vs2005 web application with vs2005 web deployment project build failed

We Migrated our faily large ASP.NET project (has several folder hierarchy and our aspx pages refers to usercontrols in parent folders) to a VS2005 Web Application (not web site) project.
Migration went well. We can build and run the project successfully.
But when we comes to deploy vs 2005 web application project we did not find publish web site option unfortunately.
So we added a Web deployment project to our web application project. But we could not complie the web deployment project
even though we can complie out web application project. We encounter the following error in all of our ascx pages.

------ Build started: Project: Root.vbproj_deploy, Configuration: Debug Any CPU ------
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet_compiler.exe -v /ProjectName.vbproj -p
"C:\Projects\VDB\Web\root" -u -f -d C:\root.vbproj_deploy\Debug\
/root.vbproj/UserControls/uc_BList.ascx(1): error ASPPARSE: Could not load type 'Root.Administration.uc_BList'.

our .ascx page inherits 'Root.Administration.uc_BList' which is its code behind file. This usercontrol code behind is not a partial class.
Is there any particular way the user controls has to be structured to be used with web deployment projects?

We r stuck with this issue with vs 2005 web deployment projects.
Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chaminda

0
chaminda

Hi Chaminda,

If you want to send me email directly (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can give you access to a recent VS 2005 Web Application Project download that has publish support built-in.  We will be making this available publically on the web in about 10 days -- but if you send me email I can give you access to a near-finished version now.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
3/21/2006 7:35:48 AM

I found the Issue for Web deployment project build failiure. WDP use precompilation feature to compile all the .aspx and .ascx files too, so make sure  your content files  inherits  the fully qualified namespace of the underline codebehind dll's built.

Thanks!

Nalaka

0
chaminda

Is it possible to migrate VS2005 Web Application Project to VS2005 Web Site.
Good afternoon.On my first project using VS2005, it was a brand new project so we didn't have to face the migration issue.  As we were developing right after VS2005 was released, we created the code using File | New | Web Site.I have now moved onto my second project and this one is a migration from a previously existing .NET 1.1 codebase to .NET 2.0.   We are currently investigating the best approach for migrating this code from VS2003 to VS2005.  We are thinking that at least initially, we might convert the code into a VS2005 Web Application Project using the steps located at...

Problem when deploying Web Application project over VS2005 Web Site project
Hi,  we ran into this issue yesterday evening when we were trying to deploy new code on production box. It was running previous version of our app that was VS 2005 Web Site project, but the new version was migrated into Web App project. New build was tested on sandbox and even on the same production machine (but under different, non public web site configured there) and was working fine. However, when we deployed on production web site, we got this error:Compiler Error Message: CS0246: The type or namespace name 'ProfileCommon' could not be found (are you missing a using directi...

Problem Converting VS2005 Web site to VS2005 Web Application
I have a 2005 Web Site (no profile, no xsd) I need to convert to a 2005 Web Application. I downloaded SP1 and followed Scott's tutorial. After conversion and build I had 32 errors and 4 warnings. One set of errors has to do with the fact that I have 2 modules containing some utility functions in the Web Site. All calls from web pages to functions in these modules fail in the Web Application (they work fine in the Web Site).The error says: Name [FunctionName] not defined I suspect I need to add the modules to the project namespace, but just putting "namespace ThisProjec...

Migrating web site (vs2005) to web application (vs2008)
Hi!  I followed http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration2/Migration2.aspx tutorial and it seemed that everything was ok. But after successful start I got this exceptions: Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately. Compiler Error Message: CS0433: The type 'ASP.banerzone3sm_ascx' exists in both 'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temporary ASP.NET Files\tisnet\00e65f37\54991e22\App_Web_jr-am_rq.dll...

How convert VS2005 site web to new Web Application Project
We found out about the new Web Application Project tool a few days too late. Our VS 2003 web app has now been moved to the default VS2005 model. Now that we know about the new Project model add-in, we'd love to convert to that. Our biggest problem with the standard VS2005 model is that non-GACed references aren't stored anywhere...it just looks in the bin. This is a pain for our build/deployment process (no more Copy Local). We can GAC a lot of assemblies (even though we don't want to), but some of them are third-party unsigned assemblies or COM interop assemblies, so they have to be in th...

Web Deployment Project failing for Web Application Project
I have a solution containing 40+ projects including a Web Application Project and Web Deployment Project.  When I compile the solution excluding the WDP, it is successful.  When compiling including the WDP, it fails.  The failures are odd because they include compile time errors with the user controls code-behind complaining ala: Error 19 'Picis.Web.Applications.UserPreferences.UserPreference' does not contain a definition for 'GetCategoryName' c:\PWA\Development\Sources\PicisWeb\Picis.Web\Apps\UserProfile\UserPreferences\Engine\UserProfileEngine.ascx.cs 4...

Run-time problems after converting VS2005 web site to web application project
I've been reading about Web App Projects and how they eliminate the need for _vti files from FrontPage Server Extensions so I thought give it a try converting. I've read lots of stuff on this in this forum and elsewhere and I've gotten my project to build without any errors but I get failures trying to run the app. To give an idea, I have a public site for development at http://www.mortgagedataweb.com/devmdw/default.asp which resides in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\devmdw on a webserver running WinServer2003. I also have a copy of this on my desktop running WinXP at http://localho...

Web Application Project for VS2005
I found a lot of developers download and use Web Application Project for VS2005. Is that the best and only way for ASP.NET 2.0 development? Is VS2005 Web Site Project a nuisance? I'd appreciate instructions and discussions on using VS 2005 Web Site Projects successfully. Please kindly provide related links/tutorials. Thanks.Please mark the post(s) that have helped you as "Answer" The following whitepaper lists benefits of both models and which one makes sense to use depeneding on your particular scenario: http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/default.aspx?pull=/library/en-...

How can I tell if my VS2005 project is running on IIS or the bultin web server of VS2005?
Is there a way to make sure that my project is running on IIS and not the VS 2005 web server? Can I switch from one to the other?Thank youJackxxx Do you mean running in debug mode? If so, Right click on your project from the Solution Explorer and go to Property Pages Click Start Options on the left Under Server -> Default Web Server means run under VS 2005 Use Custom Server uses IIS -> Fill in http://localhost/ in the Base Url field (assuming IIS is pointing to your website folder)....

Converting VS2005 Web Site to Web Application
I have made a Web Application copy of an existing VS2005 Web Site project, however all the form controls controls are seemingly unknown to the code behind, yet the controls are present on the ASPX form. I have tried switching from design to source view and back again. (The original VS2005 Web Site version did compile OK.)Any Ideas? Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped. The answer to my problem turned out to be Step 4: Conve...

Error when Deploying and Signing Web Application project with Web Deployment project
I have a Web Application project that needs to be deployed and signed using Web Deployment projects. When I delete the global.ascx file I'm able to do the deployment and sign the output assembly. The error I'm getting without signing the assemblies is "An error occurred when merging assemblies: ILMerge.Merge: The target assembly 'HelloWorld' lists itself as an external reference.” .  Global.ascx or .asax? The usual cause of a signing error is when a reference is not signed.  Is the global.asax.cs or .vb marked as conte...

Web Deployment Project deploying files not included by Web Application Project
Recently my boss asked me to find a way to share a web site project between 2 separate projects which will only share a subset of the files in the folder.  I created 2 web applications projects in the folder and eliminated the web site project.  I discovered when I publish the web application projects, that it wasn't compiling the .as*x pages, so I looked into web deployment projects.  The problem I'm having with web deployment projects is that when I build them from the solution configuration, it copies all the files in the web project to the deployment folder and I c...

Questions about web deployment project in VS2005
I created a web deployment project for my website, it compiled correctly, I have two questions about the project file: 1, When open the web deployment project file (*.wdproj), some properties are underlined, when you mouse over it, the tooltip text showed the following message, The element 'PropertyGroup' in namespace 'http//......' has invalid child element 'SourceWebPhysicalPath' in namespace 'http://......'. List of possible element expected: ...... There are some other similar properties. Can anyone explain why? 2, The generated DLL files were co...

Web deployment project + VS2005 bug
I have found a small problem with the web deployment project and was wondering if it's just me or if others are seeing the same thing.  If I build a project that has errors, fix the errors and then rebuild, the error remains in VS's 'Error List' window even though the build completed with no errors.  Only way to get rid of them is to close the solution and reopen it. Stephen. I was unable to reproduce this problem.  What was the specific error and can you provide the specific repro steps? Thanks, Brad. I see this problem all the time, not with web deployment projects tho...

Web resources about - vs2005 web application with vs2005 web deployment project build failed - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Miller accused's bail application adjourned until Friday
One of the two men charged with causing the one-punch death of Brisbane teenager Cole Miller will stay behind bars until at least Friday.

Apple Stores planned for India as application is filed with regulators
... India Times , the company has recently taken a major step in accomplishing that goal. According to the report, Apple has just filed an application ...

Tech City UK received just 37 applications for a visa scheme that could allow 200 tech immigrants to ...
Tech City UK, a taxpayer-funded government organisation, has received just 37 applications since April 2015 for a dedicated technology visa that ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increased in Latest Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 19% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent from one week earlier, ...

Mortgage applications rebound
Mortgage applications increased 21.3 percent on a seasonally adjusted basis, for the week ending January 8th, versus previous week,

Toshiba expands ApP Lite processor family for wearable applications
Toshiba has announced the launch of TZ1201XBG, an application processor for wearable devices, as the latest addition to its ApP Lite family for ...