Web setup project to deploy a Web application to a target server

I am working on Visual Studio 2005 web setup..I need to customize installation address, scenario is as follows:

 I have web setup (.msi) on my machine..while installing the website, the setup is capturing current machine websites to install the website. I want to install the website on different server...I must be able give the IP address of my target server and expecting the websetup to install the website on target server.

Only websetup .msi is available on my current machine, i also have the access to target machine. Is there any way that would do my requirement?

Copy project, publish site will not do my requirement. I have to do installation only thru the websetup.

Thanks In Advance,

Chaits

0
chaits

To my knowledge msi does not support installing on other machines than the current machine. If it's not an option to copy the msi file to the target machine and run it from there (which would definitely do the trick), you should perhaps look into SMS (System Management Server) technologies. SMS lets you install on remote machines, but I don't know how that fits your setup.

0
Klaus

How to setup Windows authentication mode for a web application deployed using a web setup project ?
 Hi,I would like to know if it is possible to set up the authentication mode to "Windows Authentication" for a web application deployed on IIS using a web setup project from Visual Studio 2005 and also how to do that. I know that after deploying the web application using the MSI file I can manually edit the security settings from the IIS and set the authentication mode to "Integrate Windows authentication", but I would like to do this at deploy time. Since I was not able to do that, I tried an open-source project, Windows Installer XML v3.0 - this project ev...

Benefits of creating a Web Deployment project for a Setup project for a website vs a Web Setup project
I'm creating an installer for a website.The only thing I require as input from the user (in Custom Actions) is settings for the web.config. My initial approach was to create a Deployment project from my web project ans use this as input to the Setup project.Couldn't I use a Web Setup project instead of a Web Deployment + Setup project to do the same thing?Issues I have found with the Web Deployment is that I cannot edit it's contents at installation time, I'm taking user input at installation time to write to the web.config that the Installer uses but of course this file is embedded in the W...

Web Setup .msi promting for .NET Framework 3.5 on server install, but project targets Framework 2.0
I have an .asmx web service built in VS.NET 2008 that targets the .NET Framework 2.0.  I have a web setup project that packages the .asmx service into a .msi file.  When I copy the install file out to the server and try to install, it states: "This setup requires the .NET Framework version 3.5. Please install the .NET Framework and run this setup again...." I can not install the 3.5 Framework yet out on the server, so how can I reconfigure my setup project to know to only look for the .NET Framework 2.0?   Thank you!Thank you,  Nevermind.... As usual 2 sec...

Web setup projecte to install the web application other than c drive
Hi all,   I need suggestion how to make a web setup project of an web application to install at other than c drive.  Need help. Not able to do this. Regards        Hi, If i remember correctly the web setup project installs to a website + virtual directory.  If you have a virtual directory that is mapped to "D:\mywebsite", then when you choose that virtual from the drop down list (at install time), the deployment will use the d drive.  Matt go to Tool menu in the VS 2005 select option>> a option window will pop>>...

deploy web application on SBS 2003 via Web Setup Project
Hi, I created a web set up project to deploy an ASP .NET application to SBS 2003, and I set the 'VirtualDirectory' to websetup1. When I run the setup application on a SBS 2003, it creates websetup1 relative to 'companyweb'. I want to create websetup1 relative to 'Default Web Sites'. How can I do it? Thanks....

Web Setup Project versus Web Deployment Project
Is there some good article on when to use which project?Johan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================Please mark the most helpful reply/replies as "Answer". Hello, You could check here - http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2005/11/06/429723.aspx Actually you can easily configure the WebSetup project to pipe in the output from your WebSiteDeployment project into the MSI. RegardsWindows Hosting ASP.NET | Top ASP.NET Hosts | Dedicated Windows Hosting ThanxJohan TheunissenMCPD, MCSE, MCTS BizTalk 2006==============================...

How to improve the execution speed of a web application installed using web setup project
 I have installed my asp.net web application using web setup project ,then it seemed to be very very slow.(take too much time load each pages)but it works very well on visual studio 2005 by using F5. please give me a good solution for improving the execution of web application that installed by using web setup(asp.net2.0)    .net bother Make sure you set up the project on Release mode.Thanks and Regards,Saravana Prakash P.http://saravanaprakashp.blogspot.comTrust in Technology Websetup do not affect the performance of the application. Following are list of c...

so confused, different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project
I am so confused. Want to know what is the different between Web Deployment Project and Web Setup Project. I have already completed a web application project. What am i going to use? Deployment or Setup?Thanks so much in advance!Justin so far i know both is useful.to get the best compile options use web deploy project.to install the web on other machine/deliver to user, use web setup project (that containing web deploy project output). Thanks Trance...

Web Deployment Project / Setup Project and editable web.config
I'm working on an installer for a website. The Installer will prompt the user for the web settings such as as various AppSettings. How would you recommend implementing this? Below I describe my initial thoughts but they seem over complicated !!!! My first idea is to created the Web Deployment Project and create a web.config section overwrite file, and then using it in the usual manner to overwrite the web.config appSettings section at installation time.Property Pages->Deployment section to "appsettings=appsettings.config"Then to make this appsettings.config file editable by a Custom ...

How to deploy web project in VS 2005 using web setup project
I have developed a new .NET Web application in C#. It is working find in localhost, i want to deploy the application to the production server. Please let me know what are the steps i need to follow to create an MSI file with VS.NET Installer in VS 2005. When i am trying to create a websetup project with a new solution option, it is not giving me the primary output file selection, i mean to say i am not at all getting the list of resources to select in the drop down list and also my project in the projects drop down list. Please some boyd help me and tell me is there any thing need to be done...

WEb Deployment project issue: How do i allow updates to Various sections in web.config in the target server as part of installation ?
1) I've got  a web.config whose sections related to the application be it for SMTP settings and other sections related to the application should be editable while deploying it in the target web server 2) I don't want to use 'Replace Config files' option Is there an existing MSBuild task that can be used to accomplish this?  Or do i have to roll-out a Window application and launch that as part of the task to get this done and put this in the one of the build phases be it "After Build"    3) Also, WebDeployment projects use the F...

Web Deployment Project & Web Setup Project source code issue...
I seem to be having an issue using the deployment add-in and the web setup project as it pertains to the source code being included in the msi package... I have website that I have tried to deploy to a remote server where I need to run the msi installer.  it runs just fine, but includes the aspx.vb files for each page.  I have tried to follow the directions on MSDN, but they do not mirror the Visual Studio 2005 Web setup project on my machine.  Anyway, is there an option I am missing somewhere to NOT include the vb source files (code behind)?Warren LaFrance Hi Warren,&nbs...

Web resources about - Web setup project to deploy a Web application to a target server - asp.net.installation-setup

Application developers struggle to adapt to changing licensing models
Application producers are aware of rapid change impacting their ability to make money from their software products, but they're not adopting ...

MBA: Mortgage Applications Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey, Purchase Applications up 30% YoY
From the MBA: Mortgage Applications Slightly Decrease in Latest MBA Weekly Survey Mortgage applications decreased 0.2 percent from one week ...

Mortgage applications down 0.2%

LED market saturation to drive industry to seek profits in new applications in 2016, says LEDinside
According to LEDinside, LED makers had an especially tough year in 2015. "Despite rising LED lighting market demand and the large scale replacement ...