Visual Studio 2005 Install Problem - The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type () is installed.

Hi all,

I have just rebuilt my XP machine and installed Visual Studio 2005. When trying to open previously created projects I get the following error message:

The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type () is installed.

At this point I did some reading and googling and discovered that 'Web Application Projects' is not included in the base Visual Studio 2005 package. I installed Service Pack 1 (SP1) expecting this to fix the problem, however I still received the same error message when trying to open the application. I know there is not a problem with the application code as I can open easily on another machine (its on a USB key).

Has anyone any ideas as to what may be wrong here?

Many thanks,

/Brian

0
Brian

 hi,

First of all try to create a new project in visual studio 2005 and run it if it does not generate any error then may b you have to install web projects from

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336618.aspx

0
Devashri
11/24/2008 11:22:35 AM

Hi, thanks for the quick response. I'll try creating a new project this evening when I get home to see if I can do that at least. The thing is, I have SP1 installed and therefore web projects should already be installed. When I open the link in your post I read this:

Support for Web Application Projects is now a feature of Visual Studio 2005 Service Pack 1.  A separate add-on and update to Visual Studio is no longer needed.  If you did install the Web Application Projects Add-on you must first uninstall it before installing Visual Studio Service Pack 1.

Therefore I am thinking that this is not the problem?

 Regards,

 /Brian

0
Brian
11/24/2008 12:00:31 PM

Yes i agree with Devashri, you have to install install web projects again.

Nick

0
nickadam
11/25/2008 11:10:36 AM

Thanks nickadam, I got it working using another method before I got your post. I got it working by modifying the optional installed components (via Add/Remove Programs) and installing "Visual Web Developer" which I had intentionally left out first time round. After I did that it just worked. I am aware of Web Application Projects however my understanding wasthat this is a bolt-on to VS2005 and is not required with SP1 as stated in Devashri's link above (i.e. it's already included). Is it even possible to install the stand-alone Web Application Projects after installing SP1? Why did installing Visual Web Developer get it working (it was a shot in the dark!)... is the Web Applications Projects component included with this?

Thanks,

 /Brian

0
Brian

Make sure the application for project type () is installed
Hi I have moved my vs 2005 project to a new laptop and when opening the solution file I get the following error. I have created a new virtual dir under inetpub and copies all the files and the solution file from the my old laptop however when loding the solution file I get the following error. Any help will be much apprecated. Thank you Application for project 'http://localhost/project' is not installed...

Make sure the application for the project type () is installed
I moved from Windows XP to Windows Vista Enterprise version and I installed VS.NET 2005 Pro with SP1 on. When I run the AJAX Control Toolkit (AjaxControlToolkit) solution, I received the following errors: The application for project ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX extensions\AJAX Control Toolkit\SampleWebsite’ is not installed”. Make sure the application for the project type() is installed. The application for project ‘C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX extensions\AJAX Control Toolkit\AjaxControlToolkit.csproj’ is not installed”. Make sure the applic...

install problem 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005
Hello, I like to install 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 - Update to Support Web Application Projects' (VS80-KB915364-X86-ENU.exe) on a german version of VS2005 professional and got an error message from windows installer which means : "The upgradepatch can not inssalled cause the program is posible not insalle or the upgradepath has an other version as the program which shall be actulised" ( translatet from by me ;-) Is there a possebilety to get it running ? or to change my vs2005 german version to an english version ? Thank you in advance Uwe lestaUwe Lesta You will have to have a...

error message: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create the application <application>. The likeliest problem is that required components are not installed on the local Web server."
after enabling ssl using iis certificate services, creating and installing server and client certificates; i encountered this message when i try to reopen the project in vs 2003. how to work with ssl web apps in vs.net. please reply asap......

Creating a setup project in Visual Studio 2005: Can install project from within VS but not via web page
Have created a simple project is vb using VS2005. If I right click it from within Visual Studio and select Install, the project is installed on my machine correctly together with a shortcut to the program on the desktop (which I defined in the File System Editor). To do this the Setup Wizard runs. Have added a Windows Setup project to the solution which creates a web page from which I want users to be able to install the program on their machines. When I click on the Install button it does not run the Setup Wizard. It does, however, install the program on my machine but not the shortcut. C...

Make sure the application for project type () is installed #2
I am trying to open a web project in Visual Studio 2005. I am getting the following error.   Make sure the application for project type () is installed It worked in the morning. Suddenly I started gettting this error. I could not able to open any web project. I can't even create a new Web Site Project. Please help me.   Thanks Raj Hi, From your description, it seems that you cannot open ASP.NET web application and cannot create new ASP.NET web application too, right? Did we try to reboot computer?  We can try to run "devenv.exe  /log <full path to lo...

Make Sure the application for the project type (.rptproj) is installed
Hi..All... when i open .rptproj type project with Visual Studio 2005 it shows an error that " Make Sure the application for the project  type (.rptproj) is installed "what steps i should require to open and configure project it.  Please Help me .....thnx in advance....Jay "Enjoy Life" hi, try out by reinstalling MRS and make sure to check out the Report Designer component  Please: Don't forget to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helped youRegards,Viraj24...

Can I open a Web Project application after I install Web Applications Projects?
I have installed the Web Application Projects addin to my VS 2005.  I have used it to convert a web application that was written in VS 2003 to VS 2005. Now I want to open a Web Project application written by another developer on our team.  The Web Project is save in SourceSafe.  When I try to open the Web Project from SourceSafe I get an error "There are no solition or project files in the this location.  Please select a different location".  Am I geting this error because I have the Web Applications Projects installed?  Do I have to uninstall it to work o...

Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects
Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects - Install fails! with "An exception occured in the OnAfterInstall event handler of Microsoft Visual Studio Web Application.WAInstaller. --> Object reference not set to an instance of an object" Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this ? .net 2 already installed and also Visual Web Developer Express.is installed. Thanks  for your help  ...

Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects --Installation fails
Whenever i tried to install Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects it ask me to install Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 – Update to Support Web Application Projects. I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 – Update to Support Web Application Projects 4 times and tried rebooting and running it with admin privleges, each time the installation was successful. But i am still not able to install Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Projects  as it keep asking for Update to Support web Application project. I was wondering if any body has solved or seen this problem. I am using Vista OS....

Installed Visual Studio 2005 Web Application Project Option does not apear
am a undergraduate student about to develop my final year project on visual studio 2005....using asp.net with c#....i have a visual studio 2005 professional trial edition for  evaluation purposes only...135 days remaining....i have installed all the updates for web application project....after re-starting my pc....the icon which am suposed to get from new project / visual c# / asp.net application does not appear....Is it because of the trial edition?....please help......

installing files for complex script and right to left languages(control panel) from Visual studio 2005 or visual studio 2008 setup project
I know how to install files for complex script and right to left languages from control panel manually.But i want to install these files for complex script and right to left languages(control panel) from Visual studio 2005 or visual studio 2008 setup project (windows Application).  Plz re write the query,..it is almost impossible to understand...Please mark as answer if it helped u! go to control panel --> REgional languages options--> Laguages tab--> Suppliment Language Support option-->   Here there is check box for installing complex script and right to left l...

Web resources about - Visual Studio 2005 Install Problem - The application for project <project> is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type () is installed. - asp.net.installation-setup