Publishing "Personal Web Site Starter Kit", Visual Web Developer 2005 on IIS 5.1 in Windows XP 2002 sp2

Dear IIS Gurus

I am trying to publish the "Personal Web Site Starter Kit" provided as an example with "Visual Web Developer 2005"  as a Virtual Directory on IIS 5.1.
I host IIS 5.1 on my development mashine running Windows XP professional 2002 with service pack 2.
On browsing the virtual directory I get the following error message:

"Server Application Unavailable

The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is currently unavailable.  Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request.

Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific request failure can be found in the application event log of the web server. Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur."

The message in the error log is:

"127.0.0.1 - - [16/Aug/2005:09:47:04 +0200] "GET /test/Default.aspx HTTP/1.1" 500 1033"

I don't have the Foggiest Idea what that means.

I can view the website from the browser button inside Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2005 using the ASP.NET Development Server.
I successfully host an asp application in the virtual directory right next to virtual directory hosting aspx application.

How do I post the Web Site generated by the "Create a Personal Web Site" link on the Start Page of Visual Web Developer as a virtual directry on IIS 5.1?

0
buzzard

Difference between "Visual Studio 2005 Professional" and "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
I would like to build a web application for my department.  But I found that both tools can be used to build a ASP web site.  What is the difference between these two tools ?  Do they function the same ?  You can review this online features matrix between all visual studio versionshttp://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/vstudio/aa700921.aspx  Hosam Kamel Remember to click on Mark as answer on the post that helped you Have a look here http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2006/06/26/647516.aspx. Thanks----------------------------------------------------------...

"visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server"
I get this message when I try to create a web site using VS2005 using HTTP, not the file system. "visual web developer does not support creating web sites on a Sharepoint Web Server". Anyone know how to fix this?  Thanks Added info for the above post:I am running Windows XP locally and simply am trying to create a web site in VS2005 using HTTP.  I am not using Visual Web Developer, nor do I have it installed on my machine.The error message mentions Visual Web Developer, so I wanted to clarify that I'm running VS2005 and not VWD.Thanks This is the third report I've s...

Upgrading from "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" to "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2"
Newby question: I am learning ASP.NET and downloaded "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" in order to practice and learn the ropes.I just received "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2" and would like to upgrade. However, I haven't found any reference to removing "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition Beta 2" before installing "Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2".Should I remove it?What do I need to back up before doing so?Thanks in advance,Ira I believe you can install VS on top of VWD. They, in fact, can coexits (although they will share some files).Thanks----------------------------------...

"Visual Web Developer Web Server" and Web Services
I like the new "Visual Web Developer Web Server" (Do you want suggestions for a longer name!) but I have an issue with using it to host a Web Service. Whenever the Web Service is recompiled and run it ends up with a different port number. Therefore, it seems that any references to that WS in other applications are invalidated and need to be re-established when it's run again. Is there a way of pinning the port number, or am I missing something? CheersNick Grattan, MSDN Regional Director, Ireland. Software Paths Limited. Hi Nick, the internal server is used for local...

ERROR: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites." HELP
Hi all, I am having trouble opening/creating a web site on a server running sharepoint services.I am opening/creating an ASP.Net website using Visual Studio 2005. I'm on my development machine running Windows XP.The server I am trying to open/create it on is a Windows 2003 server.It is always give me this error: "Visual Web Developer does not support opening Sharepoint web sites. See help for more details".I have read read very old posts about this error, but none of the info was about to solve the problem for me.Would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me with th...

How to change "File System" web site to "HTTP" Web site
I created a new web site as file based "File System". How can I change this same site to "HTTP" based web site. When createing a new website notice the Location pulldown box contains 3 options (File System, HTTP, FTP) But I do not see how to change my "File System" web site to "HTTP" when the project is alredy created and open. Please advise!! Well, you can open IIS, create a new website. Set its home directory to the Web folder of your site. Then go and create a new project using http. I don't really think you can convert between File Syst...

somebody test the "Personal web site starter kit" meet the same problem?
when i test the "Personal web site starter kit",i had a problem in the following,i dont know whether it is a bug. in photos.aspx page, there is a asp:ContentPager which was used to paging, but it dont work. when you add many photos in a album, they stay in the same page. i check the code,nothing wrong. anybody meet the same problem? Are you using the VB version of the starter kit? If so this is a known bug. Add the appropriate Handles clauses on the event handlers for each page and it should work. --Omar Omar KhanVisual Web Developer Team i am using the c# ...

Help -- Unable to process Personal Web Site Starter Kit code -- VS Web Developer 2005
I originally sent this as "Error in Website1 Application" ... resending to hopefully get some help, or a suggestion of whom to turn to next (in MS or outside) ORIGINAL: I am running VS 2005, XP Pro, without SQL Server.  I opened the 'Create A Personal Web Site' ... everything appears okay, with a clean compile reported ... Ctrl F5 or F5 both result in a Server Error.  When I do a simple page without a database call, all is well ... I haven't reconfigured anything ... any suggestions on how I can determine what is wrong?  This is the first line of the error: ...

"Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. "
i wanted to create a New Project, with Visual Basic Projects as Project Type, and ASP.NET Web Application as the selected Templates. However, there was an error message pop up saying these: "Visual Studio .NET cannot create or open the application. Web site 'http://localhost/2373/Labs/Lab071' not started on this Web server. " How may i overcome it? Is 2373 already a directory in your web root? How about Labs? It might have something to do with subdirectories, have you tried creating one just off the route? Ala: http://localhost/labs071 ? You might want to try to see if tha...

Can I change Personal web site starter kit to allow automatic role assignment as "Friend" to anyone logging in?
I have finally got my ASP.NET 2.0 web site (extended from the personal web site starter kit) developed in VS2005 in C# live on GoDaddy. GoDaddy does not currently allow remote access to their SQL data bases so Web Administration is a problem. Even if it wasn't, I would still like anyone logging in to my site to not require any authorization from the administrator (me) and to be automatically assigned the role of "Friend" giving them access to "private" albums and to several programs that require Request.IsAuthenticated as soon as they login. Does anyone know how this ...

Personal Web Site for Visual Web Developer 2005
I just installed the personal web site on my computer today.  It runs fine on my machine; however when I go to the "Copy web site" button and publish it to my hosted server (Ipowerweb.com) I get a Runtime Error as seen below.  I'm not sure if I need to edit the connection string to the database tables or not.  My hosting company uses MySql and not MS Sql Server.  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you. Server Error in '/bushmous' Application. Runtime Error Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom err...

Changing "virtual path" of Visual Web Developer Web Server
I'm developing a web application and want to avoid having to use a virtual path when executing the internal web server. Currently I have a web site named "website". When I start the web server it will automatically setup a server on some port e.g. 269 and with a virtual path of "website". So I'm able to access the site via: http://localhost:269/website However I would like to access it via this url instead: http://localhost:269/ and I can't see it should be a problem since the port is unique. I need this in order to use absolute paths in my HTML pages. ...

visual web developer 2005: "Page Cannot be displayed"
Hi, I'm new to ASP/web dev and I'm trying to use Visual Web Developer 2005 beta 2, I loaded it onto a windows2000 platform and it worked fine, but was v slow, so I put it on an XP pro SP2 platform. Ive loaded the sample personal web site - but on ctrl+f5 to start it as suggested I usually get the message "The Page Cannot be displayed". Unchecking NTLM authentication sort of allows the default page to display, but it doesnt format properly and all te links give "the page cannot be displayed". Sometimes I get http error 400 - bad request. I have microsoft internet explorer set as the defa...

Can I develop our company's internal application with "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"
Dear All, Can I develop our company's internal WEB application with "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"? Any constraint or strict if using "Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition"? For example, user connections / database size (we are going to use mdb not sql server express). We are going to develop a simple Job Request management system for our department, are there any template download for reference (IT help desk).  Regards, Owen   Visual Web Dev 2005 does not have any limitations that it imposes that I know of.  It's actually quite fully featured-...

Web resources about - Publishing "Personal Web Site Starter Kit", Visual Web Developer 2005 on IIS 5.1 in Windows XP 2002 sp2 - asp.net.installation-setup