Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure

Dear All,

I am a newbie and this is my first time trying to run asp.net :)
I was trying to deploy the wrox asp.net sample code and this is what I got when I tried to run it.
I created a virtual directory called "wrox".
I have changed the username in the machine.config <processModel> to:
userName="SYSTEM" password="AutoGenerate"
I thought it was supposed to run because it is WROX OFFICIAL SAMPLE CODE.

Server Error in '/wrox' Application.
Configuration Error
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.
Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.
Source Error:

Line 37: "Forms", "Passport" and "None"
Line 38: -->
Line 39: <authentication mode="Forms" >
Line 40: <forms
Line 41: name="ThePhile"

Source File: C:\wrox\ThePhileVB\web.config Line: 39
0
renodays

I am getting a similar error and eagerly waiting to read any response here.
0
paulito
3/30/2004 2:35:04 PM
he he he
0
renodays
3/31/2004 2:08:14 PM
I got my app running.

I had to install the .NET framework on my server (running iis 5.0) then I had to right click the root folder for my new application, click properties, then under application give it an application name.
that fixed it.
0
paulito
3/31/2004 2:08:44 PM
any application name? or must be 'thephileVB'?
0
renodays
3/31/2004 2:12:07 PM
he he posted the same minute too!
0
paulito
3/31/2004 2:22:41 PM
I just gave it any name.
0
paulito
3/31/2004 3:08:17 PM
Its because the folder which contains the project files isnt setup as a virtual directory under IIS
Gregor Suttie
MCSD, MCAD, MCSD.Net
0
gsuttie2002

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i
Hi i am getting this error, i am using visual studio 2005 and i have IIS 6, what do i need to do to rectify this problem, thank you. Can i also add that this error just came out of the blue, because the last time i started up the project it worked fine....

I added this to my web.config as specified in the article http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag2/html/paght000008.asp <authentication mode="Windows"/> I get this error when I try loading my aspx page: "It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS." I checked my IIS virtual directory and it has a name in for the application name in it's properties so I don't get why I still have this err...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i
Hi Friends  i host the applicatin on server.I got the  error as Virtual  Directory not cofigured.I am using .net frame work 2.0 and i create the virtual directory in application Server. I am using Form authentication for application. I checked  virtual directory is created successfully. I need help to set any other properties virtual directory properites.  Do you have a sub web.config files ? i mean config files other than the one in the main directory ? if so , please make sure to remove the <authentication> section from them. Regards,Anas G...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application i #2
Hi All,I built a website which works. I needed to be able to generate 2 versions of the same website so I built a tool that dynamicaly generates the DAL and BLL. It also copies various standard files from a template to the target source location. It also processes variouse source files to customise them based on certain settings. Anyway it all works. I can generate a version of the original site. However, my problem comes when I run the tool to generate my orginal site. I am unable to build it and I get the following error:"It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition=&...

Please HELP It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an ap
I have: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. I found: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0204.mspx and http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/insider/iisi0103.mspx but still can not FIX it can someone give me link what to do 1 by 1 to fix it 10x valhttp://www.montrealads.cahttp://www.whoiswho.cahttp://www.bluelabs.ca Hi, 1. Open the IIS Control Panel (inetmgr from command prompt) Expand the appropriate nodes to navigate to the virtual directory of your application. Right click on the virtual directory and select Properties. You will find a label Application and a textbox near it and a button "create" Click on "create" and it would create the application for your virtual directory. Give ok twice. That should resolve your issue. 2. If you are using a sub-directory which also has a web.config file, then in that web.config you cannot specify attributes like Authentication Mode, Session state etc., Write back if the above steps doesnt help. Thanks.regards,Harishhttp://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh I do that a 100 times still not work. even change web.config with new one. I have this problem since I do upgrate from upgrate.microsoft.com 5-March-05 All my applications run well only...

VS 2008 error 'It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 I am using VS 2008 on Windows XP. I downloaded the Ajax Control Toolkit. I am working on Liberty's Programming ASP.NET 3.5 AjaxDemo.aspx. When I hit F5 I get the following error message: "Error    1    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."  I do not have IIS on this machine. I checked out   http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/...

Error 102 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 Hi there, i'm greatful if nayone can help me with it. i'm stuck with this error, trying to get to working but to no avail. Error    102    It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.   ...\Web.config    389     i read lots of the posts but the solutions offered there did not resolve my problem. here is what i've tried...

Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config
This is the error message I get: Server Error in '/' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config. Source Error: Line 4: Line 5: <system.web> Line 6: &...

Error Message :It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' ........
" It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS."Could anyone plz help.....Why this error is occuring look at this. http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspx in overview any one of the below 2 reasons.  1. You must define that application as virtual directory. you can do this by giving the directory websharing by rightclick the direcotyr-> properties->websharing-> share t...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
Hi, while deploying my Web application i'm facing this error.i've also configured the virtual directory.  It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS  Help is greatly appreciated Thanks Hitesh Hi Hitesh, You have some settings in your web.config file that can only be run in an application root.  It sounds like you deployed this to a sub-folder on your site.  What you need to do is...

error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
Dear Helpers,  I find a error as follows when I run the program under VS.net 2005. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS It highlighted the following code in web.config.  <system.web>    <identity impersonate="true" userName="xxxxxx" password="xxxxxxx" />    <customErrors mode="Off"/> &n...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
HiI have recently moved an asp.net application onto a web server.However I am getting the above error message.How would I go about resolving this?thanks in advancefeel free to ask for more detailscheers  Hi,Ensure that you have setup the folder as a virtual directory and that is running the correct version of ASP.NET for you application. If that does not help post back.ThanksStefan--------------------http://weblogs.asp.net/stefansedich  Hi thanks for replying The web server that the application is being held on will not let me have access to their IIS.Therefore my qu...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
 i have installed one C# project it is giving following error as i try to run itError 1 It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. C:\Program Files\Microsoft\.NET Pet Shop 4.0\PrecompiledWeb\Web\web.config 63 can anybody help thanks  Stupid question but is your virtual directory being configured as an application in IIS?The erros tells that a section in the web.config is not allowed to use in you...

error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
I'm getting this bizzare error when I try to debug an ASP.NET project. Details follow. I should also mention that I first used to get "this project is not set up for debug. Do you want to disable debuging for this project?" But I solved that one by allowing full control of my virtual dir to everyone. Here is the error I'm getting now. Please help! There is no info on this anywhere... Greg Server Error in '/Vpcs' Application. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Configuration Error Description: An error occurred durin...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
I am getting this error. I checked my web.config and I don't have allowdefinition tag in my web.config which I think is right. I have other web.config files in other folders. This is to local path to my application folder mapped in IIS. Z:\_equipment\videos Ps: Only videos is set as an application. I tryed to set _equipmet too, but still get the error. This is my web.config <configuration> <location path="openvideo.aspx"> <system.web> <compilation debug="true"/> <authentication mode="Forms&...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
Hello, I am getting this error and dont know what to do. I have no access to the server but ftp access. I had the server people define the folder with the code in it as an application and I still get the error message. The folder is off the public directory and only has 1 web.config file in in it.Server Error in '/' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Source Error: Line 25: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. Line 26: -->Line 27: <authentication mode="Windows" />Line 28: Line 29: <customErrors mode="Off" />   You have to define the applications folders as virtual applications under IIS configuration. Specially the folder where web.config is located.Don't forget to mark solution providing post as "Answered"....

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
Ok, not sure what this means: Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.Source Error: Line 26: ASP.NET to identify an incoming user. Line 27: --&g...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
Hey everyone.  I have an online application, and im trying to stick in a calendar it works well when i run it at VS05 environment  when i upload it and try to run it; Server Error in '/SQL' Application. Configuration Error Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
I know there are some posts already regarding this and I've read them.  So please don't simply tell me that the web.config can't be in a subdirectory. Here's my situation...  I am a website designer and I have server space that I pay for (i.e. I can't bring up IIS on my desktop).  I do, however, have a Plesk control deck for my domain.  I have clients that I build website for.  How do I set up individual application directories under Plesk? For example: /client1/client2/client3etc.a different app in each directory for each of my clients in ...

error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
can anyone plz help me to get rid of this situaton.  Description:  An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. Source Error: Line 70: Line 71: Line 72: Line 73: Line 74:...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level
You may get this error when trying to browse an asp.net application. The debug information shows that "This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS." However, this error occurs primarily out of 2 scenarios. 1. When you create an new web application using visual studio.net, it automatically creates the virtual directory and configures it as an application. However, if you manually create the virtual directory and it is not configured as an application, then you will not be able to browse the application and may get the abov...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.
Why am I getting this error:Error     76     It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level.  This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS.It is pointing to this entry in my web.config    <authentication mode="Forms">      <forms loginUrl="login.aspx" />    </authentication>Here's the kicker.  My project is set to use the Default Web Server in VS 2005...so why is it trying to talk...

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. #2
I get the above error when I place a web.config  in a sub directory. I have to have a login control at directory level only and not site wide. I created a virtual directory and placed the web.config here along with a login.aspx, I get the above message when I try to build my web site. I have VS2005, ASP.NET 2.0 Have a look at this blog, especially the second point. http://geekswithblogs.net/ranganh/archive/2005/04/25/37609.aspxThanks,MaxLet Me Google That For You! Yes, figured this out: -thanks,  raghu1: Yes, figured this out: -thanks,  I don't think this i...

Web resources about - Parser Error Message: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configure - asp.net.installation-setup