VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

I have used VS.NET 2003 extensively and exploited all features like drag and drop functions for creating components, drag and drop data access components...For example VS.NET 2003 allows creating sqldataadapter for table mapping , stored proc parameters mappings etc..
We can drag pretty much any object on component designer....

Not it seems like all that gone...
VS.NET 2005, there is no way we can drag the typed dataset, sqldata adapter, sqlcommand on forms designer . There is no concept of component. There is no component designer any more....

Biggest flaw i found is sqldatasource and objectdatasrouce doesn't support transaction anymore...
there is no way to supply any current live db transaction to these objects...How can you imagine any app without transaction.

Please share ideas...

gotech.

0
gotech

Hi GoTech,

I made a blog post about how to create Strongly Typed DataSets, TableAdapters and DataTables last week that you can read here: http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/01/15/435498.aspx.  I'd recommend checking it out to learn about new ways to build DAL components in VS 2005.  I think you'll find this solution actually much better than adding the SqlDataAdapters directly on your forms -- since you can re-use them across multiple pages.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
1/20/2006 5:08:17 AM
See... these are very common answers that i gone thru many times...i already used the same for my own app..
Here are the major limitaitons...
1.This new Dataset/tableadapter works great -but tightly integreted with database....Sometime i want to creat manually dataset/tables without back end database...then i like to bind this dataset(structure) t ogridview or other ...on asp.net page on design time....(like vs2003)...I don't see that is possible here .....

2.Even if i achive the above somehow using the objectdatasource...that biggest problem is objectdatasource doesn't support the transaction....
I have case where there are 6 objectdatasources....and i want to achieve transaction across all of them...there is no way to assign or pass current transaction to these xxxDatasource controls...they are really sucks and seems to be marketing hype....

3.
0
gotech
1/30/2006 8:01:56 PM

#1 If you drag the "DataTable" component from the toolbox on the DataSet designer, you can define the DataTables/DataSets independent of the database.

#2 You can use the TransactionScope feature in code to scope multiple updates/operations into a single atomic transaction.  These can span multiple TableAdapters.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
1/30/2006 11:44:25 PM
Is there anyway to drag typed dataset/tables (created mannualy  withthout tablAdapter-no select query) on asp.net form designer and bind it to controls?

I really appreciate this help?
gotech
0
gotech
2/1/2006 2:27:32 PM

Hi Gotech,

There is no automatic way to drag/drop them onto the form designer.  What you can do though is this:

1) Create a class with methods to return and update values into the dataset/table.  This would replace the need for a TableAdapter.

2) Add an ObjectDataSource control to the page, and then pick the class you created in step #1 to get/update the data.

3) You can then databind controls on the page to the objectdatasource.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
2/2/2006 1:34:55 AM
Thank you scott!
Is this limitation of not allowing drag feature of dataset/table on asp.net  is by design?
Is there anyway i can disable ObjectDataSource.GetData() method firing automatically on load?
I want it to fire only on particular event....?
0
gotech
2/2/2006 1:22:09 PM

Hi GoTech,

If you only want to cause the GridView to bind when a ceretain event happens, you can just right code like this:

GridView1.DataSource = MethodToGetYourDataTable()

GridView1.DataBind()

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
2/3/2006 8:37:19 AM

I know that part...my question is ...how to stop xxxDatasource loading data by itself- i don't want data load event to trigger unlesss i want it....

This seems to default behaviour - it alwasy laods data on page load....

0
gotech
2/3/2006 1:59:34 PM

By default it will databind when it needs data (which is why it is firing on the initial page_load).  If you want more control you can do one of two things:

1) explictly databind it like I showed above

or

2) you can handle the "selecting" event on the Objectdatasource and optionally change the eventargs value to e.Cancel = true if you want to prevent a databind action from occuring.  That way you can selectively cancel a databind depending on the circumstances of how it fires.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu

Web resources about - VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Watch the Republican Debate in Less Than Four Minutes
They railed against President Barack Obama , Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and the New York Times . They disagreed on New York values ...

Indonesia says attack underlines emergence of Islamic State threat
By Randy Fabi and Fergus Jensen JAKARTA (Reuters) - Indonesia must strengthen its defenses against Islamic State and work with neighboring countries ...

U.S. to invest billions in self-driving cars
Self-driving cars got a financial shot in the arm from the federal government Thursday, but a new report shows the autonomous vehicles have safety ...

US Powerball: Tickets, results, winning numbers, live stream of lottery for Australians
ONE of the winners of the world record Powerball jackpot has been revealed as a California nurse who was given the ticket by her generous boss. ...

America Ferrera Explains Where Golden Globes Bit with Eva Longoria Came From!
America Ferrera strikes a pose as she attends the 2016 Winter TCA Tour to promote her new NBC show Superstore on Wednesday (January 13) in Pasadena, ...

There's a Few Good Reasons to Download the New iOS Beta
The public beta of iOS 9.3 is available for all to download today. Normally, decimal-point upgrades aren’t much to write home about, but there’s ...

Franchise Ensemble SAG Award? ‘Chicago’ Boss Dick Wolf Calls For Rule Change
Two decades ago, Dick Wolf helped change the rules of dramatic storytelling with the introduction of the first crossover between his Law & Order ...

Netflix plans to block VPNs out of Australia
Netflix has warned that it will be cracking down on customers using proxies or unblockers to access its global catalogue, because it wants to ...

Foursquare's new CEO to shift company focus beyond consumers
Foursquare gambled big two years ago when it split its app in two. Unfortunately, that hasn't worked out so well. Despite reinstating universal ...

Data Scientist Mansplains Manspreading
For years, it’s been thought that manspreading is a result of men needing room for their penises (peni?) to breathe. There’s an even better potential ...