Garbage text in downloaded Excel file created off Aspx.net site.

Hi all!

We have an SQL database running on SQL Server 2005 from which we allow website visiters to download data in an Excel spreadsheet format.  However, certain European characters end up as garbage text in the resulting Excel file.   For example, the words  Dräxlmaier Automotive” display correctly in the Database and Dataset but in the Excel file display incorrectly as “Dräxlmaier Automotive”.

Here is what our programmers are doing:

1.      Fetch the records based on a Query

2.      Create a Dataset

3.      From that Dataset, export the data into an Excel file using the .Net built-in facilities. (our site is programmed in Aspx.Net)

Both the data in the Database and Dataset are ok (steps 1 and 2 above), the garbage text only appears when we write the data in to the Excel spreadsheet (step 3 above).

We are not sure where the exact problem arises, if we check the Excel file which the system generates and manually enter the same data in that Excel file then the text displays fine so the garbage text appears to occur when we transfer the data from the Dataset to the Excel file.

Not being the programmer myself, I tried reading some of the other posts but quickly found myself over my head.  I did notice that other posts displayed some of the programming code.  Do you guys need this?  I could ask the programmer to send what they have.  If so what do I ask them for exactly (so I don't have to post any unnecessary code)?

If anybody thinks that they know the answer without reviewing the code, then feel free to post your thoughts as well!

Thank you very very much!

Happy holidays!

0
Dave5126008
12/22/2006 3:55:38 PM
asp.net.localization 2171 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The reason for the character conversion is simple Excel require UTF 7 encoding in none English, so use the code I posted below.  Hope this helps.

http://forums.asp.net/thread/1423770.aspx

Kind regards,
Gift Peddie
0
Caddre

Creating local excel file from local text file
Hi I need to create a page that do the next task: I have a local text file, I need to read that file, make some work and create a local excel file. Any information would be appreciated! take it in steps... First, use the System.IO to read the text file. Second, do you need to create the .xls on the server or just to the client? You can use the ContentType to turn and HTML table into an Excel file, just stream it. If you need to create the xls on the SERVER thats another ballgame. You will need, I think, the Office tools and namespace to do this. Wel, I create the xls file with a HT...

How to Create an Automated Bot to download a file from local server using .Net
Hi,  I have got a requirement. We download a file daily from our local server in Excel file format and then process that data into our MS Access Mdb. The file needs authentication before download We have to do that manually, I was wondering if there is a possibility of automating that routine work. May be by creating Agents or Bots that on a given scheduled time, download the file from the server, export and process that without the intervention of a human. Is it possible? Can an automated bot/agent be developed to perform such tasks in VB.Net or VB etc. Are there any tailored so...

How to Create .mdb file from Excel file using C#.net
Hi all I want to create .mdb file that i have created excel feel from MS jet Database... through code behind Help me in this..  Regards RaviPlease click "mark as answer" if this post helped you. How to create an mdb file programmtically:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317881How to import Excel data into it: http://www.mikesdotnetting.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=79 Regards Mike [MVP - ASP/ASP.NET]My site...

What is .NET Passport in our .NET site and where can i download it?
and how can i use also?Parco LeeOwner + Webmaster + System Engineer + Professional ProgrammerSoftDweller Lab (a software laboratory)http://www.softdweller.comA professional laboratory for new technology softwares developing by .NET.http://www.nowlover.com Hi, ..NET Passport authentication is an authentication mechanism provided by Microsoft to utilize it in .net applications. It uses Microsoft's Passport ( a single sign on mechanism) to check the user's credentails (mostly hotmail.com or msn.com account). The facility is extended to any valid email id which is registered with passport...

How to Create an Excel File from VB.Net
VWD 2008 Express.  Visual Basic. Is it possible to build an Excel workbook from VB code behind an aspx page.  What do I need to do?  Can anyone provide a code sample?  Thanks.Dr. Douglas PruiettGood News Jail & Prison Ministrywww.goodnewsjail.org Not knowing your exact needs, this code sample from ASPNet101.com shows how to export from a Gridview to an Excel file http://www.aspnet101.com/aspnet101/aspnet/codesample.aspx?code=gvExportExcelDavid WierMCP/ASPInsiderASPNet101.com - where to look first!Please Vote for ASPNet101 - 'Best Community Resource'!Contro...

Creating an Excel file using VB.Net
Just after some help to create an Excel file using VB.Net please. I've had a bit of a hunt around but can't find an exact example of code that I'm after. I'm new to .Net and VB.Net and wanted to create and save records to an EXCEL file. I can translate from C# if need be. Thanks for any help. Hi Amelia99, welcome to the forums. Which version of Excell do you want to use? The latest version (2003) has xml possibilities and you can download a free SDK at the microsoft site that makes it quite easy to use with vs.net 2003. It makes new project templates and one of them is for ex...

Excel download and upload the downloaded excel feature issue in .Net 2.0
Hi, I have a .Net application (C#) which has excel download and upload feature.I have to implement downloading the excel and uploading the same excel in the SQL Server 2005 database. If anybody has worked on that feature, kindly guide me how to implement those features. When I try to upload a template with some values populated, it is getting populated in the database successfully. But when I try to download the excel through application and upload it, I could not open the connection. Getting "External table is not in the expected format" message. My connection string is ...

.net 1.1 to .NET 2.0 migration generates additional .aspx.xx files
 Hi all,when doing the upgrade in VS 2005 two more additional pages get created, aspx.designer.cs and aspx.resx, do I need to keep these files?Thanks  The designer and resx pages are normal - just ignore them.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a point and marks your thread as Resolved so we will all know you have been helped.  Refer below links regarding migration  http://webproject.scottgu.com/CSharp/Migration/Migration.aspx http://rextang.net/blogs/work/archive/2006/04/16/3645.aspx P...

Import an aspx file error .net 2008 web site.
I was trying to import an aspx file from an old .net 2008 PROJECT ( a project type web site to a  new web site type web application)  to a new WEB SITE TYPE project for .net 2008When i imported, i get this errors for each controls in the form. Could not load type 'test1'. C:\Development\DOTNET\GeneralInfo\test1.aspx >> Here test1 is the name of the aspx file<<That line is like this <%@ Page Language="vb" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeBehind="test1.aspx.vb" Inherits="test1" %>What is wrong here? Example this line...

Need tutorial on creating Excel File using VB.NET
I am trying to create a pipe "|" delimited excel file from my VB.NET application. I did a search and didn't find anything very useful. I will create the pipe delimited text string in code. I just need to write each text string into a different row in a spreadsheet. Then create the .xls file. I have done this previously with a .txt file, but from what I have read this is different when creating a .xls file. Does anyone have any good tutorials for this? Thanks.Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped you.This credits that member, earns you a po...

Net:Net:Net::LDAP::FAQ

SpreadsheetGear for .NET Release Candidate, a royalty free Microsoft Excel spreadsheet component for the Microsoft .NET Framework, is available for download.
9/12/2005 - SpreadsheetGear for .NET is a royalty free Microsoft Excel compatible spreadsheet component built by industry veterans for the Microsoft .NET Framework. SpreadsheetGear for .NET provides .NET Framework developers the tool they need to leverage the existing skills of Excel users by allowing these users to design reports, specify business rules, set up complex calculations and provide tables of data in a form in which they are both knowledgeable and comfortable. SpreadsheetGear for .NET features the fastest spreadsheet calculation engine available. All of Excel's financial, date, ...

"Error Creating Control" in VS.NET 2003 opening aspx files
Hi, I recently upgraded to VS.NET 2003 and when I open some of my aspx files some controls are not generated onscreen and I get a message where the control is supposed to be saying "Error Creating Control". When I hover over it it tells me that some tag is missing. Then I discovered that for some reason some characters in the source file are disappearing like instead of RUNAT=SERVER I get RUNAT=SEVER. I dont save the file and then check the original ASPX in notepad and the tag is correct and in VS.NET is not. How can I fix this? A co-worker does not have this problem on...

vb.net web project
Hi All, I have a situation in my web application whereby after accepting username & password from user I want to create a text file on web server and then upload it to somewhere via ftp? Any one can help me doing this please? Best Regards, Usman Why dont you have a Web Service on the server that creates the text file and then make an instance of it when someone login that is creating the file.Mikael Söderström...

Web resources about - Garbage text in downloaded Excel file created off Aspx.net site. - asp.net.localization

Downloaded (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It follows Napster from its rise in 1998, through the swarm of lawsuits that ensued and to its acquisition by Rhapsody in 2011. Some of those ...

Can I still use the Rooms app if I’ve already downloaded it? - Rooms für iPhone
Rooms will be closing its doors on December 23, 2015. After then the app will switch to read-only mode and you’ll no longer be able to post. ...

All sizes - (1) Shazam'd an REM song, (2) downloaded their best of, (3) listened it - Flickr - Photo ...

Downloaded - Trailer - YouTube
http://www.trailerobsessed.com A VH1 Documentary about the Downloading generation, and the global impact of peer-to-peer filesharing. The bands, ...

Google Maps for iPhone downloaded by 10m
Google Maps became the top free app in the Apple App Store just a few hours after it was released late on Thursday. Now, we know just how popular ...

HBO tracking down pirates who downloaded leaked Game of Thrones episodes
HBO sends out a flurry of take-downs and infringement notices after millions download leaked Game of Thrones episodes.

100 Bloody Acres one of the most illegally downloaded films
Nearly 2000 downloads per day turn Cairnes brothers' horror-comedy hit into piracy gold.

Downloaded Q&A w/ Janet Pierson, Alex Winters (Dir.) Sean Parker and Shawn Fanning (Napster) - YouTube ...
Q&A w/ Janet Pierson (SXSW), Alex Winters (Dir.) Sean Parker and Shawn Fanning after a screening of DOWNLOADED, a documentary about the creation ...

Xbox One to allow loaning, trading of downloaded games
Microsoft senior director Albert Penello says "that has to be part of the experience" eventually, along with subsidized console promotions

800K TV episodes and 350K movies downloaded per day on iTunes
... and WatchESPN have joined Apple TV. Plus, HBO GO and WatchESPN have joined Apple TV. Apple has this week revealed that iTunes users have downloaded ...