Web Project converted from 1.1 VS2003 to 2.0 VS2005 - site structure, all browser support?

Hi,  this is a few questions really Indifferent

My site was originally in .Net 1.1 and was converted to 2.0 and then I used the 'convert to web application' option in VS2005 to keep the same model with a single dll.  The site is used by IE, Firefox and Safari.  Also I have kept a browsercaps section in the web.config (BrowserCaps update for modern browsers, http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/) (which I think is maybe just needed in .Net 1.1)  Here's my questions;

1.  My site does not have any .browser files?  Does it need them and can anyone point me at a good reference for getting started using these?

2.  My site is not structured the default way a new VS2005 ASP.NET 2.0 site would be with an app_Data folder, does this matter?

3.  Everything seems to work OK after the convertion, but I have a couple of places where I have a 'back to previous step' button which just uses the simple javascript history.go(-1) but in Firefox after clicking one of these javascript history.go 'back' links none of my asp:Buttons or asp:LinkButtons will work! Its as if the required .net javascript for submitting the page is no longer available? I think there is a .net web resource file which has this javascript in it?  Could that have expired in firefox, is there something simple I can add to my site so that Firefox works the same as IE as this does not happen in IE! (this is maybe/hopefully related to quetion 1)

cheers in advance,

Al

0
alankirk
3/7/2008 4:14:32 AM
asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Al,

alankirk:

Hi,  this is a few questions really

My site was originally in .Net 1.1 and was converted to 2.0 and then I used the 'convert to web application' option in VS2005 to keep the same model with a single dll.  The site is used by IE, Firefox and Safari.  Also I have kept a browsercaps section in the web.config (BrowserCaps update for modern browsers, http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/) (which I think is maybe just needed in .Net 1.1)  Here's my questions;
1.  My site does not have any .browser files?  Does it need them and can anyone point me at a good reference for getting started using these?

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc300549.aspx

Common browsers are already defined in ASP.NET. You don't need .browser file.

alankirk:

2.  My site is not structured the default way a new VS2005 ASP.NET 2.0 site would be with an app_Data folder, does this matter?

You can put data file some where else. However it is recommended putting it into App_Data since it is protected in ASP.NET 2.0 by default.

alankirk:

3.  Everything seems to work OK after the convertion, but I have a couple of places where I have a 'back to previous step' button which just uses the simple javascript history.go(-1) but in Firefox after clicking one of these javascript history.go 'back' links none of my asp:Buttons or asp:LinkButtons will work! Its as if the required .net javascript for submitting the page is no longer available? I think there is a .net web resource file which has this javascript in it?  Could that have expired in firefox, is there something simple I can add to my site so that Firefox works the same as IE as this does not happen in IE! (this is maybe/hopefully related to quetion 1)

cheers in advance,

Al

history.go has different behavior on different browsers. However if you choose HyperLink and Input(Button) control, they can meat your requirement.

        <a id="HyperLink1" onclick="javascript:history.go(-1)">Go Back</a>

        <input name="Button1" type="button" id="Button1" value="Go Back" onclick="javascript:history.go(-1)" />

If you are willing to, you can have custom control to render it according to their BrowserCaps rather then create a new browser file.

Zhao Ji Ma
Sincerely,
Microsoft Online Community Support

“Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
0
Zhao

enigmail-1.0.1 for TB-3.0.x and enigmail-1.1.2 for TB-3.1.x available
Hi, enigmail-1.0.1 (TB-3.0.x) and enigmail-1.1.2 (TB-3.1.x) are available at http://enigmail.mozdev.org. Note for Seamonkey-2.0.x you can download and install enigmail-1.0.1. Have fun, Walter ...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

Converting 1.1 Web Project to a 2.0 Web Application Project, then and now...
Hey all, I hope I can explain this correctly, as I am completely lost as to what was and is going on. About 6-8 months ago, I installed VS2005 Professional on my notebook and got the VS2005 WAP conversion installation, which was a seperate add on at the time. I took a couple small 1.1 applications and as I recall pointed to the .vbproj file and allowed the conversion wizard to do it's thing and then went through the output fixing all the code which was no longer 2.o compliant (ie. Like the SMTP class changes).  Now, on my Desktop I was told to install VS2005 Team System and patc...

after migrating 1.1 to 2.0, project still compiles to 1 single dll, how to convert to "website project"?
Hi, just converted a 1.1 project to 2.0 with VS 2005 SP1. I wanted to convert it to the "website" model so that pages would compile to different dlls versus 1 single dll.  However it converted to 1 single dll. How do i covert it to where it compiles every page separately?  Any tips would be appreciated  Thanks Hi, Here are 2 articles which provide detailed steps for migrating ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0 including using the "website" model. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479567.aspxhttp://www.pointercorp.com/Convert_ASPDOTNET_11_20.htm Hope that h...

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

Enigmail-1.0.1 for OS/2 TB-3.0.x and SM-2.0.x available at enigmail.mozdev.org
I'm glad to announce that after a while, where some smaller quirks had to be ironed out, enigmail-1.0.1 can be downloaded from enigmail.mozdev.org. Thanks to the developers for the upload to their site. Enigmail-1.0.1 works only with Thunderbird-3.0.x and Seamonkey-2.0.x. If you still use TB-2.0.0.x or SM-1.1.x you should stick to enigmail-0.95.7. In case of trouble please post to this list here. Have Fun, Walter ...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Name: R. Bijster Product: Firefox Summary: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 Comments: I want to report that Windowsbrowser V 6.0.2900_SP2, 12 seconds faster started then FireFoxbrowser. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; nl; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2 ...

Updates after 1.5.0.7 (1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1)can't access the web.
Name: Jay Product: Firefox Summary: Updates after 1.5.0.7 (1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1)can't access the web. Comments: see summary Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 ...

Making a .NET 1.1 Web Project .NET 2.0 enabled
We were able to use such things as  below in the InstantASP forum source code.  I'm trying to do the same with Presstopia but it errors out when putting the below in their web.config. <machineKey validationKey="..." decryptionKey="..." validation="SHA1" decryption="3DES" />So what did InstantASP have to do to make their 1.1 code able to use machinekey then if it's not a .NET 2.0 application?  I want to do the same for Presstopia.   I figure there are general things you can do to allow a 1.1 app to make it able to ...

Mozilla 1.7/1.8a2, Thunderbird 0.6/0.7, Firefox 0.9 and Impos/2 2.1
All recent builds (Mozilla 1.7/1.8a2, Thunderbird 0.6/0.7, Firefox 0.9) crash Impos/2 2.1 as soon they are started, or the other way round (Impos/2 started afterwards) 06-22-2004 22:38:55 SYS3175 PID 002d TID 0001 Slot 006e D:\IMPOS21\IMPOS.EXE c0000005 00069d94 P1=00000001 P2=0000000d P3=XXXXXXXX P4=XXXXXXXX EAX=00000001 EBX=1c865dec ECX=1c86866c EDX=00000004 ESI=1c865dec EDI=1c87ef80 DS=0053 DSACC=d0f3 DSLIM=7fffffff ES=0053 ESACC=d0f3 ESLIM=7fffffff FS=150b FSACC=00f3 FSLIM=00000030 GS=2b43 GSACC=10f3 GSLIM=00003fff CS:EIP=005b:00069d94 CSACC=d0df CSL...

Any advantages of migrating to .NET 2.0 on still using .NET 1.1 projects?
Sorry for the noob Q - but will I get any advantages in installing .NET 2.0 Framework alongside .NET 1.1 if I dont plan to upgrade my ASP .NET 1.1 web applications?I have a few servers that I will be installing the .NET 2.0 Framework so as to develop in VS2005, however on some servers that will not (at this stage) be used for .NET 2.0 apps and that I may not have the time to convert some VS2003 applications to VS2005, I was in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of thinking and didn't know if installing .NET 2.0 would bring any advantages.TIA.  I happen to agree. If you don't nee...

Web resources about - Web Project converted from 1.1 VS2003 to 2.0 VS2005 - site structure, all browser support? - asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0

A Converted British Family Sheltering a Christian Missionary from the Persecution of the Druids - Wikipedia ...
A Converted British Family Sheltering a Christian Missionary from the Persecution of the Druids is a painting by William Holman Hunt that was ...

Vitrue Offers Data On Brands That Have Converted To Facebook Timeline
Facebook marketing platform Vitrue shared some data on brands in its client base that have already made the switch to timeline for pages. With ...

Facebook Now Allows Personal Profiles To Be Converted Into Business Pages
For the first time, Facebook now allows personal user profiles to be converted into official business Pages, turning all their friends into fans. ...

epicstep_starter [Converted] - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore figarointhehouse's photos on Flickr. figarointhehouse has uploaded 6 photos to Flickr.

Converted To Islam Sister Julia - Women In Islam are Diamonds! - YouTube
Sister Julia converted to Islam very short time ago and she speaks in this video about women in Islam and specially marriage. -...

Boko Haram says kidnapped schoolgirls have converted and married
Boko Haram has claimed the 219 schoolgirls it kidnapped in Nigeria earlier this year have converted to Islam and been married off.

Crucifix 'raping machine' used to assault kidnap victims on converted bus, court told
A truck driver who abducted and sexually abused three women had built a "raping machine" in a bus he had converted into a home, a court has heard. ...

World's coolest converted hotels
... to stay somewhere a little bit different on your next holiday? Travel website Virtual Tourist has compiled this list of some of the best converted ...

Oprah Winfrey preaches self-help to the converted in stripped-down stage marathon
Oprah Winfrey made her Australian stage debut in Melbourne on Wednesday night with the premiere of a show that stripped her famous talk-show ...

Kevin charming only the converted
THERE is a looming and dangerous prospect for Labor that the "Rudd factor" is either illusory or having an effect in the wrong places or both. ...