Upgrading from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0

Hi,

We write ASP.NET applications for a large UK organisation for which we have two servers - a dev server and a live intranet server.  I would like to convince management to upgrade the .NET framework from 1.1 to 2.0 (and incidently VS2003 to VS2005).

If we install the new version of the dotnet framework, will there be any issues with our existing 1.1 applications?  If so, what will the issues likely to be?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ryan Penfold, Truro, UK.
0
Rype69
1/17/2006 10:56:38 AM
asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Two versions can coexist, so you shouldn't have any issues.
0
jcasp
1/17/2006 8:15:28 PM
So far we have not had any real issues with asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 existing together or being able to upgrade.  The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference.  I wrote a little about how to overcome this in my Blog, http://professionalaspnet.com/blogs/aspnet_blog/archive/2006/01/04/A_little_Debuggin_Tip.aspx.  Other than that, everything has been real nice.
Chris Love
ASP.NET 2.0 Your Visual Blueprint for developing Web Applications
0
docluv
1/18/2006 1:07:24 PM

docluv wrote:

The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference.

Good to know.  But keep in mind that using the "Cassini" web server (stand-alone version) via the File System for web development is only an option when using VS 2005.  You can most definitely continue to build web applications using the IIS, which should take care of the above issue.

0
jcasp

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Migrate DataGrid .NEt 1.1 to .NEt 2.0
Hi I has just convert my ASP.NET web application from .NET 1.1 to .NEt 2.0 so far there is no problem but my datagrid seems to be acting really weird my datagrid has 3 columns and have paging enabled. When there is one/two row of data. The paging(which shows us the number of page) seems to have a column span of 1)  If i click on the second row of data.... the paging will have the column span of 3 This does not happen if there is more than 2 data   please go to the link for better clarification http://yingleekit.multiply.com/photos/album/1/work#1 http://ying...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

Migrating .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0/3.5
We have many of our application running in .NET 1.1, and plannig to migrate all one-by-one, i know there will be a big challenge for this activity, What we are planning is not to migrate all in one shot, After migrating one application we will give for some selective users testing once we feel it is OK, do the next. What is best way of doing this thing? Any links, thrid party tools, since opening this in VWD 2005, it is converting the application but many errors are popuping up. Any reference would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance. Hi, Please follow the steps mentioned in this l...

how to upgrade .net framework1.0 to .net framework 1.1 or 2
how to upgrade .net framework1.0 to .net framework 1.1 or 2? I have already installed the new versions of the framework, but still y .net 2002 is using 1.0 framework. Is there a way out i can upgrade it? Its an urgency! Thanks, shakun  If you're using VS 2002, then you SHOULD be using .net framework 1.0.  .Net 2.0 applies to VS 2005 and I believe 1.1 applies to VS 2003 (maybe 2002 as well, but not sure). Correct. VS 2002 only capable of using 1.0, VS 2003 uses 1.1 and VS 2005 uses 2.0. You can install 2003 and 2005 on the same machine, but neither can coexist with...

What are the advantages of migrating applications written in .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0?
Hello,Can someone tell me the advantages of migrating my current aplication which has been developed in ASP.NET 1.1 to ASP.NET 2.0? I have read and implemented some of the technical advantages that come with ASP.NET 2.0 and .NET 2.0. But how do I convince our customer that we should upgrade the existing application in production for a couple of years now to .NET 2.0... like the performance benefits we gain by doing that? Read that .NET 2.0 is a lot (around 40%) faster than .NET 1.1 and has all those performance enhancing features like the precompilation, enhanced data caching... in addition ...

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

coverting from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi All, Currently I'm facing a problem.I have an application that is built on ..net 1.1 using Vs2003.Its performance is so slow.So i want to add some partial updates to the page.How can I execute this in .net 1.1.In .net 2.0 we can use Ajaxtools, But .net 1.1 does't support ajaxtools.How to solve thgis problem.From where can I start?Please help me I'm struck in the middle.PLease forward me any sample codes You have. Thank you Hi, Why are you using VS2003. Convert your aplication in 2005/8 and use AJAX. Regards, Shahaji UThanks and Regards,Shahaji Udar.MCTS,Pune,IN...

.Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 on the same webserver ?
Hi allCan you run .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 on the same webserver ? Does anybody do this currently and does both DNN 3.1.1 and the new dnn 4.0 work ok on this configuration ?/JohanFirstDev AB Affärssystem.net Yes, and Yes.John M. to elaborate a bit on that: yes, if you are using windows server 2003. You can select the .net version on a per application basis, however, you can only use one .net version per application pool. So just put your .net 2.0 applications in a different poolcheers,erikErik van Ballegoij, The Netherlands You can do it on XP Pro, or Windows 2000 Server also, you ...

.NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 on the same machine
Hi All, I have .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 framework on my machine.  Now, I want to uninstall .NET 1.1 to have more free HD space.  Please tell if I can do it without any trouble for the .NET 2.0? Thank you very much.  Pardon me for a newbie question.  elearner Start > Control Panel > Add remove programs > remove .NET Framework 1.1! Im sure its not taking up that much space tho!? :PDavid Kiffhttp://DavidKiff.co.uk-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you -- Hi, Well I don't think it should cause any problem because of them are installed in seper...

.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 on the same PC
I built my ASP.NET app and built it with .NET 1.1 I installed .Net 2.0 and now it will not function properly. How can I tell my App to use the .NET 1.1? Thanks for any help,Thank youJackxxx What tool are you using to code ASP.NET?Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4). The PC i am referring to is my test PC and it has no tools. But I used VS.net 2003 on my development PC. Thank you,Thank youJackxxx Hi, Unfortunately, you can not run two...

.net 2.0 v. .Net 1.1
Hi all:Im trying to figure out whether I should begin using 2.0 at this point.  Many people I spoke to have indicated that it may be too soon (for whatever reason-bugs, hosting availibility etc).  Can someone give the pros and cons at this point?  I just learned .net 1.1 and this would be the first time I've ever gone throught this sort of transition.  Also, what was frustrating about 1.1 is that some of the books that first came out had alot of problems with their code working.  Is there an authorotative book out yet with functioning examples?Any help would be ...

Any advantages of migrating to .NET 2.0 on still using .NET 1.1 projects?
Sorry for the noob Q - but will I get any advantages in installing .NET 2.0 Framework alongside .NET 1.1 if I dont plan to upgrade my ASP .NET 1.1 web applications?I have a few servers that I will be installing the .NET 2.0 Framework so as to develop in VS2005, however on some servers that will not (at this stage) be used for .NET 2.0 apps and that I may not have the time to convert some VS2003 applications to VS2005, I was in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of thinking and didn't know if installing .NET 2.0 would bring any advantages.TIA.  I happen to agree. If you don't nee...

.net 1.1 to .NET 2.0 migration generates additional .aspx.xx files
 Hi all,when doing the upgrade in VS 2005 two more additional pages get created, aspx.designer.cs and aspx.resx, do I need to keep these files?Thanks  The designer and resx pages are normal - just ignore them.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.  Refer below links regarding migration  http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx http://rextang.net/blogs/work/archive/2006/04/16/3645.aspx P...

How to migrate from .NET V 1.0 to .NET v 2.0
  I have a asp.net applicatin currently running with v1.1.4322, I want to migrate to v2.0.50727 . I have run a "aspnet_regiss.exe -i". But it seems to be not enouft. When i open a page i get a "The 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment' configuration section cannot be created". And what about Visual Studio, I am using Visual Studio 2003. Does i have to change anything to make Visual Studio 2003 compile with version 2. And does i need to change somthing in machine.config ?  Best Regards   To get vs2003 to build the app for .NET 2.0, you need to upgrade to ...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

Using .net 2.0 ws in .net 1.1
Hi,I have a ws written in 2.0 that returns a dataset. I need to use this ws in .net 1.1. Seems like having the ws returning typed datasets causing a problem.I am using c# for the ws. Does anyone have any idea ? Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks, recruit A web service should be indifferent to which version of ASP.NET is producing and which version is consuming. Please post any error messages and the wsdl produced by the 1.1 consumer. Have you loaded WSE 3.0 (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=018a09fd-3a74-43c5-8ec1-8d789091255d&displaylang=en) and mon...

Web resources about - Upgrading from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0 - asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0

Upgrading From Windows 1.0 to Windows 8 On Actual Hardware - YouTube
If you're watching this video, you've probably seen the other videos that prove it is possible to upgrade from Windows 1.0 all the way to Windows ...

Nuclear states still upgrading stocks

Apple users face issues upgrading to iOS 9
Apple customers were facing issues while upgrading to iOS 9, which was released this morning in Australia, technology blog 9to5Mac reported. ...

Upgrading IOIO to Bluetooth - YouTube