Trying to understand

Ok, I'm been trying to understand the new ADO.net thing, and it seems pretty simple, as long as your using databound controls.

Unfortunatly, I have a lot of pages that I can just ad a grid view to and make the things look right, so I'm trying to understand how to programatically access ADO.net.

Below is an example of some of the simplest code I need to convert and any help would be aprreciated.

set connectionToDatabase=server.createobject("adodb.connection")

connectionToDatabase.connectiontimeout=60

connectionToDatabase.open "DSN=ServiceCalls"

set rc=server.CreateObject("ADODB.recordset")

sql = "SELECT [tbl-ServiceCall].*, [tbl-ServiceCall].ServiceCallID " & _

"FROM [tbl-ServiceCall] " & _

"WHERE ((([tbl-ServiceCall].ServiceCallID)=" & Request.Form("ServiceID") & "));"

rc.open sql,connectiontodatabase,1,2

rc("ServiceCallMachine")=request.form("dMachineID")

rc("ServiceCallProblem")=request.form("dProblem")

rc("ServiceCallPriority")=request.form("dPriority")

rc.Update

rc.close

set rc = nothing

connectiontodatabase.close

set connectiontodatabase = nothing

0
tfox
10/9/2006 7:07:43 PM
asp.net.migrating-from-asp 901 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The ADO.NET objects are covered in the links below in tutorials 4 and 5 but you can check for others, and in it is good practice to wrap your code in Using blocks that is the second Using statement it calls dispose for you automatically on classes that implement IDisposable.  Hope this helps.

http://www.functionx.com/csharp/adonet/Lesson05.htm

http://www.functionx.com/csharp/adonet/Lesson04.htm

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre
10/9/2006 9:33:13 PM

I'll definetly take a look at the links.

Thanks for the help.

0
tfox

Dot.Net Migration of Powerbuilder and our software migration
Hi everybody, At this point, we are at a crossroad in our software developpement. We work with powerbuilder since 1997 and follow all evolutions of it. And, now, we are preparing to get the road, with sybase, of Dot.Net technology, and, we study which is the better manner to do that. Currently our conclusions distinguish 2 main way : - First, rewrinting our framework and our sofware with datawindow.net technology. Visual Studio 2005 is a very good ans stable IDE, the integration of datawindows.net is really good, but it's a very hard work time for it. - Second, f...

How to migrate code from vb.net to c#.net?
Hi all,If anybody knows information on migration of VB.Net application to C#.net. i.e Any tools available, best practices, methodology for estimation. etc.   RegardsHelen    Hey, Take a look at this topic http://forums.asp.net/t/1100603.aspxMaybe some of these sites can be of help to you.  Arnold you can do it by page by page just copy and paste ur page in the following link http://labs.developerfusion.co.uk/convert/vb-to-csharp.aspx and convert ur vb.net to c# gotcha!!YasserSpica.www.spica.aewww.bncnetwork.netPlease remember to mark as answers i...

Migrate code from vb.net to C#.net
Hello friends, I had created a web site using visual studio 2005. web site was created using the language vb i.e. VB.net. Now as per the clint requirement I have to migrate all the code in C#. So the question is that is there any tool or any inbuild utility in Visual Stuidio so that we can migrate the site from vb.net to C#.net. Or we have to do it mannually i.e. by changing each and every line of code mannually? Kindly suggest me. Thanks & Regards Girish NehteThanks & RegardsGirish NehteIf This post helps you to solve your problem please mark this as an answer. Hi, at the mome...

Migration from .net Version 1.4 to .net 2005
Hello sir, I am a beginner in .net programming, i have a problem pls help me to sort out this the question is given below. A web application developed using c#.net version 1.4 while converting this application into .net 2005, what happens to "project name.DLL" and "projectname.PDB", Is this file not required Thanks in advance alex malayil   Hi Alex, By default with VS 2005 Web Site Projects, a projectname.dll file isn't created when you do a build.  Instead, you should select the Build->Publish Web Site menu option to compile and generate a built solution. Hope this ...

Migration VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005
I want to migrate to framework 2.0.Questions :1) Can i use Vs.Net 2005 and framework 2.0 with Sql Server 2000 ? or must i migrate too 2005 2) I read in some forums there is some problem to migrate vs.net 2003 solutions/project to 2005, It's right ?3) Is it necessery to modify a lot of c# code (deprecate, ...) ?4) Can i work both Vs.Net2003 framework 1.1 ans Vs.net 2005 framework 2.0 on the same development machine ?Thanks. Patrick Ducret Hi, 1) Yes you can. You can use SQL2000 from .NET 2.0 as you did from .NET 1.x. SQL2005 just has some additional features to offer. 2) It can be if...

Migrating from VS.NET 2003 to VS.NET 2008
 We are getting ready to start migrating all our applications from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008. Is anyone aware of any direct conversion issues? Also. a lot of our 1.1 apps use datatables as the datasource can we still do this in 2008? Yes you can.I have done some migration between 1.1 and 2.0 and there were some small issues but in general most of the things worked fine.For example Microsoft has changed the html validator in Visual Studio.also some events works a little different. If you share session cookie between some 1.1 and 2.0 (or) later apps you have to do so...

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Trying to understand...
Someone just hit me over 70 times inside 3 minutes on TCP ports over 63700 from 200.192.240.8. I dropped my connection and picked up a new IP, but is there really anything other than an attempt to invade my box that this kind of activity could be? Just trying to get an education... nospam@myaddress.com wrote: > > Someone just hit me over 70 times inside 3 minutes on TCP ports over > 63700 from 200.192.240.8. I dropped my connection and picked up a new > IP, but is there really anything other than an attempt to invade my box > that this kind of activity could be? J...

Migrate DataGrid .NEt 1.1 to .NEt 2.0
Hi I has just convert my ASP.NET web application from .NET 1.1 to .NEt 2.0 so far there is no problem but my datagrid seems to be acting really weird my datagrid has 3 columns and have paging enabled. When there is one/two row of data. The paging(which shows us the number of page) seems to have a column span of 1)  If i click on the second row of data.... the paging will have the column span of 3 This does not happen if there is more than 2 data   please go to the link for better clarification http://yingleekit.multiply.com/photos/album/1/work#1 http://ying...

trying and trying
Name: otto de koningh Email: ottodotdedotkoninghatskynetdotbe Product: Firefox Release Candidate Summary: trying and trying Comments: what a weird robot !! please refrain from using these horrendous figures i like the motorcycle though shown on the add-ons page i am having trouble because there is an unknown dump on firefox - never encountered this ! your browser is otherwise top of the bill !! from Firefox Setup 1.5.0.3 onwards in May 2006 Firefox has become a true companion ! now with Firefox Setup 3.0 RC1 i have error reports ! how come ? Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (...

To migrate or not to migrate...
I am currently working on a project that is written in PHP...  Very poorly.  I have to do a complete re-write.  I can code in either language, so I am trying to determine if I should convert to .Net or not. Is one really any more scalable than the other?  Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the interpreted code? Is there a list of large, high-volume, commercial web sites (other than MS, of course) that run on .NET? Thanks. J  >Is there a noticeable difference in speed between the compiled code and the inte...

Migration issues from VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005
I have a ASP.Net 1.x web application developed using VS 2003. The language used for this application is VB.Net. When I tried to migrate to VS 2005 I am getting the list of errors and warnings as shown below. I have been trying the migration in a new machine which does not have VS 2003.  List of Error:  1. Expression of type 'String' can never be of type 'System.DBNull'.   List of Warnings: 1. The referenced component 'CDONTS' could not be found.   2. Cannot load type library for reference "CDONTS". Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

How to migrate from .NET V 1.0 to .NET v 2.0
  I have a asp.net applicatin currently running with v1.1.4322, I want to migrate to v2.0.50727 . I have run a "aspnet_regiss.exe -i". But it seems to be not enouft. When i open a page i get a "The 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment' configuration section cannot be created". And what about Visual Studio, I am using Visual Studio 2003. Does i have to change anything to make Visual Studio 2003 compile with version 2. And does i need to change somthing in machine.config ?  Best Regards   To get vs2003 to build the app for .NET 2.0, you need to upgrade to ...

Web resources about - Trying to understand - asp.net.migrating-from-asp

Resonate Social For Facebook Helps Advertisers Understand Users’ Motivations
Why do Facebook users make the decisions they make? Resonate wants to help advertisers find out, so the digital marketing outfit launched Resonate ...

Facebook PMD Gigya releases Consumer Insights to better understand user identities
... allows marketers to easily query Gigya’s Identity Storage database and tie identity information with key performance indicators to understand ...

Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news ...
Get Genius by Rap Genius — Search and understand the meaning of song lyrics, poetry, literature, and news on the App Store. See screenshots and ...

All sizes - Understand Abundance & Breath - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Kate Micucci & Tony Thaxton - "Puppets Understand" - YouTube
Subscribe for more Nerdist Presents: http://nerdi.st/subscribe Written and Performed by KATE MICUCCI & TONY THAXTON Watch Duo: http://youtu.be/Tj5RLliHNMQ ...

Scientists continue search to understand Mers
The Mers coronavirus continues to confound scientists. To better understand the disease and determine where it comes from, a new project set ...

Explainer Video of the Day: Author John Green Helps You Understand Boko Haram
... in the news, but the situation in Nigeria with the Islamist terrorist group Boko Haram often gets overlooked and can be difficult to understand. ...

The Aussie rules love affair and one who can't understand it
Football (the AFL variety) and I have always had a tumultuous relationship. I've never really understood its allure, but it's always been there, ...

14 Accounting Terms Everyone In Small Business Needs To Understand
Like any profession, accounting has what seems to be impenetrable jargon to outsiders. But, also like most professions, the jargon is just shorthand ...

Tony Abbott doesn't understand the China challenge
The Australian government's new attitude towards China's foreign policy underestimates that country's determination to change the geopolitical ...