Getting "XML Parsing Error: not well-formed" after deploying to local IIS

I'm new to ASP .NET & after learning some basic controls, I'm trying to deploy a simple website to the local IIS on my machine.  I've tried both copying the dev website to to local IIS & using the publishing mechanism and both methods give me the same error when I visit url http://localhost/DeployTest/default.aspx where DeployTest is the project name, I get the following error message

XML Parsing Error: not well-formed
Location: http://localhost/DeployTest/default.aspx
Line Number 1, Column 2:<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>
-^

 Any help'd be greately appreciated.

 Regards,

Ban

0
letterpigeon

this error usually happens to me when one of the xml nodes has a character that needs converted to it's html entity...

ie: there is an ampersand "&" in the content, and it needs converted to "&amp;"

this can also happen if you're missing required parts of a well-formed xml document. such as the doctype header

Jeff Turner (simpleModus)

Don't forget to mark the correct answer for your
question to help out future visitors!
0
tfsmag
2/19/2007 3:33:12 PM

But I'm only deploying a website with absolute nothing but a default webpage in it & the page's content only contains the prototype code generated by Visual Studio 2005.  The code is as follow:

 <%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>

<head runat="server">
    <title>Untitled Page</title>
</head>
    <form id="form1" runat="server">

    </form>

 So I really don't know what the problem is?  Am I missing steps to get it to deployed successfully?

Thanks!

 Ban

0
letterpigeon
2/19/2007 9:13:43 PM
Is your website set to run on the 2.0 framework? You can check this in IIS by going to the ASP.net tab and seeing what version it's set to run on on the drop down. If it's still set to 1.1 that might be whats causing your error.

Jeff Turner (simpleModus)

Don't forget to mark the correct answer for your
question to help out future visitors!
0
tfsmag
2/19/2007 11:28:36 PM
I just checked & it's configured for 2.0.
0
letterpigeon
2/20/2007 3:54:15 AM
If you installed IIS after you installed the .NET Framework then you may need to re-register the framework with IIS. Details here.

mycodetrip.com
0
haathi
3/26/2007 11:13:58 PM

i had the same thing, i'm running on XP home, the problem that i didn't have IIS and a web server on my computer, that is the problem.

first: try to run your application from the visual web developer.

second: after it runs ok, deploy it on XP professional or 2003,2000 server, with IIS and web service enabled, make sure you set the option "ASP.NET2.0" not "ASP.NET1.1" in the properties of the IIS webservice.

good luck

0
awsrasul

"XML Parsing Error: not well-formed"
Hi,I just made a simple ASP.net 2.0 website on my computer via Visual Studio 2005 and uploaded it to my host but instead of my simple page, it generates this: XML Parsing Error: not well-formedLocation: hostname.com/Default.aspxLine Number 1, Column 2:<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true"  CodeFile="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="_Default" %>-^ I searched the web and realized that maybe IIS is of on their servers but they are a well known host and I think its enabled by default. Thank you for your time Sincerly,test84 Make sur...

When I get .XML document with Request.Form["xml"].ToString(); it gets error.
XmlDocument xmlDocument = new XmlDocument(); xmlDocument.LoadXml(Request.Form["xml"].ToString());  I want system doesn't interrupt the code execution. How can I do system doesn't give error message?  Thanks.  Error Message  A potentially dangerous Request.Form value was detected from the client (xml="...8859-9" ?><BORCELIK><Tarih>09/...").  ...

Getting "XML Parsing Error: no element found" even when no code is in form!
I published a default.aspx webform to IIS 6 and got the great error message:XML Parsing Error: no element foundLocation: http://Courses/test/survey.aspxLine Number 1, Column 1: I have no extra code in this page, it's just the page that visual studio 2008 creates when starting a new web application project. It's worked fine forever. The only "change" that's happened on the server was a software installation of the Oracle Database 11g Release 1 Client and Oracle Developer Tools for Visual Studio. I also had the server admin set some environment variables.  Has a...

"Firefox could not install this item because "install-lzo..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist"
Name: suresh Product: Firefox Summary: "Firefox could not install this item because "install-lzo..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist" Comments: Hi I am very much satisfied with Firefox.I had a problem when opening the site "www.crickinfo.com".It showed me to install a plugin and it failed to install the plug-inn by giving this me message "Firefox could not install this item because "install-lzo..rdf" (provided by the item) is not well-formed or does not exist. Please contact the author about this pr...

PB 10.0 gets "program Error" on "Deploy Workspace"
I have a small application which was built in PB 8.0. I migrated it to PB 10.0 and it compiled successfully. I can run the app in the workspace. Incremental and full builds are successful. When I attempt to "Deploy workspace" some processing is done, and when the message window displays "Inspecting application libraries" the program fails with a messagebox "Program Error" "Pb100.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created". Has anyone else experienced this problem...

Get "Mail"/"Get "News" / "Write"/"Post" buttons?
If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me and probably others from constantly forgetting to make the change before proceeding. :-) Or is there an extension to do this which I don't know about? Thanks! Bob Bob P wrote: > If the "Get Mail" button text changed to "Get News", and "Write" > changed to "Post" when TB's in the news-reading mode, it would save me > and probably others...

New Install: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> error
Hi,I'm new to .net.  I'm trying to install DotNetNuke on my XP Pro with IIS 5.0 box.  I've made all the changes to web.config, created the db with permissions and I'm still getting the same error.Can't figure it out!Here's the error:  Server Error in '/DotNetNuke' Application. Parser Error Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately. Parser Error Message: Stream is not a valid resource file.Source Error: Line 1...

I couldn't install Visual Studio.Net 2003, while installing an error message "Internal Error is comming"
[DMW: deleted due to the length of the log, and what follows is what's important][09/29/05,14:28:23] Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 - English: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : ACTION FAILURE: Action ended 14:28:23: CADpc.D0DF3458_A845_11D3_8D0A_0050046416B9. Return value 3. See MSI log for details.[09/29/05,14:28:23] Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 - English: ***ERRORLOG EVENT*** : ACTION FAILURE: Action ended 14:28:23: INSTALL. Return value 3. See MSI log for details.[09/29/05,14:28:30] Visual Studio .NET Enterprise Architect 2003 - English: MsiInstallProduct return cod...

VS.NET 2005 is ignoring in web.config strict="true". I get no error when I try this: Dim x As Integer = "string"
Hello,I have this in my VS.NET 2005 web.config <compilation debug="true" strict="true" explicit="true">When I do this in my vb code:Dim x As Integer = "string"I get no error. When I hit compilation I also get no error. What am I doing wrong?Thanks for helping!Regards,J. Bauer It's a bug of some sort See this response by Scott Guthriehttp://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/viewfeedback.aspx?feedbackid=3c1c9898-8076-4f69-a5e2-e99573d03c6e Unfortunately we don’t have a GUI based way to configure this. L It is something we will make sure gets added back in, though, with the next...

Any idea why .NET 2.0 service pack 1 give me "The server tag is not well formed. " error?
I just installed .NET 2.0 SP1, those forms worked before now give me "The server tag is not well formed. " error. any idea?   Can you post a specific line where this is happening?  I often get this when there is not a space between attributes on a control like  <asp:Textbox runat="server"id="Textbox1" />Community Coder Yes! you got it quickly. I found it is the xml transform. I create some code dynamically with xml transform, I used &#32; to make sure there is a space between attributes, it seems &#32; doesn't work unde...

How to get rid of "_setup" or "_install" during installation?
 When I create a setup project, I like naming it the same name as what it is going to install plus a suffix like "_setup" or "_install" or even "_msi"The suffix makes it easy to find in the solution.  However, when doing the actual install, it wants to put the installed website or web application into a virtual directory with the name of the install project rather than the project the install project is installing.  Every once in a while I seem to get it right and what shows up during the install process is the name without the _setup suffix. I...

Error on <form enctype="multipart/form-data" runat="server">
Hi to all... i have this problem which occured when i was uploading a picture into the SQL 2000. i am using VB script and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005... the error on"<pages enableEventValidation="true"/>"... can anyone help me??  i am using a master template for my webpage... everything work jus fine before i insert this "<form enctype="multipart/form-data" runat="server">" at the top of the page after "<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="ContentPlaceHolder1" Runat="Server&...

How can I solve this error "XML Parsing Error: no element found"
 heres my code behind in UploadImage.aspx.vb _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Imports System.Data.SqlClientImports System.ConfigurationImports System.IOPartial Class UploadImage    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page    Protected Sub Button1_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click        Dim conn As New SqlConnection        Dim comm As New SqlCommand  ...

Installed AjaxToolkit but get the error "A ScriptManager is required " error ? What is going on?
So I created a new tab in my toolbox and added the AjaxToolkit file which I placed in my bin folder first. Everything works fine, the ajax tools are displaying no problem. So next I decide I want to add a calendarExtender to my gridview and associate it with a button so when a user edits the appoitment date field they will be able to select it from the calendar. However when I run the file I recieve this error: A ScriptManager is required on the page to use ASP.NET AJAX Script Components.Exception Details: System.InvalidOperationException: A ScriptManager is required on the page to use ASP....

Web resources about - Getting "XML Parsing Error: not well-formed" after deploying to local IIS - asp.net.installation-setup