regiis failing after 2.0 installation; errors in App Log looking for FW 1.2?!

All,

Seeing very strange behavior on a Win2003 server onto which I'm trying to install just MDAC9b1 and the 2.0 Framework (from dotnetfx.exe which ships with VS2005 March 2004 Preview). The Dot Net installer takes forever, seeming to hang on the aspnet_regiis.exe -i step, and when I check the Application Log, I get a few errors which read:
The ASP.NET DLL (Path: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.2.30703\aspnet_isapi.dll) (Version:1.2.30703.0) is missing
That looks like the old Whidbey path (Oct 2003 codebase), so I'm wondering if something is corrupted in this server's registry. (The server used to have the Whidbey Framework on it.)
If I look in my c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework directory, I see four version directories, including the v1.2.30703 directory, despite the fact that I've done a proper uninstall of the Whidbey redistributables, and the VS.NET 2005 version of them installs properly.
If I try to do a manual aspnet_regiis.exe -i, the process takes a very long time, and it generates an unusual number of periods (two lines worth). And it produces errors: "Setup has detected some errors during the operation. For details please read the setup log file..." and when I review that file, I get all sorts of interesting errors, some of which pertain to the ASPNET_Admin stuff (which I know is broken) and some of which appear to pertain to othere problems. (It's a big file, but I can post the "Failure" lines if someone wants them.)
Any ideas, folks?
Thanks,
/s/ James
0
jgbeldock

Check so you don’t have the path to the PDC bits in the Environment variable PATH.

Search through the registry for the old version and remove any keys if they don’t have bean removed successfully when you uninstall the PDC bits.
I don’t know if this will help you, but you can give it a try.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/7/2004 4:29:04 AM
Hello All,

I have a similar problem installing VS2005 March 2004 Preview. The aspnet_regiis.exe -i step had the following errors in the ASPNETSetup_00000.log file:
2004-04-01 16:32:38 Starting Precompile the web admin tool.
2004-04-01 16:32:41 Starting Error executing the following command line: aspnet_compiler -m /LM/w3svc/1/Root/aspnet_webadmin/2_0_40301
2004-04-01 16:32:41 Failure Error executing the following command line: aspnet_compiler -m /LM/w3svc/1/Root/aspnet_webadmin/2_0_40301: PrecompileWebAdmin failed with HRESULT 80004005: 'Unspecified error '
2004-04-01 16:32:41 Failure Precompile the web admin tool.: PrecompileWebAdmin failed with HRESULT 80004005: 'Unspecified error '
2004-04-01 16:32:41 Failure Precompile the web admin iis app.: PrecompileWebAdmin failed with HRESULT 80004005: 'Unspecified error '
2004-04-01 16:32:41 Failure Setting up web admin application: SetupFiles failed with HRESULT 80004005: 'Unspecified error '
Now I can't bring up the properties dialog for any directory in IIS. Can anyone help?
Many thanks,
Paul
0
paulsb
4/9/2004 9:08:35 PM
>Now I can't bring up the properties dialog for any directory in IIS

<snap from the read me file>
To resolve this issue
Open the registry editor by selecting Run from the Start menu, typing regedit, clicking OK.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ASP.NET and locate the registry key with the name 2.0.40301.9 (pd4.040301-0900).
Rename this registry key to 2.0.40301.9.
Select the registry key named 2.0.40301.9 and locate the sub-key named DllFullPath.
Right-click the sub-key named DllFullPath and select Modify.
In the Value data: text box, type the file location of the aspnet_isapi.dll for the .NET Framework version 2.0.40301. For example, C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v.2.0.40301\aspnet.isapi.dll. Note Windows may not be installed in the C:\WINDOWS directory on your server. Be sure to use the proper path to the Windows installation for your server.
Select the registry key named 2.0.40301.9 and locate the sub-key named Path.
Right-click the sub-key named Path and select Modify.
In the Value data: text box, type the folder location of the aspnet_isapi.dll for the .NET Framework version 2.0.40301.
For example, C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v.2.0.40301. Note Windows may not be installed in the C:\WINDOWS directory on your server. Be sure to use the proper path to the Windows installation for your server.
Close the registry editor.
</snap>
/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/9/2004 9:33:00 PM
OK, the ReadMe instructions do fix the IIS MMC problem, but I still can't call aspnet_regiis.exe -i successfully.  I keep getting the errors as described by PaulSB whenever I run it manually, and ASP.NET does not respond to any requests for .aspx pages.  I've now tried this on two separate Windows 2003 machines, with the same results.

A few more details:
1) I ran the MDAC 9 beta installer first (from the /wcu directory);
2) I ran DotNetFx from the /wcu directory;
3) that's all I did
Also, I noticed that there are actually two different v2.0.x entries in my registry: v.2.0.40301.0 and v.2.0.40301.9; they BOTH display in the IIS MMC snap-in Properties dialog for the website in question.
So, has anyone actually been able to run ASP.NET 2.0 without using the VS.NET personal web server?
/s/ James
0
jgbeldock
4/9/2004 11:22:57 PM
I can run it with IIS, I use Windows XP. Check if you have "Allowed" ASP.Net application to run in your IIS. Is that doesn't work, run the setup and repair your installation or reinstall it from the setup file. Let it install the MDAC9 and DotNetFx for your etc.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/10/2004 6:48:46 AM
Well, this is getting stranger by the minute.

First, I have now installed VS.NET 2005 on these two Windows 2003 machines, and I can successfully compile and run a web project using the Personal Web Server on the randomly-generated port number that web server uses. However, if I point IIS at the same directory, I get application errors ("Page not Found").
I still cannot run aspnet_regiis -i without getting an error, but all of those errors pertain to the WebAdmin directory, so I thought based on the ReadMe and other posts that that problem doesn't stop me from getting IIS to actually run the aspnet_filter.dll and hand requests for .aspx pages off to ASP.NET. However, since I'm still getting "Page not Found" errors, I think I am wrong in this assumption.
Second, Frederik, if you don't mind my asking, can you confirm the following things to me, please:
1) When you do an aspnet_regiis -lv (those letters are 'ell' and 'vee'), you should see a list of versions of ASP.NET you're running. Do you see one v2.0.40301.x or do you see two? I see two: v2.0.40301.0 and v2.0.40301.9. I don't really understand that (it also appears in my HLKM\... registry entries where I was supposed to fix the full path in order to fix the MMC problem).
2) When I attempted to install VS.NET 2005 (successfully), the installer indicated that Framework 2.0 was installed *TWICE*. I think it figured this out from the Registry, probably from the same HKLM/... hive the ReadMe points to.
3) I noticed that the registry keeys for v2.0.40301.0 are MUCH more extensive than the v2.0.40301.9 keys; they include things like DefaultDoc and other keys not present in the v2.0.40301.9 hive. Can you confirm whether you have this also, or whether you have only one hive, and if so, how many keys are in there? [I have tried renaming the v2.0.40301.9 hive and the .0 hive, swapping them, removing one, etc. Nothing seems to work here.]
4) Your recent suggestion was to make sure "ASP.Net is "Allowed" to run in your IIS"--I assume you meant to check that the ISAPI panel of the IIS config for the website was properly set up to show the "aspnet_filter.dll" Or is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks to everyone for help. This is getting truly frustrating!
Best,
/s/ James
0
jgbeldock
4/10/2004 5:45:50 PM
I've made some more progress in tracking this down:

I just installed IIS on my XP Pro box, the one from which I've been developing, and even though aspnet_regiis -i returned the same errors as it does on my Windows 2003 machines, when I try to access a website on my XP Pro machine, I have no problem getting the .aspx files to execute.
So maybe we're dealing with a Windows Server 2003-specific problem here??
Other notes: if I look in my XP Pro c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\ directory, I have these version folders:
v1.0.3705/
v1.1.4322/
v2.0.40226/ <-what's this?!
v2.0.40301/
The v2.0.40226 directory is now on the Windows 2003 machines, and this XP box never had the original (Whidbey) toolset on it, so there's no v1.2.x directory.
Just to be clear, when I run aspnet_regiis -i, I'm calling the one in the v2.0.40301 directory.
Any further thoughts, folks?
Thanks!
/s/ James
0
jgbeldock
4/10/2004 6:40:06 PM
I haven’t tried to run aspnet_regiis on my machine without using the

ASP.Net switcher.
I have two keys in the registry.
I don't know what folder v2.0.40226/ is used for, it only contains a registry key settings for the helper.
What I meant about “Allow” running ASP.Net on your Win 2003 machine is that there is a setting where you can for example allow ASP to run on your computer etc. I don’t remember where these settings are located but probably in the IIS settings. I don’t have Win 2003 installed on my computer and I will not get back to work until Tuesday.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/10/2004 10:21:26 PM
Just wanted to say "THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS LOVELY THREAD!!!"

I reinstalled xp, reinstalled just about everything, and the properties window in my IIS didn't pop up. I started getting very very angry, and couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. Came to this thread, and the regkeys were exactly on target. *sigh* I almost had a heart attack thinking I had to restore my whole harddrive, and that wasn't making me a happy person.
Again, thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread.
Kay Lee
MySpace.com - http://www.myspace.com/kragie
Infrastructure Group
MySpace.com

- Code to live, but Live to code.
0
KraGiE
4/11/2004 9:08:06 AM
OK, after building a new system from scratch and producing the same behavior, I believe I've confirmed this to be a configuration problem in Windows 2003.  Here are the steps to reproduce:

1. Start with clean Windows 2003 (I did a fresh install).
2. Install EITHER the Windows Component Update files or use the VS.NET 2005 March 2004 preview installer to do a full VS.NET install with WCU files.
3. Apply HKLM\Software\Microsoft\ASP.NET\2.0.40301.9 corrupted registry key fix as per ReadMe file (Result: can use IIS MMC Properties dialog again)
4. Launch IIS MMC and create a web site and application
5. Try to access that site (Result: any page with .aspx suffix will result in "Page Not Found" error)
6. Try c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2.0.40301\regiis_aspnet.exe -i and repeat steps 4 and 5 (Result: any page with .aspx suffix will result in "Page Not Found" error) [NOTE: this step will cause the corrupted registry key in (3) to reappear; you will need to fix it again]
COMPARATIVE testing:
- tried this on three separate Windows 20003 Enterprise Edition servers (two physical machines, one OS rebuilt 2x); same results
- tried same thing on a Windows XP Pro SP1a machine and had no problem with pulling up the website in step (5) above
Frederik or others: I have been unable to locate the appropriate MSDN 'beta' newsgroups for the VS.NET 2005 March 2004 Preview, so I can't be sure this will get posted to the right place. If someone knows how to get the word to the right people on the ASP.NET team, I'd be grateful (and, please, let me know how to do that, if appropriate :-).
Regards,
/s/ James
0
jgbeldock
4/13/2004 5:34:38 AM
Have you tried the ASP.Net Switcher that I pointed about in this thread?

If not, try to use it and see if you can get it to work.

Check if ASP.Net is allowed to run on your machine:

Open IIS Manager. Select the monitoring station (or local computer if you are on the machine's console) and select "Web Service Extensions" and select ASP.Net something and click the allow button.

/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/13/2004 6:43:30 AM
Here is a response from Microsoft regarding this issue:

"This is most likely due to an IIS 6.0 feature that limits the ISAPI extensions that are allowed to run. You can explicitly enable a version of ASP.NET in the IIS extensions manager. In the IIS MMC console (Start > Run > inetmgr), select the extension manager in the left-side tree and then enable the version of ASP.NET you want.
Note: No two versions of ASP.NET can run in the same application pool in IIS, so you'll need to make sure that you separate individual applications of different versions (e.g. v1.1 and Whidbey) into different application pools. You can do this by right-clicking the the app root, choosing Properties, and selecting the appropriate app pool in the dropdown.
Hope this helps,
Bradley"
/Fredrik Normén - fredrikn @ twitter

Microsoft MVP, MCSD, MCAD, MCT

ASPInsiders
My Blog
0
Fredrik
4/13/2004 7:13:44 PM
This was also very helpful to me.

Thanks very much.
0
Greg_Linwood
4/19/2004 6:13:25 AM
Thank you very much!  Solved my problem.

Paul
0
paulsb

Unable to debug .net 1.1 applications after installing .net framework 2.0 ? #2
Hi, After you install .NET Framework 2.0, if you continue to use Visual Studio.NET 2003 you may be unable to debug the applications developed in .NET 1.1. You may receive the error "Unable to start debugging on the webserver..." Please check My Article on this issue and the resolution for the same. Comments are welcome. Thanks. regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh...

imanager 2.0.2 installed but showing 1.2.2
I just installed imanager 2.0.2 but when i visit https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:2200 i dont see anything in web manager. when i got to https://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx i get the web manager and i click on "open imanager" i get redirected to imanager but it is version 1.2.2???? what is the path to my new install? netware 6 sp4 imanager 2.0.2 edir 8.7.1 :( rdixon@wvbep.org, iManager 2.x uses a different URL than iManager 1.x The URL for 2.x is https://<server_ip_address>/nps/iManager.html -- //Niclas Ekstedt ____________________________________ Niclas Eksted...

Installed 2.0 but am getting error asking to install 1.1 to fix
I recently upgraded from 1.0 to 2.0. The instructions required that I remove 1.0 installation. The offeneder is rng.exe....any suggestions? For delbox I also got it (Not when upgrading to 2.0, I got long back when I moved from 1.0 to 1.1) See if below link helps you to love U R problem http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=&ErrorID=26703 Basically you have to re-install throught control pannel!Sreedharhttp://www.w3coder.orgweblog http://weblogs.asp.net/skoganti...

how to install .ner framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?
hello everyone!I got a problem, I have installed .net framework 2.0 in my computer, but now I need to install .net framework 1.1.The install process of .net framework 1.1 halt when it is stoping the IIS Admin.Can I install .net framework 1.1 after .net framework 2.0 has been installed?Or I have to remove 2.0 and install 1.1 and 2.0 in sequence?Thank you very much! There is no sequence in .net framework 1.1 and 2.0 installation.You can look into the installation log and check what's the problem.Can you post your installation errors?Maybe I can help you to fix the error through your...

Tomcat installation failing during iManager 2.0.2 install
I'm trying to install iManager with default Tomcat server, the Tomcat installation fails with following error Unhandled Exception c0000005 access violation at address 500bf974 I was able to install iManager successfully on couple of other pcs. Thx Hi, I think you may have some faulty ram ..... John >>> <deepakg@interrait.com> 03/12/2004 >>> I'm trying to install iManager with default Tomcat server, the Tomcat installation fails with following error Unhandled Exception c0000005 access violation at address 500bf974 I was able to in...

Error with a 1.1 app after 2.0 installed on machine
After I installed 2.0 on my dev machine I am having trouble with an app that is still in 1.1.  I can not change this app yet so I need to find the problem.  This is a web app. The error is based around Impersonate=true.  Here is the section from my web.config. <authentication mode="Forms"><forms loginUrl="Login.aspx" name="adAuthCookie" timeout="60" path="/"></forms></authentication><authorization><deny users="?" /><allow users="*" /></authorization><identity impersonate="true" />This worked fine for a long time until vs 2...

Error installing iManager 2.0.2 #2
I am currently running Netware 6 SP5 with iManager 1.2.2. I tried to install iManager 2.0.2, but the error message listed below alwas comes up. I have installed JVM 1.4.2 and eDirectory 8.7.3. Any ideam? *** Open log 03/29/2005 15:54:26 EST *** ______ Driver Fatal: Could not initialize the Shipping Profile in driver.initShippingProfile(). ______ Driver Fatal: 1 >= 1 ______ Driver Fatal: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: 1 >= 1 at java.util.Vector.elementAt(Vector.java:431) at com.novell.application.install.LinkArray.get(LinkArray.java:74) at com.novell...

I haven't seen this anywhere, so I figured I would add it here. First of all, it is incorrect to recommend to anyone that who has VS.NET 2002 to do ANYTHING but first install VS.NET 2002. The installl order for VS.NET 2002 and .Net Framwork 1.1 SHOULD BE: 0. Install ALL windows updates for your pc EXCEPT FOR .NET Framwork 1.1 1. Install VS.NET 2002 2. Install MSDE that comes w/VS.NET 2002 (USE A NAMED INSTANCE! Never usee the default instance) 2. Install MDAC 2.8 3. Install .Net Framework 1.1 4. SOMEHOW GET RID OF .NET Framework and get VS.NET and IIS 5.x to work w...

DNN 2.1.2 Installation .Net Framework Assembly Errors
Before installing new releases on my production servers I always test first on my development boxes as a good rule of thumb. DNN 2.1.2 Installed without any trouble on my Desktop machine. Note: I love the new skin administrator. However, I was ready to pull my hair out when upgrading my other Development box, an Alienware Area 51 Laptop. The error message I was getting was rather confusing but referenced the machine.config file and was giving me an Access Denied error for the Scheduler's SQLDataprovider. This clued me in that the problem might be something to do with permissions....

failed install of 2.0.0.2 version
Name: Igor Popov Email: igor_popovathotmaildotcom Product: Firefox Summary: failed install of 2.0.0.2 version Comments: Installation asked to quit firefox, which had not been not run. I confirmed several times but auto close failed. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.1) Gecko/20061204 Firefox/2.0.0.1 ...

Emergency! I just installed the automatic installation of 2.0.0.8 (up from 2.0.0.7) and now FF w
Name: Steve Johnson Product: Firefox Summary: Emergency! I just installed the automatic installation of 2.0.0.8 (up from 2.0.0.7) and now FF w Comments: I just installed the automatic installation of 2.0.0.8 (up from 2.0.0.7) and now FF won't start at all! I was using it, all was well, the box appeared saying I should upgrade to fix security yada yada, I clicked ok, and now all is kaput. Specifically, when I try to run FF, the cursor returns, but no process is launched. Not sure how to even debug this! Was this update a trojan? Now I am totally dead in the water!...

Web resources about - regiis failing after 2.0 installation; errors in App Log looking for FW 1.2?! - asp.net.installation-setup