Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem

Apologies if this has already been covered, i can't find any search function on the forum.

I have a somewhat annoying problem with the above software.

I use Vista Home Premium x64 and have decided to install VWD 2008 and SQL2005 to learn ASP and SQL development. I only have a moderate undertanding of standard HTML and would like to expand my knowledge.

It is the final non-beta version of VWD 2008.

The install went fine and no errors were shown.

After trying to connect to the database via the ASP.NET application tool in VWD it gives an "unable to connect to the database error". The only solution i have found is to disable UAC. The connection then seems to work perfectly.

I don't wish to disable UAC every time i use the program as i do find it a usefull security feature.

Can anybody suggest why this is happening and any work around that may work?

I have done some extensive research into this already and have tried a number of solutions posted by other users to no avail. I can connect to the database through other means this just appears to be an issue with VWD and that particular tool.

Please bear in mind i'm pretty novice when it comes to databases and sql.

Thanks for any help :-)

0
mhodder

If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly?
If I upgrade sql server 2005 express to sql server 2008 express, will my user instances in the 2005 database be transfered automaticly? Thanks! Hi asdpai, I am not sure if I catch your meaning.But if you want to upgrade the SQL Server 2005 Express to SQL Server 2008 Express, you may refer to the following link: Version and Edition Upgradeshttp://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143393.aspxHow to: Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 (Setup)http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms144267.aspxJian KangMicrosoft Online Community SupportPlease remember to mark the replies as answers if t...

Error: 25
I am in VWD and went to Database Explorer to "Add Connection" to a .mdf File located on another PC on the network.  I see the following: 1) Data Source: Microsoft SQL Server (SqlClient)2) Server Name: \\ComputerName3) Log on to the Server: Use SQL Server Authentication4) Connect to a database: Attach a Database File: \\Computename\FolderName\DatabaseName.mdf5) Logical Name: [Left Blank]6) Advanced Tab: [No Changes]7) Clicked the Button: "Test Connection" Receive this Error: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting ...

Problem connecting to sql express database from visual web developer express
Here is the error message I get:http://img109.imageshack.us/my.php?image=error2ug.jpgI have just installed both packages and havent done much in the way of configuration...  What do i need to do?  Thanks! no one knows?  need more info?  please help! Hi, I've seen your previous post, and give some information, please check if it is helpful: http://forums.asp.net/thread/1252114.aspxWelcome to my SQL/ASPNET forum for Chinese http://51up.org/bbs/forumdisplay.php?fid=38...

Visual Basic .NET 2005 Express & Sql Server 2005 Express remote server
Hi,  I want to make a component library in Visual Basic.NET and connect to a remote Sql Server. When I create a new DataSet with the wizard, I can only connect to a .mdf file, but not to a Sql Server. With Visual Web Developer I can connect to a Sql server. What is the difference between these enviroments ? How can I do the same with Visual Basic.NET ?  Thanks in advance. Visual Basic .NET Express cannot connect to SQL Servers. The Visual Web Developer is the only express edition that can utilize SQL Server. You need to upgrade to Visual Studio 2005 Standard or higher.Cheers,&n...

Visual Studio 2008 SP1
I have the developer version of SQL 2005 & SQL Server Express 2008 installed on my laptop and Visual Studio 2008 SP1 and .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 installed.    I'm learning ASP.Net MVC and want to work with a SQL Server Express 2008, but I can't connect to SQL Server Express 2008.  I first tried to ADD a SQL Server Database by adding a SQL Server Database to app_data and received the error "Connections to SQL Server files (*.mdf) require SQL Server Express 2005 to function properly.  Then I attempted to ADD the Membership.MDF ...

Visual Web Developer Express 2008 SQL database connection problem
I am using VWD Express 2008 with SQL Express 2008 on XP Pro SP3.  When I try to configure a database gridview connection using the Add Connection wizard I can select the server name in the dropdown and the AdventureWorks2008 in the select database dropdown.  When I click on OK I get a Microsoft Visual Studio error "object reference not set to an instance of an object."  Any help is appreciated, thanks. I suspected that the package load failures I was getting was the root cause of this problem. After solving the package load failure problem everything worked as...

connecting to SQL Server database from Visual Web Developer 2005 Express
In trying to follow Dan Burman's StudentActivities project from the MSDN article "Web Development with Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and SQL Server 2005 Express, Edition, Part 1" I am unable to connect to the database. Instead I get the following message: The following message may help in diagnosing the problem: Unable to connect to SQL Server database. at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.GetSqlConnection(String server, String user, String password, Boolean trusted, String connectionString) at System.Web.Management.SqlServices.SetupApplicationServices(String server,...

Unable to connect with sql server 2005 Express after installing web setup
  Hi experts,I have a problem with sql server 2005. I have created a web setup project using custom action to create database at installation time. Every thing is ok. It creates prerequisites and database successfully during installation. I have used the connection string connectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=TrainTrack;Integrated Security=true;" in my custom action which executes database script successfully and install web application as well.But when i execute my application login page and supplies Login Id and Password, It did not connect ...

Visual Web Dev 2005 Express & SQL 2005 Express
Last week I downloaded and installed Vis Web Dev Express 2005 and have it running absolutely fine.  2 days later I downloaded the most recent SQL Server Express but when I try to install it, I get a message saying it has "detected incompatible beta components fromVisual Studio or SQL Server" and that I must "run the build clean up wizard from the cd."  Since I downloaded both parts I dont have a cd.  I dont particularly want to uninstall webdev express because the download was so slow the first time and it doesn't leave an install file for reinstallation.  What's my best ...

move database from web dev express to SQL 2005 or SQL Express
I'm guessing something like this has been posted before, but I'm having trouble finding excatly what I'm looking for.  Here's the situation. I am building a site based on the club starter kit.  The database appears to be part of the web project.  I've modified some of the tables so it's not the original club database anymore. I would like to move this database to SQL Express (i.e. the database will appear in my SQL Server Mgmt. Studio) and I would also like to try to move it to SQL 2005.  I don't have a host yet, so I think being able to move it to either product would ...

connecting to a ms sql server database with visual studio web developer express 2008
how do I let users who visit my site update the database using visual studio web developer express edition 2008. so i want to add a coments page for example where users enter their name email, comments in textboxes. And then this is updtated in the sql server database. also how does one get the isp number to also be updated in the database. So basically users must be able to add new records to the database First create a connection object to your database Then create dataAdapter In the dataAdapter specify your Sql statement and lastly execute the statement All of these steps are a litt...

I cannot use SQL Server 2008 Express with Visual Web Developer 2008 Express
I have downloaded the Visual Studio 2008 Express with SP1 All-In-One DVD image file, burned a DVD and installed Visuall Basic, with SQL Server and Visual Web Developer. However when I try to test a new site and add a  New Item/SQL Sever database I get a message: "failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in starting the process for the user instance. The connection will be closed." I tried to use SQL Server Configuration manager and change SQLEXPRESS logon properties (different built-in account and my Windows Vista account) but it doesn't work and I ...

SQL Server 2005 express connectivity with Visual Studio.NET 2005
Hello I'm having a problem with the server connection and my C# code. The code executes alright but no data is entered into the database behind it.  I'm pasting the connection code over here as well. The sql commands are used in the code. I think I used the sql server mobile edition which is installed along with visual studio.net 2005. Anyone know what's wrong, and can help me out? Thanks in advance.public static void storeInDb(string trackName, string artist, string albumTitle, string year, string path, uint[] fp) { string connStr="Data Source=.\\SQLEXPRESS;At...

Web resources about - Visual Web Dev Express 2008 and SQL server Express 2005 database connection problem - asp.net.installation-setup

Kings Cross identities arrested in connection with murder
Two Kings Cross identities have been arrested in connection with the murder of a man at Sydney hotel.

Faith: Spirits lift in connection with home
We need to more adequately understand the spirituality of our unique place on earth.

FBI mulls connection between Super Bowl, CA fiber optic cable cuttings
... authorities, who have been baffled by more than a dozen attacks on San Francisco Bay Area data lines, are probing whether there is any connection ...

Report: Man arrested in connection with Ashley Olsen's murder
Italian media agency reports that a non-EU male has been arrested in the murder of the 35-year-old American

Toyota and Kymeta rely on satellites to power this Mirai's data connection
They're hoping to achieve gigabit wireless speeds within the next few years.