Unicode became "???" when putting ASP.NET 2.0 code under virtual directory of ASP.NET 1.1

Hi,

I am using Windows 2003, IIS 6, Atlas and Web Service.

I have set up a website using ASP.NET 2.0 framework, and put that under a virtual directory with its own Application Pool and web.config.  The virtual directory is under a website built with ASP.NET 1.1 framework.  Everything works well, except when displaying unicode, which turned into a bunch of "?".

However, when I create a new website and put the same exact code in there, the unicode turned out correctly.  It's also fine when I use the built-in Visual Studio 2005 web server.

This is what I do to display unicode:

Encoding iso = Encoding.GetEncoding(1252); //data is stored in sql server 2k that accept windows-1252
Encoding isouser = Encoding.GetEncoding(950); //data is originally big5, so need to convert back to big5
byte[] unicodeBytes = iso.GetBytes(text);
return isouser.GetString(unicodeBytes); //return the string and pass toAtlas to display

I need to do such conversion because if I don't convert to readable text before sending it over via Atlas and Web Service, it sends whatever gibberish you see in the database and changing browser encoding setting to view text doesn't help.

Is this a bug?  Does putting ASP.NET 2.0 under ASP.NET 1.1 cause problem normally?

Thanks!

Janh

0
Janh
12/20/2005 8:27:26 PM
asp.net.localization 2171 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You are getting character conversion you may need to do unicode encoding in VS and do column level collation in the database with unicode data types in SQL Server.  Try the link below for unicode encoding in VS and run a search for column level collation in SQL Server BOL (books online).  I am assuming you know there are many Chinese character code pages in SQL Server.  Hope this helps.

http://www.aspnetresources.com/blog/unicode_in_vsnet.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

.Net 1.1 with .Net 2.0 virtual directory using AJAX "Sys undefined"
I'm having an issue running an AJAX app I built, I think I might know what the problem might be, but if so, I am not sure how to fix it. The main site is built with 1.1 and new application is 2.0.  I have the new application configured properly (as far as I can tell) in its own app pool, etc..  The app runs just fine (I have other 2.0 apps that run along side the main 1.1), but I am getting an error: "Sys undefined...."  I've checked to enusre the mappings for the .axd extension for this particular VD are pointing to the correct place as ...

"Error loading XML file :\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705"...does this mean v.1.1 code trying to run in a v.1.0 app?
I uploaded some new files into my existing third-party hosted site, including a .DLL into \BIN\, which is running AS.NET v.1.0. I got the following error message when browsing to one of the pages using the code in the namespace defined in the DLL: Error loading XML file c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config Request for the permission of type System.Security.Permissions.StrongNameIdentityPermission, mscorlib, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089 failed. (c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.0.3705\Config\machine.config) ...

Code works with .Net 1.1 but not .Net 2.0
Can anyone offer any suggestions as to why this code would work under .Net 1.1 and not .Net 2.0? I listed the error I receive below, also. Line 865. Thank you, Public Function GetAge(ByVal Birthdate As System.DateTime, _ Optional ByVal AsOf As System.DateTime = #1/1/1700#) _ As Integer Dim iMonths As Integer Dim iYears As Integer Dim dYears As Decimal Dim lDayOfBirth As Long Dim lAsOf As Long Dim iBirthMonth As Integer Dim iAsOFMonth As Integer If AsOf = "#1/1/1700#" Then AsOf = DateTime.Now End If lDayOfBirth = DatePart(DateInterval.Day, Birthdate) lAsOf = DatePart(DateInterval.Day, AsOf) iBirthMonth = DatePart(DateInterval.Month, Birthdate) iAsOFMonth = DatePart(DateInterval.Month, AsOf) iMonths = DateDiff(DateInterval.Month, Birthdate, AsOf) dYears = iMonths / 12 iYears = Math.Floor(dYears) If iBirthMonth = iAsOFMonth Then If lAsOf < lDayOfBirth Then iYears = iYears - 1 End If End If Return iYears End Function Error: Conversion from string "#1/1/1700#" to type 'Date' is not valid. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the err...

Hi All Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? Cheers Chris Burrell Hi Chris, There is no release of ASE ADO.NET Provider 2.0 (I assume you refer to ASE provider, not ASA - if ASA please port to sybase.public.sqlanywhere.general). For the 1.1 Provider: It is available in the ASE SDK for windows or the PC Client CDRom included with ASE product. On the SDK its available as 12.5.1 and 15.0 On ASE PC Client I think 12.5.1 is part of ASE 12.5.X and 15.0 is part of ASE 15.X 2.0 provider should release sometime this summer - there is a beta program - look in the sybase.public.connectivity.adonet.beta newsgroup for details -Paul <Chris Burrell> wrote in message news:466ea680.5729.1681692777@sybase.com... > Hi All > > Does anyone know where I can get the Sybase drivers for > ADO.NET for both versions, 1.1 and 2.0/3.0? > > Cheers > Chris Burrell ...

.NET 1.1 to 2.0 "remember me" checkbox no longer works
I have a site I recently updated to ASP.NET 2.0 from 1.1 and everything works fine (with minimal fiddling) except the remember me check box on the log in page.  I use custom forms authentication.  Web.config defines the timeout as 60 minutes: <forms name="NIDB1AuthCookie" protection="All" timeout="1" loginUrl="Login.aspx" cookieless="UseCookies" />And in the login.aspx.cs file I have it check the checkbox to see if its checked and then manually set the cookie to expire in 30 days.  if (cbRememberMe.Checked){ //Set cookie to expire in 30 days if user checks the remem...

having .net 1.1 and .net 2.0
Was just wondering if you someone could tell me the ramifications of the following:  I have .net 2.0 but did not uninstally .net 1.1, i have visual studio 2003, and visual web developer installed on the computer as well as sql server 2000.  my question is whether that is a problem having the two runtimes installed at the same time?  i did this because i wanted to use VWD but keep vs 2003 in case i needed to do any development for work....any comments are appreciated.  --jpIf my post is helpful please mark as answerRegards -- jp(http://www.rzrsolutions.com/rzrWeb20/...

.net 2.0 to .net 1.1
Hello , This is shrirang. Currently i am working .net2.0 web application. but the same application is runing on production in .net 1.1 freamwork . we are not using any new feature of 2.0 in our application . can i run build of 2.0 on 1.1 freamwork . if yes can you  please tell me necessary steps to achive it .     Thanks in advance for your kind help     Regards Shrirang i think it is not possible to run the 2.0 application in 1.1 , so try to change to the frame work in the production server . ThanksRaja Ragothaman Hi Shrirang, Please contact web adm...

Conversion of code from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0 posing a problem
Originally Posted by Akshay_Jadhav on the Microsoft Interoperability - Technical Interoperability Scenarios forumHI,I have converted .net 1.1 code to .net 2.0 using .net wizard. i have radiobutton whose checked property is set to false on page load, on clicking of a button on that page checked property of radiobutton is set to true and a dropdownlist is enabled. when i select some value in dropdownlist the page is posted back and checked property of radiobutton is again set to false(automatically) which is wrong, it should be true. Same code is working fine in .net 1.1,when i select som...

Method "UrlPathEncode" available in .NET 1.1 but VS.NET 2003 not seeing it
I'm trying to reference HttpUtility.UrlPathEncode(SomeStr) in my VB code but I get a build error saying "'UrlPathEncode' is not a member of 'System.Web.HttpUtility'."I've included "Imports System.Web.HttpUtility" at the codebehind page though it won't build. Appearently, when I use HttpUtility.UrlPathEncode(SomeStr) in a page with no codebehind page, it is interpreted fine. Is this because I am trying to build the code behind using VS.Net2003? Is there a way around this short of creating these pages with no code behind?King Hi Kelder, I think it should be ser...

Can anyone tell me the diff between .net framework versions "1.1.4322.573" and "1.1.4322.903"
Production environment is running 1.1.4322.573 Pre Production environments are running 1.1.4322.903 We are seeing some javascript errors that are only happening in our production environment. All of our pre production environments for testing, development and what not seem to be running fine. We get the generic client side error that says which line, which char number and the brief description. The actuall error states "Expected ';' " . Here is the line of code that it's complaining about. "theform = document._ctl6:Form1;" This is microsoft ge...

When using <identity impersonate="true"> in .NET 1.1, and 2.0 is there some differences?
When setting <identity impersonate="true"> in .NET 1.1, and 2.0, is there some differences that I should be aware of? Will identity impersonate act differently in .Net 1.1 vs .Net 2.0, both using IIS 6.0? Is there an article I can read that will explain this if its true? Thanks, xyz789          Try this: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998351.aspx specifically, the what's new in 2.0 section of that page: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998351.aspx#paght000023_whatsnew Rachel AppelMVP - ASPInside...

Retrograding httpHandler from .NET 2.0 to 1.1, get "Parser Error Message: Could not create type" message
Hi there,I have written a httpHandler using VS2005 and .NET 2.0 that builds and works fine.However, I am now having to convert it to .NET 1.1, which I hoped would just be a case of changing the runtime used by the web app (as in running the 1.1 version of aspnet_regiis, with a "-s" switch pointing at my web apps folder). After doing this though (and fixing a few minor differences with web.config), if I then navigate to my handler I get the following error message:Server Error in '/Path/To/MyWebApp' Application.Parser ErrorDescription: An error occurred during the parsing of...

.NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 on the same machine
Hi All, I have .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 framework on my machine.  Now, I want to uninstall .NET 1.1 to have more free HD space.  Please tell if I can do it without any trouble for the .NET 2.0? Thank you very much.  Pardon me for a newbie question.  elearner Start > Control Panel > Add remove programs > remove .NET Framework 1.1! Im sure its not taking up that much space tho!? :PDavid Kiffhttp://DavidKiff.co.uk-- "Mark As Answer" If my reply helped you -- Hi, Well I don't think it should cause any problem because of them are installed in seper...

.NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 on the same PC
I built my ASP.NET app and built it with .NET 1.1 I installed .Net 2.0 and now it will not function properly. How can I tell my App to use the .NET 1.1? Thanks for any help,Thank youJackxxx What tool are you using to code ASP.NET?Brian"Trust in the Lord and do what is good; dwell in the land and live securely. Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires" (Psalm 37: 3-4). The PC i am referring to is my test PC and it has no tools. But I used VS.net 2003 on my development PC. Thank you,Thank youJackxxx Hi, Unfortunately, you can not run two...

.Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 on the same webserver ?
Hi allCan you run .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 on the same webserver ? Does anybody do this currently and does both DNN 3.1.1 and the new dnn 4.0 work ok on this configuration ?/JohanFirstDev AB Affärssystem.net Yes, and Yes.John M. to elaborate a bit on that: yes, if you are using windows server 2003. You can select the .net version on a per application basis, however, you can only use one .net version per application pool. So just put your .net 2.0 applications in a different poolcheers,erikErik van Ballegoij, The Netherlands You can do it on XP Pro, or Windows 2000 Server also, you ...

coverting from .net 1.1 to .net 2.0
Hi All, Currently I'm facing a problem.I have an application that is built on ..net 1.1 using Vs2003.Its performance is so slow.So i want to add some partial updates to the page.How can I execute this in .net 1.1.In .net 2.0 we can use Ajaxtools, But .net 1.1 does't support ajaxtools.How to solve thgis problem.From where can I start?Please help me I'm struck in the middle.PLease forward me any sample codes You have. Thank you Hi, Why are you using VS2003. Convert your aplication in 2005/8 and use AJAX. Regards, Shahaji UThanks and Regards,Shahaji Udar.MCTS,Pune,IN...

Migration from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi All, Well i hoped that the migrating went smoother then is does so far. I had a few problem which i could fix with blogs from other developers, but i didn't find a good solution for this problem. Somehow i get the following error: "Make sure that the class defined in this code file matches the 'Inherits' attribute, and that it extends the correct base class" Well i worked very good before the migration. Some advise would be very welcome! Regards,Dennis van de Laarhttp://dennisv.net/Don't forget to mark the most helpful reply/replies as Answer. Maybe this post will hel...

Upgrading from .NET 1.1 to .NET 2.0
Hi,We write ASP.NET applications for a large UK organisation for which we have two servers - a dev server and a live intranet server.  I would like to convince management to upgrade the .NET framework from 1.1 to 2.0 (and incidently VS2003 to VS2005).If we install the new version of the dotnet framework, will there be any issues with our existing 1.1 applications?  If so, what will the issues likely to be?Your help is greatly appreciated.Ryan Penfold, Truro, UK. Two versions can coexist, so you shouldn't have any issues. So far we have not had any real issues with asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 existing together or being able to upgrade.  The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference.  I wrote a little about how to overcome this in my Blog, http://professionalaspnet.com/blogs/aspnet_blog/archive/2006/01/04/A_little_Debuggin_Tip.aspx.  Other than that, everything has been real nice.Chris LoveASP.NET 2.0 Your Visual Blueprint for developing Web Applications docluv wrote: The only issue I would say we had was with Infragistics and FreeTextBox.  they both reference images and javascript files that the Visual Studio stand alone web server can not reference. Good to know.  But keep in mind that using the "Cassini" web server (stand-alone version) via the File System for web development is only an option...

.net 2.0 v. .Net 1.1
Hi all:Im trying to figure out whether I should begin using 2.0 at this point.  Many people I spoke to have indicated that it may be too soon (for whatever reason-bugs, hosting availibility etc).  Can someone give the pros and cons at this point?  I just learned .net 1.1 and this would be the first time I've ever gone throught this sort of transition.  Also, what was frustrating about 1.1 is that some of the books that first came out had alot of problems with their code working.  Is there an authorotative book out yet with functioning examples?Any help would be ...

Hello,   I have a ASP.Net web application,written in VB.Net,developed on .Net Framework 1.0 .I am trying to port it on to .Net framework 1.1.   For achieving this,I follow the following steps-   1.Open the project using the .vbproj file. 2.I am prompted with the conversion message "Do you want to convert the solution and all projects to .Net framework  1.1....." 3.I click "Yes" 4.I assume that the project is now converted. 5.I build the project & try to run it. 6.I get the following error -     Server Error in '/Consert.Net' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Could not load type CONsERT.Net.Global'.Source Error: Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits="CONsERT.Net.Global" %> Source File: e:\inetpub\wwwroot\Consert.Net\global.asax    Line: 1 Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573   My project includes aspx and vb files, as well as some crystal report files.   Can anyone please help me? This is almost certainly a namespace case issue. I can't believe that you have a namespace CONsERT. The FCL is case sensitive, even if VB.NET isn't, so check all of your namespace declarations,...

LDAP Authentication .Net 1.0 code to .Net 2.0
A few years ago with help of Dunry (I think he wrote most of the LDAP part) we came up with the below C# that works in our environment. We now need to migrate this to .Net 2.0.Does anyone have any examples of something simliar that works in .Net 2.0? Thanks in advance.private void btnSubmit_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e)  {   if(Page.IsValid)   {    SearchDirectoryUsername(txtUsername.Text);   }  }  private void SearchDirectoryUsername(string username)  {   using ...

Web resources about - Unicode became "???" when putting ASP.NET 2.0 code under virtual directory of ASP.NET 1.1 - asp.net.localization