Migration VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005

I want to migrate to framework 2.0.

Questions :

1) Can i use Vs.Net 2005 and framework 2.0 with Sql Server 2000 ? or must i migrate too 2005
2) I read in some forums there is some problem to migrate vs.net 2003 solutions/project to 2005, It's right ?
3) Is it necessery to modify a lot of c# code (deprecate, ...) ?
4) Can i work both Vs.Net2003 framework 1.1 ans Vs.net 2005 framework 2.0 on the same development machine ?

Thanks.

Patrick Ducret
0
Patrick

1) Yes you can. You can use SQL2000 from .NET 2.0 as you did from .NET 1.x. SQL2005 just has some additional features to offer.

2) It can be if you migrate to web site project (default in VS2005) due to certain compilation semantics. MS has provided Web Application project add-on for VS2005 which then works as projects worked in VS2003. From VS2005 Sp 1 on Web Application project is also built into Vs2005. So, if you migrate from VS2003 to VS2005 Web Application,. you should face very minor issues if any. More info:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx
http://www.west-wind.com/presentations/AspNetCompilation/AspNetCompilation.asp

3) Very unlikely. depends on if you use features which really would've been dropped but there aren't very many oif them. I think that you don't have to change a line.

4) Yes, frameworks can exist on same machine. You just select at least at application basis which framework version it uses. (ASP.NET tab on IIS)

Thanks,

Teemu Keiski
Finland, EU
0
joteke
1/19/2007 1:32:32 PM

Thanks for your response.

Now i must do a big "planning" - a lot of thing......
First, migrate my dedicated server form windows 2000 to 2003.

Patrick Ducret
0
Patrick

Migration issues from VS.Net 2003 to VS.Net 2005
I have a ASP.Net 1.x web application developed using VS 2003. The language used for this application is VB.Net. When I tried to migrate to VS 2005 I am getting the list of errors and warnings as shown below. I have been trying the migration in a new machine which does not have VS 2003.  List of Error:  1. Expression of type 'String' can never be of type 'System.DBNull'.   List of Warnings: 1. The referenced component 'CDONTS' could not be found.   2. Cannot load type library for reference "CDONTS". Library not registered. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003

Migrating from VS.NET 2003 to VS.NET 2008
 We are getting ready to start migrating all our applications from Visual Studio 2003 to Visual Studio 2008. Is anyone aware of any direct conversion issues? Also. a lot of our 1.1 apps use datatables as the datasource can we still do this in 2008? Yes you can.I have done some migration between 1.1 and 2.0 and there were some small issues but in general most of the things worked fine.For example Microsoft has changed the html validator in Visual Studio.also some events works a little different. If you share session cookie between some 1.1 and 2.0 (or) later apps you have to do so...

VS.NET 2005 vs VS.NET 2003 #2

VS.NET 2003 to VS.Net 2005
Hi   I just converetd my VS.Net 2003 project to VS.NET 2005 using the convert wizard in Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project. It compiled with no build errors and a few warnings. When Iam trying to view the project, then it gives me 404 error. Can someone help ? Thanks Could you confirm you are using WAP (Web Application Projects) versus the built-in WSP (Web Site model)? If you have a project file after converting, then you are using WAP. Could you post the actual 404 error you got? Also, did you set your start page in the converted project?  -Mike-...

VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter
All -- Please help. I need a VS.NET 2005 to VS.NET 2003 converter. OOPs. (It is a long story.) Anyway... Does such a thing exist? Do you have any hints? (The VS.NET 2005 code is simple and does use much of the new stuff.) Please advise. Thank you. --Mark Kamoski  http://www.NetBrainer.com...

VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 on same machine
I've seen some postings indicating that you can have VS.NET 2003 and VS.NET 2005 side by side on the same machine.  I've also seen some comments that if doing this there is something that gets messed up, but I can't locate what it is and what the solution might be. Can someone shed some light on this for me regarding what might get messed up and where I can find the fixes to it? Thanks, Ira  Ira Richard Smith I have this set up. no prob at all.-DarrenNeese.com-DNN ROCKS!-DeveloperSchool.com Same here along with VS.Net 2002 & VS 6.0 I'm running 2003 and 2005 on wi...

Converting project from VS:Net 2003 to Vs.Net 2005
Hi there,can anyone help with converting a project from Vs.NET 2003 to vs.net 2005. Its not the internal workings that are a problem but the organization...I understand that under mydocuments\visual Studio 2005\  there are 2 directories (amongst others)1 is projects1 is websitesin projects these store the sln file and all the code for a gui app for examplefor websites in projects is just the sln which points to the websites directory where all the code is for a website i.e. under \mydocs\visual studio 2005\websitesam i right?So in simple terms, what is the best way of importing my vs.ne...

VS.Net 2003 Conversion to VS.Net 2005 issues
I've recently installed and started using VS.Net 2005 and have converted a web service solution to .Net 2.0 which works fine. I have an ASP.Net application [still .Net 1.1] that consumed this web service and now I cannot get it to work. Previously this was referencing the binary created for the web service but obviously this binary is no longer created. I have changed this reference to a web reference and now use the WSDL files i've generated from the web service but I get the following error.// Error DetailsException Details: System.Net.WebException: The request failed with the error m...

both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE
Edited by moderator XIII: please use a normal font size: Hi I have my computer Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Framwork 1.1 and all propram are runing VS .NET 2003 . I want to load my computer VS .NET 2005 and Framwork 2.0. I am not Interest to uninstalled VS .NET 2003 AND Framwork 1.1. I want both VS .NET 2003 AND VS .NET 2005 ARE INSTALLED SAME COMPUTER. IT IS POSSABLE . PLEASE HELP ME. IF ANY PROBLEM ARE THER IF VS ..NET 2003 AND 2005 ARE SAME COMPUTER. Please help me. Saikat Hi, I have both the frameworks and IDE's installed on my dev laptop without any problems. However if you wish t...

Switch back from using VS.Net 2005 to VS.Net 2003
Hi All, Last Month I installed VS.Net 2005 using Framework 2.0 beta 1. Everything worked great using VS.Net 2005. Today, I decided to switch back to VS.Net 2003. I need to do some other projects that has been developed using Framework 1.1. When I open my ASP.Net project using VS.Net 2003, I got this error "The Web server reported the following error when attempting to create or open the Web Project located at the following URL:....... 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem without uninstall VS.Net2005 and reinstall VS.Net2003? Great...

Upgrade VS.NET Pro 2003 Special Edition TO VS.NET 2005?
Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade VS.NET Pro 2003 Special Edition TO VS.NET 2005? Thanks....

Is it possible to install vs.net 2003 ans vs.net 2005 on the same machine ?
hello, All:             I am use the vs.net 2003 on my computer ,now I want to install vs.net 2005 on  the same machine .             is it possible to do it ?  when I install vs.net 2005 finish,anything special need to be config ?   thanks in advanced!   Yes you can install both.  You will need the 2.o/3.0 version of the framework for 2005, and if you run 1.1 and 2.0+ apps on IIS you'll need to set up sepaarte application pools (IIS6). JeffP...

In Vs.Net 2005, grid does not come up in designer like in VS.net 2003
Hi, I am using VS.Net 2005. Previously I used VS.Net 2003. In 2003, whenever i add a new file it used to display the page in grids that helps me moving the controls and aligning it. But in 2005, i could not come up with an option that can show the grid with dots in the designer. Am i missing any setting here?   Regards, Jagadeesh   Turn on first checkbox for Absolute Positioning on the options page Tools | Options, HTML Designer, CSS Positioning.  From that point on controls dragged to the page will be absolutely positioned.-DanThis posting is provided "AS I...