2.0 web site and 1.1 Web Project

We converted a 1.1 solution to a 2.0 solution. All of our projects that are for the UI seem to be web applications, ie. they have a csproj file and the dll matches the name name of the project as the dll name. For example mywebsite.dll. There is one assembly. However when I right click on the root of the project in VS 2005 I get a convert to web application projet option we are using VSS. Why is this so to me it looks as though it is already a web application (because of the presence of the csproj file). If it were a web site from the .net 2.0 model then it would make sense ie. we can change it back. But the website model does not use csproj files and the dlls always have that funny naming stucture. myWebsiteabdj_ejdb.dll for example. Anybody shed some light on this?

Regards,

Pete

Peter Heard
0
peter_heard01

 Even after you convert a web site to a web application the "convert to web application" option still appears. I think this is a bug with the IDE, but I've converted several web sites to web applications and always noticed that myself.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."
0
DarthSwian
9/29/2008 11:23:43 AM

Sorry you say you've converted many web sites to web applications? Is isnt that the wrong way round since web sites in asp.net 2.0 and web application is from the 1.1 universe?

Cheers for the reply anyway does seem a bit odd that the option shows up when the project shows signs of still being a web application anyway. According to some tech specs i read there is a slight diffference between the actual web application project in 2.0 and 1.1 maybe thats the reason that the option is still there....can anyone else shed some light on this?

Pete

Peter Heard
0
peter_heard01
9/30/2008 7:41:49 AM

 Nope, 2008 brought back the web application and one of the main difference I see as in source control is web applications can be branched and merged where web sites cannot.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side."
0
DarthSwian

By default, the Visual Studio 2005 Web project conversion wizard does not create the designer file for Web page. To migrate your code to use partial-class model, we can use "Convert to Web Application", which iterates through each page and moves all control declarations to .designer file, and adds event handler declarations to the server-control markup in the .aspx.

We also can use the use "Convert to Web Application"  on individual aspx pages which doesn't use designer file.

This "Convert to Web Application" is available even though it is Web Application already. This is helpful for us if we add external page to Web Application.

It would be better that we backup the pages and build it successfully before using this option.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thomas Sun
Microsoft Online Community Support

Thomas
10/2/2008 6:35:40 AM

oh i see that makes sense now so they are a web application in .net 2.0 style but still using 1.1 architecture that makes sense. I assume you single dll would dissappear if you did the convert to web application option in that case. Well in any case I guess 'if it aint broke dont try and fix it' would be the best apprach here. No point converting everything to partial classes unless a clear benefit....

Cheers Guys...

Pete

Peter Heard
0
peter_heard01

Web Project converted from 1.1 VS2003 to 2.0 VS2005
Hi,  this is a few questions really My site was originally in .Net 1.1 and was converted to 2.0 and then I used the 'convert to web application' option in VS2005 to keep the same model with a single dll.  The site is used by IE, Firefox and Safari.  Also I have kept a browsercaps section in the web.config (BrowserCaps update for modern browsers, http://slingfive.com/pages/code/browserCaps/) (which I think is maybe just needed in .Net 1.1)  Here's my questions; 1.  My site does not have any .browser files?  Does it need them and can anyone...

Converting 1.1 Web Project to a 2.0 Web Application Project, then and now...
Hey all, I hope I can explain this correctly, as I am completely lost as to what was and is going on. About 6-8 months ago, I installed VS2005 Professional on my notebook and got the VS2005 WAP conversion installation, which was a seperate add on at the time. I took a couple small 1.1 applications and as I recall pointed to the .vbproj file and allowed the conversion wizard to do it's thing and then went through the output fixing all the code which was no longer 2.o compliant (ie. Like the SMTP class changes).  Now, on my Desktop I was told to install VS2005 Team System and patc...

Making a .NET 1.1 Web Project .NET 2.0 enabled
We were able to use such things as  below in the InstantASP forum source code.  I'm trying to do the same with Presstopia but it errors out when putting the below in their web.config. <machineKey validationKey="..." decryptionKey="..." validation="SHA1" decryption="3DES" />So what did InstantASP have to do to make their 1.1 code able to use machinekey then if it's not a .NET 2.0 application?  I want to do the same for Presstopia.   I figure there are general things you can do to allow a 1.1 app to make it able to ...

HELP Running a web-site with .NET 2.0 and NET 1.1
Hi evreybody,  I have a HUGE problem. I running a website that I have just created with ASP .NET 2.0 technology, well within my web site there is an web application that needs to run under V1.1. I'm using IIS 6.0 and I was wondering to see if anybody can help me run my new site, and run that web app at the same time. Basically is two sites within one web directory, the way you acces both sites is by the same link, just one is ROOT/default aspx (V2.0) and the other is Root/webapp/default.aspx (v1.1) can anybody help me... :( THANK you you will have to define them as two separate w...

Can a .NET 1.1 page execute in a .NET 2.0 web site?
I've got a ASP.NET 1.1 web site to which I would like to add some ASP.NET 2.0 web pages. Could I just change the web site to point to the 2.0 .NET version and still have the .NET 1.1 web pages work so that both versions are in the same web site? Have you some of you approached this? Thanks. The official answer is maybe It's not officially supported, but most ASP.NET 1.1 pages will run fine under ASP.NET 2.0.  Officially you should run the upgrade wizard on your 1.1 pages. This is a  pretty good blog entry.      JamesMy Blog: http://www.wintersfamily.plus.c...

Convert v 1.1 Web application to 2.0 Web site?
Hi - I migrated the asp.net 1.1 portal start kit to asp.net 2.0 as a web application in VS 2005. This seems to have worked out fine. Now I would like to be able to work on this project at home on my laptop where I only have Visual Web Developer Express. The problem is that when I build the project in Visual Web Developer Express - I can't figure out how to compile my asp.net 1.1 codebehind files. As I understand it, a Web site project does not build the site .dll in the bin directory as before. I have not yet updated my files as partial classes - is this all I need to do? Visual Web...

autocomplete not working in IE7 after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5
IE7 autocomplete not working after web app was migrated from .NET 1.0/1.1 to .NET 3.5. OS: Windows XP. Autocomplete worked fine on IE6 and IE7 before migration.  Is there anything thats needs to be configured on the server for IE7 autocomplete to work with the new migrated 3.5 application?  Appreciate the feedback         How are you impleneting Autocomplete? Can you show us problem causing code..My Blog"Don't be afraid to be wrong; otherwise you'll never be right." there is no autocomplete implementation. This is purely using...

error in converting a framework 1.1 vb.net web site to framework 2.0
  I am trying to convert a framework 1.1 vb.net web site to framework 2.0 site, and it's not possible to rewrite it.  I have gone through the convertion wizard and compliled successfully. Sound great so far. However, when I run the page via the virtual web server, I get a error message said, "Parser Error Message: Could not load type BizWeb.WebPages.DefaultSettings.FeeForm"   Did anyone exprience this problem when doing convertion? Please share some experience to me.   Thanks in advance!   vcllvc  Hi, One way: Go to IIS manager, right click...

Problem with Project Migrating from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi i am working in .net 1.1 and i am working on a web service. it 's working fine in .net 1.1 with vs2003 but when i migrated my WS from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 i am getting System.FormatException while converting datetime from string using DateTime.Parse method. it was not happening earlier when i was using .net 1.1. My WS converted from vs2003 to vs2005 using a wizard and it doesn's shows a single error.   i did lots of googling on this issue but didnot gets any help , so any reply in the matter will be highly appericiable.  thanks vishal sharma vishalsharma808...

Sharing cookie between .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 web app
I have two servers A and B.  A hosts .NET 1.1 web apps, while B hosts .NET 2.0 web apps.  I have a common login page written in .NET 2.0 (thus it's on server B).  In order to share the cookie, I set the machine key attributes (validation and encryption) of all apps to the same keys, and set all .NET 2.0 web apps to use decryption="3DES".  But for some reasons, my .NET 1.1 still cannot read the cookie generated by the .NET 2.0 login page.  Anyone has similar problem before?  Am I missing anything? Thanks. WenWen I am afraid you can only share t...

System.Web.Extensions and Microsoft Ajax Library 1.0 migrating down to .NET 1.1?
Hi, Is there any chance to use MS Ajax Lib 1.0 under ASP.NET 1.1? (We must use 1.1, so in the nearest futres migrating to 2.0 seems to impossible :( ) but if it's possible to use Ajax Lib (not the 3rd party stuffs) that will be excelent... Please let me know if you have any suggestions how to do that,   thx: KornelJSYSTEM from Hungary You can only use the Client Side library with VS2003. The Server Side only works with Asp.net 2.0Long Live .NETKazi Manzur Rashid (Amit)_________________________Web: http //dotnetshoutout.comBlog: http://weblogs.asp.net/rashidTwitter...

Web resources about - 2.0 web site and 1.1 Web Project - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005

Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
For the urban low-income housing buildings called projects, see public housing . For other uses, see Project (disambiguation) . The word project ...

The Project Shrink - Welcome To Shrinkonia.
... about the importance of the environment we work in and the stories we tell, we should have a Set Designer and a Storyteller on our projects. ...

Better Projects
I think this book by Tobias is beautifully written. There is real craftmanship in the prose here. The book is made up of independent self contained ...

Carrie Bickmore left mortified after 'Big Breast League' gaffe on The Project
First it was Emma Alberici. Now Carrie Bickmore has also fallen victim to an embarrassing on-air gaffe. The Project host jumbles her words on ...

16 Photography Projects for 2016
Maybe you've decided that your goal this year is to improve your photography. One of the best ways is to start one of the many photography projects ...

China’s United PV Secures $1.5 Billion Funding To Acquire Solar Power Projects
One of China’s rapidly emerging solar power project developers and operators, United PV, has secured a fresh credit line to expand its footprint ...

Apple plans new Reno data center, calls it Project Huckleberry
... Technology Park in Nevada by building a new data center adjacent to its current one. The company filed a permit with Washoe County for “Project ...

Nat Geo’s ‘StarTalk’ Renewed, Projects From Scott Rudin, Sebastian Junger & More — TCA
Nat Geo announced a renewal for StarTalk , a third season premiere date for Cesar 911 and projects from Scott Rudin and Sebastian Junger among ...

Sony trademarks mystery game project 'Days Gone'
In the days between Christmas and New Year, Sony quietly registered a new trademark for a new project entitled Days Gone . Filed under Classes ...

Declassified: Military's Secret Cold War Space Project
A newly released treasure trove of historical data reveals intriguing details about a secret Cold War project known as the Manned Orbiting Laboratory. ...