HELP - Installing VS.NET 2003 on Windows 2000 Pro without IIS, and use IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003 Server

I am having troubles understanding what I need to do to integrate Visual Basic .NET 2003 with IIS 6.0, where VS.NET is installed on my Windows 2000 machine, but the IIS is running on a separate Windows 2003 Server.

We purchase Visual Basic .NET Standard.   I assume that is all that is required for creating ASP.NET pages, Web services and Web applications?

We ran the setup on the Windows 2000 machine.   The prerequisites were installed, followed by VB.NET.   We installed the .NET Framework 1.1 SDK and then the .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1.

On the Windows 2003 Server, IIS 6.0 was installed, followed by .NET Framework 1.1 SDK, and then Windows 2003 Server Service Pack 1 (which includes the .NET Framework SP1 patches).    I then went into Add/Remove Windows Components and added ASP.NET and Frontpage Server 2002 Extensions.

Do I also need to run setup for Visual Basic .NET on the Windows 2003 Server to enable communication between the two?   I saw an article that indicated there are server components that should be installed?   Are these shipped with Visual Basic .NET or do you need something else?

Any and all help is appreciated.   If you have any useful links for installation please send them my way.
Thanks,
Garry.

0
nachsart

I am pretty sure you need to have IIS installed locally to use VS.NET to develop ASP.NET applications.

Just install the IIS that comes with your win2k box and you should be good to go.  Just make sure you remember to register the framework with IIS after you have it installed.

C# / C++ Developer
0
Kelsey
10/28/2005 4:32:22 PM
Kelsey,

Thanks for your comments.   I continued to try and get things working, and found something suggesting aspnet_regiis /i to register asp.net with IIS.   I did this, and then followed up on a problem related to cached credentials which was fixed by rejoining the domain, and after that, I seem to be able to use FrontPage Server Extensions to create my web application on the remote server.    Using UNC as a Web Access type still fails, but as long as I have some way to do it that is good.    Having said that, I still do not know if this is the best way to do this, and still think I'm missing some important steps in the installation process.   It seems Microsoft has hundreds of KB articles each with different steps (very confusing).

My Windows 2003 Server running IIS 6.0 is running in a virtual PC (vmware environment).   I have several other pieces of software installed on the web server, and as patches come out, I need to be able to test the effect they have on the whole system.   Using a virtual machine is ideal because I can install a patch or upgrade some component, and then revert if it breaks something, and try again.

Any further comments or suggestions are appreciated.

In the meantime, the next piece of the puzzle is getting the remote debugging working.

Cheers,
Garry
0
nachsart

Problem with .NET MVC 1.0 on IIS 6.0 ( Windows Server 2003 )
 Hi everbody, finally, it was time to deploy my fresh MVC app. on my Windows Server 2003...Well, as you all know.. this won't work without some extra effort ( e.g. including the wildcard filter ).. So i did this and what happened was: nothing...I still can't access any .aspx file in my folderstructure from any webserver, as all my trys end in a 404..Now i don't have a single idea left...Here's what i got so far:- I'm currently running on .NET 2.0 as i wasn't able to install 3.5 on the Win 2003 Server ( maybe because it's a virtual server? )  -> C...

VS .Net 2003 remote web project, windows xp & windows server 2003 setup
Hi everyone, I have a windows server 2003 setup as a server with IIS 6 & VS 2003 .Net I created an account programmatically for a user with frontpage extensions 2002. The accont works fine when using VS Studion .Net 2003 on the server machine however when I try to create a web project using a windows xp client machine with VS .Net 2003 it fails with a combination of "this user is not a member of the author group" (the user is setup as an administrator on the server and also has administrator front page author privilege) & the user has correct inheritable privileges on th...

IIS server works with vs.net but not vs.net 2003 ?
Trying to program in asp.net 1.1 via visual studio and running IIS 5.1. After getting asp.net to work, i am getting the dreaded '...Internal Server Error 500..." if I try to start a new Solution in VS.Net 2003. However, VS.Net will allow me to start a web application with no problems. Truth is stranger than fiction, but nothing is stranger than visual studio.... Any help would be appreciated. Thanks....

Enumerating IIS 6.0 Properties using ADSI on Windows Server 2003
Hallo guys, I've got problems with ADSI on Windows Server 2003. I am programming a configuration tool for our Server, which shall be running on Windows Server 2003. On my local development machine, I use Windows XP Pro SP2. After investigating the possibilities to programmatically configure the system, I found that ADSI would be perfect for some configuration to be retrieved, viewed and changed. I wrote two test application, a local Windows Forms application, and an APS.NET web application, that enumeraters all IIS properties, also the properties of child entries, using ADSI from ...

To use the IIS 6.0 Web server redirector plug-in on Windows 2003
I=81@use EAserver 5.3 o use the IIS 6.0 Web server redirector plug-in on Windows 2003 , perform the following configuration steps, in addition to the steps described in Chapter 4 of the Installation Guide: (url=3dhttp://www.sybase.com/detail?id=3d1038498#BAJJGDGI) ---8.5.1 Chapter 4, Installing and Configuring a Web Server Redirector Plug-In) I try to the method ,and system variable set use : Troubleshooting the IIS Redirector for EAServer 4.2(url=3dhttp://www.sybase.com/detail?id=3d1024955) to set the redirector.cfg and WSPLUGIN_CONFIG_FILE system variable but the Easerver not p...

IIS 6.0 - Windows 2003 Server - 2000 Domain
I came across this today and it took me a bit to pin it down: If you are using ASP.NET in an intranet environment with windows authentication, there are some extra steps to take to ensure that your clients will successfully authenticate. We moved quite a few ASP.NET Apps for a client from win2K servers to Win2k3 and had this strange issue... thought i'd throw it out there. Article on Kerberos Authentication of IIS Applications on 2003 server in 2000 domainSteve WalkerSenior ConsultantSharePoint ForumsSharePoint Architecture...

Cannot create a new WebApplication1 by use Microsoft Visual Studio .NET on the IIS 6 windows 2003
Cannot create a new WebApplication1 by use Microsoft Visual Studio .NET on the IIS 6 windows 2003 It says: Unable to create web project 'Webapplication1". The file path'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\webapplication1' does not correspond to the URL 'http://localhostWebapplication1'/ The two need to map to the same server location. HTTP Erroe 404: Not Found. It make me canot use Microsoft Visual Studio .NET on server 2003 does any one know how to fix this problems. i try to make those folder share and web sharing, but it still have this problems, who has any idea for me...........

GW 6.0 Webaccess on IIS 6 (Windows 2003 server)?
Have someone tried and installed succefully Groupwise 6.0 webaccess on IIS 6.0 (Windows 2003 server)? In the Groupwise 6.0 documentation stays IIS 5 (Win2000) as the highest MS plattform. Thanks on the issue. Alberto, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options a...

VS .NET 2003 crush with APPLET tag (Windows 2003 server)?!?
I have Visual Studio .NET 2003 (v. 7.1.xxxx) running on Windows 2003 server. When i try to insert APPLET tag in HTML mode into an ASP.NET page my Visual Studio crushs on attempt to switch to Design mode. There is same problem with all ASP.NET pages with <APPLET></APPLET> There isn't problem do similarly thing on Windows XP. Any ideas? Thx ...

opening a solution file in VS.NET 2003 ( in Windows Server 2003)
Hi, I could not open a visual studio 2002 solution file (ASP.NET application) in Visual Studio 2003. VS.NET simple hangs up with message "Contacting web server" in Windows Server 2003. If i tweak something on IIS Default web site folder, i get different message like "web access failed", "could not map <localfolder> to http://localhost". I have gone through various forums and applied almost all suggested solutions like 0. tweaking ".sln" file 1. deleting VSWEBCache files 2. renaming the web.config file 3. added temp MIME metadata...

unsiall .net & IIS on WIndows Server 2003
Hi, How can I uninstall .net framework 1.1 from windows server 2003? It does not show up in Add\Remove programs of Control Panels. Also, how do I unsiantall IIS? Removing all Windows Components doe snot seem to do it. Thanks. -Shefali Got this from another post. 'am posting here for everyones benefit. They cannot be uninstalled. They're part of the OS....

Deploying to Windows 2003 server (IIS 6.0)
When i try to do this, all i get are "404 file not found" errors. Unlike everyone else with problems (they seem to at least get to view Default.aspx).I have updated the Routes Global.asax.cs  to include the .mvc reference. I als checked that i have the .mvc mapping. All to no avail.The thing is: i had to manually add the .aspx  mapping as well. Is that normal? (IIS newb here). For completenes sake: this is with Preview 2. Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this.  Mangli:The thing is: i had to manually add the .aspx  mapping as well. Is that...

Error logs in Windows Server 2003 IIS 6.0
I have a client that is trying to access an aspx xml listener and it's returning an internal server error 500.  I go to look in the log files (C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\...) for that site and there hasn't been a connection even made that day...which kind of makes sense because of the error.  I've checked the event viewer, but didn't find anything around the time the error occured on the client side...  My question is, where in the world can I look for errors to try and resolve this issue?  The server error 500 happens off and on, bu...

Mobilink Redirector
Hi, Environment: ASA 9.0.2 Build 3182 Windows Server 2003 and IIS6 Is Mobilink redirector supported? If so, please provide me with the steps to set it up. Thanks! I really appreciated. Regards, Wei We do not currently support IIS 6.0 with the MobiLink redirector. Although we will not likely be able to add support for this in Jasper, our hope is to add it in either a subsequent EBF or minor release. -- Liam Cavanagh Sr. Product Manager Certified ASA Developer Version 8 iAnywhere <Wei> wrote in message news:435e6ed5.6af7.16816...

Win 2003 web server on LAN with iis 6.0 and .net 2.0 doesn't return HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name value
Hi. I'm accessing a Win 2003 web server on LAN with iis 6.0 and .net 2.0 that doesn't reuturn HttpContext.Current.User.Identity.Name value in asp.net 2.0 c# although I am logged on to the network domain.  Any advice on why and how to rectify this? The web.config file has authentication mode="Windows" set.  Thanks for any help!...

Web resources about - HELP - Installing VS.NET 2003 on Windows 2000 Pro without IIS, and use IIS 6.0 on Windows 2003 Server - asp.net.installation-setup

Solar panels are lifted into place.

Iran installing new nuclear equipment

Gillard defends installing Slipper