Convert v 1.1 Web application to 2.0 Web site?

Hi -

I migrated the asp.net 1.1 portal start kit to asp.net 2.0 as a web application in VS 2005. This seems to have worked out fine.

Now I would like to be able to work on this project at home on my laptop where I only have Visual Web Developer Express. The problem is that when I build the project in Visual Web Developer Express - I can't figure out how to compile my asp.net 1.1 codebehind files.

As I understand it, a Web site project does not build the site .dll in the bin directory as before. I have not yet updated my files as partial classes - is this all I need to do? Visual Web Developer Express does not appear to have the "convert to web application" option that is supposed to do this automagically. Can someone list the manual steps for this process?  Are there other steps I need to make? For example, do these files need to go in the App_Code directory?

Is there a way I can re-configure the web application as a web site so that I can make changes to codebehind files?

Thanks in advance!

Peter

0
giantsteps
10/1/2006 5:15:46 AM
asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0 1016 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hey,

Even with ASP.NET 2 in VS.NET, it doesn't compile your web site code-behind files into a DLL.  It dynamically compiles them at runtime, unless you use the precompilation method, compiles everything into a DLL.  You can't edit files compiled under this model.

You may want to look at Web Application Project, which for 2.0 applications function like the 1.1 way.

Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
10/2/2006 4:54:35 PM

Thanks Brian. I do have this working as a web application project in VS 05. I was hoping I could find the steps I need to take to convert this project to a Web site type project.

Peter

0
giantsteps
10/2/2006 7:44:24 PM

Hey,

Scott Guthrie has a posting here:  http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx which he references this:  http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms247241.aspx  When you do this, this is the web site project...  so you converted it to web site project, then converted to web application project, and want to convert back?

Sorry, I guess I'm dense today.

Brian

"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4).
0
bmains
10/2/2006 8:33:35 PM

Thanks for the links. I began with the asp.net 1.1 portal starter kit. I wanted to start with this baseline functionality and no asp.net 2.0 currently exists. I then converted this starter kit to a VS 2005 web application project as is recommended. This worked fine.

Now I would like to work on this project on my laptop at home where I only have Visual Web Dev Express. This product does not support the Web application project type that was introduced to support migration of asp.net 1.1 version applications. So it appears that in order to work on this project in Visual Web Dev Express, I will need to convert it to the Web Site project type. It has never been in the Web site project format.

According to your link, Express has a Wizard that does this, but I think I recall having major problems with this and that's why I originally opted to use the Web application project type. Now I've got an incentive so I'll try again.

0
giantsteps

Converting 1.1 Web Project to a 2.0 Web Application Project, then and now...
Hey all, I hope I can explain this correctly, as I am completely lost as to what was and is going on. About 6-8 months ago, I installed VS2005 Professional on my notebook and got the VS2005 WAP conversion installation, which was a seperate add on at the time. I took a couple small 1.1 applications and as I recall pointed to the .vbproj file and allowed the conversion wizard to do it's thing and then went through the output fixing all the code which was no longer 2.o compliant (ie. Like the SMTP class changes).  Now, on my Desktop I was told to install VS2005 Team System and patc...

error in converting a framework 1.1 vb.net web site to framework 2.0
  I am trying to convert a framework 1.1 vb.net web site to framework 2.0 site, and it's not possible to rewrite it.  I have gone through the convertion wizard and compliled successfully. Sound great so far. However, when I run the page via the virtual web server, I get a error message said, "Parser Error Message: Could not load type BizWeb.WebPages.DefaultSettings.FeeForm"   Did anyone exprience this problem when doing convertion? Please share some experience to me.   Thanks in advance!   vcllvc  Hi, One way: Go to IIS manager, right click...

2.0 web site and 1.1 Web Project
We converted a 1.1 solution to a 2.0 solution. All of our projects that are for the UI seem to be web applications, ie. they have a csproj file and the dll matches the name name of the project as the dll name. For example mywebsite.dll. There is one assembly. However when I right click on the root of the project in VS 2005 I get a convert to web application projet option we are using VSS. Why is this so to me it looks as though it is already a web application (because of the presence of the csproj file). If it were a web site from the .net 2.0 model then it would make sense ie. we can c...

Updates after 1.5.0.7 (1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1)can't access the web.
Name: Jay Product: Firefox Summary: Updates after 1.5.0.7 (1.5.0.9, 2.0.0.1)can't access the web. Comments: see summary Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.0.7) Gecko/20060909 Firefox/1.5.0.7 ...

1.1 web application convert into 2.0
Hi, I am going to convert my asp.net 1.1 web application in 2.0. I have followed this link http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479567.aspx#wapp_topic12 But when i debug the application the vs 2005 found the error "Unable to start debugging on the web server. The web server is not confugered correctly.See help fo commen configuration errors. Running the web page outside the debugger may provide further information. Click help for more information." I have checked it. It is properly configured, version is also 2.0. When I try to browse the virtual directory found configu...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

Can a .NET 1.1 page execute in a .NET 2.0 web site?
I've got a ASP.NET 1.1 web site to which I would like to add some ASP.NET 2.0 web pages. Could I just change the web site to point to the 2.0 .NET version and still have the .NET 1.1 web pages work so that both versions are in the same web site? Have you some of you approached this? Thanks. The official answer is maybe It's not officially supported, but most ASP.NET 1.1 pages will run fine under ASP.NET 2.0.  Officially you should run the upgrade wizard on your 1.1 pages. This is a  pretty good blog entry.      JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.c...

enigmail-1.0.1 for TB-3.0.x and enigmail-1.1.2 for TB-3.1.x available
Hi, enigmail-1.0.1 (TB-3.0.x) and enigmail-1.1.2 (TB-3.1.x) are available at http://enigmail.mozdev.org. Note for Seamonkey-2.0.x you can download and install enigmail-1.0.1. Have fun, Walter ...

Benifits to convert from web application 1.1 to 2.0
Hi, Can any body tell me, What are the benifits to convert the application asp.net 1.1 to 2.0.   Thanks,   naveed. naveedbaig:Can any body tell me, What are the benifits to convert the application asp.net 1.1 to 2.0. Most of the benefits are the new controls and tools for faster development, and new features.Things like all the login controls, provider models, master pages, the new data bound controls, table adapters etcTo develop new applications in .NET 1.x would be awful compared to .NET 2.0 so if you are contemplating on a new web application between 1.1 and 2.0, t...

Is it just me or has the Fandango site stopped working with FF (1.5.0.7, 1.5.0.9, 2.0) on eComStation 1.2 ?
Hi all, I've possibly messed up my Firefox installations, but other pages still seem to work OK. Has anyone else had problems recently with http://www.fandango.com ? The home page comes up, and then completely hangs my system, and even if I ctrl-alt-delete and kill Firefox with TOP, I just get a black screen and have to re-boot. It used to work fine. If it's just me, does anyone have any advice for what might be happening or how to go about figuring it out ? Thanks in advance, Karen Roberts On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 19:13:13 UTC, Karen Roberts <kvroberts@comcast.net>...

From 2.1.2 to 3.1 or 2.1.2 to 3.0.13 to 3.1

updated 1.2.2 to 2.0.1 but still shows 1.2.2
I just reinstalled the SBS 6 with the NW6 SP3 Overly cd and i put web access, iprint, dhcp/dns, naas on the initial install. I then proceded to upgrade edir to 8.7.1 ( i updated jvm and the other stuff that 8.7.1 required first) and everything went great. I then udated imanager from 1.2.2. to 2.0.1 and the install went as expected no errors or anything. Here is the problem when i surf to iManager with internet exploder 6 it shows me i am using 1.2.2. I read the instructions and they talk about some migrating but the direction don't match imanager 1.2.2 (i assume they are reffe...

Web resources about - Convert v 1.1 Web application to 2.0 Web site? - asp.net.migrating-from-1.x-2.0

Development application for Holt golf course land open for public inspection
The developers selling 350 dwellings on disused parts of the Holt golf course have submitted their development application for public inspection. ...

Samsung Unveils the Latest Application Processor, Exynos 8 Octa, Built on 14-Nanometer FinFET Process ...
Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd., a world leader in advanced semiconductor technology, today announced the newest member of its Exynos family of ...

MBA: Mortgage Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 18% YoY ...
From the MBA: Refinance Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 1.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications fall 1.3%
Despite a sharp rise in mortgage interest rates, mortgage application volume was not affected as much as expected.

Thousands of Java applications vulnerable to nine-month-old exploit
A popular Java library has a serious vulnerability, discovered over nine months ago, that continues to put thousands of Java applications and ...