Do you have to convert 1.1 projects in vs2005?

I'm sure this is a simple 'no you cant' answer, but is it possible to just have vs2005 ide and still be able to build and deploy 1.1 and 2.0 projects?  or would that defeat the purpose of even getting vs2005?

kj2w

Visual Studio is a programming environment.  You can program anything in it.  The extra features that make programming easier are geared to the .NET 2.0 framework, but that doesn't stop you from writing 1.1 code in it.

Jeff

jeff
7/20/2006 7:33:29 PM
But i can't build the application as a 1.1 project?

I need to do some changes to a 1.1 application but i don't want to (can't) install visual studio 2003. I'm almost certain that i can't but may be some can help me

thanks
0
arnoled
8/18/2006 4:20:12 PM

Your are correct, the MSoft god decided that each vs is tied to a particular runtime frame work! Why? Ask Msoft..

Hence if you want to generate 1.1 apps you need vs 2003..

Not if you have some 1.1 libs etc, these will work fine ( in most cases) without upgrading them to 2.0 and hence in this case you can develop in vs 2005 and deploy the 2.0 App with 1.1 libs etc if this helps..

But I strongly suggest against using vs 2005 ( see numerious posts on this subject)..

0
dude_4

Web Project converted from 1.1 VS2003 to 2.0 VS2005
Hi,  this is a few questions really My site was originally in .Net 1.1 and was converted to 2.0 and then I used the 'convert to web application' option in VS2005 to keep the same model with a single dll.  The site is used by IE, Firefox and Safari.  Also I have kept a browsercaps section in the web.config (BrowserCaps update for modern browsers, http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/) (which I think is maybe just needed in .Net 1.1)  Here's my questions; 1.  My site does not have any .browser files?  Does it need them and can anyone...

Can VS2005 maintain VS2003 projects (1.1)
My web host is now supporting .NET 2.0.  When I install VS2005, will I be able to support the .NET 1.1 projects??  Or will I have to keep VS2003 around to support those older projects until I can convert to 2.0??   ***   You need VS2003 also. hi, you can convert the older version projects into new version i thin there is no need of vs2003 just install the latest version and open ur project it will automatically ask u to convert, jst click the convert button and u problem will be solvedplz mark as correct if it helps  It's in a current production sit...

VS2005 GCN 1.1 Converted with Web Application Project
I have converted GCN 1.1 (VS2003) to VS2005 using the new Web Application Project. They provide an import capability and it seamlessly converted the VS2003 project....

VS2005 and .Net 1.1
Will you be able to choose which .net framework to use in VS2005 - or will you be restricted to using 2.0 only? Hello, At first, VS 2k5 targets .Net 2.0 and there isn't a direct way of choosing an specific version of the framework.VB .Net Coder - Apologize my C# nescienceBest Regards. I doubt if this is ever going to be provided by Microsoft.They have not done this for version 1.0 and 1.1 and I expect the same to happen. More for business reasons than technical.Regards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info I guess we ...

Using .Net Framework 1.1 w/ VS2005 Beta 1
I have developed a Windows Forms project in VS2005 that I want to install on another computer. Is there any way to specify that the project use the 1.1 Framework vs the 2.0 Beta Framework? I'd rather not install the Beta framework on the other computer, and I have not used any 2.0 specific code. ThanksScottSEADont forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you!This credits that member, earns you a point and mark your thread as Resolved for the sake of Future Readers. Here is one of the easiest solutions ;) Open your code with VS.Net 2003 and recompile ...

after migrating 1.1 to 2.0, project still compiles to 1 single dll, how to convert to "website project"?
Hi, just converted a 1.1 project to 2.0 with VS 2005 SP1. I wanted to convert it to the "website" model so that pages would compile to different dlls versus 1 single dll.  However it converted to 1 single dll. How do i covert it to where it compiles every page separately?  Any tips would be appreciated  Thanks Hi, Here are 2 articles which provide detailed steps for migrating ASP.NET 1.1 to 2.0 including using the "website" model. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa479567.aspxhttp://www.pointercorp.com/Convert_ASPDOTNET_11_20.htm Hope that h...

dumb down VS2005 for .NET 1.1
Related to an earlier post, it looks like I need to dumb down VS2005 so I can write web forms to run on a server that supports only .net1.1. I can't figure out how this is done (if it can be done). Can anyone provide instructions?    There is a hack http://blogs.msdn.com/jomo_fisher/archive/2005/04/22/410903.aspxSatya ------------------------------Mark as answer if you think this helped you Mr Peanut, Visual Studios 2005 is designed to write applications to run with the .NET 2.0 framework.  I personally dont know of any way to program in visual studios 2005, with...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

Any advantages of migrating to .NET 2.0 on still using .NET 1.1 projects?
Sorry for the noob Q - but will I get any advantages in installing .NET 2.0 Framework alongside .NET 1.1 if I dont plan to upgrade my ASP .NET 1.1 web applications?I have a few servers that I will be installing the .NET 2.0 Framework so as to develop in VS2005, however on some servers that will not (at this stage) be used for .NET 2.0 apps and that I may not have the time to convert some VS2003 applications to VS2005, I was in the 'if it aint broke, dont fix it' kind of thinking and didn't know if installing .NET 2.0 would bring any advantages.TIA.  I happen to agree. If you don't nee...

Trying to bring in 1.1 project as VS2005 "Web Application Project"
I have a 1.1 project from a few years ago and am trying to turn it into a 2.0 project, but when i open VS2005 (with SP1 installed) and then open the "sln" or "vbproj" file in the project, i get prompted with "The following web web projects must be convered to the new Web Site format" Where is the option to use Web Application Project instead of Web Site format?   Wasn't that one of the "gee whiz" things MS was bragging about in Service Pack 1?"If you make it idiot proof, they'll build a better idiot" I think you can try ...

Web resources about - Do you have to convert 1.1 projects in vs2005? - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

Mozilla Corporation software rebranded by the Debian project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mozilla Corporation software rebranded by the Debian project deals with a 2006 software branding dispute and its resolution, between the Mozilla ...

Gina Rinehart's Roy Hill project's first shipment 'imminent'
An iron ore carrier is on the way to collect the first shipment from the $10 billion Roy Hill project.

Learn Six Sigma and Lean project management for $79
Knowing (and mastering) the Six Sigma and Lean methods is a must for anyone looking for a career in project management today. And this training ...

China Unveils Biggest Army Overhaul in Decades to Project Power
... Xi Jinping announced a major overhaul of China’s military to make the world’s largest army more combat ready and better equipped to project ...

Google is about to test something secretive across all of the U.S. — and it sounds exactly like its Project ...
Google appears to be planning to test its Project Loon Internet balloons across the entire United States, according to recent documents filed ...

Bangladesh Approves 200 MW Solar Power Project By SunEdison
The Government of Bangladesh has approved construction of a huge solar power project which is expected to play a critical role in the country ...

Green Agenda Risks $2 Trillion Worth Of Energy Projects
'It is the end of the road for expansion of the coal sector.'

What Is This ‘Project Delirium’ Jennifer Lawrence Wants To Direct?
... Lawrence , out promoting the final installment of The Hunger Games , disclosed she wants to make her directing debut on a comedy called Project ...