Problem upgrading VS 2003 Web to VS 2005 Web Application Project

Hi,

I've just attempted to upgrade an existing 2003 web project to 2005 as per Scott's instructions at:
http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx and I'm getting an error dialog at step 6.4, on attempting to re-open the solution with the ProjectType changed to guids:   "A project with that name is already opened in the solution.".

One colleague reproduced my error; another ran through the same sequence and does not get the error, so I guess it's an environment or installation issue.  Anyone seen the same issue and found a work-around?

Cheers
Garth

0
garfie

Hi Garth,

That error typically happens when you are trying to use the C# GUID on a VB project.  The GUID's are actually language specific -- which is why it probably worked with a C# project but not the VB one.

BTW -- we are about to release an update of the Web Application Project option later this week that automates the upgrade.  If you want to send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) I can email a copy of it to you sooner.

Hope this helps,

Scott

0
ScottGu
4/2/2006 9:27:55 PM
Thanks Scott,
I replaced the C# guid with the VB one, and I'm back on track... thanks!

Rgds
Garth
0
garfie
4/2/2006 11:04:09 PM

Hi Scott,

 Could you please elaborate on this?

I have Service Pack 1 installed and the solution contains many projects, one of them Web Application Model.

After migration, i closed the solution and reloaded.  Occasionally I get 1 or 2 projects displaying that message, and subsequently once the solution is loaded, they appear as "unavailable".  However, if i reload those projects by right clicking and select Reload Project, they would just reload fine.

Regards,

Siew Fai

0
sfinc

Problem: VS 2003 Web Applicaion Migrate to VS 2005 Web Application model
Hi, I have migrated my vs2003 application to vs2005 web application model.   i followed the first four steps based on the url http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/HelloWorld/Helloworld.aspx but still my project is maintaining  in vs2003 version. My csprjoct file is not converted to vs2005. Anyone can please help me. Regards, Baskaran Hi Baskaran, Can you send me email (scottgu@microsoft.com) with more details about your migration issues?  I can then help you debug and figure out what the problem is. thanks, Scott...

Migrating from VS 2005 Web Site Projects to VS 2005 Web Application Projects witn vb and c# code
I've tring to migrate Web Site to Web Aplication in VS 2005. In my Web Site I have pages written using VB and C#. During converting to WA i choose VB and only pages with VB code i can migrate. If I choose C# as language for WA only pages with C# I can migrate. Is a way to migrate Web Site with mix of VB and C# code? Wieslaw Hi, As far as I know, The ASP.NET Web application doesn't support that C# application project contains VB page or VB application project contains C# page. But it can compile the different language class file in project. In your case, you can tr...

Converting a VS 2005 Web Application to a VS .NET 2003 Web Application
Well it seems that I am going against the stream here, but one of our clients wants the web application I wrote in Visual Studio 2005 to be deployed using Visual Studio .NET 2003. What's the best way to go about this without rewriting the whole dang thing? I would probably create a new 2003 project, copy all of your aspx and other files into it, attempt a build and see what happens.  If you didn't use a lot of the new controls (like membership, personalization, masterpages etc, then you will probably be ok with just minor changes.  If you did rely on a lot of the newer c...

Upgrade web application from VS 2003 to VS 2005 with Mobile web form
Hi,We have web application developed in VS 2003, and also used extensively Mobile Web Forms. We used device specific rich rendering for Pocket IE using asp.net controls instead mobile controls.I installed VS 2005 professional addition, and then downlaod and installed web application project as explained in link http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/migration/migration.aspx.I am having two major problem after conversion.1. It converted and compiled the project successfully. But when I try opening any Mobile web form and go to design mode, I get an error. I did not convert the pages to use part...

Problems with web controls after upgrading web app from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hey All,  I am currently in the process of upgrading our web application to .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. I have done all the converting that was required for the web application but we have issues with controls that we have created not being displayed. Below is a diagram of the inheritence of one of our web controls.  Form   ---- contains ----   TableRowControl.cs(inherits TableRow)  ---- contains -----  ValidDecimalTextBox.cs     ---- inherits ----- ValidBaseTextbox.cs(inherits CustomValidator)      ...

Problems with web controls after upgrading web app from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hey All, I am currently in the process of upgrading our web application to .Net 2.0 and Visual Studio 2005. I have done all the converting that was required for the web application but we have issues with controls that we have created not being displayed. Below is a diagram of the inheritence of one of our web controls. Form ---- contains ---- TableRowControl.cs(inherits TableRow) ---- contains ----- ValidDecimalTextBox.cs ------ inherits ----- ValidBaseTextbox.cs(inherits CustomValidator)                 &nb...

VS. 2003 => VS 2005 Web Site => Web Application Project?
Hi We converted our VS 2003 solution which contained 2 web application and 5 Class Lib projects to the standard Web site 2005 model. Now. Is there a way to convert from this to the new Web Application model automatically? Thanks in regards Anders   Via Scott Guthrie:  If you want to migrate an existing VS 2005 Web Site Project to be a VS 2005 Web Application Project, please also review these other VB and C# migration tutorials that walkthrough the Web Site to Web Application conversion process step-by-step.  This article here also describes some of the diff...

Just one error when Migrating from VS 2003 to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project
Hello. I'm trying to migrate a VS.NET 2003, VB Web consuming client Web application to VS 2005 using the Web Application Project using the info at this link http://webproject.scottgu.com/VisualBasic/Migration/Migration.aspxThe only problem i have is in the following code, the "RequestSoapContext" gives an error when i hover my mouse over it of "'RequestSoapContext' is not a member of 'CoyneTruckWebServices.TripExportService.TripExportService" This code is exactly as it was in VS2003, where it was working, but i can't figure out how to get rid of the error.    ...

Errors migrating VS 2003 Web project to VS 2005
Hello all, I have a large VB.NET solution (around 69 projects) which I am converting to Visual Studio 2005. The solution consists of about 66 class library projects (all of which convert correctly) and three web projects (all of which fail miserably). I have attempted following instructions to change the file type of the web projects from web to class library and back, but this fails with the message "Project type does not exist" - I believe I may be using the C# GUIDs for the project name as opposed to the VB. However, this failure is secondary. When I attempt to install the WAP update, I ...

VS 2005 SP1 + .NET AJAX => automatically adds web.config in nested Web Application Project when opening project or solution
I get a 'Configuration Error' on an aspx page because VS added automatically a web.config to my nested Web Application Project where no web.config file should be. This effect I have noticed since I have installed SP1 and .NET AJAX Extensions. Why is VS 2005 adding the web.config file and how can I disable this behavior? Following is the content of the automatically added web.config file (comments omitted): <?xml version="1.0"?><configuration>    <appSettings/>    <connectionStrings/>    <system.web> &...

convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003
hi how can i convert the web application from vs.net 2002 to vs.net 2003 and how i know that the application is made in vs.net 2002 and not in vs.net 2003 and thank for your time VS.NEt 2003 detects 2002 project format automatically when you try to open 2002 project with it. It also asks you if the project needs to be converted into 2003 format (if I remember right conversion must be done to use the project in 2003). If you say yes, it does the conversion and you don't have to do anything. Note that VS.NEt 2002 can't open 2003 projects.Thanks,Teemu KeiskiFinland, EU thank you for your...

VS 2005 Web Project to VS 2003
How to Migrate a VS 2005 Web Project to VS 2003 ? vinod82_cse:How to Migrate a VS 2005 Web Project to VS 2003 ? Can I ask why you would want to downgrade the framework?There is no tool around to do this that i am aware of as it makes no sense to convert a .NET 2.0 app to .NET 1.1If you are serious about doing this you will just have to create an empty 1.1 solution and add the content from the .NET 2.0 app. However if the .NET 2.0 app uses new controls and language features from 2.0 then you cannot use them in 1.1 ...

Copying VS.NET web project to Win 2003 and opening it in VS.NET
Hi all, Environment: ASP.NET 1.1; VS.NET Enterprise 2003; Windows Server 2003; IIS 6.0 I hope somebody can help me figure this out. I created a Web project on my XP Dev machine which I can open, run, debug and do everything else. I can "deploy" the project to my 2003 server and open the site in explorer browser. But now, I want to transfer the whole solution to my Win 2003 and continue the development and testing on it. So, I transferred the whole VS solution directory from my XP machine to the Win 2003 machine. I created a Web site (not a virtual directory under default...

VS 2005 Web Application project >> Web Site project
Hello,I am trying to do the uncommon, change a VS 2005 Web Application project (originally a converted 2003 Web Application project) to a VS 2005 Web Site project. There are many tutorials on how to either take a 2003 Web Application project, or 2005 Web Site project and turn them into into a VS 2005 Web Application project. (Not what I'm looking for)Also, is it possible to convert a 2003 Web Application project to a 2005 Web Site project. (too late for my current projects.... but for future refernce) Many thanx     There may very well be a reason why the road o...

Web resources about - Problem upgrading VS 2003 Web to VS 2005 Web Application Project - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Pre-Christmas job application rush hits Australian public service
Speed required for pre-Christmas job window opening for public servants. Check out who is hiring.

Cloud application adoption increases 71 percent in 2015
The adoption of cloud applications is soaring, up by 71 percent in the last year according to the results of a new survey. The latest Cloud ...

NASA is accepting astronaut applications, and this quiz will tell you if you qualify
... gone before, then you might want to sign up to be a NASA astronaut. On Dec. 14, for the first time in four years, NASA began accepting applications. ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 29% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Increase in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications increased 1.2 percent from one week earlier, ...

SMIC and M31 introduce differentiated IP solutions for storage controller applications
China-based IC foundry Semiconductor Manufacturing International (SMIC) has announced the company will expand its IP portfolio with M31 Technology's ...

NASA accepting applications for the position of 'astronaut'
Wanted ads aren't usually newsworthy, unless the company is NASA and the job is "going to space." The US space agency has started recruiting ...

Apple Patent Application Hints at Waterproof iPhone
The patent application describes special rubber ports over headphone and other openings to protect them from water coming in.