindow is originally created. On 10 Oct 2004 09:40:59 -0700, "Chri...

Drop down list in Form view returns error when value in bound field (data binding
I get the following error when I click edit to edit the details in the web form:'ddlUserRestrictionType' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items.Parameter name: value  I would like it to accept any value which currently exists in the database. Is this easily achievable? With what you've posted, all I can tell is that you are trying to set the SelectedValue of a ddl to a value that does not exist in the list.  It would be helpful if you can post some code and the expected values of this control.~ Timwww.bucketo...

Updating non-nullable field in SQL with default value through dynamic field
Hi, I'm running Server 2008 and the 3.5 sp 1 Dynamic Data. I've got a Dynamic Data application using Entity Framework for its model, and I have a non-nullable datetime field that I don't want to scaffold; I want the database's default value to go in every time. In my partial class in the entity project, I've decorated the field with [Scaffold(false)], and I've also set the field setter to be private. The field does not render out to the page (good), but it still expects a value and breaks when I try to submit the rest of my fields exposed in a DetailsView control. I...

How to attach a MySql database to a MySql database server.
Hi all, I have developed a web application in VS 2005, and it uses MySql 4.1 as database. Now, I have created the database and tables, and there is data in it. How can I copy this same database along with its tables and contents, to another server? Which all files should I copy? Is there any procedure to 'attach' a database? I use MySql  Manager to create databases and tables. Thanks Tomy Hi The best way to make a dump of your existsing MySql database is to use mysqldump utility which comes with any mysql server package. Here is a sample usage: "C:\Program File...

Default Values on Fields
Hi all. No doubt this one has hit the group before, but forgive me. I have a table with 4 columns, 2 of which are defined with default values in the DB (current timestamp for one, current user for another). This program used to run with an ASE DB behind it and it didn't seem to mind that inside the DWs, those "defaulted" columns were marked as updatable. However, now when we've ported to an ASA DB, it gets cranky when the DW tries to "update" those columns on an insert with NULL values. I know we can fix it by removing those 2 columns from the l...

default value of a field
Hi there, I create a table on Informix (ids7.3) and set proper default value for some fields. When I retrieve the data from this table by using datawindow,the default value does not appear... My powerbuilder is version 7.0.2 could anybody tell me how? any message from you will be appreciated.... best regards On Tue, 22 Aug 2000 13:41:13 +0800, "pamela_tw" <pamela_tw@yahoo.com> wrote: >Hi there, > I create a table on Informix (ids7.3) and set proper default value for >some fields. >When I retrieve the data from this table by...

Default field values
Two questions: 1. Where do you set default field values? 2. The one specifically is the longdesc.isprivate to 1. It looked like it could be done in Field.pm ... but the examples were all for bugmail. Thanks Greg JGDolezal wrote: > Two questions: > > 1. Where do you set default field values? > 2. The one specifically is the longdesc.isprivate to 1. If the user has the permission to set private comments, there will be a checkbox available. You can modify the form element to be a hidden one: <input type=hidden name=commentprivacy value=1> if you ...

Default value for Dropdownlist that get's it's value from Database.
Hi, I am using an Object Data Souce to retrieve the value of a Dropdownlist from a table on MS SQL server 2005. I want to make a default value appear on the Dropdownlist intially, should i enter the default value into the database table or is that a better way of doing it? Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. E  No need for database just set sekected value after databingind protected void Page_Load(object sender, EventArgs e) { DataBind(); ListItem defaultItem = new ListItem("Select a Person", "-1"); th...

Web resources about - Database default field values - asp.net.mysql

Dodgy database exposes details of 191 million US voters
... years, there's a high chance that your personal details are now out in the wild. Security researcher Chris Vickery found a misconfigured database ...

3.3 million Hello Kitty fans' details have been exposed in a huge database leak
... week after week, the hacks, breaches and data leaks continue to roll in. The latest victim? Hello Kitty. CSO Online is reporting that a database ...

Under pressure, DNC restores Bernie Sanders campaign's access to their database - Videos - CBS News
A strange twist in the race for the democratic presidential nomination: the campaign of Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders has filed a complaint ...

Database configuration issues expose 191 million voter records
A misconfigured database has led to the disclosure of 191 million voter records. The database, discovered by researcher Chris Vickery, doesn't ...

Database error publishes data of 3 million Hello Kitty fans
Online researcher Chris Vickery uncovered a database this weekend containing the personal information of 3.3 million accounts associated with ...

191 Million US Voter Registration Records Leaked In Mystery Database
A huge database of 191 million US citizens is uncovered. But no one knows who carelessly left it open, whilst the FBI have been contacted.