Changing MySQL connection from .net component to ODBC - is there an easier way?

Hi there, we've completed our project and managed to run everything smoothly locally.

However, when we uploaded all of the files online on our domain, it turns out that the database connection we used from MySQL to ASP.net is NOT SUPPORTED by our host.

We are currently using the .net MySQL Component.

Our host only supports ODBC connection.

We could change all our files and change the lines that uses that .net MySQL component to ODBC, however, that would take so much time that we don't have.

Anyone has any suggestions?

If no one does then I think it's best to register to another host that supports the .net MySQL component,:(.
0
Verscurexant

Can you do a find-replace on the project or solution (Make sure you have backupsSmile)?  If you have the connection string in the web.config file or a centralized place, you will only need to change that once.  Because you are not changing database providers, you won't need to change the SQL queries.  You could do a find-replace for your import/using statements and to rename the database command and connection object types from MySqlCommand/MySqlConnection to OdbcCommand/OdbcConnection (I think those are the class names).  You may also be able to do a find-replace on the SQL paramters depending on how you are currently using them and how they are handled by each provider.

 You would have some manual editing and testing to do, but it would sure beat going through the code line-by-line.  Of course, switching hosts is also an option.

0
Benners_J
4/27/2009 4:12:44 PM
Hey, thanks for the reply!

We're trying to avoid changing the code manually.

So does anyone know any hosts that support MySQL Connector/Net 5.2.5 and ASP.net 3.5?
0
Verscurexant

Problems connecting to MySQL through MyODBC using ODBC.NET
Help ! Another learner... I am trying to connect to mySQL through MyODBC using ODBC.NET and have the following setup on a W2K machine.... 1. mySQL 4.0.15 database up and running (visible in Services). The DB is definitely there (I can see its contents through MySQL CC) 2. I have installed MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver and created a User DSN called myDSN. I can connect to the database via the 'Test Data Source' (at least its telling me that I've connected...) 3. Using WebMatrix, I have the following declarations in place : <%@ Page Language="VB" Debug="true" Com...

Possible to connect the SqlDatasource with MySQL Connector/NET or is a ODBC driver required?
 Hi, I am using the MySQL Connector/NET 5.2.5.0 right now to use all the membersip stuff with my MySQL 5.0 database and it works great. Now I want to test this example http://www.asp.net/learn/videos/video-07.aspx (databinding a gridview to a datasource and enable editing) with my new MySQL-Connection. But when I want to choose a connection for my SqlDataSource there is no connection listed even though I have a connection in my web.config which already works with the membership stuff. This is my connection string: 1 <connectionStrings>2 <add na...

Can't connect to MySQL database using ODBC.NET
I recently downloaded and installed ODBC.NET from Microsoft Download Center site. I can reference the namespace (Microsoft.Data.Odbc) in my project and the code (C#) compiles just fine. However, at runtime, I cannot connect to the database. It keeps complaining about not being able to find the data source. The connection string is: "Driver={MySQL};SERVER=...;DATABASE=...;UID=...;PASSWORD=...;PORT=3306;OPTION=3;STMT=;" If I use MySQL ODBC driver, I have no problem whatsoever. The connection string is almost the same, only Driver={MySQL} is replaced by Driver={MySQL ODBC 3.5...

MySQL
Currently have a site coded in PHP but the customer wants to go to .NET. Can I use the existing MySQL DB or am I required to use MSSQL? Thanks, Ken Check out this forum which is specialized for this kind of questions: ASP.NET MySQL forumBart De Smet [MVP] Visit www.msdn.be, www.bartdesmet.net...

Connecting to MySQL from VS.Net
I can connect to SQL server in VS.Net, but I cannot get to connect to my remote MySQL server. It would be great if I could use the same UI to admin the two server. Anyone know how I can do this ?...

OleDb.Net vs. ODBC.Net Connection to Oracle
I want to connect to an Oracle database, and I understand that I can use either the OleDB.Net data provider or the ODBC.Net data provider for my connection. Does it matter which one I use? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Would appreciate any input. ODBC is slower than OleDb. because ODBC has to talk to OleDbProvider then OleDbProvider will talk to Oracle Db. Instead if you are able to use OleDb straight to DB then it will be faster. If you only have THOSE choices, I would take OleDb over ODBC any day. If you are using Framework 1.1, you have the choice of using th...

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException with MySQL Connector.NET
Hi. I already tried many things and spent already 2 days without any success. Please help or I'll hang myself.I am using MySql.Data.dll  ver. 5.2.5.0 (runtime v2.0.50727) from my project (library). It works great if i use it from WindowsApplication but once i use it same way in WebApplication, it keeps throwing: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referencedException Details: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced .. AsyncResult ias = socket.BeginConnect(endPoint, null, null);.. (or w...

MySql in VS.NET Data Connection?
I am curious if I can setup a MySql database in the Server Explorer DataConnection window, so I can use the elegant design features and the new data source functionality in VS.NET 2005? I have MySql and the connector installed, and I can connect programitically no problem. But I can't seem to find the driver or set it up manually as a Data Connection. Charlie 1、download MySQL Connector Net 1.0.7 and install .msi file. 2、copy "C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Connector Net 1.0.7\bin\.NET 2.0\MySql.Data.dll" to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft.NET\Primary Interop Assemblies" and "your project's fl...

Net::MySQL
------=_NextPart_000_0026_01C30A6E.486AE070 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Anyone run into this problem=20 $mysql->query(q{ INSERT INTO dbname (table_name) VALUES ( $var ) }); The problem is, when I assign a value to a $var that value is ignored in = the SQL statement. Ive tried every operator I know to get it to look at = it and accept the value as input into the DB. Ive tried=20 ( '$var' ) ("$var") ("\$var") ([$var]) ({$var}) Any ideas ? Kind regards...

mysql and .net
Hi there, i am new to .net and i am trying to setup a simple form. I am an open source person and what i am asking can be done easily using php and mysql; but i need to know how to do this in .net project asap. i have three forms; form1 submit to the database and redirect to form2 and form2 submit to the database and redirect to form3. i want to grab mysql last inserted id from form1 to form2 while redirecting and pass it via the url. i am able to select from the database, but i don't know how to assign it to a variable; here is what i have so far: str2 = "select last_ins...

how to connect to a MySql database by ado.net
say suppose my backend is MySql database then how could i connect to MySql database by ado.net.please give me a sample code. Exploring MySQL in the Microsoft .NET Environment I found that quicker with Google than it took you to type out your question. Do yourself a favour and learn to use Google, tri_inn.Alister...

How to kill mysql sleepy connections thru .Net ??
Hello all, i want to kill mysql sleepy connections / threads... thru .net..... how do i do that? help needed............. thanks in advance.Thanks,Krunal Mevada my idea is to use SHOW PROCESSLIST and save it temporarily to one of you table so that you can  play with the values like the "State" field that you want. and then issue a kill.. the syntax is KILL [CONNECTION | QUERY] thread_id.For example we have an resultset after you issue a command SHOW PROCESSLIST like this and you saved it temporarily in a temptable and would look like this:ID User Host DB ...

mysql connector NET, web.config database connection
Hey folks!    So, what's my problem? I just started to use MySQL on one project. Database is 5.0.45-community-nt via TCP/IP. I'm using Connector NET 5.1.4 and .NET Framework 2.0. Ok, so I do get MySQL.Data and all from code behind. But I just want to use it like SQL connection, so from web.config. But when I try to do that, my connection just disappears from the list (say when you are choosing connections for datasource of web control). So obviously something is wrong in my web.config declaration of connection string:  <connectionStrings> <add name=&...

Web resources about - Changing MySQL connection from .net component to ODBC - is there an easier way? - asp.net.mysql

10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks
CNN 10th person arrested in connection with Paris attacks CNN (CNN) Belgian police have arrested a 10th person in connection with last month's ...

Should auld connections be forgot...
This environmental testing company has strict data-retention requirements and they go beyond the data, reports a pilot fish on the scene. "Per ...