Can you use VS 2005 for .NET 1.1 Web Development?

I use VS 2003 to develop 1.1 web sites. One of my clients is interested in using VS 2005 to do some additional enhancements. Is this possible? I am interested in the following:

  • Can you use VS 2005 to maintain / develop a .NET 1.1 web site? If yes, is it difficult?
  • Does VS 2005 only work with .NET 2.0?
  • Can you run VS 2005 and VS 2003 on the same computer?

Thanks in advance.

0
ZLA

The answer is No.

Visual Studio 2005 is targetted for development using .NET 2.0.   If you try to open a .NET 1.1 Application in Visual Studio 2005, it would actually ask you and upon confirmation, covert the code to .NET 2.0., which is not reversible.

However, you can still run Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Visual Studio 2005 on the same machine without any issues.

Thanks.

regards,
Harish

http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh
0
ranganh
12/19/2005 3:32:48 PM

Well, you can, but not without a little work.  See the blog post below.

http://blogs.msdn.com/jomo_fisher/archive/2005/04/22/410903.aspx

0
darth21
I was looking for this for quite a long time thanks a lot dude.

Regards

Adonis
0
adonis

WS-Security with VS.NET 2005 Web Service and .NET 1.1 Client
We ship a webservices client piece into the field which is required to run on the .NET 1.1 version of the framework, this is defined by our business people and cannot change. We would like to work with .NET 2.0 in VS.NET 2005 for the backend Web Service piece. We are able to get the 2 to communicate fine and it is not a problem. The issue now is that we need to introduce security through WS-Security. I have not been able to find much information about interop between the 2 environments and WS-Security and cannot get the security elements to be invoked in VS.NET 2005. Currently we are trying ...

using Web Developer 2005 where server .net ver = 1.1
My web host uses Framework 1.1.  I would like to use VWD 2005 to developdown reved pages.  Is it possible to configure VWD to use the 1.1 extensions ? VWD 2005 requires asp.net 2.0 to be regstered if you are developing IIS apps, you will not be able to use it for building sites mapped to 1.1. Alternatively you can develop file system apps, these will also run using fx 2.0 but will not require Asp.Net 2.0 to be regstered in IIS.Hope that helps,Kashif...

using Visual Web Developer 2005 with .NET 1.1.4322
I currently am using ASP.NET Web Matrix (Build 812) and am moving forward, but would really like to use VWD2005 for the more advanced editing/IDE features.  can I load both versions of .NET on my development server? any issues to look out for? is this recommended or should I wait until my web app runs on 2.0? thanks... You can use both Web Matrix and VWD 2005 on the same development machine. Let us know about your application in bit more detailRegards, Narayana Rao Surapaneni Architect | Author | MCSD for .NET | MCSD | SCJP www.msdeveloper.info thanks - well it's an asp.net web...

Migrating DNN 3.1.1. to use VS.net 2005 give errors
I follow the Readme carefully extracting the DNN files, create the virtual directory, create the DotNetNuke database on SQL and editted the web.config file appropriatelyHere comes the problems: After I openend DotNetNuke.sln file, the VS.net 2005 migration wizard took me through the steps in upgrading my solution with the following errors ERROR: Unable to find codebehind file ~/admin/Containers/container.vb. ERROR : Unable to parse file portals\_default\containers\_default\no container.ascx. ERROR: Unable to find codebehind file ~/admin/Containers/container.vb. ERROR : Una...

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

is it possible to use .net 1.1 with VS.NET 2002?
Is it at all possible to use .net framework 1.1 with vs.net 2002 i.e. the original VS.NET? or do i have to upgrade to vs.net 2003 to take advantage of the intellisense of new properties/methods etc. that 1.1 offers? Thanks,Kulin Parikh -- The more I learn about the Internet, the more amazed I am that it works at all. I upgraded the framework to 1.1 and had no problems, everything worked fine on VS.NET 2002. How exactly did you upgrade? I had a **** problem. After i installed .net 1.1, it still took the .net 1.0 files as the default even after running aspnet_regiis -ua and aspnet_reg...

Migration issues in UI portion of .Net 1.1 from VS 2003 to VS 2005
Hi there, We are trying to migrate VS2003 app (client and web app) into VS 2005. We were successful compiling the application. But when we try to run the app from Web it gives us the following error: Unable to locate the file containing one of the providers referenced in web.config.  Please check your file and correct the errorCould not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\DDDD\UI\bin\some..dll' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified. Everything seems to be going well but I am not sure what I need to do.Thanks JOhn   Hi John - Is the client app ...

Using Visual Studio.NET 2005 with .NET Framework 1.1
I'm wondering how easy it is to use Visual Studio.NET 2005 to develop with the .NET Framework 1.1. The 2005 IDE is superior to the VS 2003 IDE (especially in terms of HTML editing), and I would like to switch over in the future. However, my project is not quite ready to be converted to .NET 2.0. Can anyone direct me to an article on this or have any advice? Thanks, Allen K. There are 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't. Did you get an answer to this one? I would like to know the same..Thanks! The VS 2005 IDE was created to...

best method to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Hi, There is an article on this, right on this site. Check this Hope it hel...

best practices to migrate from .net 1.0 to .net 1.1
hi, i have windows xp pro running iis 5.1. i have an intranet site running under iis. i made this site using VS.NET 2002 under .NET framework 1.0.3705. Now i want to upgrade me .NET frame work to version 1.1. , but i still want to use VS.NET 2002 for programming and maintaining the site. How do i do this without the upgrade affecting my already deployed website. A step by step procedure to migrate from version 1.0.3705 to version 1.1 would be quite helpful. Thanks in advance, Raja. Well, at least take a look at this doc about running v1.0 and 1.1 side-by-side h...

NET Framework 1.1 in VS Web Express 2005
Dear sirs, I was tried developer with VS NET 2003 and VS Web Dev. Express 2005 Beta 2. I hat VS 2003! Webforms for insert controls with toolbox, auto codebehind, etc.I like VS WDE 2005 Beta 2! It's much more easy who VS 2003! Insert controls with toolbox in code, etc.But my host enterprise works with NET Framework 1.1... no app_code, etc...It's possible woks with NET 1.1 using VS Web Dev Express 2005? Ho do I do to make this?I'm sorry by my poor english! :-)Thank you so much!RAMON ROCHAfrom Brazil Hello Ramon, The answer to your question is no. VWD 2K5 is tied to .net 2 and ...

Web resources about - Can you use VS 2005 for .NET 1.1 Web Development? - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Doha Development Round - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Doha Development Round or Doha Development Agenda ( DDA ) is the current trade-negotiation round of the World Trade Organization (WTO) which ...

Flemington apartment development plan has serious issues: state architect
Plans for a sprawling high-rise apartment development on land at Flemington Racecourse – put forward by the Victoria Racing Club and a ...

3 Mobile Development Lessons to Take from LinkedIn’s New App Design
New app versions are born every day, but when a tech giant such as LinkedIn releases a new version of its mobile entity , the world pays extra ...

Watch 10 years of Toro Rosso F1 development in 60 seconds
Filed under: Motorsports , Videos Scuderia Toro Rosso released this fascinating video showing the evolution of its F1 cars over the past ten ...

Yahoo putting huge Santa Clara development site up for sale - Silicon Valley Business Journal
Amid turmoil at the once-mighty Internet giant, Yahoo is putting the word out that it will part with a valuable parcel of land in Santa Clara ...

Kobe Bryant praises Jae Crowder’s development with the Boston Celtics
Jae Crowder’s progression from spare part in Dallas to key player in Boston hasn’t gone unnoticed by Kobe Bryant

An Xbox One port of Subnautica is in development
... I can badger into playing just shot up. A few days ago, Unknown Worlds developer Charlie Cleveland tweeted out a photo of an Xbox One development ...

Digitimes Research: Korea pushing new in-cell touch panel developments
... has reached one micron level electronic linewidth used in roll-to-roll printing, which will help push Korean makers' in-cell touch panel developments ...

Helium Launches New IoT Sensor Development Kit
The new Helium Sensor Development Kit helps accelerate time to market for IoT developers and enterprise solution providers.