Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0 (continued)

Hi,

Dave wrote a previous post that said:

"If you are referring to web applications - each Virtual server must specify the framework to run under.  Both can run side-by-side.. but not under the same virtual server (application pool)"

That looks fine, but I wonder:

  • Is it just as easy as going to Administrative Tools --> IIS --> Select the virtual directory --> go to the property's ASP.NET tab and then selecting the ASP.NET version?
  • Is there some important information that I need to know before going into this? Are there going to be ANY issues I should be aware of?

Thanks a lot

0
carlos
4/5/2006 10:28:25 PM
asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

One thing to be aware of:

if you currently have this structure

MainApp - v 1.1
     SubApp - v 1.1 (marked as a separate application in IIS)

You won't be able to upgrade just the MainApp to 2.0 and still run SubApp as v 1.1

The other way works (MainApp 1.1, SubApp v 2.0)

cs

Curtis Swartzentruber / CLARITY CONSULTING
http://blogs.claritycon.com/blogs/curtis_swartzentruber
Work for us: http://www.claritycon.com/careers/
Personal Blog: http://feeds.feedburner.com/swartzentruber/QFjK
0
skills0

Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0
Hi i am new bie to asp.net 2.0.Till date i have been developing projects using VS.Net 1.1 and now i hv decided to upgrade to new version 2.0.Now i want to run and develop my projects using any of the versions as desired.My question is that can i install vs 2.0 without updating the previous version and will i be able to develop and run my applications in any of the versions as desired.i have been known that we can run these versions side by side(i.e. one application can use 1.1 and other 2.0),but can we do side by side development as well(i.e. one application can use 1.1...

.NET 2.0 side by side with 1.1
My web server is running on Windows 2000, IIS 5.1 and .NET 1.1 .  I need to install SQL 2003 and for that I need .NET 2.0 to be installed.   Can I install the 2.0 framework side by side with 1.1?  If so how do I make sure that my web site contimue using then 1.1 Framework? Thanks Hi, yes you can. Just install Framework (dotnetfx.exe) manually from command-line with /noaspupgrade switch e.g Dotnetfx.exe /c:"install /noaspupgrade" Just note that even if you'd accidentally upgrade the site without this switch, Framework 2.0 installation adds "ASP.N...

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Running .net version 2.0 and 1.1 side by side
Hi there, I read a thread on this forum which suggested that it's possible to intall both versions 2.0 and 1.1 on the same server. Can someone please provide me more information on how this works. for example, how do you tell the application the use Version 1.1. instead of version 2? It seems to me that once you have version 2 installed it takes over version one and you can't go back but I'm sure I'm just inexperienced. One other thing, sometimes I need to compile C# classes to produce libraries (.dll). Right now in my command prompt I have access to the c# compiler for version 2. Surelly,...

Migrate DataGrid .NEt 1.1 to .NEt 2.0
Hi I has just convert my ASP.NET web application from .NET 1.1 to .NEt 2.0 so far there is no problem but my datagrid seems to be acting really weird my datagrid has 3 columns and have paging enabled. When there is one/two row of data. The paging(which shows us the number of page) seems to have a column span of 1)  If i click on the second row of data.... the paging will have the column span of 3 This does not happen if there is more than 2 data   please go to the link for better clarification http://yingleekit.multiply.com/photos/album/1/work#1 http://ying...

How to migrate from .NET V 1.0 to .NET v 2.0
  I have a asp.net applicatin currently running with v1.1.4322, I want to migrate to v2.0.50727 . I have run a "aspnet_regiss.exe -i". But it seems to be not enouft. When i open a page i get a "The 'system.serviceModel/serviceHostingEnvironment' configuration section cannot be created". And what about Visual Studio, I am using Visual Studio 2003. Does i have to change anything to make Visual Studio 2003 compile with version 2. And does i need to change somthing in machine.config ?  Best Regards   To get vs2003 to build the app for .NET 2.0, you need to upgrade to ...

Migrating .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0/3.5
We have many of our application running in .NET 1.1, and plannig to migrate all one-by-one, i know there will be a big challenge for this activity, What we are planning is not to migrate all in one shot, After migrating one application we will give for some selective users testing once we feel it is OK, do the next. What is best way of doing this thing? Any links, thrid party tools, since opening this in VWD 2005, it is converting the application but many errors are popuping up. Any reference would be highly appreciated, thanks in advance. Hi, Please follow the steps mentioned in this l...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

Web resources about - Side by Side Execution of .net v1.1 and .net v2.0 (continued) - asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0