Mobile Web Controls vs. Web Controls

I am using VS2003 and I have realized that Mobile Web Controls are very basic and simple.

So I saw in a post the way to use Web Controls inside Mobile Web Forms. Since then, I often use Web Controls instead of Mobile Web Controls.

I put the Web Control inside a Mobile DeviceSpecific and put this DeviceSpecific inside a Mobile Panel.

Why the Mobile Controls are so simple?  Does it happen the same in VS2005 or 2008?

And, is it right to use only Web Controls inside Mobile Web Forms?

Thanks.

0
xesteban
11/29/2007 9:49:28 AM
asp.net.mobile_devices 3052 articles. 0 followers. Follow

xesteban:
Why the Mobile Controls are so simple?

They are simple because they support a great feature called adaptive rendering. What this means is depending on the target mobile device, the control will alter its output to ensure compatibility for formats such as WML, HTML, xHTML, cHTML etc That is why they are so simple as to achieve this it must adopt the least common denominator across all formats.

xesteban:
And, is it right to use only Web Controls inside Mobile Web Forms?

By doing that you are adding the web controls to a device specific filter which I assume is set to HTML. That means your filter and all its control would only be rendered on devices that support HTML, which can be a problem if someone with a WML handset tries to browse the page as they will get a blank screen.

0
jimmy
11/29/2007 8:01:40 PM

thanks.

0
xesteban

Desktop Web Controls vs. Mobile Web Controls
Hi, after having a look at the posts in this forum about mobile issues, i still have some doubts. Hope someone can clarify this to me:VS2005 does not need MMIT (currently known as ASP .NET Mobile Controls) because it´s already included in 2.0 version, right?In VS2005, if i decide to build a web site to be accessible via a desktop browser or a mobile device, the right thing to do is use the asp .net web application template? In this case, the rendering is automatic depending on the device, correct?If i decide to create a web page to be accessible via a device browser, then, for now, i still h...

Web control in web control

Use Web Control In a Web Control
Is this possible?I am working with an aspx page that consists of many different web controls.One of the web controls contains search criteria.  One of the criteria is a date range where I am trying to add a popup calendar --> which is another web controlCan I register the popupcaledar control on the questionaire control?  I have tried, but nothing seems to be registered.Any ideas will GREATLY help.Relax and have some Home Brew!Prosecute the Owner - Don't PERSECUTE the Breed!Breed Specific Legislation targets the WRONG end of the LEASH! Without seeing your code we can'...

web controls and web user control

Why mobile controls
I see a lot of discussion here on the mobile controls for wireless/pdas etc. Most of the modern devices (browsers) on the market today support XHTML/HTML so why continue to go down the mobile controls route? Why not build small footprint pages using regular web form controls? I realize there is a compatability issue with older devices that only support wml but what if campatability with older (>2/3 years) didn't matter? MS even dropped support for mobile forms from VS2008 so my guess is this is their thinking also. Love to know what peoples thoughts are on this and what direction the...

Web User Control to Web User Control...

Single page with multiple user web controls VS Multiple page with specific user web controls
I have a question regarding single page with multiple user web controls vs multiple page with specific user web controls   Option 1: I am of the opinion to have multiple pages with specific user web controls and use an object to store all the information as the user navigates through the application. And finally at the end, read this object and save all the information to the backend database.   Option 2: My respected team member suggests that we have only one page, with all the specific user web controls and not use an object, instead show/hide the user web controls based ...

Reusing custom web control in the same web control
Hello, I'm newbie in web development and of course asp.net. I am actually trying to build my first page and I'd like to know if it is possible to make a custom webcontrol that will contain itself. Let's say I want to draw a folder hierarchy in treeview-like structure. I thought I could make a control that will display a folder and if this folder contains subfolders then for each the control will include itself. Is this even possible? What would you suggest me to do to? Thanks in advance. TomTom Hagen http://thagen.dteam.info If the control can have child controls, then I s...

HTML Controls vs Web Controls
Is there a cut and dry or "best practice" answer for when to use straight HTML, the HTML controls (runat=server), or the web controls? Thanks! You could have a look here: ASP.NET Server Controls Recommendations and here, perhaps: Introduction to ASP.NET Server Controls-- Mike PopeASP.NET User EducationThis posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Thanks!!!...

Html controls vs. Web controls

Web resources about - Mobile Web Controls vs. Web Controls - asp.net.mobile_devices

Stamp duty spiralling out of control: Property Council puts pressure on state leaders
ACT rakes in more than twice as much from property sales than in 2000, Deloitte report finds.

Venezuela's Opposition Wins Control of Legislature - Al Jazeera America
The opposition won at least 99 seats in Venezuela's 167-seat legislature, in a major setback for President Nicolas Maduro

Arizona leaders welcome 'Leave No Child Behind' successor, less federal control
azcentral.com Arizona leaders welcome 'Leave No Child Behind' successor, less federal control azcentral.com The Senate gave final approval ...

Google seems more determined than ever to take control of Android
... to ad money. However, Google grabbed the lion’s share of the smartphone market by giving Android away. That means it lost the ability to control ...

Sugr Cube is a Sweet Spotify Speaker with Touch & Motion Control
... goodies, like Spotify Connect, Pandora, and, eventually, Air Play integration. Sugr also had a little bit of fun with volume and track controls ...

NV's Fiore: 'That 5 Year Old Grandson Of Mine Has Total Trigger Control'
It's very likely you've seen Michele Fiore's family Christmas photo by now, it's been all the rage at Idiocracy viewing parties everywhere. If ...

Obama’s Gun Control Measures Won’t Solve Anything
France’s strict background checks and weapons bans didn’t stop the terrorists from getting the AK-47s and explosive belts.

Shocking Facts About U.S. Gun Control
The Second Amendment has been the subject of debate for centuries now, and you might be surprised to find where that still-unsettled dispute ...

Chinese university finds a way to control cars with your brain
While Google and other automakers were developing autonomous cars, a group of Chinese researchers were working on a way to control vehicles with ...