'multiple definitions and identical signatures' in a designer.vb file

We're trying to migrate our xsd files so I added a new Dataset to the App_Code folder. It generated a designer.vb file and when I try to build the project I get the following error: 'Public Sub New()' has multiple definitions with identical signatures.

The only solution I've seen posted is to remove the multiple definitions, but which ones? and why is it generating them in the first place?

0
jmacalister

I guess you should look into the class file (MyXSD.vb) of your XSD. You see it when you expand the XSD in the Solution Explorer. There might be two constructors which don't have parameters. Remove one of them.

Nils Gruson
Microsoft .NET Consultant (MCPD)
Logica

You don't have to be sick to get better.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helped you keep your job.
0
ngruson
8/14/2007 8:25:44 PM

That's what we did when we had these types of errors before, but this time there isn't a MyXSD.vb file, just the MyXSD.designer.vb (and the .xsc and .xss files).

0
jmacalister
8/14/2007 8:35:34 PM

In Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition, i get a very similar problem 'Multiple Definitions' / 'Identical Signatures' etc.

The problem occurs when I create a new Linq to SQL object and drag two or three related tables onto the design surface.

Between 20 and 40 errors occur, depending on which tables i drag.

Is it some kind of bug or limitation in the code that automatically generates the DataContext VB code?

- Anyone get the same problem, or know of a solution?

0
vincent_ohare
1/5/2008 5:57:03 PM

You probably have a solution by now but see

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=312528&wa=wsignin1.0

Basically you have to move your dataset.xsd from the APP_CODE folder to the ROOT folder...and it solves the problem. For me this error occurred after upgrading from ASP.NET 3.5 Beta to the normal released version.

HTH

Tushar Smile

0
Tushar101
3/7/2008 1:57:50 AM

no this creates another set of errors! I moved the dataset.xsd back to the APP_CODE folder and then deleted

<configuration xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/.NetConfiguration/v2.0">

 from the web.config file and it's all OK now.

Tushar

0
Tushar101

IDE > 'Class View' > 'go to definition' > show .xsd file as .vb file and not .vs file ????
This morning I was using 'Class View' in the IDE to look at the code behind a 'DataSet.xsd' I created. For the most part the 'generated file' (when i right click the object and select 'go to definition') opens as a .cs file (from the ...\'Temporary ASP.NET Files' folder\...).I was investigating a couple of different classes I had created and at some point I noticed, I swear, I had some of these files opened as .vb files (my preference)....but I don't know how that happened...it just occured to me after a while that I was reading vb. So wa...

Error 'Type 'SqlConnection' is not defined' in VS2005/aspx.vb files
 I defined the following connection string (strConn) and coded "Dim oConn As New SqlConnection(strConn)".In this VS 2005/ASP.net 2.0 program, 'SqlConnection' was underlined and showed 'Type SqlConnection is not defined' error.   What wrong with my VS 2005/ASPnet 2.0 coding, or SQL Server 2000 database configuration? TIA,Jeffrey connectionString="Data Source=webserver;Initial Catalog=Ssss;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=WWW;Password=wwwwwwww"providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" Did you make sure to import the correct n...

VS2005 VB.Net 'EventArgs' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System'. Errors.
Hi guys,  I've searched and searched and can't find the fix for this.  I am recieving the max number of errors for my ASP.Net project.  The errors are simply stated as something like the title.  Other ones are: 'DebuggerNonUserCodeAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Diagnostics'. 'EventArgs' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System''CompilierGlobalScopeAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Runtime.CompilierServices'.'SerializationInfo' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Runtime.Serialization'  Most of the errors are comming up in files th...

BC30269: Method 'Page_Load' has multiple definitions with identical signatures
I'm starting not to autoevenwireup my pages.... so I know i need use Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load as the start of my Page_Load bubroutine, but I get an error. BC30269: Method 'Page_Load' has multiple definitions with identical signatures Why? Multiple definitions?? WHERE!? Thx in adv. "Only when we are no longer afraid do we begin to live" -D. Thompson // f bush. ----------- "No man succeeds without a good woman behind him. Wife or mother, if it is both, he is twice...

.aspx '.designer.vb' file not showing up as child of .aspx page in 'Solution Explorer'
When I view my .aspx pages in solution explorer, it has a tree view to expand and collapse elements.  With a .aspx page in solution explorer, expanding it will then show that there are (2) associated files:  Default.aspx.vb and Default.aspx.designer.vb. Something unusual is happening in my project where the .vb code behind file shows up as a child element of the .aspx page, but the deisgner.vb file does not. The designer.vb file is up one level in the same directory as the .aspx page. This is not causing any issues with the app by the way; it runs just fine.  Aslo, dragging t...

''''''''''''''''''''

PB11 migration no 'definition for 'SetUserName''
I migrated my 10.5 client app. I was able to run it in PB11. Tried to migrate it to a Web Forms application (with some code tweaks) but I get error CS0117: 'Sybase.PowerBuilder.Web.PBSession' does not contain a definition for 'SetUserName'. Looks like it may have to do with the app Login as the beginning of the error line is Login.aspx.cs(19,29). Will this point me to something? Thanks, Is SetUserName a method or global function you have created and are invoking in your application? Is it an external function call? On 13 Jun 2007 14:29:54 -0700, Jay wrote: ...

'''''

Is Delimiter ':' or '$' VS2003
Is the delimiter assigned to a system field that I can look at and output?  I am having a weird issue where the web service is looking for a different delimiter based on which server I am on. -smc   ~ Remember To Mark The Posts Which Helped You As The ANSWER ~ I know that system wise you can find this value by looking in the control panel and clicking on the "Regional and Language Options" from there you hit the "Customize" button under the "Regional Options" tab. The value will be named "List Separator" under the "Numbers&quo...

could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design' or one of its dependencies.The located assembl' manifest definitation does not match the assembly reference.
 Hi All,  I have got problem while deploying in windows server 2003.When I run deployed site I get this error,The error message is "could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Extensions.Design' or one of its dependencies.The located assembl' manifest definitation does not match the assembly reference." Please help me to find the solution. Regards,Shiva Reddy.P v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} ..shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} Normal 0 false...

I've made all my aspx's codebehind classes derive from a custom class... now VB won't let me edit my files in design view!
What should i do?? The designer must be able to instantiate the base class and invoke visible properties. Common problems are: 1) Base class is not compiled Solution: Build the project Solution: Put base classes in a separate assembly that is compiled and referenced (highly recommended) 2) Base class is abstract Solution: make the base class non-abstract 3) Base class throws an exception in the constructor when designer tries to create it Solution: Use logic so code is not executed (Site or Context is useful for this) Solution: Use exception handler to ensure const...

error with pop calendar " 'files' does not contain a definition for 'PopCalendar1_SelectionChanged'"
i hv import this above my masterpg <%@ Register Assembly="RJS.Web.WebControl.PopCalendar" Namespace="RJS.Web.WebControl" TagPrefix="rjs" %> how can i solve this error?/ pls help me It looks like you may have double clicked on the control or something which would insert a handler SelectionChanged="PopCalendar1_SelectionChanged" in the master page or page, but the function is missing from your code-behind. The other possibility is that you registered the assembly on the master page, but the control is inserted in the .aspx page.  If ...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

'Prettier' Emails/Multiple 'To'
Has anyone developed/found an email template that's, well, prettier than wh= at BZ currently sends? Which is pretty much just a text file with the singl= e change that was made... Secondly, is there a way to tell BZ to put all cc's in the same 'to' field = for the emails? At the moment, if there are 5 recipients of an email, it se= nds 5 different emails, as opposed to sending one email to five people. It = makes it hard to reply-all and get everyone on the same email. Has anyone e= lse fixed this? Considered it an inconvenience? ~Britt __________________________...

Web resources about - 'multiple definitions and identical signatures' in a designer.vb file - asp.net.migrate-vs2003-vs2005